Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 24th Homicide Today in JC - 905 Bergen Ave at 5:50pm
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I don't agree with your statement, Dolomiti. The bad people know they own the streets when they openly sell drugs on the corners. There is no police presence. There is police presence in NYC, including the outer boroughs. I worked in East Harlem as saw police all over the place.

Posted on: 2015/12/23 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Just to be clear about something....

No one truly understands why crime rates rise and fall. No one.

Community policing improves citizen satisfaction with the police, but there is no solid evidence that it reduces crime.

To wit: In JC, the number of homicides averaged 24 per year since 2001. Cunningham (2001-2004) averaged 23 per year. In 2005, homicides increased to 38; then it fell back to 22 in 2006.

Similarly, it was 18 in 2011, then 11 in 2012, then 23 in 2013. I don't recall any major changes in city or police policies that explains these fluctuations. Anyone got a theory?

Sure, the city can waste money making itself look busy. But it's not clear that, other than operate the police department as efficiently and cleanly as possible, the city can actually do anything to reduce crime rates.

Posted on: 2015/12/23 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city council wrote the laws about cops being at construction sites. I was in the caucus room when this happened. Cops want the extra money. This was done to favor the police union but this is not in the public interest. We have all been in NYC where flag men watch traffic. The police job is to protect and serve or as I said at a recent council meeting, "...people before buildings."

"... but also parking before people"

That is incorrect, "...parking for people."

Posted on: 2015/12/23 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city council wrote the laws about cops being at construction sites. I was in the caucus room when this happened. Cops want the extra money. This was done to favor the police union but this is not in the public interest. We have all been in NYC where flag men watch traffic. The police job is to protect and serve or as I said at a recent council meeting, "...people before buildings."

"... but also parking before people"

Posted on: 2015/12/23 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/23 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The main problem is - cops do not walk a beat as they did in the past. The last mayor to assign cops to walk a beat was Cunningham. The idea that we need SID to hire cops is ridiculous. We pay enough money in taxes to support public safety. I am tired of seeing cops watching construction sites even if it is off duty work. I am sure these cops must be tired after working their off duty jobs. The public deserves better.

This is an oversimplification and a lack of understanding regarding strains on the police decisions.

Community Policing (aka cops walking a beat) reduces response time. I already pointed out how we have less police officers on the street right now than we did when Fulop took office. Now, you want to take those people out of cars and have them walk around. This reduces the response time of police.

Once more police are on-boarded, there will be more community policing. However, we don?t have enough police at the moment.

Posted on: 2015/12/23 15:03
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
The amount of cops on construction duty is a fcking joke.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure by law cops need to be there. I also think it's the contractor paying for the cops overtime. Theyre not there as part of their regular duty.

Posted on: 2015/12/23 12:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
100% correct

Glenn was an ex Cop and having cops walk the beat prevents crime - simple and effective police work. The amount of cops on construction duty is a fcking joke.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The main problem is - cops do not walk a beat as they did in the past. The last mayor to assign cops to walk a beat was Cunningham. The idea that we need SID to hire cops is ridiculous. We pay enough money in taxes to support public safety. I am tired of seeing cops watching construction sites even if it is off duty work. I am sure these cops must be tired after working their off duty jobs. The public deserves better.
Greenville seemed like it was heading in the right direction when he was mayor. Back when he was alive all the cameras up and down Jackson, Ocean and Bergen were actually being used the right way.

It made a huge difference when the mayor lives in Greenville. Cunningham new first hand what GV problems were/is. The last few mayor don't have a clue or don't give a shit.

Posted on: 2015/12/23 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
100% correct

Glenn was an ex Cop and having cops walk the beat prevents crime - simple and effective police work. The amount of cops on construction duty is a fcking joke.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Greenville seemed like it was heading in the right direction when he was mayor. Back when he was alive all the cameras up and down Jackson, Ocean and Bergen were actually being used the right way. They were staffed better and crimes in progress were being called in by those watching them as they were happening. Now a days they are more or less used after a crime to see if the suspect passed one after the crime has been committed since no one is paying attention while it's going down.

I am actually not a fan of the cameras but have to admit the way they were being used was way more effective then when Healy took over and layed off the staff watching them that was doing a good job.

Posted on: 2015/12/23 7:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
100% correct

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/22 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
A friend set up a GoFundMe page to help Lee's wife and daughter with funeral and legal assistance.

https://www.gofundme.com/topplus

Posted on: 2015/12/22 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/22 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY ? Jersey City's 2015 homicide count has inched up to 25 with today's news that prosecutors have ruled the September death of a 59-year-old Jersey City man a homicide.

Rafael Martinez died on Sept. 17 at a New York hospital, two months after he was found "on the ground" at Sixth and Coles streets with a head injury, Gene Rubino, acting chief of detectives at the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office, said today.

More

Posted on: 2015/12/22 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I won?t claim to know all of the ins-and-outs of every detail and every policy in this city. However, there are a few things going on that are playing into this.

Every year around this time, crime spikes. People are out shopping and when they come home they are carrying items of value. The difference is the level of violent crime that has risen.

I agree that City Hall has been quiet with speak, they?ve increased their expenses. They are allocating more resources and police to the areas that need it most. They have also approved numerous overtime hours each and every day.

The main problem is that there is that we?re in a retirement cycle. Many officers that are of retirement age are choosing to take that option. This is largely due to the attacks on the benefits of social workers and the fear that what they had will no longer be available. Thus the number of retirees is higher and the numbers replacing them cannot keep up.

The state sets the standards for police academies. There is no such thing as a municipal academy. The facilities that exist now are running at maximum capacity. Despite the onboarding of as many officers as possible after each graduating class, the total officer roll is lower now than when Fulop took office as a direct result of those retiring.

Talking with those in the know that have no political dog in the fight, Fulop seems to be giving the force what it is asking for. The largest problem is that the police academies cannot produce enough officers at a time.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 15:06
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... 14.html#incart_river_home The number of homicides in Jersey City has climbed each year since Mayor Steve Fulop took office in July 2013. There were 20 that year, 23 in 2014 and, with Saturday's killing of store owner Byungeun Lee, 24 so far this year.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 12:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
why is city hall still silent?

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Eyewitness News just ran the story. They didn't identify the victim other than he was the clothing store owner - a hardworking father of a daughter and husband. So very, very sad.

One woman they interviewed did not have nice things to say about the area. Seemed like she was a neighbor or fellow business owner/worker nearby.

The mayor thinks if he is silent about this, the problem will just go away on its own. He's afraid anything he says will just draw attention to him and be used against him in his run for governor. But he doesn't understand the murders get the most views on NJ.Com and people all over the state read about the murders in the cities and it's only going to hurt him further showing how little he cares to address this.

Hopefully it all slows down on its own and we have a low number of murders next year. However it can't be ignored murder is on an upward trend and many haven't even been solved yet. 2004 had a simular number of murders and was also on an upward trend late into the year. The following year in 2005 the killings continued giving us the highest death toll since the 80's. If more isn't done now this warm winter we are having can lead to bad results for this city in 2016.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Caitlin Mota | The Jersey Journal
on December 21, 2015 at 7:23 AM, updated December 21, 2015 at 7:24 AM

A Journal Square store owner was fatally shot Saturday afternoon inside his own business, officials said.

Byungeun Lee, 61, was shot inside Top Plus, a clothing store he owned on Bergen Avenue, at about 4 p.m., according to Hudson County Prosecutor Esther Suarez.

The slaying happened just two blocks from the busy Journal Square transportation hub, shocking area merchants. The neighborhood's councilman, meanwhile, repeated his call for a greater police presence here and slammed the city's response to the violence.

More (Sadness)...

Posted on: 2015/12/21 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
why is city hall still silent?

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Eyewitness News just ran the story. They didn't identify the victim other than he was the clothing store owner - a hardworking father of a daughter and husband. So very, very sad.

One woman they interviewed did not have nice things to say about the area. Seemed like she was a neighbor or fellow business owner/worker nearby.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/20 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

the city is not even acknowledging that this is happening. at least there should be a comment (or better yet an attempt at a plan to address.) its like they are awol.

its happening west of the turnpike, not just south of communipaw. and where ever there is gun play, there can be collateral damage, someone's mother, father, sister or brother, a loved one. a press release does not erase victims.

the police eye in the sky was in Journal Square just last night.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The people of Jersey City have been crying out for an end to gun violence & the citys response is to do nothing. Here now in the heart of the city on a Saturday afternoon with hundreds walking about & shopping a horrific act with some poor soul shot dead. It must stop.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Store owner is fatally shot in Jersey City

By Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal

on December 19, 2015 at 7:48 PM, updated December 19, 2015 at 9:38 PM

A store owner was fatally shot this afternoon in the Bergen Square neighborhood of Jersey City, the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office confirmed tonight.

The homicide the city's 24th homicide of the year in Jersey City, surpassing last year's total. Since Oct. 16, there have been nine shooting deaths in Jersey City.

It was the 29th homicide in Hudson County in 2015.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... 2box_nj-homepage-featured

Posted on: 2015/12/20 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
I agree Gov Steve and the city need to do more but you can't have the police watch over every individual 24/7. Where's the black community leaders crying about this - doesn't matter since a white person or a cop didn't shoot the victim? The community needs to look at itself as well as ask the city to do more.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The people of Jersey City have been crying out for an end to gun violence & the citys response is to do nothing. Here now in the heart of the city on a Saturday afternoon with hundreds walking about & shopping a horrific act with some poor soul shot dead. It must stop.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Near Journal Square? Just before the Christmas Concert at Loew's Theater??

Posted on: 2015/12/20 1:19

24th Homicide Today in JC - 905 Bergen Ave at 5:50pm
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So tragic to see another person murdered in our city. Condolences to his family and friends.

By Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on December 19, 2015 at 7:48 PM, updated December 19, 2015 at 8:01 PM

A person was fatally shot tonight in the Journal Square neighborhood of Jersey City, according to police radio transmissions.

The fatal shooting occurred at roughly 5:50 p.m. in the area of 905 Bergen Ave. (that's a few doors down from the post office on Bergen - around the corner from HCCC).

More - JJ

More from RLS Media - Speculate 'Robbery Gone Wrong'

Posted on: 2015/12/20 1:08

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact