Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bicycle advocacy groups call for crackdown on double parking in Jersey City, beyond
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Could anyone guess why people double park? There are no legal parking spaces left.

Tee hee. HAHAHAHAHA!!! You've really lived here over 30 years? I've frequently seen people double park when there was a spot within 40 feet. Or even double park right in FRONT of a spot! Certain people in JC are inconsiderate and lazy asses who want to be RIGHT IN FRONT of where they are going, no compromises, nor bothering to execute the "difficult maneuver" of parallel parking.

Also, the reason there isn't more metered parking in and around the commercial district for business customers is that the residents would get hysterical at losing their free parking spots. You can't have it both ways, Yvonne.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 15:19

Re: Bicycle advocacy groups call for crackdown on double parking in Jersey City, beyond
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 19:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
The vast majority of the double parking is by lazy jackasses stopping to pick up food at the local pizzerias and other eateries. They would not only double park on the westbound side of Newark, but also on the eastbound...

It would be great if Police could crack down on the lazy jackasses bike riding on Newark Avenue sidewalks, while simultaneously cracking down on double parked cars.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 15:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/13 16:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
As long as there have been cars in Jersey City people have been double parking . It's ingrained into the fabric of the city. Jersey City has always been a city where connected people didn't have rules like double parking tickets and if they got one , somebody could " Fix it " . Local Jersey City people sourced everything in JC , booze , food , numbers , fresh bread , dry cleaning all by jumping out of their double parked cars , quick visit, double park. But times have changed , driving around JC these days is a third world experience and a quality of life issue. More enforcement is needed.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/28 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
The vast majority of the double parking is by lazy jackasses stopping to pick up food at the local pizzerias and other eateries. They would not only double park on the westbound side of Newark, but also on the eastbound, which never had legal parking. Try threading your way through that shit show when two illegally parked cars are close to each other on different sides of the street and cars had to wind their way through the slalom.

I am glad they closed that block to traffic.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
My goodness, the truth must really hurt for you to attack me.

There is a parking deck at Grove Pointe. That is one block from Pedestrian Plaza. That is the truth you seem to forget about when you bitch and moan about lost parking on that strech of Newark

Posted on: 2015/7/26 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
As the original article points out, laws are useless without enforcement. There was talk some time back on community volunteers in JC policing. How about letting volunteers write parking violation tickets - and perhaps giving them a cut on collections.

People can have a ticket issued if they so desire. Unfortunately they have to go to the Muni Court to swear it out. Maybe there should be designated people in areas charged with the task of the issuance.

Or start a program similar to "stop the drop" for young adults...

Posted on: 2015/7/26 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
As the original article points out, laws are useless without enforcement. There was talk some time back on community volunteers in JC policing. How about letting volunteers write parking violation tickets - and perhaps giving them a cut on collections.

People can have a ticket issued if they so desire. Unfortunately they have to go to the Muni Court to swear it out. Maybe there should be designated people in areas charged with the task of the issuance.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Some BikeJC members should set an example & practice what they preach. I know one, personally, that rode up the middle of Pavonia Ave 8am one morning. He was riding beside the bus I was on & I was seated on the driver's side of the bus. When he does drive a car, it looks like a Yugo, he parked illegally to call a person who was across the street to come over & converse with him for a couple of minutes. He zoomed by me doing about 40 mph on a 25 mph street shortly thereafter.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/26 15:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/19 14:48
From Marion
Group:
Registered Users
Ever see emergency vehicles try to get around double parked cars on the way to an emergency? This should take precedence over worrying about bicyclists, not that bicyclists aren't worthy of concern. When illegally parked cars prohibit emergency vehicles from making it to an emergency in a timely fashion, something needs to be done, because an innocent person ultimately pays the price.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
We won't need so many lung doctors with less cars driving around.

And cracking down on bad drivers and parkers doesn't have to wait for a crackdown on bad cyclists. They can, and should both happen. It's a stupid argument to say that we can't get rid of A because B is more annoying to you.

Police need to step up their game. I've seen them shoo people away from double-parking in bike lanes but they never give tickets. Bad parkers are like flies, shooing them away does nothing. You need to squash (ticket/tow) them or they just fly away and come back to the same spot.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
For someone to write "Just shut up" shows you have an aggressive personality. I suggest counseling. But what I said is true, friends are telling me that are going to other businesses outside of downtown because of the parking situation. Next time I will ask for the exact name of the business downtown, so that business will know it has lost a customer.

Your use of single anecdotes to assert your argument of some broader crisis is just pathetic. For every customer a business might allegedly lose due to this parking crisis you have invented, the business has likely gained several more from the influx of new residents moving into all the new apartments being built downtown - residents who want a walkable, dynamic community. Residents who are fit, happy and have money to spend - not some obese, lung-diseased stingy crank who is incapable of walking a few blocks. If the situation were as dire as you claim, why are all these new businesses opening downtown? For businesses downtown, the essential element to their viability is FOOT TRAFFIC, not this idiotic parking scenario you keep pushing.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
My goodness, the truth must really hurt for you to attack me.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
For someone to write "Just shut up" shows you have an aggressive personality. I suggest counseling. But what I said is true, friends are telling me that are going to other businesses outside of downtown because of the parking situation. Next time I will ask for the exact name of the business downtown, so that business will know it has lost a customer.

You just sound like a broken record, complaining about the same 1 block being closed like it is the end of the world. You are in a city so yeah parking may be difficult at times but to claim that there is no parking anywhere is a crock. I've lived here for almost 25 years and I have never had to drive somewhere else because of the lack of parking.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 11:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
how about cyclists obey traffic laws?

Posted on: 2015/7/26 5:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/26 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Could anyone guess why people double park? There are no legal parking spaces left. Plus the fact 16 parking spaces were lost at the Pedestrian Mall. Just put up signs saying residents with cars are not welcome because that is the truth. Instead of addressing the issue your suggestion is just to harass drivers. By the way, these drivers spend their money at various locations. A friend recently told me she use to go a spa downtown, now she goes to a similar spa in Bayonne that has parking.

Just shut up, "There are no legal parking spaces left." That statement alone is enough that you should just stop posting.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Could anyone guess why people double park? There are no legal parking spaces left. Plus the fact 16 parking spaces were lost at the Pedestrian Mall. Just put up signs saying residents with cars are not welcome because that is the truth. Instead of addressing the issue your suggestion is just to harass drivers. By the way, these drivers spend their money at various locations. A friend recently told me she use to go a spa downtown, now she goes to a similar spa in Bayonne that has parking.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
...not to mention going the wrong way against traffic.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 13:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/4 2:25
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psyop wrote:
I totally agree with cars blocking bike lanes is a problem, that's assuming that a cyclist is even using the bike lane.

Bicyclists ignoring traffic laws are a bigger problem.
Double parking should take a second seat to people on bikes running through stop signs and riding on sidewalks, I cannot count on two hands how many times i've almost been in an accident with a cyclist doing both of these things vs. a car parked in the bike lane.

+1

Posted on: 2015/7/25 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I totally agree with cars blocking bike lanes is a problem, that's assuming that a cyclist is even using the bike lane.

Bicyclists ignoring traffic laws are a bigger problem.
Double parking should take a second seat to people on bikes running through stop signs and riding on sidewalks, I cannot count on two hands how many times i've almost been in an accident with a cyclist doing both of these things vs. a car parked in the bike lane.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
the bike lanes are strategically placed so badly. They should've take notes from their NYC neighbors.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
My colleague on Bike JC's board, Patrick Conlon, is supposed to be on FiOS1 News tonight at 5 p.m., talking about this issue with their reporter Raven Santana.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY ? Twenty-two miles of bike lanes have been installed since Mayor Steve Fulop took office, but some bicycle advocates say motorists often ignore these lanes creating what they call unsafe and deadly conditions for cyclists and pedestrians.

Cars driving ? and even parking ? in bike lanes are a serious problem for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists alike, bike advocates say.

"All you have to do is go on Grove Street," said Christopher Englese, president and co-founder of Bike JC, an advocacy group for cyclists in Jersey City. "Because of the double parked cars in the bike lanes, the cyclist has to steer out into the actual road."

There are no specific laws regarding a motorist double parking in a bike lane in either Jersey City or New Jersey. State law only has rules against double parking, and for Englese, he rarely sees these double parking laws being enforced locally.

Main Story

Posted on: 2015/7/24 14:33

Bicycle advocacy groups call for crackdown on double parking in Jersey City, beyond
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/13 16:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Double parking laws in JC need to be enforced.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 12:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017