Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New Private School DTJC $16,500 tuition
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Marketers found out that sex sells merchandise a long time ago.

At some point over the last 20 years or so they found out that guilt sells merchandise just as well. Especially when it comes to products / services for children.

"What's that you say? You don't want to needlessly pay through the nose for anything that has to do with your children? Shame on you!!! You negligent parent!!!!"

Posted on: 2015/9/4 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Education has become the new religion. People still believe the more you spent they happier your child will be, these are insecurities from parents. Many people went through public schools and did well. No one talks why parents takes kids out of public schools - it is the v word violence. Yes, some schools have these problems. If the school would suspend students for violence, then you would have a decent system.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Dolomiti, some charter school teachers are in fact unionized. The LCCS teachers have been unionized for about 10 years.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Whats sad to me is that you have these great schools for a handful of affluent, white young families, while the vast majority of poor, emigrant and families of color get substandard educations.

I'm not an expert on the public schools in JC, but my understanding is that there are some excellent schools dotted about. And of course, McNair knocks it out of the park, but is only available to a small portion of students.

Quote:
To Yvonne's point - do we really believe it's just about the money "lost" due to abatements?

Yvonne blasts abatements and Fulop (and a lack of parking) at every opportunity, and blames them for every ill that afflicts JC. She can be safely ignored.

That said, abatements are not the critical issue here. There is a much larger issue about imbalances in public education spending in general, along with positive and negative elements of local control.

There's no consensus on how to fix the public schools. It may also be possible that the single best way to improve the schools is one that drives some people to fits, namely racial integrating schools.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio ... -problem-we-all-live-with

Quote:
IMO, a less rigid approach, driven less by politics and the unions, would help much more than whatever money curtailing the abatements would send to the schools.

I don't think unions are the big problem. Charter schools are not unionized, and don't seem to do much better overall than public schools.

There is also no way to remove politics from public education. It just isn't going to happen. Even a neutral plan like Common Core didn't take long to become politicized. We're stuck with that part.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am curious, where can I go to learn more about the public schools in Jersey City. I have a quickly growing child and my wife and I are trying to figure out our next step, or if it is even feasible to think about staying in JC for even longer.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Fair response, Matt, and great that your kid is happy. And I can confirm that in Millburn/Short Hills plenty of parents pay the exorbitant town taxes (because only 9% of funding comes from the state for the schools) and still send their kids to private schools.

That in spite of the fact that Millburn High was just rated by Newsweek as the second or third best rated traditional high school (not magnet type) in the entire USA.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 19:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
It's funny because the only people who say this are those who don't have school aged kids of their own (and thus, have no real skin in the game), or they can't afford a better school. I'd bet a lot of money you fall into one of these categories.

Once it comes time to put their money where their mouth is, "progressives" who preach about this type of inequality and unfairness are the first ones to ensure their kids do not have to go to schools filled with "poor, emigrant, and families of color." Thus, contributing to the problem. You can see examples discussed throughout this very thread.

Massive hypocrisy much?

This is painting everybody with the same large, ugly brush. Not helpful.

My son goes to our neighborhood public school and we've seen enormous educational growth since he's been there. He also enjoys going every day and is excited to go back next week for 1st grade.

We are certainly the "progressives" referred to, who speak and act on inequality whenever possible.

Nothing wrong with choosing to send your child to a private school but it is wrong for others to assume that district schools are all bad simply because private schools exist in the area. Private schools exist in Montclair, in Millburn, in Livingston, all over affluent, "high-performing" districts in NJ.

It is easy to dump on JC district schools to advance one's own agenda. It is also important to note that our schools are improving dramatically every year under the new superintendent and will continue to do so, regardless of other options available for parents.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to know what Wishful's solution is. It's not a money issue, JC spends their largesse from the state at about 25% more per student than the state average. Plus free PreK. A ton of subsidized meals for the kids so they aren't hungry.

The issue is uninvolved parents. And sending these kids on buses to Livingston won't solve a thing.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

Whats sad to me is that you have these great schools for a handful of affluent, white young families, while the vast majority of poor, emigrant and families of color get substandard educations.

It's funny because the only people who say this are those who don't have school aged kids of their own (and thus, have no real skin in the game), or they can't afford a better school. I'd bet a lot of money you fall into one of these categories.

Once it comes time to put their money where their mouth is, "progressives" who preach about this type of inequality and unfairness are the first ones to ensure their kids do not have to go to schools filled with "poor, emigrant, and families of color." Thus, contributing to the problem. You can see examples discussed throughout this very thread.

Massive hypocrisy much?

Posted on: 2015/9/3 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

They move to the suburbs rather than send their kids to JC elementary school! What they save in tuition can go to paying suburban real estate taxes.

you make it sound as if downtown jc taxes are low, i am on abatement and still paying close to 9k a year for a 1br. 2br will be the same tax as a house in a good school district.

Of course they're low, JC taxpayers pay only 16% of their own school costs. Almost half a billion dollars a year from other NJ taxpayers paying JC school costs. Damn good deal for you, I'd say.

That's not to say that you personally may not be getting screwed, because Fulop has been playing politics with the reval.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I wish them the best. My sister, who is an educator, also believes students are being short-changed and their opportunities for a truly enriching education curtailed by the focus on testing. They sound like they have a good approach.

To Yvonne's point - do we really believe it's just about the money "lost" due to abatements? While $16,500/year is out of most family's reach, it probably represents, relatively speaking, a "shoe-string" budget for a school, compared to neighboring public schools with Abbott Law funding.

IMO, a less rigid approach, driven less by politics and the unions, would help much more than whatever money curtailing the abatements would send to the schools.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

They move to the suburbs rather than send their kids to JC elementary school! What they save in tuition can go to paying suburban real estate taxes.

you make it sound as if downtown jc taxes are low, i am on abatement and still paying close to 9k a year for a 1br. 2br will be the same tax as a house in a good school district.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
It is also a testimony that Fulop should not be giving more tax abatements downtown.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 15:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 22:25
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
The demand for schools like this is a testimony on how pathetic our local public education system is.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
B&R?

Edit: urbandictionary.com to the rescue - Born and Raised!

Assuming you didn't mean the first definition listed

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Nice try, but what happens after 2nd grade?

New schools like this usually start by opening with lower grades, then build enrollment for further grades from their enrolled students. The founder's own children are enrolled, so they will likely grow the class offerings as their children get older. The school needs to build a student base and following first - just like any new business.

To Monroe's point, though, many JC parents who I've spoken with are indeed moving to south Jersey or even back to their home countries because of the school and recreation issues within the city. Once a family has two or more kids in private school in the city, it gets very expensive for many (and these families are high earners already).

I was just at a meeting a few nights ago and was surprised to find out that many Hoboken young families are skipping the suburbs and buying up the Bayonne foreclosures due to the schools being a bit better than here. I am not a fan of private school but good luck to those who are.

I tried the Bayonne strategy a few years ago. The public schools (Horace Mann in particular) are pretty good - but you're still getting a standard public school education and the mix of kids isn't that conducive to a smarter child getting any extra attention. If your child shows any academic promise, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

They have a G&T program at School 14, but the kids are still mixed and despite advertising as a competitive program, it really isn't. The High School is not that great - the arts academy programs have been getting a good boost recently with Guy Craig as head. But there's a very mixed crowd and some of the kids are pretty rough. The drama society is very active and mixes younger kids with high schoolers - a very rigorous program for after school and I highly recommend.

One of the biggest issues to contend with is the ridiculous percentage of people who live in Bayonne who are B&R's - and they have their solid cliques that new mommies are just not invited into. I stopped trying after 6 months and ended up moving after two years. It's a very Mayberry-esque place in a weird sort of way. I think it would drive most Hoboken mothers insane very quickly.

Posted on: 2015/9/2 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
[quote]

To Monroe's point, though, many JC parents who I've spoken with are indeed moving to south Jersey or even back to their home countries because of the school and recreation issues within the city. Once a family has two or more kids in private school in the city, it gets very expensive for many (and these families are high earners already).

I tend to lose my tenants when their kids reach school age. The reason for moving is they don't like the public schools and can't afford a private school.

Posted on: 2015/9/2 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

New schools like this usually start by opening with lower grades, then build enrollment for further grades from their enrolled students. The founder's own children are enrolled, so they will likely grow the class offerings as their children get older. The school needs to build a student base and following first - just like any new business.

I was just at a meeting a few nights ago and was surprised to find out that many Hoboken young families are skipping the suburbs and buying up the Bayonne foreclosures due to the schools being a bit better than here. I am not a fan of private school but good luck to those who are.

Posted on: 2015/9/2 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/2 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Great news - the more private education opportunities the better. Keeping young families in DTJC, or any other JC neighborhood is, I think, vital to the city's renewal. What happens after second grade is what's happening at the French school on 3rd St. - the school keeps adding grades.

Posted on: 2015/9/2 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

I say move now and save your $49.5K.

Posted on: 2015/9/2 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/2 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/2 19:43

New Private School DTJC $16,500 tuition
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Laura Herzog | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Two Jersey City women?both of whom are mothers, friends, and career educators?have started The Embankment School, a new K-2 private school in downtown Jersey City that officially starts Sept. 9.

The founders, Rachel Winell and Jessica Costantine, said their "vision" focuses on "inquiry and experiential learning," "imaginative play and creativity," "social-emotional learning" and science, technology, engineering and math.

Their new school, located at 342 7th Street, sprang from their desire to offer the "progressive education" they wanted for their children, they said. Both Winell's son Rex, a kindergartener, and Costantine's son Julian, a first grader, will attend.

"People who come to us feel that the students are required to do a lot of workbook-like activities and lots of tests... In one way, we're sort of the anti-testing school," Winell said. "We simply are offering a new vibrant local alternative for families in downtown Jersey City."

"With a smaller class led by two veteran teachers, we are able to offer highly individualized, differentiated instruction to each of our students every single day," she said.

More

Posted on: 2015/9/2 17:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017