Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Moving to Jersey City? Join the Club.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

want authentic thai food...better go to thailand

no farangs eat here, it's real Thai food made for Thai ppl:

Khao Kang

Thai Restaurant ? Elmhurst
Address: 76-20 Woodside Ave, Elmhurst, NY 11373
Phone:(718) 806-1807

same same but different

Posted on: 2016/2/16 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

no farangs eat here, it's real Thai food made for Thai ppl:

Khao Kang

Thai Restaurant ? Elmhurst
Address: 76-20 Woodside Ave, Elmhurst, NY 11373
Phone:(718) 806-1807

Posted on: 2016/2/16 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm surprised that any discussion of gentrification in JC has not touched upon SoDoSoPa.

And of course, for those of you in search of truly "authentic" Asian cuisine, introducing: CtPa Town.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Or Somtum Der, or Larb Ubol, or Kiin, or Pok Pok...

I bitch and moan about the bland-ization of ethnic food all the time, but it's not like the good stuff isn't available - just requires a bit of research and a train ride.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Yeah, Thai I had 30 years ago in Manhattan was more authentic than most you can get today, it hadn't been "Americanized" yet. The family ate at the giant Chinese food court in Flushing the other night, the kids were amazed that when it said "spicy" it was REALLY spicy! Around here even when you ask for spicy Thai or Szechuan, the heat is barely noticeable.

BTW, the dumplings and hand pulled noodles we got were the best dishes.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

I know hate all the crowding that is happening and will continue to happen. The new restaurants are okay but Newark Ave. now resembles Hoboken Frat douchiness on a summer weekend night. Jersey City has lost any chance of having a "cool" factor. It's just another Flushing, Queens. In 20 years it will all be underwater and home owners will be f**ked.

Flushing Queens is just about all Korean and there is some rocking food there - not quite as good as Elmhurst / Woodside, most of the new places on Newark Ave are just lame Yuppie plays - overpriced bland nothing food made for people who just don't know any better because they got 0 real world life experience under their belts.

example : Sawadee Thai , run by Chinese ppl., you think the Yups know anything about how authentic Thai food taste like ?

There used to be some great old school spots in DTJC

Tania's Polish Restaurant
Fiore's Deli
etc.

The last hope is JSQ as it's a wide open canvass as the development in the area is starting.

Time will tell.

Do the JC locals, who have never left, know any better about how authentic Thai food taste like ?

Posted on: 2016/2/16 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

I know hate all the crowding that is happening and will continue to happen. The new restaurants are okay but Newark Ave. now resembles Hoboken Frat douchiness on a summer weekend night. Jersey City has lost any chance of having a "cool" factor. It's just another Flushing, Queens. In 20 years it will all be underwater and home owners will be f**ked.

Flushing Queens is just about all Korean and there is some rocking food there - not quite as good as Elmhurst / Woodside, most of the new places on Newark Ave are just lame Yuppie plays - overpriced bland nothing food made for people who just don't know any better because they got 0 real world life experience under their belts.

example : Sawadee Thai , run by Chinese ppl., you think the Yups know anything about how authentic Thai food taste like ?

Fiore's Deli
etc.

The last hope is JSQ as it's a wide open canvass as the development in the area is starting.

Time will tell.

Do the JC locals, who have never left, know any better about how authentic Thai food taste like ?

Posted on: 2016/2/16 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fiore's Deli
etc.

Time will tell.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I am a 5 min drive to Bayonne... you people think Bayonne is far LMAO... it takes me 20 min to get WTC why would you think coming from Bayonne take eternity? Bayonne also has the a flyer on the lightrail that zips them to Hoboken in 15 min...

Also during Sandy when the light rail was out I drove to Bayonne sometimes to catch the bus to Wall street which took 40 min and sometimes less. Other times I caught the ferry at Port Liberte. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Bayonne but its distance from Manhattan is not one of them.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/nj ... e/129-5th-st/pid_9076741/

Tons of price drops = a possible motived seller.

Not all that far from 8th street light station although need to cross 440, perhaps there is an overpass walkway.

Bayonne Crossing has tons of shopping and it's near by.

Great starter home with what looks like little needed in the way of renovations (big plus considering the cost and time for dealing with contractors) - 3 car PARKING which is huge after dealing with the struggles in JC if you have more than one car.

I'd come in low @ $205k cash offer (you can always go up so start low) with no contingencies (there is a noted lead paint disclosure) after a really thorough balls to the wall home inspection with a specula and also seeing clear title ready to transfer.

It's brick and seems to have been built in the late 50's when there was still a level of craftsmanship you simply don't see today with the all the prefab crap used.

Sure it's Bayonne, considered the armpit of NJ - but it is actually a safe community with a lot of pride in homeownership there.

You should have seen Hamilton Park 25 years ago, it was rank nasty nasty.

Just food for thought.

I'm sure there are much much better deals for those who want to do the leg work and hit the ground running or pay premiums to stay in the hip area of JC.

Anyone have old pics of Hamilton Park? I tried a quick google search.

I have plenty of old pics and videos too. I have been here longer than most. HP was never that bad. Yes, we had crime and I even saw a guy seconds after he was shot in the head during a coat robbery. He lay on the sidewalk on 8th St by St. Francis Hospital (That's the Hamilton Place Condos for you newbies) as blood streamed out of his head and pooled up all around him. He was dead in seconds. My buddies and I played football in HP almost every weekend from 88' through to the early 90's. The first brownstone I lived in next to Salon X (formerly Freddy's Deli) sold for $80,000. The PATH Trains were much less crowded and the walk through the new construction around Newport could be scary late at night as there were few people around. Anyone else remember that temporary bridge thing everyone had to pass through on the way to the PATH? It was where the office buildings are just past the light-rail station. Luckily, I never had any incidents on the PATH. We used to walk to Maxwell's and the Elysian in Hoboken. That walk was pretty desolate back then. Nowadays, although it's great for home values, most of the longtime residents I know hate all the crowding that is happening and will continue to happen. The new restaurants are okay but Newark Ave. now resembles Hoboken Frat douchiness on a summer weekend night. Jersey City has lost any chance of having a "cool" factor. It's just another Flushing, Queens. In 20 years it will all be underwater and home owners will be f**ked.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 6:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

score09 wrote:
The anti-capitalist revolution is not far off. Bye, bye to Jersey City home-owner equity...how could you have been so stupid? LOL.

It's funny, on another site I was telling some right wing asshole that their "Giant Radical Left Wing" bugaboo was a myth, that I lived in a D stronghold and everyone I knew was quite MOR. Now I know actual Revolutionaries exists!! Tell me precious rare bird, do you find enough to eat in our conservative modern world?

Posted on: 2016/2/16 6:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Is now a good time to move to JSQ? Or is the market there - in my case for a small condo - too close to peaking?
Any thoughts, insights, suggestions on getting into the JSQ condo scene?

Better to sell & rent at the moment. I don't see a big upside to buying given the trouble in the financial markets, increased JSQ development/supply, and an increasing risk of a recession. Sit on the sidelines for a year or 2 - then decide whether to buy.

http://www.realtor.com/mortgage/tools/rent-or-buy-calculator/

Fully agree (for now anyway.) This thread reads like the ebullience of the 1999 stock market internet bubble. Just a little pin prick (you may feel a little sick.)

The anti-capitalist revolution is not far off. Bye, bye to Jersey City home-owner equity...how could you have been so stupid? LOL.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 4:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I am a 5 min drive to Bayonne... you people think Bayonne is far LMAO... it takes me 20 min to get WTC why would you think coming from Bayonne take eternity? Bayonne also has the a flyer on the lightrail that zips them to Hoboken in 15 min...

Also during Sandy when the light rail was out I drove to Bayonne sometimes to catch the bus to Wall street which took 40 min and sometimes less. Other times I caught the ferry at Port Liberte. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Bayonne but its distance from Manhattan is not one of them.

Not all that far from 8th street light station although need to cross 440, perhaps there is an overpass walkway.

Great starter home with what looks like little needed in the way of renovations (big plus considering the cost and time for dealing with contractors) - 3 car PARKING which is huge after dealing with the struggles in JC if you have more than one car.

I'd come in low @ $205k cash offer (you can always go up so start low) with no contingencies (there is a noted lead paint disclosure) after a really thorough balls to the wall home inspection with a specula and also seeing clear title ready to transfer.

It's brick and seems to have been built in the late 50's when there was still a level of craftsmanship you simply don't see today with the all the prefab crap used.

Sure it's Bayonne, considered the armpit of NJ - but it is actually a safe community with a lot of pride in homeownership there.

Just food for thought.

I'm sure there are much much better deals for those who want to do the leg work and hit the ground running or pay premiums to stay in the hip area of JC.

Anyone have old pics of Hamilton Park? I tried a quick google search.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City, beyond Newport, is growing in appeal, according to reports

By Nancy Benecki | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on February 14, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Jersey City is growing in popularity for those who would previously consider buying a home in Manhattan or Brooklyn, according to reports.

Those priced out of buying or renting a home across the Hudson River have made Jersey City the fastest growing metropolitan area in New Jersey, according to an article in The New York Times.

The area's abundance of new housing and a relatively quick train ride into New York means Jersey City is shedding "its dingy image and emerging as a destination of choice," according to the article.

With exceptional growth – a six percent increase in population from 2010 to 2014 according to the U.S. Census  – there are concerns about what this boom means on Jersey City's infrastructure and demographic makeup, the article says.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... growing_in_appeal_ac.html

Posted on: 2016/2/15 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Some good tips coming in about JSQ, a short walk from the PATH. I'm more and more convinced it's time to make the leap!

Before you make another "leap", why don't you rent an AirBnB in JS for a couple of weeks to see if you really like it. In the big picture it's not much of an expense, and you don't want to make the same mistake twice of moving somewhere "hoping" you'll like it.

Good advice - we've seen a quite a few posts expressing buyer's remorse. You need to base any decision on a combination of factors - with at least a 7-10 year time horizon. Today I wouldn't move to Bayonne simply because of the way the BMC is run - though 10 years ago I wouldn't have cared.

The PATH from Journal Square could easily become a nightmare with added riders or tunnel closures.

And there isn't any reason to rush. Interest rates look set to stay low for at least 1 year. The reval likely won't impact prices before 2018. Spillover benefit from new development will take years if not decades. Distressed sales listings in 07306 seem pretty high - and might increase further if we enter another recession.

Airbnb is a great suggestion.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Some good tips coming in about JSQ, a short walk from the PATH. I'm more and more convinced it's time to make the leap!

Before you make another "leap", why don't you rent an AirBnB in JS for a couple of weeks to see if you really like it. In the big picture it's not much of an expense, and you don't want to make the same mistake twice of moving somewhere "hoping" you'll like it.

Good advice, if this isn't feasible be sure you do a walk around the area during the day and at night on weekends and week days. You want to be comfortable with the area you will be investing in.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/13 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

I appreciate the input, and I'm sure what you have is a great fit for some people, but it's just not for me. I have a lovely place in the Heights, but what I am missing is that feeling of living in a city, of having 24/7 mass-transit access to other parts of JC, and not just to Manhattan. I don't have a car, I don't want a car. I'm sure Bayonne is lovely too, with lots of nice neighbors, but I want to be more centrally located, not less.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
https://www.redfin.com/NJ/Jersey-City/ ... 7306/unit-5/home/61370634

I tried buying this but was too late with actually moving on it, location is 3 blocks from JSQ Path and it was 159k - peanuts for a cash buyer like myself, you'd better jump if you see anything near the PATH in Journal Square area - it will prove a viable and sound investment either as a rental unit or place to live until you decide to flip it.

This place would be perfect for me! Good tip, thanks. If I can see my place for even a little more than I paid for it, I could pay off the balance of the mortgage and have 20% down for someplace like this.

I need to do my homework on the potential resale of an older model though, given the potential for a lot of new developement - with elevators, amenities, etc. - coming on the market.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

There's a big difference between the NE Bayonne border and the hinterlands, and between WTC, which is the best case, and Midtown. If you're on the west side you're taking a bus all the way up JFK in rush hr.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Just food for thought.

Brick House Bayonne - Not Chuck Wepner

Posted on: 2016/2/13 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Better to sell & rent at the moment. I don't see a big upside to buying given the trouble in the financial markets, increased JSQ development/supply, and an increasing risk of a recession. Sit on the sidelines for a year or 2 - then decide whether to buy.

I agree - given all the economic uncertainties, personally I think the real estate will be going down in the next few years / decade potentially. I'm saving up now for a down payment. fingers crossed!!!

https://www.redfin.com/NJ/Jersey-City/ ... 7306/unit-5/home/61370634

I tried buying this but was too late with actually moving on it, location is 3 blocks from JSQ Path and it was 159k - peanuts for a cash buyer like myself, you'd better jump if you see anything near the PATH in Journal Square area - it will prove a viable and sound investment either as a rental unit or place to live until you decide to flip it.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Just food for thought.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

I agree - given all the economic uncertainties, personally I think the real estate will be going down in the next few years / decade potentially. I'm saving up now for a down payment. fingers crossed!!!

Posted on: 2016/2/13 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/13 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Is now a good time to move to JSQ? Or is the market there - in my case for a small condo - too close to peaking?

Posted on: 2016/2/13 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
The thing about Bayonne is it only "looks" close. In reality you might as well be in Maplewood. Try Googling how long it would take to get from the SW part of Bayonne to midtown.

Here's a fun time waster. Set a Manhattan destination in Googlemaps, then drag around the starting point all over Hudson County. The box will constantly change showing the transit time.

Huge parts of the Heights, and Hoboken were worse than a Bayonne commute to downtown Manhattan.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Wait till they discover Bayonne.

Huge nicely maintained stand alone 3 or 4 bedroom homes with driveways and garages in the back - still floating for around the 250k mark.

Bayonne will make you moan.

The thing about Bayonne is it only "looks" close. In reality you might as well be in Maplewood. Try Googling how long it would take to get from the SW part of Bayonne to midtown.

Here's a fun time waster. Set a Manhattan destination in Googlemaps, then drag around the starting point all over Hudson County. The box will constantly change showing the transit time.

Bill463: Everyone likes to think they discovered America. We've been here nearly 19 and the stories of the "early arrivals" made us feel undeserving of how nice it had gotten.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Ah another piece about the up & coming Jersey City! We purchased 10 years ago and of course we are thrilled that our place has increased value. But in addition to our condo we are blessed to also retain our home in a beautiful suburb just as many of the high profile developers do! Because Jersey City is grand! And it's also grand to drive away from it too! There's only so many of these articles one can stomach. The pretentiousness is often exhausting. I look forward to the next one which will surely spotlight the new small businesses which will take the place of the closed small businesses. I look forward to hearing about the newest art scene run by transplanted mid- westerners which will replace the current ones. Also about 3/4 of the folks that purchased in our condo 10 years ago have moved on to other places that are not Jersey City. Don't get me wrong - we love it here. But the constant self congratulations have become a terrible awful bore.

Posted on: 2016/2/13 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

not contradicting anyone, but it has been a long time coming. in response to posting my sentiments, a friend shared this article on facebook. note that prices took a dive after the market crash (both stock and real estate) in 1988/87 that took a decade to recover -

WHEN HOME IS AN OLD BUILDING IN JERSEY CITY
By MARILYN PELO
Published: February 7, 1985

''IT'S finally our turn,'' Jack Nover, a downtown Jersey City tavern owner said recently. ''Hoboken and Weehawken are running short of buildings to renovate. We're just getting started.''

Redevelopment of this old city directly across the Hudson from Lower Manhattan began about a decade ago, and in the past five years there has been an accelerating interest in renovating Jersey City's 19th-century town houses and row houses and in converting its commercial buildings.

Read more - http://www.nytimes.com/1985/02/07/gar ... lding-in-jersey-city.html

Posted on: 2016/2/12 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

I'm having a realtor come look at my place in the Heights next week, having talked to several its seems I may be able to get out with enough to make a lateral move to someplace with access to PATH. Having lived in the Heights for 7 years I can see it having a certain appeal for those looking for a semi-suburban experience, but I'm coming to the conclusion the smaller condo unit market is going to continue to languish owing to the limited mass transit options, and lackluster leadership.

WT I think this a good time to move into the Journal Square area. You will be catching the upswing in RE values, anything you buy will do well, the old RE adage placing the importance on location applies.

Posted on: 2016/2/12 23:30

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017