Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Should tipping be eliminated at eateries?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

peternem wrote:
As a Brit, I'd rather it was as it is back home. In the UK I'd tip 10-15% for average to above average service. 15-20% for exceptional service.

If the service was below par I'd leave nothing (or $0.01 just to make a point that my near non-existent tip wasn't an oversight, but by design), and I'd not expect any grief or feel any guilt in doing so.

i'm all for paying my fair share for service, and not a penny more! easier to inlude the 15% or 20% service charge in the bill and be done with it!

Posted on: 2016/1/25 22:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/25 21:42
From Brooklyn
Group:
Registered Users
Be serious, people. When you get delivery, you give a tip if it is at all within you timeframe, or you are a cheapskate. You want someone to bring something right to your door and expect to pay the same price you'd pay if you sat down at a table in the resto minus the tip? You've got to be kidding. You don't want to compensate that guy for driving a motorbike 5 blocks with a pack full of food, ringing your bell, waiting for you?

Dude, those guys live on tips and make only a couple bucks an hour in salary, just like the waiters/servers, but even less.

It's amazing to me, this thread, the people who have obviously never worked in these types of jobs, but even so, it's common knowledge -- they are paid much less than minimum wage assuming their wage will come primarily from tips. I do believe with all the information out there about that that anyone acting otherwise is just trying to get by and save the couple dollar it would take to make someone else's day.

Good luck cheapskate. Please don't pretend you don't know that guy is only making a couple bucks an hour and that you don't give shit.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 21:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/10 0:43
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
As a Brit, I'd rather it was as it is back home. In the UK I'd tip 10-15% for average to above average service. 15-20% for exceptional service.

If the service was below par I'd leave nothing (or $0.01 just to make a point that my near non-existent tip wasn't an oversight, but by design), and I'd not expect any grief or feel any guilt in doing so.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 2:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/12 3:03
Group:
Registered Users
And just what does this topic have to do with JC per se?!?!?!?!

Posted on: 2015/11/12 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I remember when many fast foods started. They hired teenagers and retired folks looking for extra money. Now jobs are overseas plus illegal immigration have had an impact on the job market. Adults are working at fast food. I do think people who work in other fields such as home workers for disable should be paid more money. That is difficult work.
Flipping hamburgers is not a skill but being a welder is. Welders make around $17.00 per hour. Perhaps, more fast food workers should be trained in real fields that pay that higher wages. Of course there will be an impact when you double the minimum wage.

I've been a member of this board for a couple years now and have, up until this point, avoided engaging with you. But with this one, are you fucking kidding me? There was a time when you were allowed to be an educator?

Posted on: 2015/11/11 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I remember when many fast foods started. They hired teenagers and retired folks looking for extra money. Now jobs are overseas plus illegal immigration have had an impact on the job market. Adults are working at fast food. I do think people who work in other fields such as home workers for disable should be paid more money. That is difficult work.
Flipping hamburgers is not a skill but being a welder is. Welders make around $17.00 per hour. Perhaps, more fast food workers should be trained in real fields that pay that higher wages. Of course there will be an impact when you double the minimum wage.

Wait, you think that fast food work has been shipped overseas or taken over by illegals...?

You've been listening to far too much Trump lately...

Posted on: 2015/11/11 21:59
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/11 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
i hate tipping, not because i am cheap, but because it's just so damn annoying.

I have no problem if they just included a flat 18% service fee to every receipt and call it a day. I mean the original idea of tipping is for good service but in the US it's as mandatory as your bill.

So what's the point, just include it in the bill and save everyone the headache.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

My statement made no reference to who they lobby. I pointed out the fact that unions are not a political entity.

And this type of laughable thinking is why you sit at the kiddie table.

I'm quoting this for posterity.

Keep going with the ad hominem in the face of facts. It shows how much you know...

Posted on: 2015/11/11 21:19
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

My statement made no reference to who they lobby. I pointed out the fact that unions are not a political entity.

And this type of laughable thinking is why you sit at the kiddie table.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Lol at thinking labor unions do not predominantly pressure liberal politicians to carry out a self interested liberal agenda. While there may be some members who are conservative, unions do not advocate for conservative policies.

My statement made no reference to who they lobby. I pointed out the fact that unions are not a political entity. They are groups formed in order to advocate on behalf of its members. Not all unions are the same. Not all unions fight for the same causes. Not all unions support and lobby Democrats.

Unions are no different than you walking into your bosses office to ask for a raise or better benefits. Only difference being that you'd get laughed at...

Posted on: 2015/11/11 20:34
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Lol at thinking labor unions do not predominantly pressure liberal politicians to carry out a self interested liberal agenda. While there may be some members who are conservative, unions do not advocate for conservative policies.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I once visited a Joe's Crab Shack... never again. That food was subpar and so poorly cooked/prepared that it was a soggy mess of oil-soaked fried seafood. I wonder how the employees will feel about these changes in a year or two.

As a point of reference of unintended consequences of "well meaning" policies, people should read about the impact of the higher minimum wage law passed in SF. Ironically, the same people advocating for these higher minimum wages are the ones exhorting consumers to support "local" and "small business"... Well, guess who is often most affected by these higher wage minimums?

I don't see how it is counter to argue for an increase in worker pay and be in favor of local businesses...

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Peter Genovese | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Joe's Crab Shack is the first national restaurant chain to implement a no-tipping policy, according to Fox News.

The Houston-based chain of 113 seafood restaurants began testing the policy in a dozen stores in recent months. Wages will be raised and begin at $14 an hour.

More

I once visited a Joe's Crab Shack... never again. That food was subpar and so poorly cooked/prepared that it was a soggy mess of oil-soaked fried seafood. I wonder how the employees will feel about these changes in a year or two.

As a point of reference of unintended consequences of "well meaning" policies, people should read about the impact of the higher minimum wage law passed in SF. Ironically, the same people advocating for these higher minimum wages are the ones exhorting consumers to support "local" and "small business"... Well, guess who is often most affected by these higher wage minimums?

Even more ironically, in LA, a major union that pushed a $15 an hour minimum wage also sought to have itself exempt from the new law, so only union workers can receive less than everyone else.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/30/la-uni ... from-15-minimum-wage.html

Limousine liberals at their finest.

I don?t think you realize that unions are not liberals. There are liberals that are union members, but the reverse isn?t true. I also think you don?t understand that not all unions are the same. The unions fighting for a wage increase may not be the same as those arguing for a clause.

I know that this sort of information pops your need to rant about liberals in every post you make, but I just thought you should realize that broad sweeping generalizations demonstrate a certain type of thought process?

Posted on: 2015/11/11 20:16
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Joe's Crab Shack is the first national restaurant chain to implement a no-tipping policy, according to Fox News.

The Houston-based chain of 113 seafood restaurants began testing the policy in a dozen stores in recent months. Wages will be raised and begin at $14 an hour.

More

Even more ironically, in LA, a major union that pushed a $15 an hour minimum wage also sought to have itself exempt from the new law, so only union workers can receive less than everyone else.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/30/la-uni ... from-15-minimum-wage.html

Limousine liberals at their finest.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

More

Posted on: 2015/11/11 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

More

Posted on: 2015/11/11 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
No one should pat themselves on the back for tipping even if there is a delivery fee- that fee has nothing to do with the driver. You're supposed to be tipping them anyways.

No, F that! I include the delivery fee in the rest of the tip on Seamless. Im going to need someone who ones a restaurant to explain this to me. Why would that fee go to anyone BUT the driver. Most places raise the price of each item and then they add a fee. It only take one or the other to pay for the Seamless fees. I also would like to point out that without Seamless, most of these shitty take out places would fold. A Delivery fee is not a Service fee.

You can be as outraged as you want at the concept of a delivery surcharge not going directly to the driver but that doesn't change the fact that it's still not a tip.

I just feel that is should not be a "delivery charge" if it is not going to the driver. I am ok with a "Service charge" I suppose but then I expect the prices to be the same on the individual food items.
That delivery charge might be being used to pay the delivery driver's wage. Or pay the fee that Seamless charges. Or any number of other things. The simple fact is that by moaning about it and not tipping, your are stiffing a delivery driver who is busting their ass to bring food to your house because you're stingy.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
No one should pat themselves on the back for tipping even if there is a delivery fee- that fee has nothing to do with the driver. You're supposed to be tipping them anyways.

No, F that! I include the delivery fee in the rest of the tip on Seamless. Im going to need someone who ones a restaurant to explain this to me. Why would that fee go to anyone BUT the driver. Most places raise the price of each item and then they add a fee. It only take one or the other to pay for the Seamless fees. I also would like to point out that without Seamless, most of these shitty take out places would fold. A Delivery fee is not a Service fee.

You can be as outraged as you want at the concept of a delivery surcharge not going directly to the driver but that doesn't change the fact that it's still not a tip.

I just feel that is should not be a "delivery charge" if it is not going to the driver. I am ok with a "Service charge" I suppose but then I expect the prices to be the same on the individual food items.

Sorry, it's not up to what you feel. It's up to what the restaurant owner decides. If you don't like it, don't order.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 17:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/21 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Give some wanker money for taking my food from the cook to mah table ?

Kiss mah azz or get a real job.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/21 3:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/23 7:20
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I used to work for a pizza chain and we were told to tell customers that the delivery fee we charge goes towards gas and insurance. Some places break out the delivery fee and others pad it into the cost of the food so that everyone pays towards those costs regardless if they picking up or having delivered.

At the place I worked we reported our vehicles mileage at the start and end of our shift. We were given gas money each night based on how many miles we drove.
Apparently, part of the delivery fee we charged went to that.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I can take a guess. We don't charge a delivery fee, opting instead for a minimum depending on where you live. A lot of restaurants around here use a delivery service, rather than hiring a delivery person themselves. That delivery service charges a fee for every delivery that goes out the door. Alternatively, they might do enough deliveries where it makes sense to have someone on hand, but not enough where that person is active enough to pay for their base wage, so a delivery fee could help pay their wage a bit.

edit: also if you're ordering through seamless, delivery.com, or anything like that, they are taking a cut of the sale, so a delivery fee could help offset that as well. I make sure to always call the restaurant directly when ordering food so they don't get hit with those fees, which are in addition to the CC fees they have on top of that.

Posted on: 2015/10/19 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

I'm courious as to where this fee goes then. Do you know?

Posted on: 2015/10/19 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Try one of these techniques if you want better service in restaurants:

1. Become very famous;

2. Spend $1,000 or more on wine every time you go out;

3. Keep going to the same restaurant until you get V.I.P. treatment; if that doesn?t work, pick another place.

Now, here is a technique that is guaranteed to have no effect on your service: leave a generous tip.

More

Posted on: 2015/10/19 11:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I don't have super strong feelings about this at sit-down restaurants (although it would be nice to not have to think about/calculate tips), but it's takeout joints and other regular stores that drive me nuts with having a tip line on the credit card slip. Like, I feel like a dick if I put $0.00, but I don't feel that you deserve a tip for just handing me something. LOL. Like a liquor store for example. Thirsty Quaker is a culprit. I buy a couple six packs, then I when I sign the credit card slip there is a line for tip. Come on. It's awkward. Enough is enough with forced tipping.
hey man, don't feel bad if you don't tip on the receipt. We include it on there so that when we do deliveries it prints the tip line, and we haven't figured out a way to disable it for in-store receipts. I make a point to explain to most people that it's just for deliveries and they can just sign the bottom.

However, I know that some people do appreciate it when we help pick things out, or help with homebrew questions and recipes so they tip for that. 100% of the tips goes to buying beer for the staff so they can know what we're selling and make good recommendations.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Tipping is cultural. It?s highly insulting in some cultures, i.e., Japan. On the opposite end, in the U.S., it seems it?s expanded to more and more retail stores and services. It?s been in existence, depending on who you want to believe, since Biblical times or the Civil War. [There?s some fascinating stuff out there on its history.]

It is not easy to change societal norms as they are ingrained in the culture. To bring this more down to earth, or to the matter at hand, restaurants are structured to be dependent on tips to pay part of the staff. People are accustomed to tipping waiters and feel empowered by doing so. It?s the system, no matter how irrational it is. Rationally speaking, waiters are no more deserving of tips than anyone else who works in the service industry. However, we are speaking of a cultural practice that has become ingrained over many years. It is not going to change until restaurant owners decide as a group to change it.

A small or little known restaurant has little power in this regard. Customers wouldn?t patronize it because prices would have to rise. However, when you have industry giants like Danny Meyers and others taking the lead, it is possible to see the end of tipping in restaurants. It is unlikely that Meyers will lose customers due to his highly rated and popular restaurants. He is not the first well-known restaurateur to eliminate tips and he will not be the last. It is only then the lesser known restaurateur can also eliminate tips.

A small example of how tipping is ingrained in our cultures? I worked at a touristy hotel restaurant in midtown. Most customers were European and South American. Waiters used to fight not to have foreigners sit in someone else?s section. Even though most Europeans are aware of the American tipping custom, they still choose to tip as if they?re in Europe. Managers would approach guests on occasion when a waiter received a pittance of a tip to ask if there was a problem. Very often the customer would respond by saying that we should change our custom.

It?s ironic. The customer will pay about the same for his spaghetti and meatballs whether there?s tipping or not. The increase in prices due to an increase in wages will keep the final price to the customer about the same.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/18 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
I am not opposed to sit down restaurants getting a set salary, but i'm sure some restaurateur would complain that their employee would abuse it then by calling out on busy days and abuse the sick day system. Right now as it stands the system servers are compensated if they do not at least make minimum wage. Not sure if that is how it should work as if they had at least 3 tables depending on the establishment they could make double or triple the min.

I also NEVER leave a tip when I get takeout. Tips are for service when dining out.

Generally I have absolutely no problem not leaving a tip for takeout, or for other things like the beer store that someone mentioned earlier. In fact, if someone yelled at me for not tipping in a takeout setting (like others have mentioned), I'd laugh at them.

However, if it is a takeout place I frequent, I do give them a buck or two from time to time. They remember you and it seems like a nice thing to do. Otherwise I agree it's obnoxious to even offer the option.

I will say this. I still tip my delivery driver even when a delivery fee is charged.

Like praying or talking to the dead...if that makes you feel good then so be it.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 13:01
Get on your bikes and ride !

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017