Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: PSE&G Jackhammer Nightmare
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:37
Group:
Registered Users
No notice on 6th Street either. Just emergency parking bulletins that went up on Tuesday before they started on Wednesday, which is BS.

Am I naive to think that milling/paving will be done in the Spring when this is all done? They milled and paved about 5 years ago, and the streets were nice for a while...

Posted on: 2015/9/24 18:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/17 5:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

alastor wrote:
get our panties out of a wad
--misogynistic no less--

OMG MICROAGGRESSION!!!!

You misunderstood. We're concerned about the jackhammers on this thread, not the jackasses.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alastor wrote:
get our panties out of a wad
--misogynistic no less--

OMG MICROAGGRESSION!!!!

Posted on: 2015/9/24 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WordsOfaHooker wrote:
Also on 5th. The jackhammers are RIGHT outside my window, and today they started up at 6:50am. I wouldn't mind it if they started at 9am, but seriously, jackhammers before 7am?

Noisy work can begin at 7am. If it begins before 7am, call the police. https://www.municode.com/library/nj/je ... s?nodeId=CH222NO_ARTINORE

Posted on: 2015/9/24 13:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"PSE&G needs to do work. They are upgrades. The noise is loud and the detours are a pain, but we all need to get our panties out of a wad - for safety and improved service these things happen and if it means you can't go down the street you always go down for a day or a week, well - first world problems"

Why is this brand of condescension--misogynistic no less-- necessary? Obviously, we all agree that our utilities are vital, and I think any rational member of the neighborhood understands the need for repairs to maintain that system. However, I do not give any entity--public or private-- carte blanche authority to conduct business without being accountable to the community they serve. If you've been paying attention, then you know that PSE&G has been reprimanded by the city for not conducting this project in a responsible way. Furthermore, the long duration and poor planning for this project has become extremely disruptive. And there has been no accommodation made to lessen that disruption. Finally, Councilwoman Osborne is doing something about this, and I received an e-mail with information about street closings the other day. However, it remains unclear when this project will end.

The Parking Authority's total disregard for the nightmare this has created is totally unacceptable. There are very well-compensated planners/administrators on the payroll to brainstorm solutions for these problems. But the parking authority has demonstrated repeatedly that they could care less about their impact on residents. It's ludicrous that they are not held accountable by the Mayor and the Council. The solution here is very clear--SUSPEND STREET CLEANING IN THE ZONE WHERE PSE&G HAS SHUT DOWN THE STREETS.

If you agree, contact Councilwoman Osborne and let her know that you're fed up.

Candice Osborne, candice@candiceosborne.com

Posted on: 2015/9/24 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I'm on 3rd Street and got no notice when the work was being done on 3rd Street.

I also think it's pretty bad that the city hasn't suspended some of the street sweeping/alternate side parking. With so much street parking being eliminated, there's nowhere to move the car during street sweeping, especially when you throw in a Jewish holiday! I called the parking authority and they told me that city hall is giving out too many permits (not just for the PSE&G work but for construction dumpsters, etc.). Don't know who to call about that but something's gotta give!

Posted on: 2015/9/23 22:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/9 17:07
From The Village, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Also on 5th. The jackhammers are RIGHT outside my window, and today they started up at 6:50am. I wouldn't mind it if they started at 9am, but seriously, jackhammers before 7am?

Posted on: 2015/9/23 20:05
WordsOfaHooker (I didn't get lucky in the last name department)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
you may want to advise PSEG that 5th St. didn't get the brochures. They were goldenrod in color and had all kinds of contact info, dates, times, explanations etc. in them, advising us that work was being done for such-and-such reason, they'd need to enter buildings, etc.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I'm also on 5th and can attest that we got no notice of any work other than the no parking signs Fri. We certainly had no awareness that PSEG would need to enter our homes (one guy walked into my place without knocking). They were going door-door telling people they needed access to certain areas of the home and to leave doors unlocked otherwise they would lose gas for an extended period. I think overall people are reasonable if given a heads up so you can plan accordingly. That's not happening here.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 17:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
I'm on 5th St, we received no notices.

My panties aren't in a wad, but I appreciate the concern. I'm not complaining about noise, obviously that would be unreasonable. My reasonable complaints are the lack of notice before needing the morning in my home, the fact that they've already torn up the street multiple times in the past 3 months, and the crappy patch jobs. Even the parking doesn't bother me, but notices for that should have been up much sooner.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gt2220 wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
This is jobs and improvements to the city.

That's great and all, but another job they could hire out would be for someone to go to each house and give people some semblance of advanced notice before they a)eliminate a street's worth of parking the night before and b)need to drill for two hours inside your home, which in my case kicked me out of home office unexpectedly on a day I couldn't afford to do that. They've opened up my street 3 times in the past 3-4 months, I don't understand the piecemeal approach to all of this.

On top of all that, they're re-patching jackhammered sidewalk with asphalt, which, besides being hacky BS, is all going to come apart the second people start snow-shoveling.

I don't know where you live but on 3rd st we all got info notices telling us what was going on and how long it was expected to last.

The only part of your complaint that I agree with is the patching of sidewalks with asphalt, which I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that it is a temporary patch and they will come around and pave properly at the end of the project (just as they will be repaving the streets then, so prepare yourself for a closed street at that time).

PSE&G needs to do work. They are upgrades. The noise is loud and the detours are a pain, but we all need to get our panties out of a wad - for safety and improved service these things happen and if it means you can't go down the street you always go down for a day or a week, well - first world problems.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 16:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:

That's great and all, but another job they could hire out would be for someone to go to each house and give people some semblance of advanced notice before they a)eliminate a street's worth of parking the night before and b)need to drill for two hours inside your home, which in my case kicked me out of home office unexpectedly on a day I couldn't afford to do that. They've opened up my street 3 times in the past 3-4 months, I don't understand the piecemeal approach to all of this.

On top of all that, they're re-patching jackhammered sidewalk with asphalt, which, besides being hacky BS, is all going to come apart the second people start snow-shoveling.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Did anybody else see the absolutely ADORABLE mini excavator that was parked over night at First and Erie!?

I wanted to take it home with me. "Can we keep it, Ma? Can we!?"

Posted on: 2015/9/19 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/19 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I did some errands around Grove Str area today (the dry cleaner, key food, Prato, then around to VVP). Between PSG&G, the big developers, medium developers, and home owner renovations, I was surprised how many constructions of varying degrees are happening around downtown. It was like a war zone!!!

Posted on: 2015/9/19 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
It's absurd and all over Jersey City.

WTF is going on ?

Posted on: 2015/9/19 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
For two years, there was construction on three sides of my building.

Stop whining.

Posted on: 2015/9/18 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
What location are you referring to? It seems like the entirety of DT is being excavated.

Posted on: 2015/9/18 13:24

PSE&G Jackhammer Nightmare
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When will it end? They have dug up the same street outside my residence at least three different times over the last few months. Parking has been a nightmare. There has been no effective communication with residents. We awake to no parking signs that shut down streets for days at a time. Some of us work from home and cannot tolerate the constant jackhammering. Why have they not suspended street sweeping during this mess? Where are our elected leaders? Where is a schedule? Where-- as always-- is the accountability?

Posted on: 2015/9/18 12:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017