Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: BURGER EATERY on 1st & Erie
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
I had the Southern chicken, it was great.

Posted on: 2017/11/15 1:21
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You mean the menu is different now?

Posted on: 2017/11/15 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Anybody else notice more than a name change with this place? We tried a couple of times, but Vintage Burgers just don't taste as good, and the overall atmosphere is kind of depressing.

I hope they pull it together.

I agree. I never went back in after they closed up. Everything looked grim. It was one of my go-to stops. Thanks for your update.

Posted on: 2017/11/14 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody else notice more than a name change with this place? We tried a couple of times, but Vintage Burgers just don't taste as good, and the overall atmosphere is kind of depressing.

I hope they pull it together.

Posted on: 2017/11/14 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
They opened the party wall between the 2 spaces, the extension looks nice. It seems like a matter of days/weeks before they reopen for business. Happy Labor Day everyone.

Posted on: 2017/9/4 15:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 1:37
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I think they are just expanding to space next door. I hope. Any further confirmation?

Posted on: 2017/9/4 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Sign now reads "closed for renovations"

I'm sure it will be open in, uh... Wait, this is Jersey City. 6 months, then? ;)

Posted on: 2017/9/1 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Wasn't Madame Claude cash only for eons? Didn't seem to hurt them.

Posted on: 2017/9/1 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the update. I haven't been back since. Cash only in 2017 - hmmm. Such a shame - I really liked that place.

Posted on: 2017/8/31 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
it was open earlier. is closed now (6pm on a Thursday.)

still cash-only.

bizarre.

Posted on: 2017/8/31 22:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/1 1:16
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
walked by today at 7, open, walked back by at 745, closed. bizarre

Posted on: 2017/8/24 0:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/3 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
Walked by and saw a new logo and a note saying they're opening at noon today.

Hope it's as tasty as the previous iteration.

Posted on: 2017/8/23 18:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/1 21:17
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Why were they renovating then suddenly gone. Well that place was always empty. Burger is getting a lot of overflow from Torico's now. People are sitting outside the closed store with their ice cream. That is the most people I have seen at the place...when it's closed.

It is like the summer curse of burger shops closing. Now we tried Zinburger at newport mall instead. It was good but $49 before tip for 2 burgers, 2 fries and a lemonade. And the waitress was all over my husband trying to pick him up. For which I am so furious at both of them. I think I need to give up on burgers and also get divorced. Then I do not need to care where to get the burger. I will just go to Gringo's for tacos and sangria and start over.

Posted on: 2017/8/21 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's closed today.

Posted on: 2017/8/17 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Hmm. Interesting. Walked past it late Tuesday night with some neighbors and one of the employees (a male) was at the door arguing with someone (a female) and all we could make out was something along the lines of "why are you doing this?" The entire reaction seems fraught with tension but we just moved along and didn't stick around to see what was going on. If indeed they are closed, it is a shame. But, as someone else mentioned, they never seem to have hit a stride as far as making the place more efficient. A shame, because the burgers were good, and the expansion seemed to be going well and almost complete.

Posted on: 2017/8/17 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
As far as I knew they were expanding into the place next door and the place was closed while they knocked the hole in the wall.
I don't know anything about the "new management". I see the owner there every day. She was definitely there both today and yesterday.

Their burgers are still real good, but holy hell are they slow as molasses still. It's not the ingredients, their cooks just have no idea how to multitask. Put that burger on the grill, THEN worry about the state of the lettuce on the bun. Come on, man.

Posted on: 2017/8/17 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Burger Eatery is no more! I visited today - tables out front are gone, sign is down, restaurant was open with an "under new management" sign scribbled in marker on a piece of paper at the register. All "Burger Eatery" mentions are gone or covered up with paper. They were only taking cash orders, which I thought was odd. Danielle, the owner is gone, but the cashier knew nothing.

Anyone know what's up? I loved that place.

Posted on: 2017/8/17 3:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Yep. They keep getting better and faster.

They keep the corner looking clean too. Windows are always washed, sidewalk is always swept.

Good food, good neighbors.

Agreed - owners are really nice and always available for a nice chat. It's turned in to a nice gathering place and I enjoy stopping by for a bite.

Posted on: 2016/6/1 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Yep. They keep getting better and faster.

They keep the corner looking clean too. Windows are always washed, sidewalk is always swept.

Good food, good neighbors.

Posted on: 2016/6/1 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
That said, I finally tried the burger on Friday. It was tasty. A notch below Shake Shack and a bit pricier, but it was pretty tasty.

agreed. have had the double classic a few times now, really hits the mark for that shake shack type of burger. I'll still hit Skinners and White star when the mood strikes, and this spot for the fast/takeout. Fries are OK, nothing special. Service has been fast/great each time.

They have had tables outside for those looking to eat there.

Posted on: 2016/6/1 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad somebody agrees with me on the design choices, LOL. The glass is fine and probably should be there but why frosted? Seemed like they are trying to limit visibility, and in the process it REALLY isolates the space. In general, an awkward setup but it seems like they are not trying to draw much of a dine-in crowd. And yes, the name seems ridiculously generic, I'm not sure if it was intended that way or what, but as a details-oriented person this kills me, LOL.

That said, I finally tried the burger on Friday. It was tasty. A notch below Shake Shack and a bit pricier, but it was pretty tasty.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, they must be doing well because they're already planning on expanding into that little building that joins the restaurant on Erie. Good for them!

Had their sweet potato fries the other day sprinkled with cinnamon and they were yummy.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 17:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
I don't even eat burgers but again, give this business a chance - the owners probably left behind steady paychecks, spent some $$ doing a nice build out, and are trying their best to figure out best practices for cooking, wait times, credit card stuff, etc.

I'm so happy to see another nice looking shop here in town and will stop in to order some burgers for friends or something - because I'm committed to supporting small businesses.

The downtown closely resembled Trenton when I made a gamble and purchased a home here a decade ago. My sister purchased a home in Trenton and has witnessed that city's further decline since buying. She visits JC and cannot believe the assortment of options we have here - bagels, croissants, ice cream, great coffee, etc.

This burger shop is soliciting feedback (based on comments on this thread) and will hopefully dial into the community's preferences and pricing soon - but give the *little guy* a chance already.

they've got a tasty veggie burger option on the menu, if you'd like to join your carnivore pals for a B.E. bite.

and yes, the build-out is gorgeous. hell, I'm hoping they succeed based on aesthetics alone. that corner never looked so good.

the fact that I can also get a decent, affordable, quick-ish meal right on my block makes me a solid supporter of Burger Eatery.

Went a couple of weeks ago, and was unimpressed. Not in a bad way, just that the experience is like the name: you get what you see. The burger's ok tasting, and small, kind of like the burger that you get at your Food Network binge-watching friend's BBQ, but smaller.
The kitchen juts out into the dining area and creates a nice tight choke point to get to the back dining section.
The kitchen also has that hazy kitchen glass above the wood build-out which may have been necessary to meet code but makes it an open and invisible kitchen at the same time, for shorter people. Weird choices.
The seating area in front has stools with suboptimal leg position. The finishes are nice but it seems they didn't hire an interior designer; maybe flipped through a design mag with a builder. The eating position to table, table to foot rest ratios are all off. Kind of like the diagram for the perfect pooping position.
The owner/cashier/manager? was perky and friendly, but not enough of a reason to go again.
I hope they do well, it's an ok place, kind of like a 3/4 shake shack in terms of quality and quantity at 5/4 shake shack prices.
I think they WILL do well, just based on the type of food (JC grove street is burger/pizza ride or die), the LOCATION, and the price points.

edit: Just scrolled through cuz I haven't read this thread since the beginning. Looks like my take on the place just rehashed what most people have said already.
Someone mentioned White Castle, and I heard recently that White Mana on the Western Slope was the original inspiration for White Castle. Is that true? Going to check it out regardless.

2nd edit:Wikipedia tells me that no, it's not true.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 17:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Ribbon cutting with Mayor Steven Fulop. Photos by Windward Lift

Posted by JERSEY CITY LIST - jclist.com on Friday, January 15, 2016

Posted on: 2016/1/16 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I liked the burger when I tried it a few weeks ago. I do like that they are serving a different style of burger (smashed thin patty) than most of the other places in the area so IMO it is a good addition.

sometimes you just want a quick burger for lunch not a 1/2 lb of meat covered in toppings that you need a fork, knife and 10 napkins to eat and this fills that spot for me

I probably waited between 5 -10 minutes for my order (burger and truffle fries) but it wasn't anything too crazy. It would be nice if they had a call in option though so that I could grab and go if I had to run an errand and wanted to just grab something quick that was still good quality. (and my digestive system can definitely tell the difference between pat la frieda meat and random ground beef)

Posted on: 2016/1/8 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
I don't even eat burgers but again, give this business a chance - the owners probably left behind steady paychecks, spent some $$ doing a nice build out, and are trying their best to figure out best practices for cooking, wait times, credit card stuff, etc.

I'm so happy to see another nice looking shop here in town and will stop in to order some burgers for friends or something - because I'm committed to supporting small businesses.

The downtown closely resembled Trenton when I made a gamble and purchased a home here a decade ago. My sister purchased a home in Trenton and has witnessed that city's further decline since buying. She visits JC and cannot believe the assortment of options we have here - bagels, croissants, ice cream, great coffee, etc.

This burger shop is soliciting feedback (based on comments on this thread) and will hopefully dial into the community's preferences and pricing soon - but give the *little guy* a chance already.

they've got a tasty veggie burger option on the menu, if you'd like to join your carnivore pals for a B.E. bite.

and yes, the build-out is gorgeous. hell, I'm hoping they succeed based on aesthetics alone. that corner never looked so good.

the fact that I can also get a decent, affordable, quick-ish meal right on my block makes me a solid supporter of Burger Eatery.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/8 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Why don't you people lay off. What product do you put out there for consumers to rank on. Who can we check with to see how productive you are at your job. Give the guy a chance. Those who can, do! Those who can't, JC list

Seriously. This is why we can't have nice things.

+1

Posted on: 2016/1/8 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Burger Prices in Paulus Hook

Iron Monkey $14
Liberty Prime $14
Park & 6th Gastropub $12
Bistro La Source $11
Light Horse $11
White Star @ Harbor $11
Amelia's $10.50
City Diner $10.50
Taqueria Viva Mexico $9.95

Back in 2006 we used to laugh and then treat ourselves at the $10 burger offered by Light Horse =( With inflation, that burger should be $12 now.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Why don't you people lay off. What product do you put out there for consumers to rank on. Who can we check with to see how productive you are at your job. Give the guy a chance. Those who can, do! Those who can't, JC list

Seriously. This is why we can't have nice things.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 17:02

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017