Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: city wants to cancel new property assessment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Yes, I most definitely confused the two issues.

Not only did you confuse the issue, you are also confused about the timelines of the reval matter. The reval was only suspended/cancelled two years ago. By that time, concerns abut the crash and real estate bubble mere mostly a memory for some/most. Heck, some people believe we are beginning to see the formation of another bubble.

The reval is most likely going to help more owners than not. A lot of people are afraid of it because they don't understand it and they fear the unknown, so there was a knee jerk reaction against it. Out of ignorance, people seem to assume that "revaluation" means "real estate taxes going up" but that is not correct.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I most definitely confused the two issues.

Posted on: 2015/12/26 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I find it fascinating that constituents would complain about the deferment of the assessment. At the time the assessment started the vast majority of people with who I spoke were very anxious about it. Let's not forget we were on the heal of the crash, money was tight, there were a lot of constituents underwater, defaults and foreclosures were high. The deferment of the the assessment offered what I thought was necessary relief at an integral time. Had real estate taxes gone up it would have added a burden to constituents at a pretty bad time. I don't know if that was the reason for Fulop's motive, but the timing would have certainly have suggested so.

Are you talking about the Reval rather than the thread issue? It has nothing to do with the reval, it's properties that got reassessed due to improvements.

Posted on: 2015/12/26 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I find it fascinating that constituents would complain about the deferment of the assessment. At the time the assessment started the vast majority of people with who I spoke were very anxious about it. Let's not forget we were on the heal of the crash, money was tight, there were a lot of constituents underwater, defaults and foreclosures were high. The deferment of the the assessment offered what I thought was necessary relief at an integral time. Had real estate taxes gone up it would have added a burden to constituents at a pretty bad time. I don't know if that was the reason for Fulop's motive, but the timing would have certainly have suggested so.

Posted on: 2015/12/26 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The most boggling part is that they expected this to just slide by unnoticed. Property taxes sure are shaping up to be Fulop's Achilles heel if/when he runs. He's giving himself huge exposures here between this and the reval.

Posted on: 2015/12/25 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Personally, I find it stunning that the city would go out of its way to try and collect LESS money. In what universe does it make ANY sense for a city to go to court to try and toss out tax assessments in its favor!?

In our universe. You know, the one where most politicians place their own self interest ahead the good of the city.

Posted on: 2015/12/24 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Personally, I find it stunning that the city would go out of its way to try and collect LESS money. In what universe does it make ANY sense for a city to go to court to try and toss out tax assessments in its favor!?

Posted on: 2015/12/24 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
anywhere you dig it is always the same - it takes very little money to buy off politicians. ROIs are massive.

Finance Lobbyists pay peanuts to maintain the huge windfall they get from the carried interest loophole.

The stakes are even lower in JC and Dixon/other biz types know it...

Posted on: 2015/12/24 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
It is amazing that $7,700 can buy this favor, including paying for the lawyer's fee, floating bonds to repay owners, and finding $1.4 million for next year's budget.

Posted on: 2015/12/24 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
That would've been quite a ROI for Dixon if the scheme hadn't been stopped.

Posted on: 2015/12/23 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop critic wants state audit of Jersey City tax office

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
December 23, 2015 at 6:04 PM

JERSEY CITY — A rival of Mayor Steve Fulop is asking state officials to audit Jersey City's tax program, saying the city's recent move to halt new assessments of renovated homes was outside of Fulop's legal authority.

Bill Matsikoudis — a Fulop critic when he was top city attorney under ex-Mayor Jerramiah Healy — alleges in a letter sent today to state tax officials that "political concerns" appear to have been behind the city's request to stop the added assessments, which would have given over 450 homeowners a tax break. Hudson County's taxation board denied the city's request on Monday.

"Whether it is ineptitude or something worse, the Fulop administration has demonstrated that it is not up to the task of following existing taxation statues and a full audit is warranted," Matsikoudis wrote.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... t_of_jersey_city_tax.html

Posted on: 2015/12/23 23:34

Re: Hudson County tax board dismisses Jersey City's tax appeal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Last week the tax collector advertised in the paper homeowners who were behind in taxes and water. Their liens will be sold. Around 2,500 names are on the list, I am glad the city lost because no one cares about the people on that list.

Awesome! time to go house hunting

Posted on: 2015/12/21 22:00

Re: Hudson County tax board dismisses Jersey City's tax appeal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Last week the tax collector advertised in the paper homeowners who were behind in taxes and water. Their liens will be sold. Around 2,500 names are on the list, I am glad the city lost because no one cares about the people on that list.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 21:50

Hudson County tax board dismisses Jersey City's tax appeal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

The Hudson County Board of Taxation today dismissed Jersey City's unusual appeal of hundreds of new property assessments, with the board saying the city "has no standing" in the matter.

The city had been attempting to halt more than 450 properties from getting added assessments that would hike the property owners' tax bills. Matthew O'Donnell, a lawyer hired by the city to handle tax appeals, argued today that the new assessments were added as the result of a "flawed" process.

More

Posted on: 2015/12/21 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If the city appeals assessments of residents who are doing work, it is obvious the assessment will not be raised on Fulop's home next year.

Yvonne. You've deflected the issue for decades - ever since you received a huge tax hike 27 years ago during the last JC reval - and were forced to sell your VVP home. You have no credibility. Zero.

But - the reval needs to happen. No more excuses Mayor Fulop. Just get it done.

This has nothing to do with me, as it is right now I am paying more taxes per foot than I did downtown, you are the one, dtjcview, changing the subject. My taxes are on line, do yourself a favor and check them. The information on the tax appeals came from the caucus meeting when Councilman Boggiano asked Corporation Council on why this is happening. I have been attending meeting for a long time and never saw the city a hire firm for residents in order to lower their taxes. Now residents will have to bond to do refunds and later find money to replace $1.4 million in next year's budget.

Posted on: 2015/12/18 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If the city appeals assessments of residents who are doing work, it is obvious the assessment will not be raised on Fulop's home next year.

Yvonne. You've deflected the issue for decades - ever since you received a huge tax hike 27 years ago during the last JC reval - and were forced to sell your VVP home. You have no credibility. Zero.

You got the narrative wrong. She got a big tax hike, but raised bloody hell and repeatedly appealed it till she got it down to where when she sold 2 years ago, taxes were 1% of the price.

Posted on: 2015/12/18 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/18 4:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/18 3:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
The biggest beneficiary seems to be Dixon Leasing...

Now why is the city doing this now and not all the previous years?

Posted on: 2015/12/18 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The city hired the firm O'Donnell McCord to do these appeals. Normally, taxpayers do their own appeals or hire their own lawyers. According to the answer given at the caucus meeting, some of these are properties are doing renovations. Regardless, it is the city's job to defend appeals, not hire lawyers for residents. The was hand delivered to Donald J. Kenny, County Tax Administrator.

Posted on: 2015/12/18 3:09

city wants to cancel new property assessment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
any thoughts on why the city would want to do this rather than just homeowners appeal the assessments if too high?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _homeowners.html#comments

$1.4M on the line in Jersey City tax appeal case

Hundreds of Jersey City homeowners have received a Christmas bonus from the city, which told them it wants to cancel new property assessments that resulted in higher property tax bills.

The move has angered some city tax and budget workers, who say if the new assessments are canceled, the city would be robbed of $50 million in increased real-estate value, according to officials who asked not to be identified criticizing the administration.

Read more.

Posted on: 2015/12/18 2:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017