Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
47 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 47

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: Please Help Prato Bakery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Mao, no one is shutting down Prato. By all means, inhale the aroma. They have been asked to do what everone else has been asked to do. Either live within the zoning regs of your property, or apply for a a variance. And that's what they're doing. It's a public hearing so I am letting people who may not be on the City's mailing list for these notices know.

JCishome, no, no one is alarmed a bakery has opened. Prato has a big following and that's great. They do however have to abide by local regulations until such time as the City says they don't. If you have an opinion on the matter, show up at the hearing.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 15:59
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Good lord. A few short years ago the opening of ANY business was a cause for celebration in Jersey City. Now we're getting particular about what KIND of business opens. What's next, saying what nationalities of people are allowed in at all?

Oh, wait.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 15:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Hmmm, the building, which appears to be about the age of most of the historic district, was clearly built with a commercial use for the first floor in mind. The owners have done a beautiful job fixing it up. Moreover, this is not some big corporation or some rich guys who put together an investment restaurant- this is a family business with children to feed. What could possibly be the problem? Perhaps there could be a limit on the use of the patio, e.g. no music and it closes down by 10:00 PM.

If a nuisance developed, e.g. loud throbbing music, drunks blocking the sidewalk and urinating while they smoked their pot and cigarettes, well that could be addressed.

Also, one of the definite charms of a neighborhood like this is that gems like Prato are, if one is lucky, hidden in different places around it. The people next door are the luckiest because they get to smell the baking and roll out of bed to buy them piping hot.

I'm a right wing Tea Party nut (according to this board). But one of the things I could not stand about the suburb where I was born was how agitated and hysterical homeowners became about the littlest thing. Lo and behold, it worse here in hip JC.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 15:19
Print Top

Prato Bakery - Zoning Board again
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
For anyone following this item, Prato is once again seeking a variance at the Board of Adjustment on Thursday, December 10. Item 13, application for "d" variance.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 14:53
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I just received the agenda for the November 12 meeting and i don't see this item.

Posted on: 2015/11/9 14:32
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Opinion of one guy from the neighborhood: let them have indoor, but not outdoor seating. done and done.

... definitely would not want new outdoor seating if I was a Tennant/property downer around the back of Prato.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 13:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Don't no one rat them out!! Do not answer user1111's question publically, do it PM if you must. I like my after hours bars

I go clubbing, lounging after hours in NYC and JC . The spots I go to in JC stay open till 7 am but they are no where near peoples houses or apartments they are mostly held in industrial areas where they should be.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 20:20
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I'm all in favor of additional expansion of commercial enterprise and restaurants and everything, and taller buildings. But I hope Prato gets shut down. The city needs to stop giving variances and re-zoning to everybody that comes crawling over.

If Prato wanted to open a restaurant, they should have done their homework and found a place that was zoned properly. The people that moved to that block did so knowing that there was not a restaurant with backyard seating, and all of a sudden there will be a bunch of noise in their backyard every night just because Prato didn't do their homework?

Same goes with all these developers asking for variances to build taller otherwise they can't make any money. I would like to see JC buildings go taller, but it's not our damn problem if you paid too much for your land! Do your research ahead of time and make a plan that will make you money, rather than buying in and then bitching about how you need a variance.

I'd be in favor of this IF the zoning code was amended and made more flexible and there wasn't such a great need for variances.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 20:07
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Don't no one rat them out!! Do not answer user1111's question publically, do it PM if you must. I like my after hours bar.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Mike1234 wrote:

This same establishment also could care less when we would call at 3 am on a Thursday to say it was too loud. Or at 4 am on a Tuesday.

Do you live in Jersey City? Which bar stays open until 3 and 4 am on a weekday? Bars are closed in Jersey City at 2 am on a weekday and 3 am on the weekend.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 20:04
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I'm all in favor of additional expansion of commercial enterprise and restaurants and everything, and taller buildings. But I hope Prato gets shut down. The city needs to stop giving variances and re-zoning to everybody that comes crawling over.

If Prato wanted to open a restaurant, they should have done their homework and found a place that was zoned properly. The people that moved to that block did so knowing that there was not a restaurant with backyard seating, and all of a sudden there will be a bunch of noise in their backyard every night just because Prato didn't do their homework?

Same goes with all these developers asking for variances to build taller otherwise they can't make any money. I would like to see JC buildings go taller, but it's not our damn problem if you paid too much for your land! Do your research ahead of time and make a plan that will make you money, rather than buying in and then bitching about how you need a variance.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 13:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mike1234 wrote:

This same establishment also could care less when we would call at 3 am on a Thursday to say it was too loud. Or at 4 am on a Tuesday.

Do you live in Jersey City? Which bar stays open until 3 and 4 am on a weekday? Bars are closed in Jersey City at 2 am on a weekday and 3 am on the weekend.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 13:36
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know the science of sound but the noise from my backyard is actually louder on the 4th floor than on street level. What sounds like normal conversation from one yard to another gets increasingly louder as it rises. Perhaps the sound echoes off all the other buildings in the back?

No, it's a problem. And whether Prato can manage the backyard noise, the next tenant may not or may not care.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 12:32
Print Top

Hide User information
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
While I do really like Prato bakery, I did previously live above a place that put in outdoor seating and started hiring DJs. When I complained to friends I got a response of "well, it is above a bar".... when they came to visit though, they all said "oh, now I get it.... how are they so loud???"

I should also mention we lived on the 4th floor, and with all the windows closed could still feel the floor shake from the bass and in our front room we could still hear people shouting from the back yard.

This same establishment also could care less when we would call at 3 am on a Thursday to say it was too loud. Or at 4 am on a Tuesday. Both of which would regularly happen.

And still unless people actually came over to our apartment to experience it, they didn't understand why we "couldn't deal with a little noise"

So I am sympathetic with a resident who lives in an area not zoned for outdoor seating who doesn't want the noise from outdoor seating or their current quiet home life disrupted.

And I know this is just a bakery, not a full service restaurant that will be open late, but I just wanted to point out how a seemingly harmless outdoor seating area could be unreasonably disruptive to the neighbors. And you wouldn't know it unless you lived there.

That being said, I hope that Prato can continue in a way that is respectful to their neighbors.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 9:15
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Adjourned to November 12

Eagerly waiting the outcome. Also, can't wait to hear the position of Devyn Manibo with her "Go Home Yuppie Scum" and "Go get brunch somewhere else" philosophies has to say about this. Wonder what has become of her great campaign anyway.

LMFAO

Posted on: 2015/11/1 11:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Adjourned to November 12

Eagerly waiting the outcome. Also, can't wait to hear the position of Devyn Manibo with her "Go Home Yuppie Scum" and "Go get brunch somewhere else" philosophies has to say about this. Wonder what has become of her great campaign anyway.

Posted on: 2015/11/1 9:21
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Adjourned to November 12

Posted on: 2015/10/30 11:58
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
So what happened? Was the big bad evil restaurant that was to be at 61 Erie Street stopped?

Posted on: 2015/10/29 22:47
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:
i totally support it.

Show up tonight at City Hall and let your voice be heard.

Here is tonight's Board of Adjustment agenda (6:30pm at City Council chambers in City Hall). Prato is item #13.

http://www.jerseycitynj.gov/uploadedF ... d_Agenda/zb102915.agn.pdf

Posted on: 2015/10/29 17:47
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
i totally support it.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 15:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Let's just throw out all the zoning laws. We're so close to that anyway.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 18:56
Print Top

Re: NO RESTAURANT AT 61 ERIE STREET
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
This person apparently didn't learn from their first post about this. The hysteria is laughable and detracts from actual issues.

Seriously, lol at some of this shit.

That said, it is pretty silly that prato seems to continue to put the cart before the horse. If they wanted a restaurant so bad, why the hell did they open up shop in a location not zoned for it? It's not exactly as if Erie is a street with a ton of traffic - foot or car - in the prime dinner hours, or even lunch tbqh. Why screw with everything instead of just picking a better location?

Right? It's like the Prato people thought, "maybe if we just get a toe-hold..."

But then, they've got traction on this zoning ordinance, so maybe they're not so silly after all.

As a neighbor who will be sandwiched evenly between Bell & Grey and whatever bar Prato becomes in the future, this zoning change will not please me AT ALL.

And this time the OP isn't that over-the-top in his/her hysteria. Newark Ave has become a real sh*tshow overnight, with the first block of Erie hot on its douchebaggy heels.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 18:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
I don't think Rustique Pizza , Dames Coffee Bar or Ahri's Korean Foods which are also in your neighborhood are generating fights, noise, drunken behavior and car break-ins. Should they be banned or restricted too?

Give them time. :D

On a more serious note, Dames and Rustique are on Jersey, which is a fairly busy street. Dames is also near existing commercial storefronts. They aren't too out of character with the neighborhood.

Ahri's is a little more appropriate rejoinder. Seems quiet enough.

Still, I'm not thrilled by the zoning change. It's not about Prato, it's about the possibility that they could be replaced by a real bar at some future date. I think if Ahri's closed, and a bar took its place, the neighbors might be less thrilled.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 18:42
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

squeeg wrote:
Dear Neighbors, etc

I for one do not support the zoning change for Prato. IMO it's out of character for a small residential neighborhood.

But squeeq... you really need to take it down a notch. It is definitely not helping your position.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 18:37
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
This person apparently didn't learn from their first post about this. The hysteria is laughable and detracts from actual issues.

Seriously, lol at some of this shit.

That said, it is pretty silly that prato seems to continue to put the cart before the horse. If they wanted a restaurant so bad, why the hell did they open up shop in a location not zoned for it? It's not exactly as if Erie is a street with a ton of traffic - foot or car - in the prime dinner hours, or even lunch tbqh. Why screw with everything instead of just picking a better location?

Posted on: 2015/10/28 17:59
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I remember when White Star on Brunswick was moving forward with outdoor seating. Then they got outdoor seating.

It was as eventful as that.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 17:31
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

squeeg wrote:
Dear Neighbors,

Please help us send a clear message to The Jersey City Zoning Board that we are not comfortable with a full scale restaurant at 61 Erie Street. We do however, support Prato, a small neighborhood bakery and cafe with interior seating, which is a quaint gathering place for the neighborhood - this is what the location should be approved for.

A full restaurant at 61 Erie Street is not in the best interest of the Historic Harsimus Cove community; remember: a variance is attached to the property: not the business. If Prato were to close there are few limits as to what kind of a restaurant could take over and we can never stop it once it is approved.

If 61 Erie Street is approved for a restaurant it will bridge with Newark Avenue where fights, noise, drunken behavior and car break-ins have become a problem. We do not want this in our neighborhood!

If a restaurant is approved at 61 Erie Street then what's to stop any current deli, bakery, or vacant retail space from becoming a full category 2 restaurant anywhere within our communities? An approval for a restaurant in the middle of a neighborhood would not bring any benefit to the communities.

I don't think Rustique Pizza , Dames Coffee Bar or Ahri's Korean Foods which are also in your neighborhood are generating fights, noise, drunken behavior and car break-ins. Should they be banned or restricted too?

Food fights perhaps?

*womp womp*

Posted on: 2015/10/28 16:41
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
What next? Murals on walls???

Oh, wait...

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
KEEP RESTAURANTS OUT OF CITIES!! THE FOOD! THE COFFEE! FOOD SMELLS! THE HORROR!

GET RID OF THOSE EVIL TREES! AND CANCEL CHRISTMAS!

Posted on: 2015/10/28 16:39
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From JCNJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

squeeg wrote:

Please help us and get involved because your voice and your opinion does matter!

you should go tell all your friends. oh wait

Posted on: 2015/10/28 16:31
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
KEEP RESTAURANTS OUT OF CITIES!! THE FOOD! THE COFFEE! FOOD SMELLS! THE HORROR!

GET RID OF THOSE EVIL TREES! AND CANCEL CHRISTMAS!

Posted on: 2015/10/28 16:27
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

squeeg wrote:
Dear Neighbors,

Please help us send a clear message to The Jersey City Zoning Board that we are not comfortable with a full scale restaurant at 61 Erie Street. We do however, support Prato, a small neighborhood bakery and cafe with interior seating, which is a quaint gathering place for the neighborhood - this is what the location should be approved for.

A full restaurant at 61 Erie Street is not in the best interest of the Historic Harsimus Cove community; remember: a variance is attached to the property: not the business. If Prato were to close there are few limits as to what kind of a restaurant could take over and we can never stop it once it is approved.

If 61 Erie Street is approved for a restaurant it will bridge with Newark Avenue where fights, noise, drunken behavior and car break-ins have become a problem. We do not want this in our neighborhood!

If a restaurant is approved at 61 Erie Street then what's to stop any current deli, bakery, or vacant retail space from becoming a full category 2 restaurant anywhere within our communities? An approval for a restaurant in the middle of a neighborhood would not bring any benefit to the communities.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 16:15
Print Top

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017