Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hoboken has plan to rehabilitate old leather factory
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
With the new coffee shop coming onboard soon, and the restaurant further down towards Berry Lane Park opening at some point (taking the sting out of the noBar shit storm closing) there seems to be some traction in the area. But you had to go all downtown yuppie on us! :)

They also had the new fruit/vegetable offerings down the street. Like I said, indeed a great neighborhood and full of potential. I miss being there and sometimes think I may end up back there in the future. Time will tell.

Don't get me started on the "Cursed Corner"!! I have seen 5 places come and go. A true shame. Of all the places that have been there, I think MAE was best, but NuBar was also good.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I have friends in the Foundry, and the problem with that building is the utilities which are insane. My friends are paying $800 a month to heat and cool the place. Who ever developed it did not do a great job. It just seems very thrown together with not allot of appeal. Dixon Mills is half ass, but not as bad as The Foundry.

That's crazy, we've never seen a bill over $275 and that was during a heat wave.

Indeed, it IS crazy, but not unheard of. I had some friends living in one of the second floor units along the back, and those are poorly designed with not enough A/C vents, so cooling the place (which have a mezzanine units) requires a lot of energy. Same for heat. This couple I knew well were flabbergasted when they got a $750 bill during their first winter! They raised hell with management and their unit was modified to add all sorts of tubing to have additional vents throughout the place. Their next bill was less than half. I wonder how other units along the same row have coped with the bills, or if they even know they can have their units similarly altered to address what is an obvious design problem.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
To echo what 7thstreeter said, I'd like to encourage you all to come out to open studio day on November 8th and check out artists in their natural habitat for what may be the last time in this spot.

It really is an incredible place and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff people are working on in there. I consider myself fortunate to have been able to take up residence there for the past year or so. I'm bitterly disappointed I won't have more time, but I'm grateful for the time I did have.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I love the Neumann building - reminds me of the kinds of spaces you used to find in Williamsburg and Dumbo a decade ago. I know a tailor in the building and he's next door to a musician and down the hall from a photographer and a jewelry designer. It's a really diverse group of makers who are running businesses out of there. There's a lot of creative energy and that's something that keeps a neighborhood interesting. Hoboken hasn't completely sold its soul if it keeps Neumann going. What they have in mind might clean it up too much though. I appreciate the gritty, maze-like atmosphere of the place.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I have friends in the Foundry, and the problem with that building is the utilities which are insane. My friends are paying $800 a month to heat and cool the place. Who ever developed it did not do a great job. It just seems very thrown together with not allot of appeal. Dixon Mills is half ass, but not as bad as The Foundry.

That's crazy, we've never seen a bill over $275 and that was during a heat wave.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/21 12:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
With the new coffee shop coming onboard soon, and the restaurant further down towards Berry Lane Park opening at some point (taking the sting out of the noBar shit storm closing) there seems to be some traction in the area. But you had to go all downtown yuppie on us! :)

Posted on: 2015/10/21 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Well, the condos a few blocks away in the old church school are sold out before completion, there are market rate rentals in the new building on Suydam coming soon, and there are two new developments on Pacific just off Communipaw-so the tide may have turned in BeLa.

I think the Suydam development will be a very important indicator to watch. I love the neighborhood. Made lots of friends and acquaintances (both in the The Foundry and the general vicinity) but I was always surprised/frustrated/disappointed that the area couldn't get going, despite the undeniable influx of relatively well off newcomers.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, the condos a few blocks away in the old church school are sold out before completion, there are market rate rentals in the new building on Suydam coming soon, and there are two new developments on Pacific just off Communipaw-so the tide may have turned in BeLa.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 11:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Now if JC could do the same with all its old vacant factories in Lafayatte and Greenville. These building are absolutely gorgeous

Location, location, location....

EXACTLY. The Foundry (which is RIGHT NEXT to the LSP Park and Ride) serves as a cautionary tale for many developers. It opened in 2005, and 10 years later it is mired in issues. Initially intended to be 100% condos, it had to switch to rentals once the economy tanked. The neighborhood never gentrified fully, and what little gentrification was taking place got stunted by the sudden downturn in the economy. Several foreclosures have happened among the few condo units. The units in the building had almost doubled in value a few years after coming onto the market. Now, they are MAYBE ten percent higher than original value. MAYBE. And, this is in a building that is GREAT, with good construction (really good quality floors, good appliances, very high ceilings at 14' and higher, solid walls (mostly concrete and brick inside the walls) and good layouts and right next to a light rail station. If the Foundry has had that many issues in the Lafayette neighborhood, I dont see how another building would do much better.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 4:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/11 20:47
Group:
Registered Users
Good luck to em.
JC had 111 first street and they fucked that up.
Been in the hay lofts of leatherman building. Very cool place as was 111.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Now if JC could do the same with all its old vacant factories in Lafayatte and Greenville. These building are absolutely gorgeous

Exactly! the one next to the Liberty State Park Light rail and the Garfield is perfect for development. Right next to the rail.

Sorry, that's not the same as prime S Hoboken a few blocks from the PATH. Divvying up for artist space is one thing, doing what they're proposing for Neumann is way more expensive.

Those places WOULD make great creative spaces, but FWIW, whenever I've tried to get colleagues to move their workshops here, they say the problem is all their employees live in Brooklyn and Queens. It's a chicken and egg thing.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
You'll never take me alive.

Sincerely,

Neumann Tenant

Posted on: 2015/10/20 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Exactly! the one next to the Liberty State Park Light rail and the Garfield is perfect for development. Right next to the rail.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/20 21:04

Hoboken has plan to rehabilitate old leather factory
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Laura Herzog | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The old Neumann Leathers factory will be preserved and rehabilitated, creating a mix-used site that includes residential and retail components and new public space, according to Hoboken's new draft plan for the historic site released Monday.

"Just a few years ago, this historic property faced the threat of demolition and the artist community within it lived in fear of an uncertain future," said Mayor Dawn Zimmer in a statement.

"This plan would restore an important part of our industrial past," she said, as well as "create a vibrant mixed-use block with street level retail and plazas" full of artists and musicians.

More

Posted on: 2015/10/20 20:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017