Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City councilwoman Diane Coleman won't seek re-election | Morgan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

what is done is done, but the way I see it most people ignored reality and believed what they wanted to hear.

I stand by what I said in 2009, and I stand by what I said about ward F, that is the way I saw it.

I saw a good person choose to take on a bad situation and get chewed up. She stepped into a "war" zone. btw, she was appointed, not elected.

I agree with this assessment, though I must admit to a special bias. I've had a long-term interest in getting a skate park built. Diane Coleman took the ball, pitched to her by June Jones, and got a skate park incorporated into the Berry Lane Park, though it hadn't been there in the original plans.

Beyond this, Jersey City politics is combat. Fulop may have beaten the Healey machine, but that doesn't make him pure or perfect. I can imagine Coleman must have spent many an hour not knowing whether she was coming or going.

Posted on: 2015/8/9 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

what is done is done, but the way I see it most people ignored reality and believed what they wanted to hear.

I stand by what I said in 2009, and I stand by what I said about ward F, that is the way I saw it.

I saw a good person choose to take on a bad situation and get chewed up. She stepped into a "war" zone. btw, she was appointed, not elected.

There were other casualties, the current mayor's faction on the council blocked initiatives, some were worthy. One, expansion of Pay to Play Reform would have prevented the play between schools and city (school and city contractors could not contribute to the other's candidates) which then benefited the mayor's campaign and additional wheeling. The school board subsequently passed restrictions, the council still has not.

I have friends that have served as neighborhood leaders that did the same - one who said they knew and liked Michelle Massey, but did not vote for her because she voted for a tax abatement (the mayor had voted for tax abatements) and another who claimed that Ms. Coleman "was already doing the job" so she should be elected. To me, she was a complete unknown at the time with no record.

To most of the people downtown, it seemed to come down to Healy was bad, Fulop was good, and everything attached to them fell along those lines. Voters had a choice and made it.

The mayors politicking is impressive. In the end, one needs to win and he and Ms. Coleman did.

If you do not like how things have turned out, do something differently.

Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
[quote]
DanL wrote:
does calling her names, make you feel better? how quickly one forgets - http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=298052

its seems like people got the government they deserve.

[quote]

Yes Dan, how quickly you forget. So I'll quote YOU from the Jersey Journal, May 6, 2009:

"But what his experiences and those of other groups have taught him, Levin said, is that local politicians resent involved citizens.

"The biggest obstacle is our own city government," Levin said. "The leaders we elect to represent us are not looking out for the general public's interest."

"Bread" echoed my thoughts exactly. We've had no meaningful representation with either Massey or Coleman, and their aids were basically hostile. The only time either of them showed up or lifted a finger was when there was a Photo-Op standing next to the mayor. In my opinion, they both got elected because they were running on the mayor's ticket AND because they were the (seemingly) "least bad" of a pathetic slate of candidates.

We don't have the government we deserve. That's the problem...

Posted on: 2015/8/9 11:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, right, the runoff (of sorts). I remember listening to all the candidates speak shortly before the initial election. I think it was in the Auditorium at PS3. Robinson was so nervous and sweating so profusely that he couldn't even put a coherent sentence together.

Coleman was on Steve's ticket, yes? She talked the talk but certainly didn't walk the walk.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I went to the court when Judge Bariso called the 3rd and 4th candidates who ran against Coleman after Jermaine Robinson dropped out of the runoff on Healy's ticket. They declined to be on the ballot. Coleman did not have any challengers in the runoff.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
DanL wrote:
does calling her names, make you feel better? how quickly one forgets - http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=298052

[quote]

Yes Dan, how quickly you forget. So I'll quote YOU from the Jersey Journal, May 6, 2009:

"But what his experiences and those of other groups have taught him, Levin said, is that local politicians resent involved citizens.

"The biggest obstacle is our own city government," Levin said. "The leaders we elect to represent us are not looking out for the general public's interest."

"Bread" echoed my thoughts exactly. We've had no meaningful representation with either Massey or Coleman, and their aids were basically hostile. The only time either of them showed up or lifted a finger was when there was a Photo-Op standing next to the mayor. In my opinion, they both got elected because they were running on the mayor's ticket AND because they were the (seemingly) "least bad" of a pathetic slate of candidates.

We don't have the government we deserve. That's the problem...

Posted on: 2015/8/8 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Bread wrote:
We, the former residents of downtown Ward E, that were turned over to Ward F, have since the day Ms Coleman was elected, we formerly Downtown Ward E residents has been totally without representation. TOTALLY so.

Ms Coleman talked a good game prior to the election, attending all the pre-election meetings and walking the streets and giving the blah, blah, blah and then poof disappeared.

Was she only looking for that other job and as soon as she angled the job she was even more of a poof disappeared.

We, the former residents of downtown Ward E, are extremely pleased that Ms Coleman is not running.

She has been a total waste of a councilperson.

We are the ones who have been frustrated.

Forget Ms Coleman, she is a blimp that will soon be gone, gone, gone.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 17:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/16 20:40
Group:
Registered Users
We, the former residents of downtown Ward E, that were turned over to Ward F, have since the day Ms Coleman was elected, we formerly Downtown Ward E residents has been totally without representation. TOTALLY so.

Ms Coleman talked a good game prior to the election, attending all the pre-election meetings and walking the streets and giving the blah, blah, blah and then poof disappeared.

Was she only looking for that other job and as soon as she angled the job she was even more of a poof disappeared.

We, the former residents of downtown Ward E, are extremely pleased that Ms Coleman is not running.

She has been a total waste of a councilperson.

We are the ones who have been frustrated.

Forget Ms Coleman, she is a blimp that will soon be gone, gone, gone.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I have to say, Boggiano is very good about responding to complaints. He is retired so this is his full time job.

Posted on: 2015/8/7 2:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 19:50
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Diane who?? She started out her term preening, but quickly moved on to complaining and whining that she couldn't get any help. She never responded to requests or messages and she's profoundly stupid. During council meetings she seems truly to not understand what is happening. I won't miss her or the devil we know.

Posted on: 2015/8/7 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The one time I contact her about an issue by email, she accidentally hit Reply to All and included a snarky remark about her constituents. (Maybe an aide did it). I have never contacted her since. If I have an issue, I reach out to Candace or Rolando.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
She's staying on the public dole with another no show job:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... man_lands_county_job.html

Posted on: 2015/8/5 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Here's an question - how would you rank councilor performance?

I'd have Osborne and Lavarro near top, Chico last. Yun and Boggiano would rate reasonably high - just for the fact that they challenge decisions and provoke discussion. The rest including Coleman have been pretty invisible.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I, for one, will sincerely miss her commitment to providing affordable housing as demonstrated by her pro-development votes. I guess the folks heckling her share the same mindset of Yvonne on the affordable housing issue...

Posted on: 2015/8/5 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Didn't cut the mustard I guess.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
A total no show in my opinion. She will not be missed.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
A thin skinned poltician? They do exist!

Posted on: 2015/8/5 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dubenezic wrote:
I guess she figured people would be okay with it. I had no idea she had community meetings. There must be a secret list or something, because I wasn't aware of one of them.

This is what you get when everyone votes democrat. Next we'll have illegal aliens on the council.

Um... what? Illegal aliens?!

I'm not sure if you're aware but Democrats can run against each other.

Coleman, however, absolutely sucks and deserves the derision she's obtained. Her meetings are rare, if non-existent, and they are secret.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 13:25
Dos A Cero

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/30 23:23
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I guess she figured people would be okay with it. I had no idea she had community meetings. There must be a secret list or something, because I wasn't aware of one of them.

This is what you get when everyone votes democrat. Next we'll have illegal aliens on the council.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 12:17

Jersey City councilwoman Diane Coleman won't seek re-election | Morgan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City councilwoman lists some reasons why she won't seek re-election | Morgan

By Earl Morgan | For The Jersey Journal The Star-Ledger
on August 04, 2015 at  7:35 AM, updated August 04, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Last week, Jersey City Ward F Councilwoman Diane Coleman declared she has no intention to run for her seat in the next municipal election. In fact she said she is counting down the days until her term ends.

A frustrated Coleman said she won't seek a second term in office in part because of a contentious attitude encountered from some of her constituents.

"When I try to hold community meetings, some of them show and I get harassed and booed," she said.

Coleman is being blamed -- rightly or wrongly -- for not informing her constituents about the expected opening of a Community Resource Center (CRC), with a mission of assisting newly released prisoners, at Sacred Heart Church priory at Bayview Avenue off Martin Luther King Drive.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... some_reasons_why_she.html

Posted on: 2015/8/5 5:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017