Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: As the end of the year approaches, let's recap JC in 2015
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I really can't grasp this. I've drawn a diagram showing how the plaza might affect traffic. How does traffic backup at the plaza impact the fire trucks heading up the hill?

Resized Image

Every route you drew probably has easier "throughput" than trying to make the right from Newark onto Grove. Yvonne is working a "butterfly effect" theory of traffic.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Never mind I think I've figured it out

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/1/10 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I really can't grasp this. I've drawn a diagram showing how the plaza might affect traffic. How does traffic backup at the plaza impact the fire trucks heading up the hill?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/1/10 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It all depends on where you live. I saw the fire trucks pull out of the station and head west on Newark Avenue. And I noticed the 5 to 10 mph the truck was doing.

So the fire truck ran into traffic going the opposite direction and that's somehow caused by the pedestrian plaza? Get a grip Yvonne.

Yes, it will affect traffic because cars move east and west pattern, turning cars affect both lanes. The fire truck heading west must cross the cars heading east. There are bunch of small triangle streets along Newark Avenue that also feed into Newark Avenue. These streets were designed for horse and wagon. We see this all the time on major roads, construction slows down cars miles away. This is a slow down caused by closing of Newark Avenue.

Posted on: 2016/1/9 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It all depends on where you live. I saw the fire trucks pull out of the station and head west on Newark Avenue. And I noticed the 5 to 10 mph the truck was doing.

So the fire truck ran into traffic going the opposite direction and that's somehow caused by the pedestrian plaza? Get a grip Yvonne.

Posted on: 2016/1/7 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I saw the fire trucks pull out of the station and head west on Newark Avenue. And I noticed the 5 to 10 mph the truck was doing.

Dear Yvonne, no one is doubting what you saw, what we can't figure out is how, assuming you're talking about the station at Merseles, you attribute excessive westbound traffic there to the closure of Newark 1/2 mile away in the other direction. Why don't you tell us your theory instead of simply assuming other people see the connections you do? How did people end up there who would not have if Newark were fully open?

I'll tell you MY theory based on MY experience: Construction on 139 backing up Palisade & Baldwin has created a perpetual clusterfuck going up that hill. How does that work for you?

Posted on: 2016/1/7 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
That's very Downtown-centric.

Other bars and eateries that opened included Carvao, O'Leary's Publik House and McGinley Sq Pub. The latter somewhat falls in the "no TVs" category although they do pull down a projector for NFL games on Sunday and possibly Monday night (though, I'm not sure about Mondays).
very DT centric but I guess that's where most restaurants and bars of note are opening.

Fox & Crow opened in the Heights. And The Lamp Post and Puccini's both closed in 2015.

Also I drive down Newark Ave a lot and haven't notice any traffic issues on Newark Ave or the surrounding blocks. Sorry Yvonne, you're living in a fantasy world.

It all depends on where you live. I saw the fire trucks pull out of the station and head west on Newark Avenue. And I noticed the 5 to 10 mph the truck was doing. We live in a world that unless it is on youtube, you don't believe something. This sounds similar to statements that people did not believe Muslims were celebrating on 9/11 because they did not see it (no it was not thousands) until a police officer who retired mentioned the incidents. He felt obligated to set the record straight.

Posted on: 2016/1/6 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Other bars and eateries that opened included Carvao, O'Leary's Publik House and McGinley Sq Pub. The latter somewhat falls in the "no TVs" category although they do pull down a projector for NFL games on Sunday and possibly Monday night (though, I'm not sure about Mondays).
very DT centric but I guess that's where most restaurants and bars of note are opening.

Fox & Crow opened in the Heights. And The Lamp Post and Puccini's both closed in 2015.

Also I drive down Newark Ave a lot and haven't notice any traffic issues on Newark Ave or the surrounding blocks. Sorry Yvonne, you're living in a fantasy world.

Posted on: 2016/1/6 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Perhaps you just go to the Mall and do not go pass Jersey Avenue. Newark Avenue has a series of triangles streets that flow into Newark Avenue, those streets make turns to avoid Jersey Avenue and Newark because the traffic cannot go straight. It is those turns that add to the traffic mess or slows down the traffic. It backs up all the traffic in an east/west pattern. Unfortunately, the fire department is located there. That fire truck yesterday was traveling around 5 to 10 miles an hour and it was heading to an emergency. I don't buy the argument that lives are not at stake.

Your post is almost unintelligible. But, I'll play anyway: what do angled intersections have to do with the pedestrian plaza? Newark Ave has had angled intersections with regular streets since a long time ago. Are you blaming those on the recent pedestrian plaza?

I said this last year: the only drivers heading west on Newark from Grove before the closure would be looking for parking on that block. If you were heading west of there you'd have turned W on one of the previous westbound streets like 4th, 2nd or Bay.

It's too bad the JCList archives are gone, it would be so fun to link the long thread of hysterical traffic apocalypse predictions about the coming of Home Depot. People with agendas grasp at straws to justify negativity.

Posted on: 2016/1/6 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Perhaps you just go to the Mall and do not go pass Jersey Avenue. Newark Avenue has a series of triangles streets that flow into Newark Avenue, those streets make turns to avoid Jersey Avenue and Newark because the traffic cannot go straight. It is those turns that add to the traffic mess or slows down the traffic. It backs up all the traffic in an east/west pattern. Unfortunately, the fire department is located there. That fire truck yesterday was traveling around 5 to 10 miles an hour and it was heading to an emergency. I don't buy the argument that lives are not at stake.

Your post is almost unintelligible. But, I'll play anyway: what do angled intersections have to do with the pedestrian plaza? Newark Ave has had angled intersections with regular streets since a long time ago. Are you blaming those on the recent pedestrian plaza?

Posted on: 2016/1/6 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/6 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Pizza and burger joints continue to reign supreme.

Food trucks vs. "brick and mortars" wars followed by a ban from the Grove Street Plaza.

Murder and homicides rates have inched up.

Deaths from delayed ambulances due to the Newark St pedestrian plaza: ZERO (sorry, Yvonne)

Property Tax Reval: still not here

PATH: still sucks, and everyone STILL hates the PA

Traffic jams perpetually snarling DTJC because of the pedestrian plaza: didn't happen.

DTJC real estate crash: nope, not yet

New classy bars with ZERO TVs: one (The Archer)

Bike sharing systems wars: one

New Whole Foods locations: zero

New eateries and bars: Dullboy, Prato, Cheesecake Factory, Chik Fil A, South House, The Archer, Transmission, The Kitchen, JC Fish Stand, Carrino Provisions / Osteria / Bell & Gray, Burger Eatery, Departed Soles, Bucket & Bay, Talde, Pasta Dal Cuore, Koro Koro, Ahris Kitchen, Raval, Just Beclaws, Porta.

Still waiting for: Monty's, White Eagle Hall, Hard Grove relocation.

New TJ locations: zero

Closed / OOB: Carrino Provisions / Osteria / Bell & Gray, Lee Sim's, Thirty Acres, Powerhouse Lounge / 6th Boro Lounge, Sushi Tango, Box, Nu Bar, Azucar, The Kitchen.

Council members indicted or arrested: one

I just saw the firetrucks moved like molasses on Newark Avenue heading west, no one knows because no data is collected on safety and the closing of the street. The traffic went from bad to worse after the closing. Residents in Ward C will have less fire service when the Palisade Avenue Bridge is close for renovations.

Last year you predicted people would die because ambulances would get stuck on their way to JCMC. Now, you are predicting worse fire response times (and, potentially, more dead people) because of the plaza closing? You are really, really off your rocker.

Posted on: 2016/1/6 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Food trucks vs. "brick and mortars" wars followed by a ban from the Grove Street Plaza.

Deaths from delayed ambulances due to the Newark St pedestrian plaza: ZERO (sorry, Yvonne)

Traffic jams perpetually snarling DTJC because of the pedestrian plaza: didn't happen.

New eateries and bars: Dullboy, Prato, Cheesecake Factory, Chik Fil A, South House, The Archer, Transmission, The Kitchen, JC Fish Stand, Carrino Provisions / Osteria / Bell & Gray, Burger Eatery, Departed Soles, Bucket & Bay, Talde, Pasta Dal Cuore, Koro Koro, Ahris Kitchen, Raval, Just Beclaws, Porta.

Closed / OOB: Carrino Provisions / Osteria / Bell & Gray, Lee Sim's, Thirty Acres, Powerhouse Lounge / 6th Boro Lounge, Sushi Tango, Box, Nu Bar, Azucar, The Kitchen.

I just saw the firetrucks moved like molasses on Newark Avenue heading west, no one knows because no data is collected on safety and the closing of the street. The traffic went from bad to worse after the closing. Residents in Ward C will have less fire service when the Palisade Avenue Bridge is close for renovations.

Wow, I was hoping this broken record would find a new tune in 2016 but no. Yvonne, WTF does traffic west of the pedestrian plaza have to do with traffic moving away from said plaza?

Posted on: 2016/1/5 21:02
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

And what data do you have on traffic increasing?

Posted on: 2016/1/5 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/5 19:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 22:25
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I am still amazed that this Chico councilman shows up at City Hall. Any update on his DWI charges?

Posted on: 2016/1/5 2:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the list of eateries bodhi. It reminds me that I've yet to check out a little less than half of the new ones, although some have already come and gone. Perhaps I'll make it to the 4th incarnation of carrino/osteria/bell, maybe when those construction cousins are out of the picture.

Posted on: 2016/1/4 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

You are definitely correct, and it wasn't meant to be taken as exhaustive or authoritative. It was part jest, part documentary. Lots of stuff happened in JC this year, mostly positive, so I wanted to summarize some of it and let others chime in.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

tamard wrote:

The Kitchen didn't "Close" according their Facebook page updated yesterday. The Executive Chef/staff left and they are now regrouping & will open again in early 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/kitchenatgrovestation/?fref=ts

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Lee Sim's is still alive & kicking

I think bodipooh was thinking of Fischer Confections on MLK in Greenville which did close in 2015.

Oops! Yes, Fischer Confections. I was typing off the top of my head, so I also missed a few places like O'Leary's (which I have yet to visit) and Carvao.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

tamard wrote:

The Kitchen didn't "Close" according their Facebook page updated yesterday. The Executive Chef/staff left and they are now regrouping & will open again in early 2016.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I think bodipooh was thinking of Fischer Confections on MLK in Greenville which did close in 2015.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 22:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
My beloved Lamp Post closed in January of 2015. It still hurts!

Posted on: 2015/12/29 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tamard wrote:

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/29 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
hero69 wrote:
is carvao worth the journey from dtjc? just wondering?

I've been quite a few times, and it's worth a try. Just so you know what to expect, it's South American BBQ. Very tasty, but not everyone's favorite style of pork. Still, it's worth the short trip up to Bergen.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Short answer: no.

I've not been a second time and their opening day was rough. I've heard some really good things from some people which make me want to revisit it, but then I've heard some poor things from others that tell me it isn't worth it.

Once I go again, and I will since they deserve a second shot, I'll provide my review. Though, I haven't heard a negative thing about their burger...

Posted on: 2015/12/29 21:26
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/29 20:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/29 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
NuBar closed, the Grind Shop coffee house opened, Monegro's bodega became the Lafayette Corner Store, the Ruins antique store opened, all in BeLa.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/29 20:02
Dos A Cero

As the end of the year approaches, let's recap JC in 2015
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/29 19:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017