Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: New bar: The Archer
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

papadage wrote:
hearty..

unless his appetite can survive a cold winter?

Hardly.

Posted on: 2016/5/13 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
hearty..

unless his appetite can survive a cold winter?

Posted on: 2016/5/13 9:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The mistake I made I went there for dinner and left hungry and with a buzz. Great place but not for a 6 ft dude with a hardy appetite

Nope... definitely not a dinner place. That doesn't make it bad, just not a very good option for what you needed.

Posted on: 2016/5/12 21:24
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
hearty..

Posted on: 2016/5/12 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The mistake I made I went there for dinner and left hungry and with a buzz. Great place but not for a 6 ft dude with a hardy appetite

Posted on: 2016/5/12 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Archer is easily the best "Pre" or "Post" spot in the area.

Drinks are fantastic and priced right for what you're getting. Atmosphere is cozy and comfortable. Like User1111 said, service is top tier.

It's the perfect spot to grab a drink and a cheese plate with a date or friends before or after your "event". Great for 1-2 hours of awesome drinks to begin or end a night.

For what it's worth, I think their price point is right on for the quality of the drink you're getting. Plenty of other places within 100 yards to have 10 rounds of well liquor. If you want to have 1-3 great drinks and stay on the charming side of drunk, Archer is it.

Posted on: 2016/5/12 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Beautiful decor, expensive as hell, (two meatballs for $15) tasty, great service. I most likely wont be back anytime soon, so much more I can get for my $ elsewhere. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2016/5/12 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
It's impossible to read the menu, I had to bust out my phone and use the flashlight. But the waiter did say they were changing it soon, so at least they know it's an issue. Tasty drinks and tasty food but it is very expensive. Two cocktails, a cheese, and two plates cost me $68 with the tip and I was still hungry, so I went somewhere else for more food.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users

Definitely a keeper. Great space (loved it during the original Ox phase), good food and VERY good cocktails.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I went there for Apps and drinks before going to dinner at Left Bank on saturday and I thought it was beautiful inside. The food was great and I enjoyed my wine. It is a really nice spot.

We ranged in age from 26-35 and none of us could read the menu without the candle or our cellphone(this is normally only a problem my 60 year old dad has). We mentioned this to the waiter and he told us they are having them reprinted on lighter paper. The brown looks great but they need contrast.

I'm so glad places like this are finally starting to pop up downtown. The only real compliant I have is the training of the waitstaff needs to be improved. I find this to be a problem at a lot of JC restaurants.

Posted on: 2015/12/15 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Second visit -- with a group this time. Table lighting could be better for reading menu. Sesame noodles (with extra red pepper flakes) delicious. Friend's short ribs kind of tough. Manhattan cocktails delicious. My impression is that food in general could use a bit more oomph. We all had a good time and will go back. And it was PACKED on Friday.

Posted on: 2015/12/13 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Went there for the first time yesterday, my impressions:
small portions
tasty
expensive
cool interior design
a little too cool: couldn't read the menus by the candlelight in the booth

Would go again, not for a meal.

Posted on: 2015/12/13 16:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/22 15:52
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
No Silvermans vying for the photo op??????????

Posted on: 2015/12/12 15:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Ribbion cutting at The Archer Photos by Windward Lift

Posted by HDSID on Thursday, December 10, 2015

Posted on: 2015/12/12 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Also went last night and can totally agree with gt2220 on the cocktails, they were fantastic. Went with a group of four and had a chance to try a variety of things on the menu:

? Bread & Butter (3 tiny biscuits, spicy honey paired great )
? Duck Deviled Eggs (good but not memorable)
? Brussel sprouts (great, with apple? can't remember)
? Elk Sliders (2 per plate of average size, very tasty and not too spicy)
? Venison Corn Dog (2 per plate, quite small, maybe 2.5", just OK)
? Duck Poutine (very good, hard to discern amount of duck meat)
? Short Rib (wow, fantastic, melt in your mouth)

Overall the food was very good and nicely presented. However, I would NOT suggest going with the intention of eating a true, sit-down meal. The portions are modest for the price - but I think that's probably the whole point of the concept, that this is a bar first and a restaurant second. Our bill came to about 200 plus tip for the food mentioned above plus 5 cocktails, 2 glasses of wine and 2 beers. Not unreasonable, but we did leave with the intention of grabbing a quick slice of pizza to finish off the night.

Posted on: 2015/12/4 17:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
I finally got to check this place out last night (coincidentally they launched the full menu last night too). I only got drinks but as someone who can get pretty dorky about cocktails I can confidently say they know what they're doing. Natalie, the person in charge of the cocktail program, hails from the Petraske empire (Little Branch, Dutch Kills, etc) and the attention to detail really shows. NYC-level quality for sure. I'm very excited this place is open.

Posted on: 2015/12/4 15:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Went to the Archer a couple times with the wife and have to say that both experiences were excellent. We haven't tried anything from the kitchen, but I had a great Old Fashioned, a Bourbon drink off the menu, and she had a gin cocktail. Great ambiance, nice enough servers, and cool bouncer. The high booths are great too.

Posted on: 2015/12/2 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RickSp wrote:
We had a drink and a bite at the bar. It is a nice place. Comfortable and attractive. The bartender and service staff were friendly and attentive without being intrusive.

The beer list was odd. They offered six beers, four of which had ABVs over 8% with several at 12% or so. Personally, I am not crazy about high alcohol beers. Just my own preference. The two remaining beers were a lager that I had tried before and wasn't crazy about and an overly cute craft beer, which might have been great, or not. I like a lot of different styles of beer so a broader beer menu would be greatly appreciated.

if the beer menu is all 8% ABV or more, that will get me in the door. A cocktail bar/restaurant is usually not the sort of place I'm going for a night out drinking ? a couple stiff drinks and a bite to eat is in order. When I want to dance-off-pants-off on Bud Light, I'll pop my collar and bromance at "Club Porta"

Posted on: 2015/11/20 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gt2220 wrote:
Quote:

RickSp wrote:
I like a lot of different styles of beer so a broader beer menu would be greatly appreciated.

Most cocktail-focused bars, which The Archer is, are going to offer a limited range of beers. There are now so many places in JC with an excellent selection of beer, while the number of places to get a good cocktail is still low. I'm ok going 50 feet down the street to Barcade or Skinner's if I want a wide range of beers, I'd rather a cocktail bar focus on cocktails.

This! I love beer as such as the most rabid beer fan, but I also love good cocktails, and we just don't have enough good cocktail bars in this area. Every damn bar is saturated with TVs, often blasting sports. That's cool for the Sunday football crowd. But, every now and then, it would be nice to have more than one option to go somewhere nice to sit back, relax, sip on a nice cocktail, while engaging in conversation, or solitude, without having your senses assaulted by TVs. Definitely looking forward to visiting this place tonight!

Posted on: 2015/11/20 14:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RickSp wrote:
I like a lot of different styles of beer so a broader beer menu would be greatly appreciated.

Most cocktail-focused bars, which The Archer is, are going to offer a limited range of beers. There are now so many places in JC with an excellent selection of beer, while the number of places to get a good cocktail is still low. I'm ok going 50 feet down the street to Barcade or Skinner's if I want a wide range of beers, I'd rather a cocktail bar focus on cocktails.

Posted on: 2015/11/20 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RickSp wrote:

On that subject, have you been to The Jeffrey in NYC? It?s close to the Roosevelt Island tram station, on 60th St. Their rotating draft selection is the best I know of in terms of quality and variety of styles. They always seem to have something for any mood or taste.

There?s a time for strong beers, but it?s not all the time.

Posted on: 2015/11/20 13:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/27 20:26
Group:
Registered Users
We had a drink and a bite at the bar. It is a nice place. Comfortable and attractive. The bartender and service staff were friendly and attentive without being intrusive.

The beer list was odd. They offered six beers, four of which had ABVs over 8% with several at 12% or so. Personally, I am not crazy about high alcohol beers. Just my own preference. The two remaining beers were a lager that I had tried before and wasn't crazy about and an overly cute craft beer, which might have been great, or not. I like a lot of different styles of beer so a broader beer menu would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/11/20 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The grilled cheese was really delicious but the bison sloppy joe was surprisingly underseasoned. A couple near us had ordered the same thing and said that exact same thing. The beer menu was a bit short but I expect that will grow.

We did enjoy the atmosphere, particularly the beautiful ceiling.

Posted on: 2015/11/20 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
My last message ended "this place will also live or die based on the skill of their bar staff". I sincerely hope that is true, because if so, this place will thrive. I stopped by yesterday on their first open-to-the-public night, and while the printed cocktail menu was just comprised of a few safe classics, one look behind the bar was enough to show that they know what they are doing.

Natalie was the head bartender (running the program at Archer, I believe as a consultant, though) and had spent time working at the Flatiron Lounge, Dutch Kills and PKNY. Despite being the first day, her and Chris, the other bartender, made off-menu drinks that were both creative and perfectly composed. On their first day, they were already punching well above Dullboy's weight class, and at the very reasonable price of $12/cocktail, far less than the $15-16 that drinks of similar quality cost across the river at D&Co, Attaboy, etc.

Environment was exceptional - dark, warm, booths/tables perfect for conversation (although I was busy nerding out at the bar). The small plates menu looked very good, game-heavy, but didn't get a chance to try anything. They'll be rolling out their full cocktail menu of both classics and originals in the next couple weeks, as well as an extensive whiskey list.

Open one day, and it's likely already become the best bar in Jersey City. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Pretty spot-on review, I must say I was super impressed with this place as well. It has the feel of an ski lodge or hunting lodge, and smells like a cabin in the woods.

The Elk Meatball sliders are outrageously delicious, and as previously noted the bartending staff is top-notch.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
My last message ended "this place will also live or die based on the skill of their bar staff". I sincerely hope that is true, because if so, this place will thrive. I stopped by yesterday on their first open-to-the-public night, and while the printed cocktail menu was just comprised of a few safe classics, one look behind the bar was enough to show that they know what they are doing.

Natalie was the head bartender (running the program at Archer, I believe as a consultant, though) and had spent time working at the Flatiron Lounge, Dutch Kills and PKNY. Despite being the first day, her and Chris, the other bartender, made off-menu drinks that were both creative and perfectly composed. On their first day, they were already punching well above Dullboy's weight class, and at the very reasonable price of $12/cocktail, far less than the $15-16 that drinks of similar quality cost across the river at D&Co, Attaboy, etc.

Environment was exceptional - dark, warm, booths/tables perfect for conversation (although I was busy nerding out at the bar). The small plates menu looked very good, game-heavy, but didn't get a chance to try anything. They'll be rolling out their full cocktail menu of both classics and originals in the next couple weeks, as well as an extensive whiskey list.

Open one day, and it's likely already become the best bar in Jersey City. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Thanks for the review. I will go check them out tonight or tomorrow night. Looking forward to the cocktails, for sure.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/19 15:54

Edited by JcDevil on 2015/11/19 16:13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Who cares if they call them "bespoke" versus "custom"? Who cares about the fact that the menu actually lists it as "Bartender's choice", making this silly OMG AREN'T MILLENNIALS SO HIPSTERY AND THE WORST argument even more asinine than it usually is? Ward III makes great drinks, "bespoke" or not, and this place will also live or die based on the skill of their bar staff.

Posted on: 2015/11/10 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Word on the street is Dullboy will be rolling out Tiki Night, complete with hawaiian shirts and tiki-inspired drinks.

Posted on: 2015/11/10 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
I'm not sure if you're directing that at my use of the word fancy or the concept of a bespoke cocktail.

Fancy certainly applies here and I think also to the menu Dullboy as they use not-too-common ingredients like rhubarb amaro, piri piri spice, orgeat syrup, etc.

Bespoke plays into the millennial trope that we're all special and deserve unique experiences. Silly, but certainly not something I would let stop me from walking through the doors of a new bar. The word itself wasn't printed on the flyer-like menu they handed out, just a line or two saying pick a liquor and tell us what flavors you like, but it is on the menu at Ward III and seemed appropriate.

No! Of course it wasn't directed at YOU. It was a mini rant at the annoying use of certain words to denote a certain coolness. As you rightly point out, it plays into the (sad) millennial trope of being/portraying everything as special and unique.

And to better explain myself, I would add that I give Dullboy a lot of credit for not giving into the temptation of following on those fads. Of course, their cocktails and staff are a notch above the rest, but they don't take themselves so seriously as to be ridiculous in how they present/sell themselves, which is precisely why I continue to patronize them regularly.

When I was in there a week or two ago they were dressed in what appeared to be old time bartender clothes, with vests and striped suits, one guy had a top hat. If you're looking for 'not ridiculous' I'm not sure that Dullboy is a great example.

I like Dullboy, but they have at least one bartender that is just a bit too pretentious.

However, if they were in old time bartender clothes, that would be quite fantastic...

Posted on: 2015/11/10 14:25
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
I'm not sure if you're directing that at my use of the word fancy or the concept of a bespoke cocktail.

Fancy certainly applies here and I think also to the menu Dullboy as they use not-too-common ingredients like rhubarb amaro, piri piri spice, orgeat syrup, etc.

Bespoke plays into the millennial trope that we're all special and deserve unique experiences. Silly, but certainly not something I would let stop me from walking through the doors of a new bar. The word itself wasn't printed on the flyer-like menu they handed out, just a line or two saying pick a liquor and tell us what flavors you like, but it is on the menu at Ward III and seemed appropriate.

No! Of course it wasn't directed at YOU. It was a mini rant at the annoying use of certain words to denote a certain coolness. As you rightly point out, it plays into the (sad) millennial trope of being/portraying everything as special and unique.

And to better explain myself, I would add that I give Dullboy a lot of credit for not giving into the temptation of following on those fads. Of course, their cocktails and staff are a notch above the rest, but they don't take themselves so seriously as to be ridiculous in how they present/sell themselves, which is precisely why I continue to patronize them regularly.

When I was in there a week or two ago they were dressed in what appeared to be old time bartender clothes, with vests and striped suits, one guy had a top hat. If you're looking for 'not ridiculous' I'm not sure that Dullboy is a great example.

Posted on: 2015/11/10 12:36

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017