Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
63 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Kids in 11 N.J. Cities Have Higher Lead Levels Than Flint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City awarded $689K grant to expand child lead testing program

Jersey City has been awarded a $689,000 grant to expand lead testing for children in the city, according to a release.

This award for the Childhood Lead Exposure Prevention (CLEP) project comes in addition to the $198,000 the city has received in the past to operate the program -- representing a 247 percent increase in funding to the city, according to the release.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_awarded_689k_grant.html

Posted on: 2018/1/15 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewportNJ wrote:
I have sent in those Home Depot water tests... its like throwing a rock into the ocean... never to be heard from again. What a joke.

I just recently used this lab to test my municipal water supply. They were terrific and easy to use. Much better than the store bought/Amazon kits:

http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/

I got the $99 test. My detailed report was delivered via email within five days of test time. I had some concerns about heavy metals and one of the owners took the time to email me several times about my questions.

When I went to the EPA site to compare my results, you get a real good understanding of what is in your water and the source of any contaminants. I would highly recommend this to check your water supply.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 16:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/4 1:37
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/28 16:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
I have sent in those Home Depot water tests... its like throwing a rock into the ocean... never to be heard from again. What a joke.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 15:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/14 1:47
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone has any news about the water test? Quote:
Stringer wrote:

In response to Flint crisis, Jersey City to hire third party to test water supply

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
February 02, 2016 at 2:05 PM

JERSEY CITY — City officials will hire a third-party consultant to test the city's drinking water, a step they call "an extra level of security" for residents in the wake of the Flint water contamination scandal.

The independent testing is intended to corroborate tests currently performed by Suez Jersey City, which runs the city's water and sewer systems. The testing will cost $50,000 and include a search for all contaminants listed on the federal and state drinking water standards lists, city officials said today.

The testing will be more comprehensive than the regular tests performed by Suez, according to the city.

"The situation in Flint is one that no community should have to experience," Mayor Steve Fulop said in a statement. "And while testing is done routinely on the Jersey City water supply residents have reached out asking for comprehensive testing and we thought it was a prudent expense to add an extra level of security for our residents, especially our young children."

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rsey_city_to_hire_th.html

Posted on: 2016/2/28 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City Council urges lawmakers to put $10M into lead prevention fund

The Jersey City Council unanimously passed a resolution urging statewide lawmakers who represent Jersey City, as well as Gov. Chris Christie (R), to appropriate $10 million to the State’s Lead Control Assistance Fund.

“Jersey City is one of the 11 communities of the state that have a higher proportion of young children with elevated lead levels than Flint, Michigan and that sort of challenge deserves the state’s attention and resources,” said Jersey City Council President Rolando Lavarro.

Read more:  http://hudsoncountyview.com/jersey-ci ... nto-lead-prevention-fund/

Posted on: 2016/2/12 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Consumer Reports had an article on buying lead testing kits.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Water quality report for 2015:

https://www.unitedwater.com/uploadedfi ... 0/w_d15_ccr_jcity_web.pdf

Some homes (my old home did) still have lead water mains (which were installed up until the 1960s.). You can also get lead from older soldered copper pipes.

However, don't get too frightened over lead pipes. They can be replaced. Contrary to popular belief, the Romans didn't suffer cases of severe lead poisoning from lead pipes. Lead doesn't build up much when the water is running (metals in elemental form don't dissolve readily in water). Plus, our water is almost neutral in pH, so it is not unusually corrosive.

If the lead is in the form of a salt (will readily dissolve in water), such as lead acetate used in paint, you can be poisoned very easily, as your body will metabolize it. The Romans used lead acetate to sweeten cheap wine.. which is where their poisoning cases came from.

While this report is fine, we care about the independent testing that will verify whether the information contained on the report you linked is truly accurate.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Water quality report for 2015:

https://www.unitedwater.com/uploadedfi ... 0/w_d15_ccr_jcity_web.pdf

Some homes (my old home did) still have lead water mains (which were installed up until the 1960s.). You can also get lead from older soldered copper pipes.

However, don't get too frightened over lead pipes. They can be replaced. Contrary to popular belief, the Romans didn't suffer cases of severe lead poisoning from lead pipes. Lead doesn't build up much when the water is running (metals in elemental form don't dissolve readily in water). Plus, our water is almost neutral in pH, so it is not unusually corrosive.

If the lead is in the form of a salt (will readily dissolve in water), such as lead acetate used in paint, you can be poisoned very easily, as your body will metabolize it. The Romans used lead acetate to sweeten cheap wine.. which is where their poisoning cases came from.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Wondering what the timeline is on the independent water testing. Does anyone know? Is this the kind of thing that will take years to accomplish?

Posted on: 2016/2/5 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Credit to Fulop for ordering independent testing of our water. Good job.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

In response to Flint crisis, Jersey City to hire third party to test water supply

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
February 02, 2016 at 2:05 PM

JERSEY CITY — City officials will hire a third-party consultant to test the city's drinking water, a step they call "an extra level of security" for residents in the wake of the Flint water contamination scandal.

The independent testing is intended to corroborate tests currently performed by Suez Jersey City, which runs the city's water and sewer systems. The testing will cost $50,000 and include a search for all contaminants listed on the federal and state drinking water standards lists, city officials said today.

The testing will be more comprehensive than the regular tests performed by Suez, according to the city.

"The situation in Flint is one that no community should have to experience," Mayor Steve Fulop said in a statement. "And while testing is done routinely on the Jersey City water supply residents have reached out asking for comprehensive testing and we thought it was a prudent expense to add an extra level of security for our residents, especially our young children."

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rsey_city_to_hire_th.html

Posted on: 2016/2/3 1:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/18 19:10
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Is this due to drinking the tap water?

Article states the lead exposure in NJ is due to lead paint, not water. Although I'm not too sure our tap water is that great either after the recent Suez fiascos.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Is this due to drinking the tap water?

Posted on: 2016/2/2 20:26

Kids in 11 N.J. Cities Have Higher Lead Levels Than Flint
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/18 18:53
From Near the water, but on the land
Group:
Registered Users
The New Jersey cities affected by lead were Irvington, Trenton, Newark, Paterson, Plainfield, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Atlantic City, New Brunswick and Passaic, plus Cumberland and Salem counties.

Full Article

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/na ... gher-than-flint/79689404/

Posted on: 2016/2/2 20:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017