Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Should PATH add Marion Station?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/5 0:15
Group:
Registered Users
Marion is quite far from the Path, many apartments/house close to 20 minutes walk to JSQ. A new Marion station will help the residents a lot. Also the area is being rebuilt. More and more residents are moving in.

Posted on: 2022/5/5 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
That station is needed, there are now thousands of people now located in that area who would daily that the PATH. There could be an express train from Marion that by-pass Journal Square so Journal Square passengers would not be more crowded.

Posted on: 2022/4/27 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
This is very dumb and I cant believe they are still entertaining this.

1. It wont relieve strain from JSQ as the majority of people getting on and off at JSQ still will. This only serves a tiny portion of the local areas population

2. This is too close to JSQ to be needed. Those who would
hop on this station are about a 10 min walk from JSQ

3. This money and time would be so better used extending the PATH 1 mile to the Newark Airport, which would ACTUALLY be useful.

Posted on: 2022/4/27 19:39

Edited by nafco on 2022/4/27 19:59:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop, Tom DeGise, & Bob Menendez all in favor of Marion Street PATH Station in Jersey City

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

“In understanding the economic impacts resulting from the pandemic, we will look to the developers to fully fund the construction of a two-platform, ten car above-ground station, with minor modifications to existing tracks previously constructed in anticipation of this extension,” Fulop said in his February 1st letter to Peter Simon, the chief of staff to PANYNJ Chair Kevin O’Toole.

“As discussed in recent years with the developers involved, we are confident that the proposed development in the area will pay for the necessary capital improvements … The Marion PATH Station would provide a critical juncture to tens of thousands of our residents and commuters to complement and extend Jersey City’s existing public transit infrastructure while filling the gaps in areas that need it most.”

https://hudsoncountyview.com/fulop-tom ... h-station-in-jersey-city/

Posted on: 2022/4/9 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
YES to a Marion PATH station.

Why should everyone along the PATH line lose 10 minutes, because a small group of JC residents don't want to walk 10 minutes to JSQ?

Ridiculous.

It's closer to 90 seconds, no? Maybe less. And it's not everyone along the PATH line. Just folks traveling to or from Newark or Harrison will be impacted.

Of course the real reason is the billions in economic activity that could occur by redevelopment. Developers that own own lands next to the site of the Marion PATH station that can now make the argument for extreme densities and Journal Square II.

The day I read Puccini's Restaurant was purchased was the day I knew lobbying for a Marion Station was underway.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _west_side_with_19_m.html

Quote:
JERSEY CITY -- Puccini's Restaurant, the famed Italian eatery and catering hall on the city's West Side, sold earlier this month along with six adjacent parcels for $19.5 million, The Jersey Journal has learned.

The site is already zoned for multi-family, mid-rise buildings, so Amerestate would need no special permits from the city to construct up to eight stories (or 85 feet) and as many as 580 residential units.

If a PATH station is built, the land likely gets rezoned and it's worth a hell of a lot more than the purchase price. 580 units easily becomes a couple thousand.

+1 If our city planners were on the ball, they would see the advantages of creating more direct rail connections to NYC, in order to encourage wider development, boost property values outside of DTJC, and let more of JC live up to it's potential! I stand by my YES vote!

Posted on: 2016/2/24 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Yeah, I don't think this will be a viable option unless the PA and MTA communicate with each other so monthly path cards can be used in the subways.

Since that's probably not ever going to happen, I can't see a route that's slightly longer and 2x the cost catching on.

Given the couple minutes between trains, it seems that just grabbing the first train that shows up at Grove would be optimal (by a very small time margin).

And, personally, the cost is more than worth it for less-crowded trains and straight tracks that don't result in people getting thrown into one another every 30 seconds.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ajf88 wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Open gangway. Or just paint on the long platforms themselves. "Board here" for these short platform stations. Not rocket science.

I do think that people are underestimating how big the underground transfer at WTC will be when it fully opens (eventually). I know that it makes Grove->WTC->2/3->Penn competitive with Grove->33rd depending on when the trains show up.

I sometimes take the R up to 23rd St. when the 33rd line is messed up, but paying the extra $2.75 every day isn't a great option to me.

Yeah, I don't think this will be a viable option unless the PA and MTA communicate with each other so monthly path cards can be used in the subways.

Since that's probably not ever going to happen, I can't see a route that's slightly longer and 2x the cost catching on.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 16:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/4 17:34
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Open gangway. Or just paint on the long platforms themselves. "Board here" for these short platform stations. Not rocket science.

I do think that people are underestimating how big the underground transfer at WTC will be when it fully opens (eventually). I know that it makes Grove->WTC->2/3->Penn competitive with Grove->33rd depending on when the trains show up.

I sometimes take the R up to 23rd St. when the 33rd line is messed up, but paying the extra $2.75 every day isn't a great option to me.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

It's so absurd how simple a solution this would be to drastically increase capacity for commuters by not only increasing available floor space per train car (about 15%, which is significant), but by being able to make the trains longer than the stations.

Of course, nothing simple in the public works world is ever easy, but it would solve so many more problems than a new random station in no-man's-land at a much lower cost.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Honestly what I'd like to see is a north-south line in JC along the more western side of town. Something from say Bayonne Park up somewhere around JFK north to Union City. That would be a huge addition to the public transportation in this and surrounding towns and would cut the traffic down immensely on that half of the city. However, that's obviously an enormous pipe dream that would never come to fruition because reasons.

Me too -- light rail is planned (unfunded) as part of the Journal Square 2060 Redevelopment plan.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35588

Posted on: 2016/2/23 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

Why should everyone along the PATH line lose 10 minutes, because a small group of JC residents don't want to walk 10 minutes to JSQ?

Ridiculous.

It's closer to 90 seconds, no? Maybe less. And it's not everyone along the PATH line. Just folks traveling to or from Newark or Harrison will be impacted.

Of course the real reason is the billions in economic activity that could occur by redevelopment. Developers that own own lands next to the site of the Marion PATH station that can now make the argument for extreme densities and Journal Square II.

The day I read Puccini's Restaurant was purchased was the day I knew lobbying for a Marion Station was underway.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _west_side_with_19_m.html

Quote:
JERSEY CITY -- Puccini's Restaurant, the famed Italian eatery and catering hall on the city's West Side, sold earlier this month along with six adjacent parcels for $19.5 million, The Jersey Journal has learned.

The site is already zoned for multi-family, mid-rise buildings, so Amerestate would need no special permits from the city to construct up to eight stories (or 85 feet) and as many as 580 residential units.

If a PATH station is built, the land likely gets rezoned and it's worth a hell of a lot more than the purchase price. 580 units easily becomes a couple thousand.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
More stations are generally a good thing, and Marion is a cheap fix, as it's on an existing line. It would reduce crowding in journal Sq (such as crowding ever exists there), but not on the train itself. The gentleman (-woman) is correct in that it would add more people onto the trains, which is an issue we don't want at the moment.

However, the added capacity issue is - at least last I checked - being addressed slowly in the planned expansion of platforms. I know that Grove St is not at max capacity for length of trains... anyone getting out from the last car could tell you that. There is definitely room for at least one more car at that station. I don't know about the rest, but to my knowledge, all of the train stations on the NWK-WTC line are capable right now of adding another car to it. Not sure why they haven't, but that's the PA for you.

Honestly what I'd like to see is a north-south line in JC along the more western side of town. Something from say Bayonne Park up somewhere around JFK north to Union City. That would be a huge addition to the public transportation in this and surrounding towns and would cut the traffic down immensely on that half of the city. However, that's obviously an enormous pipe dream that would never come to fruition because reasons.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

Plus, the money that could go into a Marion stop could be spent on open gangway trains, assuming PATH can handle them.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

Ridiculous.

Quote:
I was walking around to get a feel for the neighborhood, as there are some condos on the market that are in my price range.

Wanna guess why they're in your price range...?

Speaking of PATH - I just read an interesting article on CURBED.COM about new subway lines in NYC[/quote]
hahahaha

Wake me up when they finish the 2nd Avenue Subway.

Quote:
NO to express trains/skipping stops, though. PATH should focus on more trains/hour.

You do realize that adding a train stop will slow down the lines, and make them more congested, right?

Plus, the money that could go into a Marion stop could be spent on open gangway trains, assuming PATH can handle them.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
if they are going to do anything they should try to lengthen the platforms to accommodate additional cars. a marion station would be a waste of money. these expensive projects only make sense if they add capacity to the current system.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Funny, as on a studio tour of Mana Contemporary the guide announced they were lobbying PATH to open a platform exactly where the Marion footbridge is.

This a company that rapes the public @ $15 to cross the Holland Tunnel Yet won't pay it's due taxes to Jersey City.

The wacked out monopoly that is the Port Authority needs to be dissolved and or run more efficiently and effectively.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Speaking of PATH - I just read an interesting article on CURBED.COM about new subway lines in NYC, it also proposes a new PATH line running alongside the HBLR down to Bayonne and over to Staten Island -

I hate these delusional BIG IDEAS that people get published. Like the Hudson Pedestrian Bridge. This idea is just as stupid considering there's no capacity in the tunnel for a 3rd PATH line. Period.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
YES to a Marion PATH station. I was walking around to get a feel for the neighborhood, as there are some condos on the market that are in my price range. JSQ proper, while close, feels out of the way as so many streets dead-end at the PATH rails. A Marion stop would really benefit people who live closer to the up-and-coming area around CANCO, as well as the quieter areas around Marion Place.

Speaking of PATH - I just read an interesting article on CURBED.COM about new subway lines in NYC, it also proposes a new PATH line running alongside the HBLR down to Bayonne and over to Staten Island - http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_ind ... ds/2016/02/fnycs_2016.pdf

NO to express trains/skipping stops, though. PATH should focus on more trains/hour.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
You can't bypass stations on a single track line to add capacity. In order to add capacity you need another line, or more capacity at the end points (NWK/ WTC/ 33rd to queue more trains). The stops in the middle on a single track allow easier access, but do nothing to add or limit the total capacity.

The only other options for more capacity is the new signaling, new articulated cars or larger platforms. More stations don't do anything, though they could be nice for other reason (shorter walks, less crowding on a specific platform etc.)

Posted on: 2016/2/22 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
yes. this would be awesome especially if light rail ever gets built along the hackensack river and the two systems were linked.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/22 12:24

Should PATH add Marion Station?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Marion Station? What say JClist. I think there may be merit, but I'm not so sure about the skipping of stations. I had the biggest laugh of the weekend when I heard the suggestion of having the Journal Square train bypass Grove and go directly to Newport. LoL!!

Posted on: 2016/2/22 5:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017