Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: NJ school nixes Halloween celebrations, cites diversity
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
They get pretty wound up over stuff like this.

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums ... 666-When-is-20-80-?page=1

Guess the residents on that forum aren't "progressive" enough. They need to realize this is one of the vast benefits of diversity. But the principal gets it.

Nah, the vast majority of schools there are open to celebrating Halloween. One school is the outlier.

Those schools are the outlier, as they are not "progressive" enough. San Francisco is setting the model example of how important diversity is in the school context.

Recently, a middle school in San Francisco had their student council elections. But the Principal refused to announce the results, claiming that the winners were not diverse enough. She understands the overwhelming importance of diversity, like all good "progressives" do.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/33724074-story

There was a later news story that said the principal finally relented and released the results. Boy, I've seen a lot of ridiculous decisions in the schools but the San Francisco middle school decision takes the cake and totally dwarfs the Maplewood school's Halloween-related decision. I know it's not easy running a middle school, but how about some common sense! What does the election process mean to anyone if the results of it aren't respected? Plus, it's the friggin' student council, they don't "represent" anyone, they just plan the dances and bake sales. Who cares about the ethnic makeup of them, as long as they all won fair and square? So stupid.

As "progressives" continue their gradual shift from ensuring equality of opportunity to equality of outcomes, expect to see more of this.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Guess the residents on that forum aren't "progressive" enough. They need to realize this is one of the vast benefits of diversity. But the principal gets it.

Nah, the vast majority of schools there are open to celebrating Halloween. One school is the outlier.

Those schools are the outlier, as they are not "progressive" enough. San Francisco is setting the model example of how important diversity is in the school context.

Recently, a middle school in San Francisco had their student council elections. But the Principal refused to announce the results, claiming that the winners were not diverse enough. She understands the overwhelming importance of diversity, like all good "progressives" do.

There was a later news story that said the principal finally relented and released the results. Boy, I've seen a lot of ridiculous decisions in the schools but the San Francisco middle school decision takes the cake and totally dwarfs the Maplewood school's Halloween-related decision. I know it's not easy running a middle school, but how about some common sense! What does the election process mean to anyone if the results of it aren't respected? Plus, it's the friggin' student council, they don't "represent" anyone, they just plan the dances and bake sales. Who cares about the ethnic makeup of them, as long as they all won fair and square? So stupid.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/21 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/21 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/21 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
There is nothing wrong with children especially Pre-k to 3rd enjoying Halloween. Political correctness is ridiculous. I taught in a Catholic school, we had the older student read ghost stories to the younger children. Later, we took the children outside in their costumes. It was a special day for the younger students and the older students enjoyed their participation.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/21 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:

I try not to use this tone, but this has gone too far. You came here. We celebrate Halloween. If you have a problem with it, take your child out for the day or adjust.

They don't have to, it was nixed.

Actually, it was nixed at one single school in the district.

What if the children still show up in costume? I can see a situation where parents dress their kids up in a form of protest.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:

I try not to use this tone, but this has gone too far. You came here. We celebrate Halloween. If you have a problem with it, take your child out for the day or adjust.

Actually, it was nixed at one single school in the district.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/21 12:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I doubt the 30 to 60 minutes of the day during elementary school is dragging down PARCC scores.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
too many festivals at schools Just saying.

Zerski yes pictures can be deceiving and so can costumes.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 19:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Damn user1111, from the looks of your pic of the hot woman's belly, it doesn't seem like your uptight....I guess pictures can be deceiving!

Posted on: 2015/10/20 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
Wow. War on Halloween.
What about welcome to America, here is a fun day we celebrate, try it and have some fun.

Thanksgiving will be next, as it's not PC and some people don't have as much to be thankful for. And get rid of Columbus day, duh. And 4th of July is way too patriotic.

Your ignorance is showing no one wants to get rid of Halloween. I personally will be in the West Village celebrating it. Just rid of it out of the public school system is all. A few schools in PA got rid of it and the sky hasn't fallen.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 19:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. War on Halloween.
What about welcome to America, here is a fun day we celebrate, try it and have some fun.

Thanksgiving will be next, as it's not PC and some people don't have as much to be thankful for. And get rid of Columbus day, duh. And 4th of July is way too patriotic.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
I remember celebrating holidays in school when I was little and I thought those were the best days. The school day is long and can be tedious. I do think festivities help break up the monotony and can teach kids how to share and how to come together and make memories.

Personally, I am a nervous wreck every Halloween because my kid is deathly allergic to nuts. And even though everyone in his school is aware and people are told not to bring nuts they still do. So, my son knows not to eat anything until he gets home and we have checked it. This is how I deal with it. I'm not about to call off the festivities for all of the kids because of the issues we have. I just remind him the morning of to not eat anything and make sure he has his epi-pen.

But that's me. I don't expect the world to revolve around me and my child.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I'm a realist and I don't apologize for it. I am all about fun, but not on school grounds. Have it in your local community center.

But your tax dollars paid for those community centers too.

That said this is grade school, having these parties teaches important lessons in how to socialize and communicate. I spend 80% of my time managing my relationships with clients and vendors.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
People have to realize school is a business. Do you all wear witch costumes to your place of employment?

I don't but our office has a Halloween party every year and yes, there were some witch costumes. And no, this isn't some kooky internet startup or three-person business I work at. It is a large, publicly traded company. I doubt the shareholders take issue with something that takes about an hour and the cost of refreshments is maybe $100 if that. Regardless, there has been at least one witch costume every year.

I am sure our tax dollars are not flipping the bill for your festivities unless you are one of the scum banks we bailed out. Schools are being funded by public monies and I am against any sort of celebration that has nothing to do with education especially since I don't have kids in the public school system. I am all for Halloween, we have a great celebration in my area for it, but it does not belong in school no matter how butt hurt you are.

Nope, I don't work for a "scum bank" that was "bailed out". Most of that money was repaid by the banks, but that's another story. I guess you object to Halloween because of the idea of a non-academic activity being held during school hours, not for it being of an ethnic or religious nature and people feeling "left out", whatever the hell that means. Well then, the school could have said the same thing - they didn't want something that would take away from regular academics. I might be inclined to agree. There probably would have been far less controversy if it was explained that way, it might not have even been a news story. But some principal had to look all high and mighty with their holier-than-thou mentality and "commitment to diversity" whatever that means here.

By your logic, perhaps schools shouldn't have sports, music or clubs. In some schools, some of that does occur during school hours and nearly all of it uses school facilities, paid for by our tax dollars. Shall we end all athletic, club and music-related activities too? Maybe there shouldn't be school dances either (in my school you had to pay to go, but I'm pretty sure they were partly subsidized with school funds - not really sure though).

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Said the person who has no kids...

And proud of it. When I was in school and you came in with a costume you were sent home. It was considered a distraction. but these helicopter mommies think their kids are special smh. Carry on.

In Soviet Russia, Halloween costume wears you!

Yes, if the school was not sanctioning Halloween events and someone came in dressed up they should be sent home. That's not what we're talking about and you know it.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Since you do not have kids in public schools than you have no idea how this works. Most if not ALL of the events in schools are funded by the PTA which are fund raisers ... parents donate treats, time and money to the schools. Trust me, we are asked weekly for something new but it is for the kids and they enjoy it, it is not for adult pleasure...

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

And proud of it. When I was in school and you came in with a costume you were sent home. It was considered a distraction. but these helicopter mommies think their kids are special smh. Carry on.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Also most Americans heads are so far up theirs a$$es that when cultural holidays (Muslims a great example) are being taught they freak out... When the schools here wanted to close for the Muslim holiday people went ballistic.. Based on how the current public school system presents American history, I would not want them to teach anything about any faith including my own

To be fair, most reasonable people went ballistic because they were going to force people to find a full day's worth of childcare with 3 days notice, not an easy feat for many who rely on school plus school aftercare. Yeah, the issue brought out the usual idiot xenophobes, but they were a vocal minority.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

gt2220 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I am sure our tax dollars are not flipping the bill for your festivities unless you are one of the scum banks we bailed out. Schools are being funded by public monies and I am against any sort of celebration that has nothing to do with education especially since I don't have kids in the public school system. I am all for Halloween, we have a great celebration in my area for it, but it does not belong in school no matter how butt hurt you are.

Actually, much of the money for these extra-curricular activities comes from PTA-driven fund-raising, not tax-payer money. Rest assured no one's having fun on your dime.

Then those PTA Mommies need to organize festivities outside of school. My money pays for the buildings these events are being held.

Wow, you sound like a barrel of fun. You're right...you should probably use that money for something else... like therapy for not being invited to the school dance...

I'm a realist and I don't apologize for it. I am all about fun, but not on school grounds. Have it in your local community center.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

gt2220 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Actually, much of the money for these extra-curricular activities comes from PTA-driven fund-raising, not tax-payer money. Rest assured no one's having fun on your dime.

Then those PTA Mommies need to organize festivities outside of school. My money pays for the buildings these events are being held.

Wow, you sound like a barrel of fun. You're right...you should probably use that money for something else... like therapy for not being invited to the school dance...

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
People have to realize school is a business. Do you all wear witch costumes to your place of employment?

I don't but our office has a Halloween party every year and yes, there were some witch costumes. And no, this isn't some kooky internet startup or three-person business I work at. It is a large, publicly traded company. I doubt the shareholders take issue with something that takes about an hour and the cost of refreshments is maybe $100 if that. Regardless, there has been at least one witch costume every year.

Are you against celebrating birthdays?

Nope I celebrate mines, friends and family every year, but not in schools. I am not against celebrating holidays. I am against parties and parades that have nothing to do with the school curriculum. FYI there are thousands of peeps who don't celebrate Halloween. One of my neighbors from the Ukraine has a sign on her door that reads "No candy here, we do not celebrate Halloween."

Learning about cultural holidays can be considered part of a curriculum.

I agree, but learning and wearing cheap costumes and giving out candy is not part of what I want my kids doing if I had kids. Also most Americans heads are so far up theirs a$$es that when cultural holidays (Muslims a great example) are being taught they freak out... When the schools here wanted to close for the Muslim holiday people went ballistic.. Based on how the current public school system presents American history, I would not want them to teach anything about any faith including my own

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 15:08
From JCNJ
Group:
Registered Users
I'd take offense to the principal's letter: "We are grateful for our engaged family community and hope that we can continue to foster an environment in which ALL families can participate."

1. "our" family? you can have yours and I'll keep mine.
2. No need to emphasize "all" in caps. Assume parents understand what you're writing.
3. you are not fostering an environment in which [all] families can participate if there's nothing to participate in.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

gt2220 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
All Hallows Even, like so many holidays here in the US - rooted in religious traditions or not - have been dumbed-down and ruined by consumer culture. Modern Halloween for kids has become another excuse to throw away money on cheap, imported plastic costumes and candy kids don't need.

If it were ever celebrated as a real holiday - and before people start lamenting Christmas, keep in mind the juggernaut of consumerist excess is already slouching towards us - I would argue against nixing it. But it's probably best for the kids to do away with all these contrived "holidays".

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Are you against celebrating birthdays?

Nope I celebrate mines, friends and family every year, but not in schools. I am not against celebrating holidays. I am against parties and parades that have nothing to do with the school curriculum. FYI there are thousands of peeps who don't celebrate Halloween. One of my neighbors from the Ukraine has a sign on her door that reads "No candy here, we do not celebrate Halloween."

Learning about cultural holidays can be considered part of a curriculum.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gt2220 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:05

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017