Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Smith & Changs is now a We Works
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The businesses at these condos are show-pieces or "staging" if you like. S&C is run by one of the sales-people (and his partner) at Hamilton Place. The Pet food/Baby store is also run by a Silverman employee. I would guess they are paying none or very little rent. They are there to present an attraction to new residents, potential buyers. G.P.'s is mediocre and the other place on the corner has been struggling to keep businesses in there. The pharmacy is, like most pharmacies, a money machine. I have nothing against these places but you should understand that they are not necessarily "quality" as much as they are an attraction.

There's another way of looking at it: The Silvermans are charging appropriate rent for the low foot traffic location instead of charging absurdly high rent like many of our Downtown storefronts that have had repeated turnover and long vacancies.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Stop using it as an office ?so inconsiderate, jeez? Gayle and I .. ? it's not an office, it is a coffee shop where people go to relax, read? nobody wants to hear all your business, nobody cares, so rude !!!

Stop telling businesses how to run their business. Management obviously doesn't mind, so if you do, go somewhere else.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The businesses at these condos are show-pieces or "staging" if you like. S&C is run by one of the sales-people (and his partner) at Hamilton Place. The Pet food/Baby store is also run by a Silverman employee. I would guess they are paying none or very little rent. They are there to present an attraction to new residents, potential buyers. G.P.'s is mediocre and the other place on the corner has been struggling to keep businesses in there. The pharmacy is, like most pharmacies, a money machine. I have nothing against these places but you should understand that they are not necessarily "quality" as much as they are an attraction.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Stop using it as an office ?so inconsiderate, jeez? Gayle and I .. ? it's not an office, it is a coffee shop where people go to relax, read? nobody wants to hear all your business, nobody cares, so rude !!!

Obviously not an Oprah fan...

Posted on: 2016/1/27 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/26 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Quote:

Seems like their only real selling point is that they're right off of HP.

This. My wife purchased a slice of quiche from them about a year ago. It was about 1.5" W x 4" x 1" D, cost something like $4.75 and was dry and flavorless. We used to go there a lot before they converted it to a cafe, but haven't been back since The Quiche.

Yeah, just to add some specifics - if you go into any of the other places I listed, if you get a latte your milk will be very good local and/or organic milk. These guys? Your typical big box store milk. Same with honey or sugar. At their prices you really expect premium ingredients.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 17:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/14 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Gayle and I have been using this as an office, just until my show starts up again. Yelp reviews are still very good.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/smith-and-cha ... neral-goods-jersey-city-2

Posted on: 2016/1/26 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seems like their only real selling point is that they're right off of HP.

This. My wife purchased a slice of quiche from them about a year ago. It was about 1.5" W x 4" x 1" D, cost something like $4.75 and was dry and flavorless. We used to go there a lot before they converted it to a cafe, but haven't been back since The Quiche.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have been lukewarm on them anyway, to be honest. Their coffee, ingredients and service are all below what you would find at a place like Dames, Seven Sheep or Choc-O-Pain while their prices are the same. Seems like their only real selling point is that they're right off of HP.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 15:46

Smith & Changs is now a We Works
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Noticed in the last few months that there are folks who speak loud on their cell phones inside Smith & Changs conducting business?it is like a small we work office inside, with people on their hands free sets yapping away ..loudly. One girl with short red hair is very loud and speaks non-stop. It is now unenjoyable to sit and read at Smith & Changs. Other coffee shops in town have signs and ask clients to use their cell phone outside.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 11:34

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017