Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New Luxury Apartments Downtown - Suggestions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
A friend of mine is looking for apartments and is considering Liberty Harbor. I'm wondering if you can provide some feedback? Sorry, I know a bit off topic.

Also, has anyone checked out the rentals at Charles & co? I heard that it's almost 50% rented?

Liberty Harbor review

experience. 3 years renting.

location. decent but you get what you pay for.

amenities. horrible - extremely overcrowded and poorly maintained pool, very outdated gym without freeweights aside from a couple dumbbells.

heating/cooling. extremely expensive as the buildings are made with extremely cheap insulation. average monthly cost in the winter was about $200-350/mo to keep my 650 sq ft apartment at around 65F.

Parking. $125/mo. Good luck parking on a weekend (despite the fact that you pay for a permit) as parking "opens" to beer garden customers on weekends.

Security. My parked car was hit/clipped by drunk drivers leaving zeppelin hall twice. on one occasion a JCMC security guard saw the accident happen, ran over to stop the driver from leaving the scene, she then proceeded to run over the security guard in order to flee the scene. thankfully he got the license plate number on his phone camera because liberty harbor has no security cameras aside from those in the lobbies.

Litter. Walking around vomit, and preventing your dog from going near it, is a roughly once a month hassle.

Noise. My unit wasn't bad as I wasnt in, or facing, 9 regent (beer garden building).

Rent renewal and security deposits. JCNB/Grand Street Property Management is notorious for raising rent in the double digits (10-20%) after 1-2 years regardless of market rates in the area. They will nickle and dime you for your security deposit ($10 per picture pin/nail holes in the drywall). $300 for light scratches in the polyeurethane coat on the flooring near the doorway. Every former neighbor that I know had 25%-100% of their deposit withheld. I've had two apartments with the management company (owned by the developer/owner of liberty harbor) and it was the same story in both cases. In one case (non-liberty harbor), they withheld $6470 of my $6500 deposit, claiming damage that they couldnt show proof of and stating issues were beyond normal wear and tear... I was in the apartment for over 6 years (well beyond the useful life of almost everything in the apartment).

Fixing stuff. They are prompt and responsive. They don't necessarily do a good, or legal, job though. I discovered mold in the bathroom closet a few weeks following a leak from pipes in the ceiling. The solution... paint over it.

Staff. the head cleaning lady is possibly the most obnoxious staff member I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with. some residents, those with kids, tend to like her though as she seems to love children. if you don't have kids, its another story. she is not liked by the rest of the staff as she is essentially the management's gestapo agent. The door people are generally nice and friendly, but there is extremely high turnover.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slsu wrote:
@JCDevil @Jaded8695 @Maise

Thanks for the information - again very helpful! I'm going to rule out 50 Regent. I checked out in Paulus Hook as well, but its out of my price range currently. As for 18 Park, I fell in love with the place, but was very concerned about the south-facing units that are facing the new condo construction site. Was the noise pretty unbearable? That's not a good sign if it indicates that the walls are really thin.

I'm considering units in Gulls Cove, and while they face the Light Rail, I'd hope they'd be less disturbing than 18 Park. Maybe they have better insulation?

Does anyone have any insight into the quality of Toll Brothers apartments? I know the company has just started entering into this market, wanted to see how they were doing reputation-wise.

I live in Gulls Cove, which is a condo building. Most units are owner-occupied, but some are available for rent by owner. Construction quality is decent. You don't hear any construction noise from the other side of 18Park and the noise from the light rail is negligible. Units are on average much larger than at 18Park because it's a condo unit that was finished in 2008-09, when land prices were lower.

Where Gulls Cove falls short is on amenities. It has a doorman, a gym, a small common area on the ground/1st floor, and a landscaped courtyard. But no pool, indoor common room, community room/party facility, or kiddie playroom. 18Park has all of those.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 21:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/17 14:12
From Edison, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
@JCDevil @Jaded8695 @Maise

Thanks for the information - again very helpful! I'm going to rule out 50 Regent. I checked out in Paulus Hook as well, but its out of my price range currently. As for 18 Park, I fell in love with the place, but was very concerned about the south-facing units that are facing the new condo construction site. Was the noise pretty unbearable? That's not a good sign if it indicates that the walls are really thin.

I'm considering units in Gulls Cove, and while they face the Light Rail, I'd hope they'd be less disturbing than 18 Park. Maybe they have better insulation?

Does anyone have any insight into the quality of Toll Brothers apartments? I know the company has just started entering into this market, wanted to see how they were doing reputation-wise.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 21:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
When I first moved to Jersey City I lived in 50 Columbus and was pretty happy there. Great central location for a JC newbie. I have since moved to Paulus Hook and there a number of large buildings there that weren't on my radar at all when I was first looking at Jersey City.

None of these are secrets, but the buildings seem nice and have central Heat / AC and good locations. Didnt see them mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Would definitely check them out:

http://www.windsoratlibertyhouse.com/ - Many units have balconies.
http://www.equityapartments.com/new-j ... son-point-apartments.aspx - Balconies that overlook the marina
http://www.equityapartments.com/new-j ... 70-greene-apartments.aspx - New building - high rise...
http://www.warrenatyork.com/jersey-ci ... t-york-by-windsor/photos/ - New building...I have friends that live here (moved from 50 Columbus) and see very happy.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jaded8695 wrote:
Thank you for your feedback. We are still looking although 18 Park is our 1st choice.

I stayed at a friend's place in 18 Park for a month, and it's definitely a mixed bag - very thin windows make both temperature and noise a massive concern. This isn't terribly uncommon in new construction rentals, it seems, but if you're facing the courtyard, you will be listening to construction noises constantly, as the buildings directly to the south get built up.

The concierge is very friendly and helpful, though; the amenity floor is nice enough; the interior design is good and the hallways are, well, uniquely Blade Runner-esque. Just make sure you're north-facing.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 16:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 20:23
Group:
Registered Users
@slsu
I would be wary of 50 Regent because its managed by the same group - Grand St. PM

We looked at The One yesterday - it's a very impressive property. Lots of amenities, pet friendly, w/d in unit, etc. BLDG, the management company that runs the property has dreadful reviews online. BLDG manages a number of properties throughout NYC - each review was the same. BLDG is terrible (I am being kind - reviews are much harsher). I would say BLDG review are some of the worst I have come across - including Grand St PM

The Morgan's initial move in date is mid-October which unfortunately is too late.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 15:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Edison, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
@Jaded8695 - Thanks - this is very valuable information to know about Liberty Harbor. I was hoping that with the higher rent and qualifications of 50 Regent, one would expect the management to improve. Doesn't seem like it though.

18 park is definitely one of the nicer ones in the area. Have you checked out The One? Or Provost?

http://theonenj.com/site/index.php

http://www.livethemorgan.com/Home.aspx

Posted on: 2015/7/13 13:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for your feedback. We are still looking although 18 Park is our 1st choice.

I would stay far away from Liberty Harbor. I feel as a resident for a number of years I have a good feel for the property.

Good:
Located across from Jersey Ave light rail Station, a 10 minute walk from the Grove Street Path and a 15 minute walk from the Exchange Place Path. Amenities including 24 hour doorman/concierge, a large rooftop outdoor pool area, a basic gym. Elevator. A parking lot (for an additional fee). Some apartments have a nice south-facing view of the statue of liberty.

Bad:
Terrible Property Management. They don't take phone calls. Instead all communication is via email. They pick and choose which messages to respond to. Building amenities are falling apart. For example, gym TVs no longer work , missing and/or broken equipment. At least one elevator is almost always out of service.
Repairs - It is difficult to get appointments for repairs outside of Monday through Friday, 9-5. That makes it very difficult for people who have jobs to get routine repairs without allowing 24/7 access to the apartment by strangers.
Concierge - many are unprofessional and poorly trained. The turnover is astronomical. Concierges are as unhappy with property management as residents.
Residents are treated as 2nd class citizens - behind Beer Garden patrons and Sky City Apartments (a company which owns and/or rents numerous vacant apartments in the building to use as hotel rooms primarily for international visitors).
Parking - priority is given to beer garden patrons, with residents relegated to back lots.

Posted on: 2015/7/12 16:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eblanco wrote:
Charles & Co doesn't have W/D inside the apartment, but they do have central air and gas furnaces which is the bigger money saver vs the electric heat in most of the new buildings. Also bigger closets.

Central air is nice for a rental. Might make up for the lack of in apt w/d.

Posted on: 2015/7/11 17:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
All the existing rentals are more or less the same. Cheap fixtures and finishings that look nice from afar. Shitty mngmt. Ac/heat that drains your wallet.

Posted on: 2015/7/11 17:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Edison, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone comment on 50 regent street? The apts look nice, but I worry about the management.

Posted on: 2015/7/11 7:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/11 21:03
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
Charles & Co doesn't have W/D inside the apartment, but they do have central air and gas furnaces which is the bigger money saver vs the electric heat in most of the new buildings. Also bigger closets.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
this is, perhaps, the simple obvious question, and i'm not sure why it hasn't been asked...

if you can afford to travel frequently and move into a luxury apartment in an expensive area, can't you also afford a quality real estate broker as well?

why are you asking amateurs when you could be asking a professional?

Well, coming here to ask questions is probably a smart move. It can help narrow down the options, which could then help the process be more manageable on their own. Plus, honestly, I have dealt with many, many realtors in the past that knew next to nothing about the properties they were peddling or showing. Just recently, I was talking to a younger guy involved in the business and he was telling me it is not at all uncommon for them to find themselves showing places that they are only just seeing for the first time when showing it to you. Prior to their visits, they got a solid, thorough description from their computer systems (if they are lucky) and the rest they are just winging. The ones that make careers out of this tend to be great at improvising and projecting a false image of thoroughly knowing each place they are showing. They should probably pick up playing poker during weekend tournaments!

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Because the "professionals" you are talking about are professional salesmen, not professional advice-givers? The job of a RE broker is to sell you something - nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather read the relatively unbiased reviews of tenants than hear the incentive-skewed opinion of a broker.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
this is, perhaps, the simple obvious question, and i'm not sure why it hasn't been asked...

if you can afford to travel frequently and move into a luxury apartment in an expensive area, can't you also afford a quality real estate broker as well?

why are you asking amateurs when you could be asking a professional?

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

go2thecorner wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I thought as a general rule, new construction is cheap and poorly constructed?

Having no construction or engineering background, I'll redact my statement and say from a layman's perspective, the 225 Grand appears well maintained.

The problem, of course, is that 225 Grand is not a luxury building. Not by a long shot. And, that was one requirement (out of two) mentioned by the OP. I have been inside 225 Grand apartments, and I found them to be dreary (dark) with poor/cheap finishes: crappy/cheap cabinets, parquet floors, etc. Definitely not a luxury place.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 6:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/5 15:36
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Having no construction or engineering background, I'll redact my statement and say from a layman's perspective, the 225 Grand appears well maintained.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Have you used apartments.com? That website has come a long way since I last checked it out.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/9 18:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/5 15:36
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
225 Grand is a great recommendation. Right down Grand Street from the Liberty Harbor properties. Clean, new (2010 construction?), and well built. I would say best bang for buck in DTJC for a new construction high rise. I think the winning points are that the building is well constructed, aesthetically appealing, and their employees are all very professional.

They are very pet friendly; I think they have a $250 non-refundable "pet deposit" and pet rent is $ 50 a month. Most 1 bedrooms are between $2400-2700 last time I checked.

To the inquiry about Liberty Harbor, I would strongly suggest avoiding their properties. Unless a small miracle has occured since I left in 2013, their property management company is terrible (located in a self-storage building) and is unaccommodating. Everything kept breaking in our unit. During the polar vortax a couple years back our heating units weren't working, and after numerous attempts to fix them (none which worked) we pretty much got an "it is what it is" response and a space heater. Electric bills comically expensive. Obviously moved out after that. And if you do a yelp review, which I can confirm from personal experience, they will nickel and dime you out of your entire security deposit.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
IMHO, I rather have a washer/dryer in the unit than a dishwasher. The thought of having to use a machine that has literally, a few minutes ago washed someone else's underwear is disgusting.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Square footage that could be used for more livable room, I guess, especially since they likely wanted to maximize their rentable area given a restricted FAR. If anything, I consider it a pretty bullish sign about DTJC real estate prices going forward, since in the past, comforts like that were a main reason people moved here - the building is obviously targeted towards younger people who are less likely to call it a dealbreaker.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 17:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
My sister looked at C&Co, thought it was very nice, but there are no in-unit W/Ds, at least in the 1 bedroom units she was looking at (same price range as OP), but with a laundry room on every floor, I assume they decided to go without altogether.

i heard it's nice as well. ballsy move scrapping the laundry in every apt. i wonder what the logic was behind that. how much could they save...

Posted on: 2015/7/9 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
My sister looked at C&Co, thought it was very nice, but there are no in-unit W/Ds, at least in the 1 bedroom units she was looking at (same price range as OP), but with a laundry room on every floor, I assume they decided to go without altogether.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
A friend of mine is looking for apartments and is considering Liberty Harbor. I'm wondering if you can provide some feedback? Sorry, I know a bit off topic.

Also, has anyone checked out the rentals at Charles & co? I heard that it's almost 50% rented?

Posted on: 2015/7/8 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jaded8695 wrote:
So my better half and I are considering moving from our apartment in Liberty Harbor to a luxury building downtown. With new construction on what seems like every corner - it's daunting to review and seek out each property as my wife an I travel frequently.

We are looking for a pet-friendly, 1br (ideally 700 sq ft or more) in the $2600 range.

Also is it seems like these new properties to like charge both a annual pet fee; as high as $500 plus a a per month fee of $50-75. Is this the new norm? Is this permitted?

Thanks.

Liberty Harbor is in DTJC. Try 18Park or the Madox.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 20:20

New Luxury Apartments Downtown - Suggestions

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So my better half and I are considering moving from our apartment in Liberty Harbor to a luxury building downtown. With new construction on what seems like every corner - it's daunting to review and seek out each property as my wife an I travel frequently.

We are looking for a pet-friendly, 1br (ideally 700 sq ft or more) in the $2600 range.

Also is it seems like these new properties to like charge both a annual pet fee; as high as $500 plus a a per month fee of $50-75. Is this the new norm? Is this permitted?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 19:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017