Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: White-collar heroin users on the rise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
well, i don't really consider marijuana to be a drug (which i know is factually wrong)...i'm not even sure i would put hash or club drugs in the same class as heroin, crack or meth since these seem in my mind to have a far more devastating impact on their victims.

i've never seen people zonked out on the street from drugs in europe, the way i have seen in nyc. from alcohol yes, drugs nope. i could be wrong but it seems to be that america has a drug problem in a way that other rich countries do not.

are my observations scientific proof - no, but its sorta like the rat theory. if you see 1 one, you know there are others but if see 20 at the 23rd street PATH station, you know there's a major problem.

Again, facts are facts. Just because you are unaware of the truth, it doesn't make it any less true.

But, don't take my word for it:
Summary / highlights of 2014 UN World Drug Report
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news ... d5eb5037096389fcd55bfbcab

Link to 2015 World Drug Report
https://www.unodc.org/documents/wdr2015/World_Drug_Report_2015.pdf

But, since reading and graphs seem to be so complicated here's a highlight of the breakdown for major drugs:

#1 COCAINE (% usage): Scotland
#1 ECSTASY (% usage): Australia
#1 CANNABIS (% usage): Iceland

Posted on: 2016/1/26 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
You do realize that the graph you posted supports bodhipooh and debunks what hero69 was saying, right?

While you saw I did not respond to hero with an arrogant tone, he is dead wrong. He said that "one does not see the same drug scurges in other developed countries."

The Y axis of your graph shows rate of drug use. It shows that Australia has the highest rate of drug use in the world, and we are tied with New Zealand and the UK. Which completely disproves whatever hero thought he was saying.

If you want to tie drug use to capitalism, that's an entirely separate point.

Ha. Obviously he doesn't. Graphs are beyond the grasp of most people, sadly.

Wow, even more pompous and arrogant than I initially thought.

The graph is correct. It shows that the United States leads the other plotted 21 countries in terms of the degree of inequality and is behind only 1, that being Australia. So, contrary to the comment attributable to you, the United States, and only three other countries, DOES have more abusers than all but ONE of the plotted countries.

Again though, no data to support your claim. No link to the cited UN reports (as if the UN is the ultimate source for drug abuse studies, lol.)

Posted on: 2016/1/26 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
You do realize that the graph you posted supports bodhipooh and debunks what hero69 was saying, right?

While you saw I did not respond to hero with an arrogant tone, he is dead wrong. He said that "one does not see the same drug scurges in other developed countries."

The Y axis of your graph shows rate of drug use. It shows that Australia has the highest rate of drug use in the world, and we are tied with New Zealand and the UK. Which completely disproves whatever hero thought he was saying.

Ha. Obviously he doesn't. Graphs are beyond the grasp of most people, sadly.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
bodhipooh is a total douche. Take your obnoxious, condescending comments someplace else.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
what is it that makes americans so prone to use drugs. one does not see the same drug scurges in other developed countries

Your ignorance is showing. Go read about the topic and you will learn that you are WAY OFF BASE. The use of drugs is prevalent in many affluent, Western countries. That, of course, is to be expected as you need money to be able to procure drugs. Drug use is fairly high in Western Europe, North America, and Australia. Different drug types are used in different percentages in different countries. The UN puts out a fairly comprehensive report that is rather interesting, particularly because it debunks nonsense like what you wrote.

Glad to see I have a fan!

It's been said that people who get upset when someone speaks the truth is because they are living a lie.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
well, i don't really consider marijuana to be a drug (which i know is factually wrong)...i'm not even sure i would put hash or club drugs in the same class as heroin, crack or meth since these seem in my mind to have a far more devastating impact on their victims.

i've never seen people zonked out on the street from drugs in europe, the way i have seen in nyc. from alcohol yes, drugs nope. i could be wrong but it seems to be that america has a drug problem in a way that other rich countries do not.

are my observations scientific proof - no, but its sorta like the rat theory. if you see 1 one, you know there are others but if see 20 at the 23rd street PATH station, you know there's a major problem.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/26 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
what is it that makes americans so prone to use drugs. one does not see the same drug scurges in other developed countries

Your ignorance is showing. Go read about the topic and you will learn that you are WAY OFF BASE. The use of drugs is prevalent in many affluent, Western countries. That, of course, is to be expected as you need money to be able to procure drugs. Drug use is fairly high in Western Europe, North America, and Australia. Different drug types are used in different percentages in different countries. The UN puts out a fairly comprehensive report that is rather interesting, particularly because it debunks nonsense like what you wrote.

Way off base huh? I'd say RIGHT ON THE MARK. And, I gather you weren't able to pick up on the rhetorical nature of the post.

What data do you have to support yourself? A "fairly comprehensive" report from the UN? Meaning, it's comprehensive, but only "fairly" so?

It's capitalism to the core, this is the reason why. People looking to blow off the stress of living in a highly stratified socioeconomic system. It's no secret and it isn't just about drug abuse but rather ALL societal malaise, e.g. obesity, teen pregnancy, mental illness, gun violence, et al.

Hate to break it to you, but you?re the one showing ignorance here.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/1/26 16:08

Edited by score09 on 2016/1/26 16:32:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
bodhipooh is a total douche. Take your obnoxious, condescending comments someplace else.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/26 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/26 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Many Asian countries will practically execute you for using drugs so that's probably why you don't see a lot of drug use there.

Western Europe is more liberal and I'd imagine you'd see a decent amount of drug use there too.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/26 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
There is merit to what User said. It's more of a function of when things become personal and reality based ("my daughter/son/neighbor is a heroin abuser") versus the abstract and distant ("those lazy black/puerto ricans in the ghetto doing their heroin/crack") of people you don't know or interact with. Also, studies have shown that people can empathize more with pain and suffering when the persons look like them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/31/us/ ... n-drugs-parents.html?_r=0

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=201128359

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goo ... s-many-whi_b_5721248.html

Posted on: 2016/1/25 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The key word here is "white" so now we are suppose to give a shit.

Way to spin it... The use of white in this context was NOT about race, but rather professional status. White collar denotes a professional who works in an office, instead of a factory worker, or a field worker, etc. White collar workers come in all kinds of colors, races, sizes, shapes, etc.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

I sure remember hearing about crack being a problem, yet it never became a suburban or white collar issue

Posted on: 2016/1/25 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/25 11:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
thank big pharma again for this,

#4 is cheaper than the Oxy and Vico pills they dished out in the millions to the now 'smack' junkies.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Sad story. But her story seems out of place for this article. She's 35 and has been on heroin since she was 15. How is her spiral that started 20 years ago related to this latest rise? Is she white collar. I'm not denying the problem, just criticizing how the article was written.

I was thinking the same thing... That was a sensationalist article headline. Nothing about the headline matches up with the narrative, except for one unsubstantiated claim. I am not denying that heroine use may be on the rise among white collar workers, but this article did not discuss that at all.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Incredibly sad story.

I remember my pop sat us all down in front of the television one Sunday afternoon in the 1970's to watch the reporter John Johnson from Eyewitness News talk about heroin addiction. I still remember watching the junkies with their infected track marks along their arms and legs and my dad drilled into us how bad it was. He was so angry that day.

As a mom, now, I understand. He must have seen it every day when he worked in the city. It's back with a vengeance. Heroin scares the living crap out of me. I tell my kids now - just as my dad did. Try it once - it's got you forever.

I knew a guy in college who once intimated to a group of his closest friend why he was so much older and still in school with us: when he was a freshman or sophomore, someone gave him heroine to try at a party. Sadly, he was instantly hooked and became an addict. It took him many years before he was able to get clean and back on track. His story was eye opening AND scary. Any time I hear of heroine I remember him. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. People are quick to experiment ("hey, why not, just once!") but hard drugs can mess you up.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
60 Minutes is going to talk about heroin addiction in the United States.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Sad story. But her story seems out of place for this article. She's 35 and has been on heroin since she was 15. How is her spiral that started 20 years ago related to this latest rise? Is she white collar. I'm not denying the problem, just criticizing how the article was written.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Incredibly sad story.

I remember my pop sat us all down in front of the television one Sunday afternoon in the 1970's to watch the reporter John Johnson from Eyewitness News talk about heroin addiction. I still remember watching the junkies with their infected track marks along their arms and legs and my dad drilled into us how bad it was. He was so angry that day.

As a mom, now, I understand. He must have seen it every day when he worked in the city. It's back with a vengeance. Heroin scares the living crap out of me. I tell my kids now - just as my dad did. Try it once - it's got you forever.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 23:37

White-collar heroin users on the rise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Smack surges in Hudson County
White-collar heroin users on the rise

by Joseph Passantino
Reporter staff writer
Jan 24, 2016 

Shirley, 35, of Jersey City was an only child, born into a home with a mother who was “an active addict, a violent alcoholic,” she said in a recent interview. She was molested by an aunt’s friend when she was 8 years old, and dealt with the trauma by herself for years, eventually turning to alcohol at 12 and heroin at 15.

Shirley is one of a growing number of Hudson County residents who’ve become addicted to what was once considered a street drug for junkies who nodded off on the subway.

“I can honestly say I can see why people get hooked. But you never experience that first time again,” Shirley said. “I didn’t feel any pain. I didn’t have any regret. I didn’t feel anybody cared. It just alleviated all of the pain.”

Her world was shattered at 18 when she was arrested for heroin distribution, had her 2-year-old son taken away from her, and was sent to the Edna Mahan Correctional Facility for Women in Union Township, Hunterdon County.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 22:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017