Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
43 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 43

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: 4k/UHD vs. LED TV's
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
apparently, samsung is going to debut a 150" micro led tv at the consumer electronics show next week...so i guess this is the next great thing.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/samsung- ... cro-led-tv-at-ces-report/

i watched a dvd on my new blu ray player on my 32" 1080 hd tv and i was amazed at the picture clarity, sharpness...would the picture quality have been even greater had i used a blu ray disc? is the picture quality of a 4k tv comparable to that of blu ray?

also, sometimes i wear glasses when i'm watching tv which obviously magnifies the images and make them sharper. any thoughts/observations on screen size and 4k and glasses?

Posted on: 12/31 8:17
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
tv aficionados, any word on whether lg is coming out with a roku oled tv? i could see forking over the money for such a device..i'm like the schoolboy saving his money for that "just right" baseball card

I doubt it, though anything is possible. However there are 4 HDMI inputs on the LG OLEDs, so adding a Roku device is very easy. OTOH, the LG WebOS has an internet browser as well as a very comprehensive set of apps.

I have a Roku HD device hooked up to my LG OLED, but I rarely use it as almost everything is available through the LG WebOS. The only exception is for CBS All Access, for which the Roku does give a better experience. but even that I can get via the LG directly.

Posted on: 12/30 3:05
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
tv aficionados, any word on whether lg is coming out with a roku oled tv? i could see forking over the money for such a device..i'm like the schoolboy saving his money for that "just right" baseball card

Posted on: 12/29 19:03
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
You probably won't notice the 'pop' going from 1080p to UHD unless you have a larger screen and fully working HDR. Once you do, you won't be going back and you will feel the pain in realizing not everything is UHD yet.

Posted on: 12/29 12:43
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Absolutely nothing is BROADCAST in 1080p. However there are quite a few 1080p programming choices, and many Ultra HD choices available via streaming services. The pictures are quite amazing.

Do you need anything higher than 1080i. NO, but the reality is, you don't need any TV. That's the beauty of this all, the choice is yours.

I've been watching a lot of UHD lately and enjoying it immensely.

Posted on: 12/28 16:02
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From York & Grove
Group:
Registered Users
I don't believe anything is even broadcasted in 1080p yet (maybe some netflix). It'll be many years before there is any capability of broadcasting in 4k and by then manufacturers will be pushing something different.

Posted on: 12/28 15:58
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:

I'm that other poster. If you haven't already, start using the built in smart TV functionality of the LG to connect to Amazon, Netflix and Hulu, along with live IP TV channels.. The Amazon UHD stuff is not an extra charge. Netflix does charge extra monthly, not sure about HULU. But the 4K Amazon stuff looks incredible, and the built in interfaces are very good (can't compare to to the Apple TV interface). There's a ton of usability built into these LG tvs. Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip! I had not used this at all, assumed it was somewhat useless based on past TVs. I opened the box, connected and tossed the user manual and never looked back:)

Posted on: 12/28 12:39
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
If it helps anyone I bought a 65 inch 4K LG OLED for Black Friday. I also have HD sets (3 of them), the difference for true 4K content is staggering to me. Note that neither Comcast nor Fios has anything in 4K. I am using a 4K Apple TV with a fast Fios connection to stream. HD does also look better, but to me 4K content looks better than real life, almost too good. Perhaps it’s the lighting but real life doesn’t look as sharp and I have 20-20 vision. Good luck, the price is steep but falling. Agree with the other poster, if buying LG get the lowest 2017 model, picture quality is the same, it’s the frame and sound that change. Use a receiver for Atmos if you want it!

I'm that other poster. If you haven't already, start using the built in smart TV functionality of the LG to connect to Amazon, Netflix and Hulu, along with live IP TV channels.. The Amazon UHD stuff is not an extra charge. Netflix does charge extra monthly, not sure about HULU. But the 4K Amazon stuff looks incredible, and the built in interfaces are very good (can't compare to to the Apple TV interface). There's a ton of usability built into these LG tvs. Enjoy.

Posted on: 12/28 8:17
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
If it helps anyone I bought a 65 inch 4K LG OLED for Black Friday. I also have HD sets (3 of them), the difference for true 4K content is staggering to me. Note that neither Comcast nor Fios has anything in 4K. I am using a 4K Apple TV with a fast Fios connection to stream. HD does also look better, but to me 4K content looks better than real life, almost too good. Perhaps it’s the lighting but real life doesn’t look as sharp and I have 20-20 vision. Good luck, the price is steep but falling. Agree with the other poster, if buying LG get the lowest 2017 model, picture quality is the same, it’s the frame and sound that change. Use a receiver for Atmos if you want it!

Posted on: 12/27 22:59
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
My eyesight even with glasses can hardly justify HD! Never mind the fact that's so much media doesn't even hit that bar. Does everyone out there actually have Blu-ray players? I don't have cable, do any cable shows transmit north of 1080?

Perhaps it is time to get a new prescription!? The difference between HD and SD is like comparing B/W to Color. Once you get used to HD, watching anything in SD is downright jarring.

As a Verizon FiOS customer, I dont *ever* watch anything below Channel 500, which is where the SD stuff resides.

I wear progressives normally, which means I have to hold my head at exactly the right angle to see the screen perfectly clearly. I do have a pair that are regular for watching TV but don't always remember to wear them. And I do have a 1080 HD TV but it seems like Netflix doesn't hit that resolution and I never watch broadcast HD.

My comment was more of a friendly jab. It's all about the input source, of course. If your Netflix is not getting enough bandwidth to put out an HD signal, and you never watch HD channels, then you would be hard pressed to notice a difference.

But, without a doubt, if you are watching an HD stream that suddenly goes to SD (say, in the case of Netflix getting bogged down because your home line is getting saturated) you will definitely notice a difference in picture quality. For anyone that watches TV in HD quality routinely, anything less is readily noticeable.

Posted on: 12/27 22:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
My eyesight even with glasses can hardly justify HD! Never mind the fact that's so much media doesn't even hit that bar. Does everyone out there actually have Blu-ray players? I don't have cable, do any cable shows transmit north of 1080?

Perhaps it is time to get a new prescription!? The difference between HD and SD is like comparing B/W to Color. Once you get used to HD, watching anything in SD is downright jarring.

As a Verizon FiOS customer, I dont *ever* watch anything below Channel 500, which is where the SD stuff resides.

I wear progressives normally, which means I have to hold my head at exactly the right angle to see the screen perfectly clearly. I do have a pair that are regular for watching TV but don't always remember to wear them. And I do have a 1080 HD TV but it seems like Netflix doesn't hit that resolution and I never watch broadcast HD.

Posted on: 12/27 18:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
i was at bestbuy and those lg oled tvs are GORGEOUS but the tcl uhd tv wasn't bad either. i'd be nervous about forking out so much for an lg oled, knowing that several of my previous met a violent end after arguments. also, i tend to watch roku and pbs over the air (antenna tv) so is 4k still worth it.

Posted on: 12/27 15:56
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 12/27 15:06
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 12/27 15:02
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
those oled/qled tvs are beautiful but i'm not sure i can justify spending the money on them since i don't watch tv that much. ghowever, i have been eyeing the tcl -p series 4k roku hdr tvs which cnet compares to a poor man's oled.

Do NOT be fooled by Samsung's "QLEDs" they are not the same as LG/Sony OLEDs. QLED is basically an enhanced version of the standard LED/LCD display, while OLEDs are a totally different technology as described in my prior post.

Yes, the OLEDs are more expensive. It's your call if it's worth the money. For me, it was.

Posted on: 12/27 14:10
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
those oled/qled tvs are beautiful but i'm not sure i can justify spending the money on them since i don't watch tv that much. ghowever, i have been eyeing the tcl -p series 4k roku hdr tvs which cnet compares to a poor man's oled.

also, if i get a soundbar - should it be 3.1 or 5.1. i heard a salesperson at bestbuy tell someone that a 3.1 is just fine Quote:

mscottc wrote:
As of right now, pretty much all TVs are "Smart TVs." The only real standout technology is OLED. Unlike the LCD/LED TVs, where there is backligitng of some form passing through Liquid Crystal Displays, OLEDs or Organic Light Emitting Displays have a system where each pixel creates its own light. This means that when you want black for that specific pixel, you just turn off that specific pixel. It's the only current display technology that makes true blacks.

The two current manufacturers of large screen OLEDs are LG and Sony (which uses LG panels). I've had the LG Electronics OLED55C7P 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2017 Model)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M ... age_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
now for about 2 months, and I'm incredibly happy with it.

The one change I'd advise, unless you're a real audio freak, get the B model for about $200 less than the C model. The Dolby ATMOS audio is not a big deal.

Full disclosure. I'm in charge of the technical production of 60 MINUTES, so working with high quality displays is an integral part of my job, and OLED are indeed the technology of choice, and I have some experience in this issue.

Posted on: 12/27 12:48
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
As of right now, pretty much all TVs are "Smart TVs." The only real standout technology is OLED. Unlike the LCD/LED TVs, where there is backligitng of some form passing through Liquid Crystal Displays, OLEDs or Organic Light Emitting Displays have a system where each pixel creates its own light. This means that when you want black for that specific pixel, you just turn off that specific pixel. It's the only current display technology that makes true blacks.

The two current manufacturers of large screen OLEDs are LG and Sony (which uses LG panels). I've had the LG Electronics OLED55C7P 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2017 Model)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M ... age_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
now for about 2 months, and I'm incredibly happy with it.

The one change I'd advise, unless you're a real audio freak, get the B model for about $200 less than the C model. The Dolby ATMOS audio is not a big deal.

Full disclosure. I'm in charge of the technical production of 60 MINUTES, so working with high quality displays is an integral part of my job, and OLED are indeed the technology of choice, and I have some experience in this issue.

Posted on: 12/27 10:53
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
hero is a very sad (as in pathetic) person. it is 2018 almost and i am still using a led hd tv. i keep wanting to go 4K but should i wait for new models in 2018? any insights into new tv's at ces? are roku tv's worth it? what 4k with 43" or 50" screens.
Quote:

ThirdStreet wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I was out at Best Buy and Target comparing 4k/UHD TV's to regular LED TVs. I was planning on trying to snag a 4K tv for Black Friday, but after comparing the screen quality, I wonder if I should bother. my current LED TV is fine so i was wondering if 4K is just marketing.

any CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts would be appreciated

You will also need to take into consideration the size of the TV you are being. I don't think it makes sense to even consider 4K for TV's less than 55 inches.

I can't comment on 4k, but Roku - Smart TV's are pretty amazing! Any TV with HDMI ports can use a Roku or other dongle.

Posted on: 12/27 10:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
hero is a very sad (as in pathetic) person. it is 2018 almost and i am still using a led hd tv. i keep wanting to go 4K but should i wait for new models in 2018? any insights into new tv's at ces? are roku tv's worth it? what 4k with 43" or 50" screens.
Quote:

ThirdStreet wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I was out at Best Buy and Target comparing 4k/UHD TV's to regular LED TVs. I was planning on trying to snag a 4K tv for Black Friday, but after comparing the screen quality, I wonder if I should bother. my current LED TV is fine so i was wondering if 4K is just marketing.

You will also need to take into consideration the size of the TV you are being. I don't think it makes sense to even consider 4K for TV's less than 55 inches.

Posted on: 12/27 10:10
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/12 10:36
Print Top

Black Friday/Single's Day
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
anybody see any incredible bargains for black friday? uniqlo and h&m seem to have some good online deals

Posted on: 2015/11/12 6:39
Print Top

Re: Black Friday 2015
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i'm looking for a pair of awesome headphones with HIGH volume for my workouts and with a chord that will not damage after a few months of usage. any tips?

Go bluetooth and say goodbye to cords. I've been using an inexpensive bluetooth "on ear" pair that work very well. They're just too much to wear all day. I listen to podcasts & NPR so fidelity is a non-issue. I'm looking for ultralightweight ones that aren't buds of some kind. Like a bluetooth version of the old school light cheapo wired ones like you can't find easily anymore.

the problem for me with bluetooth headsets is cosnatnt need to re-charge and the inability to get fm radio since the headphones function as an antenna on wired headphones

Good points. The battery life on mine is very good, at least 8 hrs, and I'm streaming from the PC when I'm using them. I wonder how long a cord you would need plugged in to your phone just to be an FM antenna? I never paid much attention to that stuff in physics.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 20:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i'm looking for a pair of awesome headphones with HIGH volume for my workouts and with a chord that will not damage after a few months of usage. any tips?

Go bluetooth and say goodbye to cords. I've been using an inexpensive bluetooth "on ear" pair that work very well. They're just too much to wear all day. I listen to podcasts & NPR so fidelity is a non-issue. I'm looking for ultralightweight ones that aren't buds of some kind. Like a bluetooth version of the old school light cheapo wired ones like you can't find easily anymore.

the problem for me with bluetooth headsets is cosnatnt need to re-charge and the inability to get fm radio since the headphones function as an antenna on wired headphones

Posted on: 2015/10/27 19:49
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/27 19:10
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
For tech deals I generally watch http://www.techbargains.com/. You can sign up for their daily email.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 18:04
Print Top

Black Friday 2015
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
thanks all. i will just stick with my current led. now, off to finding something else to buy on the cheap for black friday. anyone hear any good rumors. i'm looking for a pair of awesome headphones with HIGH volume for my workouts and with a chord that will not damage after a few months of usage. any tips?

btw, i read that dell is offering a convertible laptop/tablet for $149.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 16:31
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
4K UHD vs 1080P Full HD you mean? You can see a difference in sharpness and contrast if you do side by side viewing of the same feed. If you pay attention to the edges of someone's face, for example, you can see a sharper picture with UHD. Not sure if the difference is worth the money; that is entirely up to you. Personally, my vision isn't all that great so I wouldn't appreciate it as much but I can definitely see a difference. Having said that about the technical/visual merits, unless you actually subscribe to services that actually broadcast 4K (Netflix for example) then you are not taking full advantage of your TV. I think these 4K TV may do some upscaling of HD broadcasts to get an even better picture but I can't comment on the quality.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 15:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
If the screen is large and you are sitting close then you will be able to tell the resolution difference. Some people say the upconverter works well. Another reason to get these TV's is to watch your own 4k content in 4k.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 15:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

There isn't much content available in 4K/UHD, you might find some on Netflix, manufacturers haven't agreed on one format either. Pick up the Nov issue of Consumer Reports they discuss the issues between the formats, LED vs 4K/UHD.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 15:44
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

I can barely tell the difference between 720 & 1080, since when I slouch on the sofa I'm looking through the bottom of my progressive lens glasses. More to the point, what media would you be watching that even comes 4k? Not OTA or cable. I think this is just another hype like 3D to keep selling big TV's after the market got saturated.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 15:40
Print Top

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017