Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Greetings From Jersey City Gicleé Prints

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/22 22:42
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
To be clear, the print is by a local collective known as Green Villain who approached us to do these prints as a collaboration. The print is from a photograph of a mural that we painted right by the Holland Tunnel.

I am not that familiar w/ the Hoboken artist known for his/her large letter style of artwork but would love to learn more about them and possibly collaborate with them on a mural one day as well!

Posted on: 2015/9/22 2:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/22 22:42
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
Hello! Someone brought this post to my attention and I just wanted to jump in here and introduce myself.

My name is Victor Ving and I am the artist who painted the Greetings From Jersey City mural. I am a big collector of the vintage large letter postcards and some of them actually date back as far as the early 1900's. In the 40's, Curt Teich (Chicago Printer) became one of the main printers of the iconic style of postcards. They had a team of artists who designed these cards and most of them were commercial jobs for clients in different cities throughout the United States way before the days of accessible photography. I actually went to do some research at the Curt Teich archives in Wauconda, IL.

You can check out our project here: http://greetingstour.com

In no way am I claiming to be an originator of this large letter style. I am just actively practicing the craft just like any other sign painter or graffiti artist would do their work. I try to add my original twist to it by painting this using spray paint as the medium and painting them on a large scale. At the end of the day, these are public art murals that involve the community. This isn't a replica of an existing postcard (like the mural that Austin is known for.) The lettering is all original (not a font) and we try to use our own photographs for reference as well.

We warmly welcome the debate as we are always open to hearing the opinions of others! After all, if the artwork creates a conversation, then we feel that we have done our job.

Feel free to contact us at: greetingstour@gmail.com

Posted on: 2015/9/22 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
The earliest postcards that have this type of design goes back to the 1930's. Salinas CA., Missouri, USA, Michigan, Miami Beach, etc. A design that anyone can use since the copyright has expired. No one can claim to have originated this design unless you are 90+.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1930%2 ... &biw=1353&bih=772#imgrc=_

Posted on: 2015/9/21 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/9/21 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
"I" "believe" "the" "original" "artist" "was" "Richard Prince".

Posted on: 2015/9/21 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I was inspired to finally get an avatar! Whatcha' think?

Looks pretty cool. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Except that, in this case, you lack my intellect, creativity and awesomeness, so you are just another mediocre loser trying to shine by borrowing someone else's sparkle. Don't worry, you are not the first, and you will not be the last.

Ha! I guess you are intent on proving my point... Your lack of intellect is on dull display by the conclusion you reach based on what I wrote. But, this is getting boring. Obviously, you seem be the ONLY ONE that holds the bizarre opinion that an artist drawing inspiration from the same idea from which another artist has drawn inspiration is somehow plagiarism or misappropriation.

You miss my point. I never used the words"plagiarism" or "misappropriation". I don't think re-recycling vintage imagery is illegal, I don't think that once a concept is visited by one artist, no other artists can touch it. Its possible the guy selling these new prints has NEVER HEARD OF the Hoboken artist and arrived independently at the idea to use the retro imagery and thats fine! The point made earlier that the Hoboken artist was ALSO borrowing from existing imagery is a VALID POINT but in my opinion a creative artist should try to move the ball farther down the field rather than simply walking precisely in the footsteps of another artist. So if the people selling these new prints were aware of the Hoboken artists work, that would, in my opinion, make them more "business people" rather than "artists". But if, as is possible, they were unaware of the Hoboken Artist's work, then they are above reproach and I would like to apologize to them if my participation in this thread makes them frown. But maybe on the other hand its better they know about the work of the Hoboken artist, if they were unaware of it before. In general I am happy about the sale of any artwork that celebrates Jersey City. People should buy the art, and they should CERTAINLY buy local art! Artists need the support and people need the culture.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:

Looks pretty cool. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Except that, in this case, you lack my intellect, creativity and awesomeness, so you are just another mediocre loser trying to shine by borrowing someone else's sparkle. Don't worry, you are not the first, and you will not be the last.

Ha! I guess you are intent on proving my point... Your lack of intellect is on dull display by the conclusion you reach based on what I wrote. But, this is getting boring. Obviously, you seem be the ONLY ONE that holds the bizarre opinion that an artist drawing inspiration from the same idea from which another artist has drawn inspiration is somehow plagiarism or misappropriation.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
it is a bit dodgy to be knocking off a local artist who has been doing this sort of work, here in Hudson County, for so many years. Regardless of the original source material.

I don't see why working in Hudson County gives you exclusivity over someone else's design.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:

Looks like you're saying that a person who copies another persons imagery is " just another mediocre loser trying to shine by borrowing someone else's sparkle."
Its not how I would have put it, but I do think the person knocking off the postcard art does fall short of being exemplary.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/21 0:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/1 21:19
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
what's all the butt-hurt about?

An artist is doing a cross-country tour painting "Greetings From" murals in different cities. Jersey City happened to be one of the cities. Stop whining.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/20 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Look at it this way: if a person in Hoboken has an act where they dress as batman and play the trombone, and they have been at it since 1990-something, I'm going to find it a little less than original when someone in Jersey City starts doing it. Neither of them invented Batman or the trombone, but one of them HAS BEEN DOING IT for fifteen or twenty years in the next town over.

Your analogy attempt fails... Putting together two distinct, non-original ideas to create a new one that IS original is actually protected by the law. The concept of a Batman playing the trombone IS an original idea, and anyone else doing it after that person is indeed copying him.

A better analogy would be to say "a guy walks around costumed as Batman, for 15 years, and then another starts doing the same a town over". Not so appalling now, right?

Posted on: 2015/9/20 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Look at it this way: if a person in Hoboken has an act where they dress as batman and play the trombone, and they have been at it since 1990-something, I'm going to find it a little less than original when someone in Jersey City starts doing it. Neither of them invented Batman or the trombone, but one of them HAS BEEN DOING IT for fifteen or twenty years in the next town over.

Posted on: 2015/9/20 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is AWESOME. So, a guy artist in Hoboken has been doing something inspired by some idea, but now a supporter of his is taking offense at some other artist drawing inspiration from the same idea. So, this can all be boiled down to "only one copycat allowed!"

Posted on: 2015/9/20 2:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/1 21:19
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/20 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Why does original source material only matter for one artist and not the other?? I doubt the local artist you are referring to would even care since it's pretty safe to assume he already knows this isn't an original design.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
it is a bit dodgy to be knocking off a local artist who has been doing this sort of work, here in Hudson County, for so many years. Regardless of the original source material.

If your friend did not create the original design or has a copyright to that design he cannot claim he was the original source of that design. I think that design is in the public domain.

http://www.allposters.com/-st/State-Greetings-Posters_c57216_.htm

Posted on: 2015/9/19 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/19 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone claim originality on the "greetings from.." motif? Although iconic I don't think anyone assumed Bruce Springsteen's "Greetings from Asbury Park" album cover was breaking the mold. It's a vintage design that a lot of artists play around with.

Posted on: 2015/9/18 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

There is a prominent Hoboken artist named Ray Smith who has been doing work EXACTLY like this for DECADES.
It strikes me as very odd that in this link there is a quote from the artist but the artist's name is not mentioned. I HOPE it is Mr Smith behind this after all?

Posted on: 2015/9/18 20:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/15 22:15
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
bump

Posted on: 2015/9/16 15:05

Greetings From Jersey City Gicleé Prints

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/15 22:15
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

GV will now operate as a formal art gallery to showcase and sell works from artists we support. Debuting at this past weekend?s #DemolitionExhibition the Greetings Tour print will now be available online or can be purchased and picked up at our office inside Mana Contemporary (#412).

From the Artists:

For this postcard mural, we referenced an original large letter postcard from NJ from the late 40's. The imagery within the letters is a mix of classic and modern elements of Jersey City. All of the 'Greetings From' murals are created large scale in spray paint in the scale of a postcard and professionally photographed by the artists. Th Jersey City piece in particular was the inaugural mural outside of NYC to kick off the countrywide mural tour. The proceeds from these prints will go to supporting the self-funded project and help them create more murals throughout the United States!

J ? Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal
E ? Holland Tunnel
R ? The PATH Train
S ? Filipino / Indian flags
E ? Loew?s Theater
Y ? Jersey City Downtown Skyline

C ? Colgate Clock
I ? Statue of Liberty
T ? Liberty Science Center
Y ? KAWS Tribute

Buy Print Now

Posted on: 2015/7/1 13:58