Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Smith & Changs is now a We Works
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
This was before the internet and Wifi, but there was a coffee shop near Stanford University that got sick of students ordering one cup of coffee and sitting there for hours on end while studying or whatever. So they instituted a policy of marking the tables with chalk showing the time the person sat down at the table. If all the tables were full with more people wanting to sit down, and any of the tables where people had been sitting were marked with a time where 1/2 an hour or more had passed, they were asked to leave or make another purchase (and the new time was written in chalk on the table, restarting the 1/2 hour clock). How well this policy worked out for the coffee shop, I don't know, but I felt like throwing this into the discussion. Smith & Changs' isn't a convenient location for me anyway so I have no opinion on what goes on there. Just putting in my 2 cents.

Posted on: 2016/1/30 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
The use of laptops doesn't bother me. I see it as the continuation of a long tradition of working in coffee shops with books and notebooks. What I object to is conducting business on phones because the noise disturbs others.

Perhaps different coffee shops can offer different environments. Some can be business friendly, some personal work friendly, and some simply personal.

Posted on: 2016/1/29 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
The use of laptops doesn't bother me. I see it as the continuation of a long tradition of working in coffee shops with books and notebooks. What I object to is conducting business on phones because the noise disturbs others.

To be clear I don't mind the use of laptops either (unless all the space is taken up by them.

I was referring to people using these places as their own personal offices, which is how this started, but I see how my last reply was confusing.

At the same time, despite this rude behavior, if the business owner chooses to allow it then it's their prerogative. If you don't like it go somewhere else or try to complain in person.

Posted on: 2016/1/29 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/29 17:33
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Come in, order, sit, consume and leave. Don't milk that one coffee for 2 hours of table space. It's rude to the coffee shop, even if they don't have the guts to tell you directly.

No, it's not rude at all. How is this hard to comprehend?

If businesses allow a certain behavior, it's clearly not rude. There must be a reason so many coffee shops allow it. I don't like it either but it's not rude - it's how the business is operated.

Social norms determine what is rude behavior, not whether a private enterprise condones such behavior. The behavior is very rude IMO, but as you said, it is the right of a business owner to run their business as they see fit.

If you don't like it don't go. Pretty simple.

I still don't see it as rude. Your private space, your rules.

Posted on: 2016/1/29 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Come in, order, sit, consume and leave. Don't milk that one coffee for 2 hours of table space. It's rude to the coffee shop, even if they don't have the guts to tell you directly.

If businesses allow a certain behavior, it's clearly not rude. There must be a reason so many coffee shops allow it. I don't like it either but it's not rude - it's how the business is operated.

Social norms determine what is rude behavior, not whether a private enterprise condones such behavior. The behavior is very rude IMO, but as you said, it is the right of a business owner to run their business as they see fit.

the only time the laptoppers bother me is on weekends. countless times I've met up with friends for a Saturday coffee at Warehouse, only to leave because the tables were full of people staring at their screens.

Posted on: 2016/1/29 5:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

kencares wrote:

Having people work or study in a coffe shop is the norm. Otherwise you wouldn't find so many outlets available for people to charge there laptops and phones. Those outlets could easily be removed if they wanted to discourage the behavior.

Actually, many places in NYC do exactly that: remove outlets and/or cover them with flat faceplates.

In fact, some Starbucks started doing that about 4 years ago. It was big news at the time. Many independent shops prohibit laptops during certain hours, and others have simply removed the outlets.

Posted on: 2016/1/29 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

kencares wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/29 2:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Coming soon to Smith & Changs...

Resized Image

Where's this, Coffee Shop?

Posted on: 2016/1/29 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
JCLIST to S & C ?.JCLIST to S & C ?..what is your policy, please comment . . . most people are annoyed that you're permitting "clients" to sit for hours (2-4 hours), talk loud on their hands free devices (conducting business) . . take up space . . . a normal client would bring a book, newspaper, laptop, order a pastry and coffee, sit, consume, not talk obnoxiously loud on their cell, and leave somewhere between 15 to 45 minutes. JCLIST to S & C...

Posted on: 2016/1/28 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:

Having people work or study in a coffe shop is the norm. Otherwise you wouldn't find so many outlets available for people to charge there laptops and phones. Those outlets could easily be removed if they wanted to discourage the behavior.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/28 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/28 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

kencares wrote:
I walked in there the other day, thinking of getting a bite to eat and a coffee, saw the sea of losers on laptops, and turned around and left. Very unappealing to sit in someone's claimed office space to enjoy a snack and drink.

I too have walked out of coffee shops, but because I wanted a place to sit and read the paper with my coffee but there was no place to sit among all the "officeworkers". But Starbucks et al probably don't care about my lost business since I get a black coffee instead of some $6 sugar and fat monstrosity.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
You should never set your laptop up at a cafe, allowed or not, it is always rude and ugly.

That's going too far. People have been doing things like homework, working for an hour or two and stuff like that at coffee shops since the beginning of time. The line is where either a) these people are talking loudly on their phones, b) these people are spreading out and taking up the space of 3 people with their crap, or c) they are sitting literally all day and/or doing this all the time because they're using the coffee shop as their office/living room. The last point is particularly obnoxious if they nurse one cup of coffee the entire time because they're obviously cheapskates.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
You should never set your laptop up at a cafe, allowed or not, it is always rude and ugly.

Why do you think most coffee shops offer free wifi? It's not just so you can connect with your smart phone.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 19:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 16:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:

waaaaahhh.

give me a break.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

kencares wrote:

If it's allowed, it's clearly not rude and ugly. It's like going to a smoking bar (outside of NYC) and complaining that people are smoking. Go to a non-smoking bar instead.

To support your point, who knows, maybe the store wants to appeal to people who are looking for a place to conduct business and drink coffee.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Coming soon to Smith & Changs...

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/1/28 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:

If it's allowed, it's clearly not rude and ugly. It's like going to a smoking bar (outside of NYC) and complaining that people are smoking. Go to a non-smoking bar instead.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/28 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Even if the store allows it. Rudeness is a personal responsibility.

No, if the store allows it, it's not rude. The environment is sponsored by the store. If you don't enjoy it, I don't blame you, but you don't get to dictate how the place is run.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I walked in there the other day, thinking of getting a bite to eat and a coffee, saw the sea of losers on laptops, and turned around and left. Very unappealing to sit in someone's claimed office space to enjoy a snack and drink.

Get a room!

Posted on: 2016/1/28 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Even if the store allows it. Rudeness is a personal responsibility.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 3:10
I live by the river.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/14 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Stop using it as an office ?so inconsiderate, jeez? Gayle and I .. ? it's not an office, it is a coffee shop where people go to relax, read? nobody wants to hear all your business, nobody cares, so rude !!!

Stop telling businesses how to run their business. Management obviously doesn't mind, so if you do, go somewhere else.

Management is entitled to hear what other customers think of their policies and potential customers who are not looking for an office environment are entitled to learn about what the place is like.

Feedback is fine. But the previous poster is acting like the customers are doing something wrong and that their vision of how the place should operate is correct. That's my issue with it.

If they are talking loudly on their cell phones in an otherwise quiet coffee shop, most people would think they are doing something wrong.

I am sorry, but I was just trying to get the word out that I lost weight on Weight Watchers while still eating bread!

Posted on: 2016/1/27 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Stop using it as an office ?so inconsiderate, jeez? Gayle and I .. ? it's not an office, it is a coffee shop where people go to relax, read? nobody wants to hear all your business, nobody cares, so rude !!!

Stop telling businesses how to run their business. Management obviously doesn't mind, so if you do, go somewhere else.

Management is entitled to hear what other customers think of their policies and potential customers who are not looking for an office environment are entitled to learn about what the place is like.

Feedback is fine. But the previous poster is acting like the customers are doing something wrong and that their vision of how the place should operate is correct. That's my issue with it.

If they are talking loudly on their cell phones in an otherwise quiet coffee shop, most people would think they are doing something wrong.

...unless the store allows it

Posted on: 2016/1/27 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/27 21:46
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/27 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/27 18:21
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
The ground floor commercial space in any new large residential building is part "staging" as well as an attempt at creating independent money-making businesses.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 17:51

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017