Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: New bar: The Archer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
I'm not sure if you're directing that at my use of the word fancy or the concept of a bespoke cocktail.

Fancy certainly applies here and I think also to the menu Dullboy as they use not-too-common ingredients like rhubarb amaro, piri piri spice, orgeat syrup, etc.

Bespoke plays into the millennial trope that we're all special and deserve unique experiences. Silly, but certainly not something I would let stop me from walking through the doors of a new bar. The word itself wasn't printed on the flyer-like menu they handed out, just a line or two saying pick a liquor and tell us what flavors you like, but it is on the menu at Ward III and seemed appropriate.

No! Of course it wasn't directed at YOU. It was a mini rant at the annoying use of certain words to denote a certain coolness. As you rightly point out, it plays into the (sad) millennial trope of being/portraying everything as special and unique.

And to better explain myself, I would add that I give Dullboy a lot of credit for not giving into the temptation of following on those fads. Of course, their cocktails and staff are a notch above the rest, but they don't take themselves so seriously as to be ridiculous in how they present/sell themselves, which is precisely why I continue to patronize them regularly.

Posted on: 2015/11/10 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
corybraiterman wrote: Quote:
bodhipooh wrote: You just about ruined it for me. Another "millennial" term that means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. WTF is up with the utterly brainless use of "fancy" terms? First it was "artisanal" then "craft" and now we have "bespoke".
Dictionary bespoke adjective \bi-?sp?k, b?-\ : made to fit a particular person; also : producing clothes that are made to fit a particular person 1a : custom-made b : dealing in or producing custom-made articles
Thank you for quoting the definition of the word... I obviously know what it means, just like I know the meaning and definitions of the words "artisanal" and "craft". Their applicability to all sorts of things for which they were never intended is the point of my post. Whatevs, bro, go enjoy their artisanal, bespoke cocktails. I'm sure they are delish, obvs.

Posted on: 2015/11/10 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
bodhipooh wrote: You just about ruined it for me. Another "millennial" term that means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. WTF is up with the utterly brainless use of "fancy" terms? First it was "artisanal" then "craft" and now we have "bespoke".
Dictionary bespoke adjective \bi-?sp?k, b?-\ : made to fit a particular person; also : producing clothes that are made to fit a particular person 1a : custom-made b : dealing in or producing custom-made articles

Posted on: 2015/11/10 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
One thing i've learned is if you are going to serve it in a restaurant, the game meat has to be FDA approved (if they want to be legal).

Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
I was told the food would concentrate on game.

Posted on: 2015/11/10 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I was told the food would concentrate on game.

Posted on: 2015/11/9 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure if you're directing that at my use of the word fancy or the concept of a bespoke cocktail.

Fancy certainly applies here and I think also to the menu Dullboy as they use not-too-common ingredients like rhubarb amaro, piri piri spice, orgeat syrup, etc.

Bespoke plays into the millennial trope that we're all special and deserve unique experiences. Silly, but certainly not something I would let stop me from walking through the doors of a new bar. The word itself wasn't printed on the flyer-like menu they handed out, just a line or two saying pick a liquor and tell us what flavors you like, but it is on the menu at Ward III and seemed appropriate.

Posted on: 2015/11/9 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:

Was in on Saturday as well. Think expensive, fancy cocktails in the vein of Dullboy, or more appropriately Ward III in Tribeca as they're also trying to do the "bespoke" cocktail: give me a spirit and a flavor profile and I'll whip something unique up just for you.

You just about ruined it for me. Another "millennial" term that means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. WTF is up with the utterly brainless use of "fancy" terms? First it was "artisanal" then "craft" and now we have "bespoke". Any bar that describes their cocktails in such manner is a pretentious place desperate to sound cool. One thing I loved about Dullboy is their relatively "unpretentious" tag line: fine foods & boozing done better. Let your art/skill/product speak for itself.

Posted on: 2015/11/9 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
This may be the first JC bar with no TVs, perhaps a new day has dawned. Any decent beer choices, or is it mostly cocktails and wine?
McGinley Square Pub doesn't have TVs.

Barcade didn't for a while but gave in when the World Cup rolled around.

Posted on: 2015/11/9 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
This may be the first JC bar with no TVs, perhaps a new day has dawned. Any decent beer choices, or is it mostly cocktails and wine?

Posted on: 2015/11/9 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zerogains wrote:
Soft opening happened Saturday, had a cocktail. No food yet, hence the soft launch. Really nice interior, obviously from the look of the website it has a "hunting lodge" feel with high booth backs. The best part, NO TVs.

Was in on Saturday as well. Think expensive, fancy cocktails in the vein of Dullboy, or more appropriately Ward III in Tribeca as they're also trying to do the "bespoke" cocktail: give me a spirit and a flavor profile and I'll whip something unique up just for you.

Cocktails were all decent for opening night and I think all priced at $12. Interior has a bunch of high booths so this is a much better option than Dullboy if you're looking to sit down with a few friends and have a conversation.

Interested to see the food menu and will be back, but probably not too frequently.

Posted on: 2015/11/9 20:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/23 15:23
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
Soft opening happened Saturday, had a cocktail. No food yet, hence the soft launch. Really nice interior, obviously from the look of the website it has a "hunting lodge" feel with high booth backs. The best part, NO TVs.

Posted on: 2015/11/9 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Spoke to one of the people involved with this place, at the weekend's food festival on Grove Street. Sounds like a good concept. Aiming to open this fall in the Box space: http://www.illcentric.com/

Please tell us you disabused them of the misplaced hope and notion of an on-time opening.

Their website states Late Summer, they told you Fall. I am thinking Winter, at the earliest. Most likely, Spring. Yes, I am jaded. And, disappointed that all these people willing to pour their hard earned savings and dreams into JC keep getting the run around when it comes time to open a business and invest in our communities.

Given the fact that this place is still apparently months away from opening, Bodhipooh nailed it.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The door to The Archer was open today so I peeked in. The space looks really cool. It looked like there were a bunch of booths, and the bar was towards the back. I really was impressed with the looks of the place. It looks to me like they are not THAT far away from completion. Maybe a couple months. Looks like they updated their website aesthetically, but no real info otherwise: http://www.archerbar.com/

Posted on: 2015/10/24 2:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/11 18:46
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I liked their happy hour, though admittedly I never tried the sushi. Brooklyn lager drafts were two bucks and the appetizers were decent enough for the price. I don't think I ever spent more than 20 bucks there and always enjoyed a quick stop off on Friday nights after work. That being said, I'll be looking forward to the Archer opening. With how busy it's getting around here you can never have too many decent bars etc.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 12:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:44
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
agreed regarding the food, I ate sushi there once and ordered to go once, both times it tasted awful and was overpriced for the portion. Did they really change the name to "Box Spring"? Saw it was painted underneath "box" the other day, I thought that was just a joke on JC List regarding the name

Posted on: 2015/7/23 16:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/26 14:56
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
i seem to remember Box having some bizarrely desperate happy hour special. like your own personal gallon pitcher of garbage japanese lager for $8. desperate times...

Posted on: 2015/7/23 15:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
I call that ally Skid Row. The junkies and drunks days are numbered for sure.

FYI that Was Paco's pet rat, Ben. Paco and Taco really liked that little guy and were always super loving to animals.

Posted on: 2015/7/23 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
The drunks congregate in the adjacent parking lot. They are slowly being pushed away from downtown.

i don't think that the homeless people were their problem. the food being awful was the problem. I can't believe they lasted so long.

Posted on: 2015/7/23 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kalen wrote:
There are a lot of panhandlers who hang out around that building. I know that is one of the reasons Box left. They thought it deterred business. Hopefully this new place does not the same problem.

They seem to congregate around that little parking lot next to the building.

The last time we ate at Box would have been maybe 2-3 months ago, about 6pm Saturday evening. A guy dressed in jeans and t-shirt with a bucket supposedly collecting for the Boys & Girls Club walked in, was waved through by the host and he then proceeded to walk from table to table soliciting "donations" in a bucket with a handwritten sign. The guy was clearly not affiliated with the BGCA in any way, and the fact that the staff just let him come in and bother its customers was astonishing. We agreed that this would be the last time we ate there, but I guess the staff had basically given up the fight by that stage.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kalen wrote:
There are a lot of panhandlers who hang out around that building. I know that is one of the reasons Box left. They thought it deterred business. Hopefully this new place does not the same problem.

That's exactly why I don't walk on that side of the street. One time one of them had a pet rat crawling on them. Too much.

Seems like if you're a parking lot in downtown your days are numbered. So maybe that'll change the situation.

Suggestion to Archer: no tvs. We have enough bars with tvs.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 15:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/23 7:20
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/22 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Spoke to one of the people involved with this place, at the weekend's food festival on Grove Street. Sounds like a good concept. Aiming to open this fall in the Box space: http://www.illcentric.com/

Please tell us you disabused them of the misplaced hope and notion of an on-time opening.

Their website states Late Summer, they told you Fall. I am thinking Winter, at the earliest. Most likely, Spring. Yes, I am jaded. And, disappointed that all these people willing to pour their hard earned savings and dreams into JC keep getting the run around when it comes time to open a business and invest in our communities.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Mox nox.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 12:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
disappointed with the name - hoped they would keep the OX tradition.

Hoping for LOX - a deli
or even COX - a gay bar

Posted on: 2015/7/22 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Glad the space is taken already.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 12:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Bar-first, cocktail bar, small plates, cozy but fun space.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
so what is the concept?

Posted on: 2015/7/22 3:39

New bar: The Archer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/22 3:15

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017