Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Central Avenue redevelopment plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CASID wrote:
Resized Image

Do you care about the Central Avenue shopping district? Come to discuss what you love, what's missing, and how to make Central Avenue serve its community to the best of its ability. Facilitated by Positivity Strategist Robyn Stratton-Berkessel.

Date: Saturday Feb. 20, 2016 from 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM

Where: PS 8 - 96 Franklin St., Jersey City

Register Now for this FREE Workshop.

Are you guys sure you really want me there? You already know my tenets: Increase the density. Encourage mixed-uses. Protect existing residents from being gentrified out.

I've read the draft plan and it looks really good. Nice job CASID.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 20:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/19 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Do you care about the Central Avenue shopping district? Come to discuss what you love, what's missing, and how to make Central Avenue serve its community to the best of its ability. Facilitated by Positivity Strategist Robyn Stratton-Berkessel.

Date: Saturday Feb. 20, 2016 from 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM

Where: PS 8 - 96 Franklin St., Jersey City

Register Now for this FREE Workshop.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
One example community groups cite as inappropriate development is a proposed 14-story building along Central Avenue. Mills said the plan would redevelop a site currently occupied by a Burger King, along with property behind it.

?While most of us would like to see that site redeveloped, we think 14 stories are too high, and it calls for using the entire footprint of the property.?

I wouldn't mind redeveloping part of the area in R-3 or R-4 density buildings with one caveat: Some improvement to the public transportation is paid for as part of the project.

Either created dedicated bus lane / route or somehow expand the light rail to have a spur that serves the development (elevated train? Tunnel?).

Buses during the rush have a terrible time staying on schedule due to traffic. More than one I have had my wife calling after waiting over 30 minutes for a bus (that was due 25 minutes ago) only to have three buses show up at once.

High density housing is actually a good thing if you plan the transportation infrastructure accordingly.

are you aware that Jersey City does not get to tell HBLRT or NJ Transit what to do? It takes decades to have light rail lines approved, designed, built, etc. and the density in the heights isn't enough to merit the expense.

On that note, is there any room for a dedicated bus lane in the heights on any street other than Kennedy? There is no space on Summit or Central.

Posted on: 2015/12/2 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
One example community groups cite as inappropriate development is a proposed 14-story building along Central Avenue. Mills said the plan would redevelop a site currently occupied by a Burger King, along with property behind it.

?While most of us would like to see that site redeveloped, we think 14 stories are too high, and it calls for using the entire footprint of the property.?

I wouldn't mind redeveloping part of the area in R-3 or R-4 density buildings with one caveat: Some improvement to the public transportation is paid for as part of the project.

Either created dedicated bus lane / route or somehow expand the light rail to have a spur that serves the development (elevated train? Tunnel?).

Buses during the rush have a terrible time staying on schedule due to traffic. More than one I have had my wife calling after waiting over 30 minutes for a bus (that was due 25 minutes ago) only to have three buses show up at once.

High density housing is actually a good thing if you plan the transportation infrastructure accordingly.

are you aware that Jersey City does not get to tell HBLRT or NJ Transit what to do? It takes decades to have light rail lines approved, designed, built, etc. and the density in the heights isn't enough to merit the expense.

Posted on: 2015/12/2 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
THe RVNA has come out swinging against the plan and have a list of reasons on their website why they will support. It's really quite comical as it's clear their motive is pure NIMBYism and a desire to see no change for anyone else because Ogden Ave is doing just fine, the rest of the Heights community be dammed! , Central Avenue could use a little revitalization to fill in the vacant spots, and this plan is a very level headed means to accomplish that. Will be asking Micheal Yun to show his support. RVNA can be dammed as they represent maybe 1% of the community: the wealthy of Ogden.

Posted on: 2015/12/2 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The PATH is the red-headed step-child of the Port Authority. They never wanted it and were forced to take it as part of the compromise to build the original WTC. I think the leadership of the Port Authority, if offered would love to unload to entire PATH network to another government agency.

Plus, being a government agency, labor costs are about 2.7x that of the private sector. Even with the upped labor costs, I am at a loss to understand why it will take over a billion bucks just to extend the PATH, on existing railroad right of way to Newark airport.

So, extending the PATH to the Heights is beyond fantasy. Though, it would be awesome to have PATH stations underneath Central or Summit Ave.

My guess is (as Brewster has pointed out) the best option would be a dedicated bus right of way. Hopefully with limited stops to reduce transit times.

Any light rail option would need to be raised above grade (sky train) or tunneled (really friggin expensive). The light rail could also be extended to have a station very near the PATH train. There is an unused rail right of way that leads to JSQ. Plus, you have the Bergen Arches that could provide another partial route to at least run tangent to the Heights.

The old PSE&G trolley system did have elevated section in the Heights. One section going across Rt. 139 and another running adjacent to Ferry st. that ran to Palisade ave.

Maybe if a development project was big enough, a private developer(s) would build whatever transportation was required in return for a PILOT?

Posted on: 2015/12/1 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I want to say the original route for the HBLR was along Kennedy Boulevard. It was moved to the waterfront to encourage development.

Also never going to happen, but it would be amazing if the 33rd - JSQ path trains were extended north from Journal Square to stations at Manhattan, Congress and beyond. Since this is fantasy, why not all the way up to the Lincoln Tunnel for another transhudson tube to midtown.

Transit in this country sucks. It's only when the system hits critical mass does the federal dollars start flowing a la the Gateway project.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/1 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
it was the Riverview Neighborhood Association and NOT the city that put the information out for people to read/see.

that is the problem.

Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Thanks, JCGuys! I skimmed it, and while I need to go over the proposal in detail I found a lot to like:
- designate groups of historic buildings, with intent to encourage adaptive re-use
- make walking and biking easier, and discourage automobile dependency
- prohibiting commercial parking lots and drive-throughs
- design guidelines for contextual floor-to-floor heights, use of material, building massing, etc.

I'm not sure I understand how the 'Neighborhood Notice Requirements' are supposed to function, or what their purpose is. Why potentially diminish public awareness by involving a group that's against anything new?

Posted on: 2015/12/1 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, JCGuys! I skimmed it, and while I need to go over the proposal in detail I found a lot to like:
- designate groups of historic buildings, with intent to encourage adaptive re-use
- make walking and biking easier, and discourage automobile dependency
- prohibiting commercial parking lots and drive-throughs
- design guidelines for contextual floor-to-floor heights, use of material, building massing, etc.

I'm not sure I understand how the 'Neighborhood Notice Requirements' are supposed to function, or what their purpose is. Why potentially diminish public awareness by involving a group that's against anything new?

Posted on: 2015/12/1 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Found it: http://riverviewneighborhood.org/word ... nue-RP-DRAFT-10272015.pdf

Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing the plan, too. Central Avenue is a backwater because of the status quo.

I appreciate the RNA's efforts to make the '100 Steps' and the Farmers' Market happen - which also benefit Heights residents who don't live on Ogden Avenue, however I feel their comments about mass transit options being at capacity don't reflect the reality. Bus service in particular suffers inordinate scheduling problems due to the lack of traffic planning. RNA worked hard to get the zoning changed along Palisades Avenue to allow more restaurants, but the improvement has been negligible.

I've been a few times to other group's meetings - Heights Hope, P.S. 8 Block Association, etc. IMO these groups are highly non-representative of the Heights - I mostly sat and listened to older, white residents complain. Heights Hope's Mills is all over the place - agreeing that the drive through Burger King site would benefit from development, and acknowledging the blight from all the illegal and substandard housing, yet resisting larger scale residential development that would bring much needed more affluent residents with their tax base, spending power, and potential market for better stores on Central Avenue and Palisade Avenues.

Posted on: 2015/11/30 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking forward to seeing the plan, too. Central Avenue is a backwater because of the status quo.

I appreciate the RNA's efforts to make the '100 Steps' and the Farmers' Market happen - which also benefit Heights residents who don't live on Ogden Avenue, however I feel their comments about mass transit options being at capacity don't reflect the reality. Bus service in particular suffers inordinate scheduling problems due to the lack of traffic planning. RNA worked hard to get the zoning changed along Palisades Avenue to allow more restaurants, but the improvement has been negligible.

I've been a few times to other group's meetings - Heights Hope, P.S. 8 Block Association, etc. IMO these groups are highly non-representative of the Heights - I mostly sat and listened to older, white residents complain. Heights Hope's Mills is all over the place - agreeing that the drive through Burger King site would benefit from development, and acknowledging the blight from all the illegal and substandard housing, yet resisting larger scale residential development that would bring much needed more affluent residents with their tax base, spending power, and potential market for better stores on Central Avenue and Palisade Avenues.

Posted on: 2015/11/30 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
the city and planning department are well aware of the Riverview Neighborhood Association and the Washington Park Association. Both the city and county have worked with both organizations and funded (including grants) many activities, including festivals, events. farmers markets, movies etc. both organizations go pretty far in representing residents (hundreds.)

on the other hand, while the CASID should be involved, many members and officers clearly (including councilman Yun) have a conflict of interest as property owners.

and excluding the public in redevelopment plans until the 25th hour is the same old shit.

Posted on: 2015/11/30 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Well said. The Nighborhood Associations do not represent the larger community. First warning sign is the lack of diversity of their board members; the Heights community is extremly diverse. Maybe the most diverse zip codd in the country.

We have a councilperson that has been elected to represent the community, and this Heights confident when the plan is brought for public comment, the voice of the community will be heard.

Central Avenue is a wonderful street that has fallen on hard times. Limited redevelopment of the empty and underutilized lots, including that sorry single-story Burger King building would be a big positive both for residents and existing businesses.

I can't wait to see the plans.

Posted on: 2015/11/30 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
it hardly seems a secret if the SID knew about it as well as the council office and councilman who owns like 1/2 of the stores there. I'm not saying I'm comfortable with his involvement. All I'm saying is that little community groups appear frequently and then get mad that they aren't in the know and/or think that their 5-person membership (and I have no idea how many people this group has, maybe it's 100 for all I know) should get to speak for everyone. Splinter groups are par for the course in some neighborhoods. It should also be pointed out that community groups don't make laws or plans, nor do they vote on them - City Council is the ONLY body who does that. (Not the SID, not Planners, not the Zoning director)

Posted on: 2015/11/30 1:24

Central Avenue redevelopment plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

No way!
Central Avenue redevelopment plan draws fire from community groups

by Al Sullivan
Reporter staff writer
Nov 22, 2015

Neighborhood groups in the Heights section of Jersey City are outraged at being excluded from discussions involving a massive redevelopment plan for Central Avenue and beyond.

The Riverview Neighborhood Association (RNA) and the Washington Park Neighborhood Association say they were never apprised about meetings concerning a draft redevelopment plan that could radically alter the area.

Mary Mills, a member of a group called Heights Hope, said the associations were surprised by the apparent secrecy that surrounded creation of the plan.

“There was suddenly this plan that nobody knew about,” she said.

The draft redevelopment plan was put together partly at the request of the Central Avenue Special Improvement District (CASID) in conjunction with city Planning Department.

Councilman Michael Yun, former head of the CASID and the councilman representing that area, was also included in these discussions.

“The preliminary redevelopment plan drafted by the city circulating in the neighborhood is just that – a preliminary draft,” said CASID President Sanford Fishman and the Board of Trustees in response to the community groups. “It was created due to an ongoing internal discussion at the SID as it relates to exploring all options available that can contribute to the growth of The Heights neighborhood main street community.”

Fishman said the SID created a subcommittee to explore the benefits of a redevelopment plan and report its findings back to the board.

Posted on: 2015/11/30 0:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017