Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: BURGER EATERY on 1st & Erie
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Why don't you people lay off.

You're right. I'm sorry for being a jerk. I'm just bitter because I can't afford a $7.38 burger.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StLRoma wrote:
Quote:

kencares wrote:
I'm pretty sure consensus is that they're selling fast food style burgers, very slowly, with meat that's more expensive than it's worth and charging more than everyone else selling this style of burger. If they don't drop their prices a few bucks, they'll be gone by next winter when the Toricos spill over dies off.

How does a burger joint get spillover from an ice cream shop?

Haha I am also wondering about this statement.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Why don't you people lay off. What product do you put out there for consumers to rank on. Who can we check with to see how productive you are at your job. Give the guy a chance. Those who can, do! Those who can't, JC list

Posted on: 2016/1/8 11:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i wish them the best

Posted on: 2016/1/8 10:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/16 20:24
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
I'm pretty sure consensus is that they're selling fast food style burgers, very slowly, with meat that's more expensive than it's worth and charging more than everyone else selling this style of burger. If they don't drop their prices a few bucks, they'll be gone by next winter when the Toricos spill over dies off.

How does a burger joint get spillover from an ice cream shop?

Posted on: 2016/1/8 6:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
$9.59 for a shack stack, yes! $7.38 for a burger, I'll pass.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/7 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
The fact that they're more expensive than SS, within reason, is expected and in my view entirely acceptable. The trouble is that they're worse, more expensive, and from what I see - they don't offer anything unique other than "hey, we're here and they're not." I'm in Manhattan enough that I'll just grab SS there if I'm in the mood.

I appreciate that they're in somewhat of a tough bind, but it is business 101 to realize that you have to offer some competitive advantage to stay in business.

With respect to the "restaurant burger" vs "upscale fast food burger" I agree that they're different animals. The key though, is that they're different price ranges too. I think we're starting to get certain of the latter approaching the price of the former, especially if you want something like fries with your burger. For example, Hamilton Inn, which sells a decent organic burger for $10 with fries (granted, you'll have to pay extra for cheese) ends up seeming like a value. Park and Sixth, which has a great burger for $14 with fries is only slightly more expensive - and is a far more substantial burger.

Has Hamilton Park upped their burger game? I've only had their burger a few times over the last 3 years and I always thought what i received was a pre-frozen, overcooked patty. If things have changed, I'd give them another shot (maybe).

Honestly, it is solid but not outstanding. Park and Sixth is better. At Hamilton Inn I always order it medium rare and it ends up fine. Personally, I really like their truffle fries and for only a few dollars extra you can get them.

But bringing it back to the original topic - if the prices are basically the same for Hamilton Inn and Burger Eatery then I'm going to Hamilton Inn. Especially since they actually do have outdoor tables in the summer and if I'm with people who aren't dying for a burger they'll find something else there.

Posted on: 2016/1/7 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
The fact that they're more expensive than SS, within reason, is expected and in my view entirely acceptable. The trouble is that they're worse, more expensive, and from what I see - they don't offer anything unique other than "hey, we're here and they're not." I'm in Manhattan enough that I'll just grab SS there if I'm in the mood.

I appreciate that they're in somewhat of a tough bind, but it is business 101 to realize that you have to offer some competitive advantage to stay in business.

With respect to the "restaurant burger" vs "upscale fast food burger" I agree that they're different animals. The key though, is that they're different price ranges too. I think we're starting to get certain of the latter approaching the price of the former, especially if you want something like fries with your burger. For example, Hamilton Inn, which sells a decent organic burger for $10 with fries (granted, you'll have to pay extra for cheese) ends up seeming like a value. Park and Sixth, which has a great burger for $14 with fries is only slightly more expensive - and is a far more substantial burger.

Has Hamilton Park upped their burger game? I've only had their burger a few times over the last 3 years and I always thought what i received was a pre-frozen, overcooked patty. If things have changed, I'd give them another shot (maybe).

Posted on: 2016/1/7 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/7 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

tamard wrote:

Are you a 2 1/2 ft toddler? You can see the ENTIRE kitchen from both the point of sale and at the other end for pick-up.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Anybody else annoyed by the opaque glass guard which prevents you from seeing ANYTHING behind?

Then why make the glass which spans the entire counter, opaque? Not only does it look bad from a design perspective, it makes it seem like they have something to hide.

I am really at a loss to understand why this is bothering you so much. As a design element, I think it lends the place a bit of a nice touch. As a practical measure, I think the opaque glass is good to shield the cooks from extra sun exposure (think additional, unnecessary heat) while working away. I never got any sort of sense or feeling that they are trying to hide anything. As someone else pointed out, you can their every action from either side of the cooking area (the POS side, or the pick up side) so they are obviously not trying to hide what they are doing.

Posted on: 2016/1/7 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

tamard wrote:

Are you a 2 1/2 ft toddler? You can see the ENTIRE kitchen from both the point of sale and at the other end for pick-up.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Anybody else annoyed by the opaque glass guard which prevents you from seeing ANYTHING behind?

Then why make the glass which spans the entire counter, opaque? Not only does it look bad from a design perspective, it makes it seem like they have something to hide.

Maybe they're hiding from people breathing all over the food??? I'm okay with this.

Posted on: 2016/1/7 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tamard wrote:

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/7 18:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/7 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Kencares being an idiot is literally the only thing everyone on JCList can agree on.

Posted on: 2016/1/7 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
It's a 66? of ingredients burger that would normally sell for $1.99 at any other fast food restaurant. It's no Big Mac or Whopper. It's a little bigger than the 72? White Castle and about the same size as the $1 McDonalds hamburger, but with more toppings, "fancy" beef and special sauce, which puts it squarely in the $1.99 retail price range.

They're aspiring to be a Shake Shack in size and quality, but Shake Shack costs $5.66 (tax included) vs $7.38 at this knock-off.

Overpriced. Won't last.

Clearly, you've never run a small business before.

White Castle? McDonalds? Shake Shack? lulz

Posted on: 2016/1/7 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed that it's two different categories entirely, kind of like a pizza slice joint versus a wood fired brick oven, Neapolitan pizza place. Different flavors, different experience.

I hope they consider later hours on Fridays and Saturday nights...

Posted on: 2016/1/7 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
i like how we're comparing the prices between a one-store business with a company that has 48 locations in the US and another 34 locations abroad.

OH MAN THEY ARE A DOLLAR AND SEVENTY TWO CENTS MORE EXPENSIVE! HOW DO ECONOMIES OF SCALE WORK?!

Also take note that SS also uses LaFrieda meat - and in fact they were the ones that really made them famous. The rise of Shake Shack and LaFrieda's Meats go hand in hand.

Mind you, they also aren't as good as Shake Shack (at least on my initial one-burger test), and I told the owner as such when she asked me for my opinion. That said, there isn't one in the area, so if you want a good burger and don't want to travel, then Shack is off the table. Look, SS is the ideal as far as an upscale-casual/fast burger goes imo. Not beating the best doesn't make one awful. BE is better than 5-guys by a long shot, and also better than some of the bar burgers out there.

That said, the thick burger is my go-to of choice, and as such, a place like Park Tavern will always win out to me, but they're simply two different animals to me, like a corn hard-shell classic American taco vs the more authentic flour tortilla. They are just so different, that labeling them in the same category is almost a disservice

Posted on: 2016/1/7 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
It's a 66? of ingredients burger that would normally sell for $1.99 at any other fast food restaurant. It's no Big Mac or Whopper. It's a little bigger than the 72? White Castle and about the same size as the $1 McDonalds hamburger, but with more toppings, "fancy" beef and special sauce, which puts it squarely in the $1.99 retail price range.

They're aspiring to be a Shake Shack in size and quality, but Shake Shack costs $5.66 (tax included) vs $7.38 at this knock-off.

Overpriced. Won't last.

I haven't stopped here and not sure if/when I will, but comparing a burger place that gets meat from a well reputed source and has quality ingredients with White Castle, McDonalds and BK is just silly.

Comparing to Shake Shack makes much more sense.

Posted on: 2016/1/7 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:

Overpriced. Won't last.

Sounds like Mr. Wonderful is out.

Posted on: 2016/1/7 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
It's a 66? of ingredients burger that would normally sell for $1.99 at any other fast food restaurant. It's no Big Mac or Whopper.

Where are you getting your numbers from? Someone said their meat comes from Pat LaFrieda.

I've never been to the place but it sounds like you are talking out of your ass.

Posted on: 2016/1/7 6:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Overpriced. Won't last.

Posted on: 2016/1/7 5:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
They're selling good, $1.99 burgers for $7.38.

Not a business man, eh? If you sell something at cost, you won't last very long..

Posted on: 2016/1/6 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
In order for an establishment to pay rent, their employees, ingredients etc. they have to mark up the food they prepare. Often times its more than double.

Can you even buy a bic mac for 1.99?

Kencares should change his name to Kensretarded

Nope, depends on the location but some places upwards of $5...

Posted on: 2016/1/6 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Generally, restaurants need to triple the cost of food to make a profit. Very few restaurants can stay afloat if food cost approaches 40% of operating revenue.

Posted on: 2016/1/6 22:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
In order for an establishment to pay rent, their employees, ingredients etc. they have to mark up the food they prepare. Often times its more than double.

Can you even buy a bic mac for 1.99?

Kencares should change his name to Kensretarded

Posted on: 2016/1/6 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:

OMG you mean when you buy things at the grocery store and prepare it yourself it's cheaper than buying it cooked from a restaurant?! Have you brought this discovery to the attention of any local news outlets to break the story????

Posted on: 2016/1/6 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/6 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
and fries, two sodas and a five dollar tip. but hey, who's counting and why let facts get in the way of a good narrative?

Went and tried them myself this afternoon, I'll just note down everything.

Single cheeseburger (cheddar), no fries, no drink - $7.38 with tax.

The burger is a standard smash. They get a burger ball about half the size of your fist, put it under what appears to be wax or butcher paper in a cooler underneath the flat top and keep it there until you order. It's from La Frieda, so that's a good sign there. Upon order, they take one out, put it on the grill, take a press and smash it down to a ~1/2" patty. They season the top side with something, let it go for a bit, take a scraper (glass scraper that you'd find at a hardware store) and using a good deal of pressure, make sure they get the entire burger off the grill. It's then flipped, cheese is added and they cover it in a bowl so it'll melt.

Assembly of the sandwich is burger sauce on a plain toasted bun (both sides), lettuce on the bottom, followed by tomato, then burger.

Thoughts on going: they had a few orders - not many, but a few at the time - and the two gentlemen manning the grill seemed confused by the timing of how things were supposed to come off. My burger was set aside, then apparently forgot about during a moment of confusion. The younger guy there noticed it after a bit, turned to me and said "sorry about this, but the burger's too dry, we're gonna make you a fresh one". While it's sad that 3 orders sent things into a tizzy, it's great that the guy took it upon himself to say "no, we're not gonna serve that" and make a new one. That's exactly what you want to see from someone serving you food.

Got my burger, added a bit of ketchup (the old-fashioned bottles are silly and get messy, but it adds "class". whatever) and ate it. The burger was mostly lost in the toppings. Too thick a slice of tomato, and too much cheddar hid a lot of the meat flavor. Also, for a smashed burger cooked medium-well, there wasn't enough craggy bits. I'll try a double next time to see if the topping/burger ratio is better that way.

I met the owner, Danielle, who asked me my opinion and I gave her pretty much the same shpiel as the last paragraph. Nice enough person and I'm glad they're open (and better than Left Bank), but to me there's still room to improve. I hope they do, and told her as much.

EDIT: she told me that if it isn't a busy time, I can ask for medium-rare, despite the menu stating they only cook it one way. This is a good thing. I'll be trying that next time.

Posted on: 2016/1/5 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Stopped by today for a classic and some plain fries. Not bad. The burger got drippy in the end, so I'll plan accordingly next time. I just asked for ketchup and not the special sauce, but I got a burger with the sauce and no ketchup. Oh well. Fries were a little soggy but tasty (the order was large enough for two people). Everything was hot and served within five minutes of my order. I would stop by again but be very specific with my order.

Two classics, one fry, two sodas and a $5 tip - $29.00.

FWIW, there's a sign on the door hiring for new cook staff.

Posted on: 2016/1/5 22:01

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017