Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cami Anderson, Picked by Christie, Is Out as Newark Schools Superintendent
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop's main man would be so pro-charter?? Fulop's buddy in Newark, Ras Baraka, HATED Cami and not only opposed all her pro-kid and pro-parent choice decisions, but badmouthed her on her exit.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
A friend in the "know" said Cami is starting a non-profit groups on charter schools and Muhammad Akil is working with her, the reason he left city hall.

If she is partnering with Akil she must truly be an idiot.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
A friend in the "know" said Cami is starting a non-profit groups on charter schools and Muhammad Akil is working with her, the reason he left city hall.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Sigh. Pebble, a $5 million dollar Innovation Fund, spread around all of NJ, at every school level, is part of the school funding formula-you're wrong.

http://www.nj.gov/education/stateaid/1213/report.pdf

I linked to that report.

The 2013 link I provided clarified this further. As you can see, there are lots of means by which schools can request funds. As for "spread around all of NJ" isn't fully true. Not all schools can apply. As an example, your 99% graduation rate cannot apply for this grant as there is no way for it to have a large enough jump in graduation rates.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 14:17
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sigh. Pebble, a $5 million dollar Innovation Fund, spread around all of NJ, at every school level, is part of the school funding formula-you're wrong.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
local huge reductions in drop out rates were claimed, but that coincided with changing the method computed/counted/data system.

though, I would like to believe graduation rates mean something, but dramatic reductions overnight are hard to believe.

High school graduation means almost nothing now. This is what conservative legislature has lead to. Creativity is gone. It has been tested out.

I've stepped in classrooms in various countries and talked to teachers about their plans and goals. Pathetically, we're turning into China...

Posted on: 2015/6/23 21:20
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Again, Pebble, if graduation rates were part of the comprehensive plan in school funding (on the positive side), it ain't there. The schools with the worst rates get the most money. Failure gets rewarded, success mostly gets you screwed. The NJEA would probably oppose that anyway, like they oppose paying great teachers more money.

You asked for evidence and I provided it. Now that you have it, you claim that the money isn't enough after not fully reading and understanding the document.

The NJEA doesn't "oppose paying great teachers more money." That is a flat out lie. I don't believe that you believe it anything more than to use it as a catch phrase.

It's a fact, as proven by those links and with conversations with those in the actual profession, that schools receive funding in part due to graduation rates. If you would like to choose not to believe it, that's fine. That doesn't mean it isn't happening...

Posted on: 2015/6/23 21:16
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Again, Pebble, if graduation rates were part of the comprehensive plan in school funding (on the positive side), it ain't there. The schools with the worst rates get the most money. Failure gets rewarded, success mostly gets you screwed. The NJEA would probably oppose that anyway, like they oppose paying great teachers more money.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
local huge reductions in drop out rates were claimed, but that coincided with changing the method computed/counted/data system.

though, I would like to believe graduation rates mean something, but dramatic reductions overnight are hard to believe.

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
In her four years Newark graduation rates rose from 56 to 70%.

After learning some of the ins-and-outs of how these rates were achieved, I put absolutely zero stock in them. The question should really be whether or not those that are now graduating have the tools to take the next steps in life. Graduation rates mean absolutely nothing.

Nothing I wrote there states that she did a bad job. I'm only quibbling with the concept of graduation rates being a quantifier of success.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I hate to tell you, but a $5 million dollar fund that gets spread around all the grades and school systems in the state, and only a portion of may be applied to schools with improved high school graduation rates-well, that's a non-example.

There are about 60 school systems just in Bergen County. Let's say there are just four elementary schools, one middle, and one high school (it's more). That's 360 schools just in one county. How far will that total dollar amount go toward those schools?

So, no, high school graduation rates have no measurable effect on school funding.

If you read the link, you'd know that of the 60 schools in Bergen County, just about none are able to apply for the fund. You have to meet a certain criteria, of which the Newark schools do. Jersey City schools, also meet this.

Obviously, you haven't seen that this is a determining factor for budgets previously. However, I can assure you that this is something discussed among the teachers. They've covered the topics at the yearly teachers conventions and it's covered at BoE meetings.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 19:35
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hate to tell you, but a $5 million dollar fund that gets spread around all the grades and school systems in the state, and only a portion of may be applied to schools with improved high school graduation rates-well, that's a non-example.

There are about 60 school systems just in Bergen County. Let's say there are just four elementary schools, one middle, and one high school (it's more). That's 360 schools just in one county. How far will that total dollar amount go toward those schools?

So, no, high school graduation rates have no measurable effect on school funding.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pebble, please show me a link, any link, that talks about school funding is linked (in a positive way) to higher graduation rates. Because across NJ the schools with the highest graduation rates are the ones getting screwed with lack of state aid. Thanks in advance.

I fail to see how the "schools with the highest graduation rates" have been getting screwed.

Should these schools, which have smaller classrooms, more involved parents, etc. be getting more at the expense of a child that lives in a household that has no money to provide breakfast? Those children are already starting out ahead of the curve purely having been born in a home that values education. Should we really be handing those with the means even more? Personally, I'd prefer that we not produce an environment that breeds criminals.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 18:58
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pebble, please show me a link, any link, that talks about school funding is linked (in a positive way) to higher graduation rates. Because across NJ the schools with the highest graduation rates are the ones getting screwed with lack of state aid. Thanks in advance.

These are links provided to state websites:
2012 Documnt

?First, a portion would be used to provide financial awards to the highest-performing districts and schools as determined by the Department of Education. For example, awards might be given to the elementary school that achieved the biggest one year increase in third grade literacy for disadvantaged students, the district with the largest improvement in its attendance rate, or the high school with the biggest jump in its graduation rate.?

2013 Release of information
http://www.state.nj.us/education/news/2013/0228aid.htm
?The Education Innovation Fund
As part of Governor Christie's continued commitment to creating high quality school options for all students, the budget provides $5 million for an Education Innovation Fund to incent innovation and reward success. The Fund will be used in two ways. First, a portion will be used to provide financial awards to schools and districts that have addressed achievement challenges. For example, awards might be given to the elementary school that achieved the biggest one year increase in third grade literacy for disadvantaged students, the district with the largest improvement in its attendance rate, or the high school with the biggest jump in its graduation rate.
The remaining portion of the fund would provide resources to districts and schools that develop innovative solutions to address defined problem areas, such as low graduation rates, poor-performing special education students, or low scores in fourth grade mathematics. The Department would fund the best reforms and monitor their implementation and impact, ultimately identifying and bringing the most efficacious to scale statewide.?

These policies have been in place and are conceptually sound but practically flawed. As I noted before, all that has been created is a devaluation of the degree obtained.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 18:52
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/23 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
As we've seen in the recent pissing match between the JC charter and public schools, extra funding is much more closely tied to students that need ESL, are from low income families and get food support, and if they are kids that need IEP's. If what you suggest is true cities like Asbury Park (with a below 50%! graduation rate) wouldn't have per student spending that is the highest in the state.

As I said before, it's not solely tied to graduation rates but percentages are determined by it (large percentages). It's possible that Asbury gets money through other routes to compensate for their low graduation rates.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 16:40
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Good for Cami!!! Given how ungrateful Newark and its children have been regarding her efforts it's about time she said sayonara to them all. Let that city stew in its own filthy education system while Cami takes her talents elsewhere. I'm happy for her. And I'm happy for Newark too. That city absolutely should get the crappy education system it deserves. Cami would have just stood in the way of that.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As we've seen in the recent pissing match between the JC charter and public schools, extra funding is much more closely tied to students that need ESL, are from low income families and get food support, and if they are kids that need IEP's. If what you suggest is true cities like Asbury Park (with a below 50%! graduation rate) wouldn't have per student spending that is the highest in the state.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Funding for schools is tied to graduation rates? More grads more money? I know you live in NJ, but you don't know anything about education funding.

Newark gets a billion dollars a year from the state, towards a 70% graduation rate. The Abbott program was set up to send MORE money to schools with less graduation percentage.

My high school graduates 99% and gets a pittance of state aid.

Monroe, I know a great deal about funding. I'm intimately familiar due to a good number of connections in field of education.

There are more factors than just graduation rates, but in districts that take more funds from the state, graduation rates definitely play a rather large role. It is also an absolute fact that they have implemented the make-up system in which a child can take a month off of school and make it up within a few hours after school.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 15:07
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Funding for schools is tied to graduation rates? More grads more money? I know you live in NJ, but you don't know anything about education funding.

Newark gets a billion dollars a year from the state, towards a 70% graduation rate. The Abbott program was set up to send MORE money to schools with less graduation percentage.

My high school graduates 99% and gets a pittance of state aid.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The entrenched teachers unions hated Cami and all reform.

This is an out-and-out lie.

There are things that the teachers union is in favor of and there are things that it isn't. Claiming they hate "all reform" is baseless and merely a strawman built for hammering them.

I've listened to watch teachers have to say on the reforms proposed. Many understand the design and reasoning behind the thought processes the problem is in the unintended consequences that occur because of it.

Here's a simple example:
The funding for schools are based on graduation rates. If you graduate more students, you get more money. In theory, this rewards better schools with their performance. However, what happens when students learn that they really control whether or not the district receives more money?

Believe it or not, there are students that are smart enough to game the system. They really don't want to attend class and they simply don't show up to school. This will lead to failure and drop-out. The school recognizes this and they see that they won't get the funds. As such, they implement a "make-up" schedule. Essentially, the student skips a month of classes but can stay after school for 4 days and magically it is all made up.

Now, you tell me... Did Cami improve the students' learning or did she just improve the graduation rate?

The "merit" pay goes off of statistics and numbers. It is an attempt at quantifying a qualifier. Teachers were given an incentive to just push students through because they'd make more money doing that then challenging students.

Claming that she's some reformer that was successful at obtaining her goals belies some of the negative that came with her changes.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 14:50
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The left loves to embrace 'progressive reformers', but Cami gets railroaded-because she was an education progressive reformer which is a no-no. Charter schools, merit pay for great teachers, completion of the Newark Teachers Village, parental school choice. The entrenched teachers unions hated Cami and all reform.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

After learning some of the ins-and-outs of how these rates were achieved, I put absolutely zero stock in them. The question should really be whether or not those that are now graduating have the tools to take the next steps in life. Graduation rates mean absolutely nothing.

Nothing I wrote there states that she did a bad job. I'm only quibbling with the concept of graduation rates being a quantifier of success.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 13:33
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Well, results be damned!! Wrong skin color (despite having a biracial baby) and her refusal to "kiss the ring" and kowtow to community "leaders" was her undoing. It's a shame that these self-appointed community "reformers" and "leaders" are so morally corrupt that they openly refuse to even consider a new idea that were not borne out of their own clique or circle of advisers. But, as the saying goes, "beware what you wish for..." Her presumed replacement comes from the same philosophy/background and will likely end up proposing similar ideas that will invariable get those self-appointed leaders riled up.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/23 11:29

Cami Anderson, Picked by Christie, Is Out as Newark Schools Superintendent
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By KATE ZERNIKEJUNE 22, 2015

Cami Anderson, the superintendent of the Newark public school system who became a lightning rod in the debate over education reform in New Jersey and nationally, resigned on Monday, eight months before her contract was to expire.

An adviser and longtime friend to former Mayor Cory A. Booker and appointed by Gov. Chris Christie, Ms. Anderson had been hounded by protests from students, parents and local leaders for more than a year. She had feuded openly with the city?s populist new mayor, Ras J. Baraka, a former high school principal who was elected last year on a promise to return Newark ? and its schools, which have been under state control for 20 years ? to Newarkers.

Resized Image

Ms. Anderson was appointed in 2011, just as a $100 million grant from the Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg had set up the long-troubled school district ? the state?s largest, with some of the nation?s most disadvantaged children ? to become a national model for change. Ms. Anderson, 43, used some of that money to establish merit-based pay in a teachers? contract that was hailed even by national unions as a groundbreaking compromise.

Story

Posted on: 2015/6/23 11:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017