Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Hipster vandalizing Charles & Co. caught on tape
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Glad I could help.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Can your editors help people understand the psychological traits within themselves that lead them to being so concerned, offended, and vocal about the inclusion or omission of race in a news story?

Pot meet kettle..

That?s excellent point, papadage. An understanding of my own psychological traits in combination with my life experience indeed plays a strong role in my attitude toward issues involving race.

It has also given me very good insight into the conscious and unconscious motivating factors behind racism and racist speech, as well the ability to easily recognize coded racism for what it is. Unfortunately, there are many people for whom all of this is a mystery.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
If you're this concerned that not reporting the race of suspects is unfair to white people, you have to take that up with the editors.

Can your editors help people understand the psychological traits within themselves that lead them to being so concerned, offended, and vocal about the inclusion or omission of race in a news story?

Pot meet kettle..

Posted on: 2015/6/25 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
If you're this concerned that not reporting the race of suspects is unfair to white people, you have to take that up with the editors.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

That's just a cop out from answering the question posed about any official or unofficial policy regarding the publishing of a person's race in JJ articles. While yes it may in fact be the responsibility of the editors to determine what gets published they surely provide feedback to you from time to time so that they have to make fewer edits in the future. What does that feedback indicate when it comes to the posed policy question vis-?-vis race reporting.

Don't intend it to be a cop-out. The conversation is really about our company's policy and I'm not a company spokesman. I also don't create our policies. I initially wrote that the apparent vandal in the Silverman graffiti story is white but users here are right that that is not our policy, so I changed it. If you're this concerned that not reporting the race of suspects is unfair to white people, you have to take that up with the editors.

Some unsolicited advice.. Don't give much weight to feedback received here. This is a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't crowd, as they say. No one here will ever be happy. On a site note, I do appreciate your articles for JJ, especially on development topics.

Yeah, don't worry. We'll figure out whether it was you or your bosses being hypocritical.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 18:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/23 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
As mentioned earlier barcade doesn't sell pbr.
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

That's just a cop out from answering the question posed about any official or unofficial policy regarding the publishing of a person's race in JJ articles. While yes it may in fact be the responsibility of the editors to determine what gets published they surely provide feedback to you from time to time so that they have to make fewer edits in the future. What does that feedback indicate when it comes to the posed policy question vis-?-vis race reporting.

Don't intend it to be a cop-out. The conversation is really about our company's policy and I'm not a company spokesman. I also don't create our policies. I initially wrote that the apparent vandal in the Silverman graffiti story is white but users here are right that that is not our policy, so I changed it. If you're this concerned that not reporting the race of suspects is unfair to white people, you have to take that up with the editors.

Some unsolicited advice.. Don't give much weight to feedback received here. This is a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't crowd, as they say. No one here will ever be happy. On a site note, I do appreciate your articles for JJ, especially on development topics.

I don't think or feel that your observation is correct. Some of us took offense to the uneven application of a policy that seems arbitrary. I really don't care if the criminal in this article was white, brown or black. I am a minority, but I think it *is* helpful to point out obvious identifying traits when reporting crime stories. If it isn't OK to mention a given criminal is of a given race or has a given skin color, then it shouldn't be OK to do so when doing any crime reporting.

To Terrence: I didn't intend to pick on you, or your reporting. As others have mentioned, your articles are among the best at the JJ. I was just pointing out what seemed like a hypocritical application of the policy regarding race or skin color when reporting the news.

The police is asking for help in trying to find the guy. Of course it makes sense to include details of his physical characteristics to help identify him, IMO.

It would be different if they already caught the guy. There there would be no need to advertise his race/religion/creed or whatever else we use to divide ourselves.

I will personally buy a round of PBRs for fellow JClisters at Barcade when they catch this guy to celebrate! Serious invitation with the condition that no one brings any CCTV or other cameras. hahaha

Posted on: 2015/6/25 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

I don't think or feel that your observation is correct. Some of us took offense to the uneven application of a policy that seems arbitrary. I really don't care if the criminal in this article was white, brown or black. I am a minority, but I think it *is* helpful to point out obvious identifying traits when reporting crime stories. If it isn't OK to mention a given criminal is of a given race or has a given skin color, then it shouldn't be OK to do so when doing any crime reporting.

To Terrence: I didn't intend to pick on you, or your reporting. As others have mentioned, your articles are among the best at the JJ. I was just pointing out what seemed like a hypocritical application of the policy regarding race or skin color when reporting the news.

The police is asking for help in trying to find the guy. Of course it makes sense to include details of his physical characteristics to help identify him, IMO.

It would be different if they already caught the guy. There there would be no need to advertise his race/religion/creed or whatever else we use to divide ourselves.

I will personally buy a round of PBRs for fellow JClisters at Barcade when they catch this guy to celebrate! Serious invitation with the condition that no one brings any CCTV or other cameras. hahaha

Posted on: 2015/6/25 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Thanks!

I don't mind responding to feedback, from fans or critics.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

No offense taken, really. I shouldn't have weighed in at all ? this legitimately is an issue for the editors to discuss with anyone unhappy about it.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/25 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/25 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/25 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Terrence, does the JJ have a written policy regarding when they will mention a criminal suspect's race? You seem to be implying when there is a picture of the suspect, the article will say it. As others have mentioned, this doesn't seem accurate. But if that is your stated policy then I assume we will have consistency.

For consistency's sake I removed that he is white. I presume this will end the controversy here.

I can only speak for myself, but I did not care that you said he was white. I think the reason you are seeing this reaction is that folks simply want to see a stated policy that is consistently and evenly applied.

In other words, no double standards.

Again, speaking for myself, l would prefer that race always be mentioned if available. This is how it's always been done and I see no reason not to include it if available. Plus it would help to identify and catch the suspect in the admittedly small chance someone spots him.

But applying the same standard to everyone is what's fair.

This is a really a conversation for my editors. Anyone who cares about this should reach out to them.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
RLS Media usually has faster news (that I see on Facebook) and usually report what they get from the Police-which often have race noted. I'm guessing that other outlets decide to edit out this information when they report the same thing. Is it political correctness at work? I'd have to say yes.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Understood. Also, please don't take my comments the wrong way. For what it's worth I think you are the best reporter at the JJ.

Not taken the wrong way -- thank you!

Posted on: 2015/6/25 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Terrence, does the JJ have a written policy regarding when they will mention a criminal suspect's race? You seem to be implying when there is a picture of the suspect, the article will say it. As others have mentioned, this doesn't seem accurate. But if that is your stated policy then I assume we will have consistency.

For consistency's sake I removed that he is white. I presume this will end the controversy here.

I can only speak for myself, but I did not care that you said he was white. I think the reason you are seeing this reaction is that folks simply want to see a stated policy that is consistently and evenly applied.

Again, speaking for myself, l would prefer that race always be mentioned if available. This is how it's always been done and I see no reason not to include it if available. Plus it would help to identify and catch the suspect in the admittedly small chance someone spots him.

This is a really a conversation for my editors. Anyone who cares about this should reach out to them.

Understood. Also, please don't take my comments the wrong way. For what it's worth I think you are the best reporter at the JJ.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/25 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/25 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I presume this will end the controversy here.

LMAO nothing will stop the whiners

No whining. The JJ and the author have been caught applying a double standard.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I presume this will end the controversy here.

LMAO nothing will stop the whiners

Posted on: 2015/6/25 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/25 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

The alleged vandal is a white male with a thin build, dark hair and a beard. .

I thought the Jersey Journal does not mention/guess race.

This is the PERFECT encapsulation of PC run amok: the Jersey Journal will go out of their way to avoid stating the race or skin color of a criminal that happens to be a minority or non-white, but don't use the same standard/restraint when it comes to someone who happens to be white. Hypocrisy at its finest.

As someone else pointed out, there are pictures of this guy. There's no point leaving his race out of it when the pictures in the story show what it is.

Also, how about when the victim describes the suspect's race to the police? If he/she describes the perp as white, will you print that? What about if the criminals are described as black?

I suspect the JJ doesn't have any written policies precisely so they have the leeway to be inconsistent in the application of race descriptions to push an agenda and avoid furthering "negative stereotypes."

Posted on: 2015/6/25 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Yeah for all we know that could be a high yellow Negro.

Ha! If that had been Michael Jackson, I do wonder what race or skin color they would have stated...

Posted on: 2015/6/25 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah for all we know that could be a high yellow Negro.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

This is the PERFECT encapsulation of PC run amok: the Jersey Journal will go out of their way to avoid stating the race or skin color of a criminal that happens to be a minority or non-white, but don't use the same standard/restraint when it comes to someone who happens to be white. Hypocrisy at its finest.

As someone else pointed out, there are pictures of this guy. There's no point leaving his race out of it when the pictures in the story show what it is.

Nice non-explanation. But, you are being disingenuous. There have been MANY instances of stories in nj.com / JJ that feature criminals caught on tape, yet race or skin color is not mentioned. Surely you can tell *something* about the criminals from those videos or pictures, yet you (or, your editors) choose what to leave out or include. It would be much more honest to if you were to at least admit your own policies / standards are unevenly applied.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 14:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
This guy looks a lot more like a beatnik teacher type than a hipster

Posted on: 2015/6/25 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

Posted on: 2015/6/25 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

This is too funny... The reality is that they do use the same "restraint" when labeling white perpetrators. We had a thread where a whole host of our usual race-baiters were clamoring for the black criminal to be outed and it turned out to be a white guy.

The fact is, they have an actual photo this time and are now able to provide some real description of the person.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 13:18
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

BobNesta wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I can't believe it.

I'm at a bar right now, and a guy with a beard wearing skinny jeans sits down and orders a PBR. I swear he looks very similar to the photos on NJ.com. He caught me staring and we just finished an odd conversation. It's probably not him but unfucking believable if it is. Has a reward like been setup yet?? Lol.

I'm near Newark Penn by the way.

Take photos of him with your smartphone and post it on here.

I thought of that, but I don't want to shame someone innocent. Then I would be as big a fool as him. Again, it's probably not him, but I did take a double take.

Yeah I was kidding. What if it was a marketing stunt? Perhaps the brokers for the building?

Posted on: 2015/6/25 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BobNesta wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I can't believe it.

I'm at a bar right now, and a guy with a beard wearing skinny jeans sits down and orders a PBR. I swear he looks very similar to the photos on NJ.com. He caught me staring and we just finished an odd conversation. It's probably not him but unfucking believable if it is. Has a reward like been setup yet?? Lol.

I'm near Newark Penn by the way.

Take photos of him with your smartphone and post it on here.

I thought of that, but I don't want to shame someone innocent. Then I would be as big a fool as him. Again, it's probably not him, but I did take a double take.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 1:59

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017