Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: The Citizen - Formerly The Dopeness

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 5:30
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
The Citizen was owned and being run by a con artist(s) who have stole money from many different people along various businesses for the past few years in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2017/8/23 17:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
We walk by regularly and there is no activity. On a different note, FM is now open, but they don't have a happy hour or anything..

Posted on: 2017/5/13 0:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/13 2:42
From The Island
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone have any updates on The Citizen? It's been.....awhile.

Posted on: 2017/5/12 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Dudes I know were supposed to play a show at Citizen last week but got there to find the place was closed. Grapevine said something about issues with the liquor license? Nothing concrete, but they were still doing takeout food orders with the kitchen open as of a week ago.
Weird. Hope it works out for them.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Not to pile on, but the name was pretty bad also to be honest. You can name your restaurant literally anything you want, why choose something that evokes images of Port-o potties? I mean I understand that Porto is a city in Portugal, but why make it cheesy by adding a dash to make it Port-O?

Huh? It's PORTA potties, as in portable potties. I don't know of any friends that ever made the association to which you allude, but perhaps yours did. Never crossed my mind, though.

But, yeah, the place was good at times, and uneven at others. I wish I had visited them one more time before they closed. Oh, well.

These guys must really hate the name Porta Pizza! Porto was doing fine but couldn't handle the rent increase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto

I'm 99% sure that the owner of Porto is also the building owner so it wasn't a matter of a rent increase

Posted on: 2016/10/13 19:06
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
I lived around the block from Port-O for 2 years and never ventured in for this reason. The branding was very strange and it seems like they kept moving the bar around inside the space. They could have also done a better job of advertising the large outdoor space they have.

wait, they had outdoor space?

Yeah, check out the craigslist post for the space.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
I lived around the block from Port-O for 2 years and never ventured in for this reason. The branding was very strange and it seems like they kept moving the bar around inside the space. They could have also done a better job of advertising the large outdoor space they have.

They did! But, as I recall it, it was a small outdoor space in the back. I sat there once and it was definitely a nice respite from the crowds that would sometimes materialize seemingly out of nowhere.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Not to pile on, but the name was pretty bad also to be honest. You can name your restaurant literally anything you want, why choose something that evokes images of Port-o potties? I mean I understand that Porto is a city in Portugal, but why make it cheesy by adding a dash to make it Port-O?

Huh? It's PORTA potties, as in portable potties. I don't know of any friends that ever made the association to which you allude, but perhaps yours did. Never crossed my mind, though.

But, yeah, the place was good at times, and uneven at others. I wish I had visited them one more time before they closed. Oh, well.

These guys must really hate the name Porta Pizza! Porto was doing fine but couldn't handle the rent increase.

I was going to add something similar, but the point was not to pile on, so I left it out. But, yes... by the logic laid out by tommyc_37, Porta Pizza would be a total failure, and that is obviously not the case. That place is packed almost every day. Certainly from Thursday through Sunday it is always crowded.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/13 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/13 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/13 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Regarding Port-O, yes they definitely had an identity crisis but the decor also seemed kind of cheesy and food didn't stand out so much.

Not to pile on, but the name was pretty bad also to be honest. You can name your restaurant literally anything you want, why choose something that evokes images of Port-o potties? I mean I understand that Porto is a city in Portugal, but why make it cheesy by adding a dash to make it Port-O? Just a bad name in my opinion.

Oh well, 5 years or so in business is actually a decent achievement, especially on that section of Newark Ave.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

One thing about that place: I always felt it was stuck in an identity crisis, not knowing if it wanted to be a restaurant, a bar, or a lounge, instead choosing to do all three in a way that was interesting yet a bit jarring.

Agreed, I lived around the block from Port-O for 2 years and never ventured in for this reason. The branding was very strange and it seems like they kept moving the bar around inside the space. They could have also done a better job of advertising the large outdoor space they have.

Oh well, on to the next.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tino wrote:
anyone know why the bar is 'temporarily closed'? seems like this stretch is going through a rough patch with UR and Port-O closing recently

Whoa! Port-O closed? When did that happen?? I didn't make it there often enough, but their food was surprisingly good at times. Although, to be completely honest, I was not too happy with my last visit with the food ordered being subpar.

One thing about that place: I always felt it was stuck in an identity crisis, not knowing if it wanted to be a restaurant, a bar, or a lounge, instead choosing to do all three in a way that was interesting yet a bit jarring.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 13:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
anyone know why the bar is 'temporarily closed'? seems like this stretch is going through a rough patch with UR and Port-O closing recently

Posted on: 2016/10/13 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Part of their "renovation" appears to include drilling some chalk boards into trees that are in front of their building. They also did a crap job covering the base of the trees with stained wood- looking forward to that being a rotting mess once we get some snow! I'm kind of over this place after walking past the tons of garbage they've left on the sidewalk for days at a time while they were renovating this time around. I'm not expecting much despite the new name.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thirstyquaker wrote:
Much better name. So it's the same guys? I got a little confused when I met up with one of our beer reps the other night and he mentioned the new bar setup. I knew the Dopeness guys had been looking for a liquor license for a while and thought maybe they had sold off to someone else who got it. If they got their own license that's awesome, it's a great space.

My understanding is that they had gotten their liquor license a while ago. I am pretty sure it was mentioned in a post here in JCLIST.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thirstyquaker wrote:
Much better name. So it's the same guys?

My understanding is that it's new management. Not sure if it's new owners as well.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Much better name. So it's the same guys? I got a little confused when I met up with one of our beer reps the other night and he mentioned the new bar setup. I knew the Dopeness guys had been looking for a liquor license for a while and thought maybe they had sold off to someone else who got it. If they got their own license that's awesome, it's a great space.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
it's a better name at least

Posted on: 2015/11/11 15:11

The Citizen - Formerly The Dopeness
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody been to the new incarnation? Looks like a new bar but on The Dopeness facebook page, it says they've changed their name:
https://www.facebook.com/thedopenessjc/posts/901781069892382

Seems like they'll still be doing music and comedy shows.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 14:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017