Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hyatt House at Exchange Place
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

OpenAire retractable roof provides panoramic views at newly opened Hyatt House

Leading designer and manufacturer of retractable roofs and skylights, OpenAire is celebrating the opening of the Hyatt House Jersey City Hotel.

The 258-roomed hotel offers guests panoramic views of New York City across the Hudson River, thanks to OpenAire’s 3,520-square-foot glass enclosure with retractable roof.

Built in three telescoping sections, the roof can be opened and closed at the touch of a button. The walls to the adjacent rooftop terrace can also be folded completely open to provide uninterrupted city views.

https://blooloop.com/news/openaire-ret ... -roof-hyatt-house-jersey/

Posted on: 2018/4/27 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
lol, that bar sucks. I had to go for a work function and the vibe was that every other customer was there for a work function too. The drink prices don't include tax, and then they round the price + tax up to the next dollar. I don't even know if that's legal and I don't care enough to look it up because I'm never going back there again.

Posted on: 2018/3/12 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Hyatt House Jersey City opens with designs by Stonehill Taylor

The brand-new Hyatt House Jersey City creates an exciting destination with spectacular views of Manhattan in Exchange Place’s increasingly popular waterfront downtown area.

Stonehill Taylor completed Interior Design for the hotel, housed in a 10-story bank building from the 1920s with a 3-story modern glass addition on top by Atlanta-based PFVS. The interiors feature striking historic features of the old bank building layered with comfortable contemporary accommodations, bringing in richness in texture and a sense of history.

https://hoteldesigns.net/industry-news ... igns-by-stonehill-taylor/

Posted on: 2018/3/11 11:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The lobby was renovated and restored by Fleet bank. They were actually one of the first Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy awards winners in 2001 for their work.

But the gorgeous lobby was undone when a new bank, I think it was PNC, took over. I forget the exact year, but it was a while ago. So that, and the aforementioned roof collapse, happened well after that beautiful lobby was gone.

All is to say, this didn't happen because of the Hyatt House renovation.

Posted on: 2017/12/12 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

The best view of NYC will be from this new rooftop bar in Jersey City

Sometimes you have to take a step back and take a look at the bigger picture, New York City. Whether those times are at brunch, happy hour or a night out, the ideal place is at The Terrace at RoofTop at Exchange Place in Hyatt House in Jersey City. We got an exclusive look at the new rooftop bar, and yes, it is the epitome of hashtag views. 

Let’s unwrap the name real quick: Jersey City is west of Manhattan, Exchange Place is its coastal neighborhood, the Hyatt House is JC’s just-opened hotel, The Terrace is on its 13th floor (no, it isn't scared of superstition) lounge, and one floor above that is the RoofTop, an atrium bar that will open the same time the tulips do this spring. Anyway, it’s like drinking in a postcard. As you gaze out on one of the best skylines in the world (apologies, NYC, but Hong Kong and Chicago have us beat) you get the full panorama of Gotham. Surely, there are wonderful rooftop bars dotted along Manhattan and the outer boroughs, but because The Terrace and RoofTop are situated on the Jersey City waterfront, you get a clear view of the Empire State Building, One World Trade Center and the Statue of Liberty from one vantage point—I tried to get them all in one Snapchat but the vista was too vast to scan in a scant 10 seconds.

RECOMMENDED: See the essential guide to New Jersey

One of my dining and drinking companions who is a Manhattanite was rendered gobsmacked by the view. Though I’ve lived in Jersey City for about 15 years and have spent most weekends during that duration having coffee on the same block as The Terrace, I too was rapt when seeing a scene that has been a backdrop of my life from a higher vantage point. Back over the Hudson, a millionaire investment banker was swirling his Dalmore 64 Trinitas scotch and looking out from his Tribeca high-rise, but we, looking back at him, were the ones with a billion-dollar view.

Posted on: 2017/12/12 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I remember when it occurred. I guess I didn't realize, at the time, that it was the big ceiling.

No matter the cause, still sad.

Posted on: 2017/12/3 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/12/3 4:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/8 6:31
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Robin is correct. I?m pretty sure hurricane Sandy Did a number on the place and that?s why they had to gut everything.

Posted on: 2017/12/3 4:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
correct. the ceiling in Cosi collapsed during lunch when it was full of people. Ironically, among those people was a building inspector!

Posted on: 2017/12/1 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/10 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Robin is correct about the structursl issues with the building.

Posted on: 2017/12/1 12:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
My understanding is that the beautiful ceiling you describe collapsed, which caused the emergency closure of the bank, Cosi and the Dunkin' Donuts.

The building was declared unsafe and closed while major renovation and construction work was undertaken to turn it into the hotel.

Robin.

Additionally, the Hyatt House brand is not known for being upscale. They are functional hotels along the lines of Staybridge Suites, Homewood Suites, and Embassy Suites. I wouldn't expect them to even try and target weddings or other such events. Their bread and butter and corporate guests, and families in extended stays. An upscale, maintenance-intensive lobby is the last thing they want.

Posted on: 2017/12/1 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
My understanding is that the beautiful ceiling you describe collapsed, which caused the emergency closure of the bank, Cosi and the Dunkin' Donuts.

The building was declared unsafe and closed while major renovation and construction work was undertaken to turn it into the hotel.

Robin.

Posted on: 2017/12/1 7:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
So I walked into the new Hyatt House, at 1 Exchange Place, today hoping that my suspicions wouldn't be proven true. Unfortunately, they were.

Let me explain.

I moved to Jersey City in the summer of 2000. At that time, I was living on Essex St, in Paulus Hook. In 2011, we bought a place in Harsimous Cove. But this was our second home buying experience, after having purchased our first place at a second location in Paulus Hook.

I was very active in the Paulus Hook neighborhood. I actually served the HPHA Board of Directors for a couple of years. I was most active in the areas of development and construction. I chose thes areas because I have always had a love of architecture, especially historical architecture.

During the time I lived in Paulus Hook, there was always a bank on the ground floor of 1 Exchange Place. I actually don't recall what bank it was, because it wasn't our bank. None the less, I would make it a point to go into that bank, on occasion, simply because of the beauty of the lobby.

What impressed me the most about it was both the height of the space, and the beautifully ornate plaster ceiling. Having had worked in hotels for many years, I always thought that the space would make a wonderful banquet hall (much like Ciprianni on 42nd St. in Manhattan), or an elaborate hotel lobby which was the likes of something like The Palmer House in Chicago. (Look it up, its stunning.)

So when it was announced that a hotel was coming to the location, I was psyched. I thought, "I can't wait to see how they utilize this beautiful, and historic, space. I imagined it becoming a go to destination for weddings, as who who wouldn't want to get married in such a grand location?

Then, as they were announcing the start of construction, I noticed in pictures, in places like The Jersey Journal, that they seemed to have really gutted the place. But you couldn't really tell where in the building the pictures were taken. So I held out hope that they certainly wouldn't have simply ripped all that history and craftsmanship out...would they?

From what I could see today, although I couldn't venture all that far in, they had removed it. It made me sad.

I'm not one of these people that think I have the right to dictate what people do with their property (within the bounds of the law). I know they were perfectly within their right to alter the interior as they saw fit. I just personally find it sad to see a piece of Jersey City's history gone forever.

They don't make these things anymore. They're expensive. They require maintenance. But they don't make them anymore. And now something that was rare, and irreplaceable, is gone.

I still think it would have been an asset to the hotel. But what do I know? I wasn't making the decisions...obviously.

Posted on: 2017/12/1 5:11

Hyatt House at Exchange Place
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/24 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know when this hotel will be opening?

Posted on: 2016/1/8 20:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017