Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Anti-gentrification activist
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
It's been a while since I've posted here or looked around much, particularly since the search function no longer seems to work. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything of Devyn Manibo's anti-gentrification "campaign" lately, did it ever gain any traction?

Her anti-gentrification website is gone and they seem to keep gentrifying Jersey City, so I guess it was a flop.

I never heard so much nonsense from one person, other than perhaps our current President, talking about all the hipsters "invading her neighborhood" as if it was hers to take, among other things. There were people on this thread claiming to know her or who had met her, was wondering if she realized how silly the whole thing was.

Posted on: 2019/8/8 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
I think our "activist" is back on the anti-gentrification warpath.

Today Curbed featured a bland profile of (mostly downtown) JC's best-kept secrets offered up by a Barcade employee who has lived in town for three years.

It's much the same as several other puff pieces in recent years selling the merits of DTJC to the Curbed readership on the other side of the river - certainly nothing offensive in her observations.

Nonetheless, scroll on down to the comment section and take a read of the screed written by "RealJCNative1". Reads like the shrill ranting of the "JC Take it Back" girl that started this thread a few years back. And of course, she's still furious about the "colonizers" taking over her town.

Yawn.

Yeah so yawn-worthy you had to make an entire post about it. Who cares???

Posted on: 2017/1/13 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Today Curbed featured a bland profile of (mostly downtown) JC's best-kept secrets offered up by a Barcade employee who has lived in town for three years.

It's much the same as several other puff pieces in recent years selling the merits of DTJC to the Curbed readership on the other side of the river - certainly nothing offensive in her observations.

Nonetheless, scroll on down to the comment section and take a read of the screed written by "RealJCNative1". Reads like the shrill ranting of the "JC Take it Back" girl that started this thread a few years back. And of course, she's still furious about the "colonizers" taking over her town.

Yawn.

Ugh. "gingerbread delights"
And this is the problem with DT. It attracts the kind of person that would use this turn of phrase.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
From the story-'pizza loaf'? Jeez, you can get pizza bread at Pecoraro's/Antique around the corner ON Newark Avenue, you don't have to drove over to Newark the city to get it.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Yawn.

The commenter is an imbecile, but it seems odd to me to discuss the comment here, on another board, rather than replying directly to her.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 5:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Yawn.

Wonder what her "larger points" were? Seemed well-rounded to me.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Yawn.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
She does have a point about gentrification. When I first moved here in 1982, Fathers' Day was called Your Guess Is As Good As Mines Day.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Who wants to take one for team and get down there and take a wiff of jiff.

Quote:
Devyn Manibo is a full time diva and East Coast based interdisciplinary artist working primarily in multi-media installation with a basis in diasporic affect, kinship, queer narratives of home and trauma through a postcolonial/neocolonial lens. She creates and collaborates as a means of cultivating space for resistance, survival, and love for and by her communities. She believes in femme supremacy, and has a love for extravagance and the illusion of lavish. She can usually be found race raging, shade bending, and averting your settler colonialist gaze with a resting glare of displeasure.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I'm amazed at the attention this person is getting. Weren't we all clueless, self-important blowhards at that age?

Um no. I was enrolled in a useful major at a good college (or maybe I was in grad school already - can't recall her exact age), had a job, managed my own budget, and didn't expect to live in the best part of town when I couldn't afford it.

You have no idea what her expectations are, or whether she manages her own budget. You're just making stuff up because you've formed an opinion of her. I agree that she isn't making any sense on this subject (I won't even call it an "issue", cuz it's not), but stick to the facts.

I'm going off of what she herself has posted on various sites about herself (expensive liberal arts college, "artist" for a career, lists brunching as one of her hobbies, etc.) plus this campaign which makes no sense for someone of her background EXCEPT with the explanation provided.

In any event, she has abandoned this stupidity so whatever, at least she has seen the error of her ways and that is so much better than most of these people, so I'm done with this topic as well.

Somewhat ironically, people here were complaining about the attention she was receiving, yet it looks like this attention caused her to wise up, at least somewhat.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I'm amazed at the attention this person is getting. Weren't we all clueless, self-important blowhards at that age?

Um no. I was enrolled in a useful major at a good college (or maybe I was in grad school already - can't recall her exact age), had a job, managed my own budget, and didn't expect to live in the best part of town when I couldn't afford it.

You have no idea what her expectations are, or whether she manages her own budget. You're just making stuff up because you've formed an opinion of her. I agree that she isn't making any sense on this subject (I won't even call it an "issue", cuz it's not), but stick to the facts.

I'm going off of what she herself has posted on various sites about herself (expensive liberal arts college, "artist" for a career, lists brunching as one of her hobbies, etc.) plus this campaign which makes no sense for someone of her background EXCEPT with the explanation provided.

In any event, she has abandoned this stupidity so whatever, at least she has seen the error of her ways and that is so much better than most of these people, so I'm done with this topic as well.

Posted on: 2015/6/20 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Some of the barrage of criticism has clearly gotten through to her.

I just checked out the Tumblr page that started all this and the section inviting supporters to print out signs saying "Go home yuppie scum" and " Go eat brunch somewhere else" has been removed. You can still see the charming epithets in the JJ story, however.

Also deleted is the section where supporters could submit and post their own gentrification horror stories. So if nothing else she's learned two valuable lessons: 1) to be more cautious in using invective online, and 2) unmoderated poster boards attract trolls - as any JCLister can attest.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/19 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
She's hilarious, a comic cartoon. I hope she keeps it up just for grins and giggles.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
She's probably enjoying the attention, no one would pay attention to her if she had not said what she did. I doubt she is suffering.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
This isn't a girl working fast food growing up in project housing shutting down for some luxury condos complaining that her mama works 3 jobs and her and her mama will have trouble getting to work and school now. If that was her I would still be annoyed but would at least understand where she coming from.

I?m sorry that she hasn?t suffered enough for your taste, but at least you have company here.

The point isn't that "she isn't suffering enough." The point is that she doesn't necessarily have the right to live in the most expensive part of town.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
This isn't a girl working fast food growing up in project housing shutting down for some luxury condos complaining that her mama works 3 jobs and her and her mama will have trouble getting to work and school now. If that was her I would still be annoyed but would at least understand where she coming from.

I?m sorry that she hasn?t suffered enough for your taste, but at least you have company here.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
The only reason she's getting all this attention, and a rambling crazy homeless person is not, is because this reporter chose to write several articles about her.

FYI, I wrote one story about her and a colleague asked her opinion about the Silverman graffiti that seemed to be inspired by her.

That's fair. I saw that you wrote the second article about the graffiti and I remember someone here said they saw a media person interviewing her in front of the building so I assumed that was you.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Thank goodness Ms. Manibo can be dismissed as a hypocrite, because we all know that in order to recognize or address a phenomenon?which of course may only be categorized as strictly good or strictly bad?we have to be removed at great distance from it.

Now we can all rest assured that we?re not part of any complex socioeconomic problems, otherwise, who knows what our ego defenses might lead us to say.

I wouldn't call her hypocritical. Even the non-affluent can go to trendy bars - I do it all the time ; and its good to see young people trying to find their social consciousness and political voices, and taking a stand for an issue, even if they come across as self-important. This provided she genuinely cares about the impact of gentrification on people who have less privilege and fewer options than she does.

Hypocritical is slamming brunching gentrifiers for "ruining the place for people like her" when she herself was a gentrifier that attended an expensive liberal arts college (and not a very good one at that) and listed brunching as one of her hobbies. This isn't a girl working fast food growing up in project housing shutting down for some luxury condos complaining that her mama works 3 jobs and her and her mama will have trouble getting to work and school now. If that was her I would still be annoyed but would at least understand where she coming from.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
The only reason she's getting all this attention, and a rambling crazy homeless person is not, is because this reporter chose to write several articles about her.

FYI, I wrote one story about her and a colleague asked her opinion about the Silverman graffiti that seemed to be inspired by her.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Think you are right. A large number of folks coming out of college are contrarian militant idealists until they start waking up to the responsibilities of real life. In Ms Manibo's case - she learned the slogans - but not the substance.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Thank goodness Ms. Manibo can be dismissed as a hypocrite, because we all know that in order to recognize or address a phenomenon?which of course may only be categorized as strictly good or strictly bad?we have to be removed at great distance from it.

Now we can all rest assured that we?re not part of any complex socioeconomic problems, otherwise, who knows what our ego defenses might lead us to say.

I wouldn't call her hypocritical. Even the non-affluent can go to trendy bars - I do it all the time ; and its good to see young people trying to find their social consciousness and political voices, and taking a stand for an issue, even if they come across as self-important. This provided she genuinely cares about the impact of gentrification on people who have less privilege and fewer options than she does.

But she is sanctimonious in a way that puts people off, even die-hard liberals like myself. I read a few of the essays linked from her college web-page - they leaned so heavily on feminist and other esoteric social theory, that it was hard to envision her being able to move past the pat sloganizing, to effectively advocating for ways to counter gentrification. Back in the day when I was involved with ACT UP we didn't only wheat-paste flyers (old school predecessor to online blogging, for you youngsters), we had sit-ins, we educated ourselves on policy, we met with elected officials.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
She was on channel 9's Chasing NJ last night, and Chaser Hank Flynn slam dunked her on being priced out of JC-he told her to move to Greenville, there are lots of edgy, affordable apartments there!

Do you recall what her response was? I'm legit curious what she said to that.

"But there are scary people there!"

"But I can't brun... oh, wait"

"That was a microagression"

"But I DESERVE to live here!"

She was interviewed by Chaser Tamara, Hank slammed her in the commentary after her piece ran.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/18 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Same here. Clueless yes, blowhard no. I briefly lived near JSQ when it still had its "Urinal Square" reputation.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/18 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/18 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
She was on channel 9's Chasing NJ last night, and Chaser Hank Flynn slam dunked her on being priced out of JC-he told her to move to Greenville, there are lots of edgy, affordable apartments there!

Do you recall what her response was? I'm legit curious what she said to that.

"But there are scary people there!"

"But I can't brun... oh, wait"

"That was a microagression"

"But I DESERVE to live here!"

Posted on: 2015/6/18 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/18 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

That might be legitimate if a few things were applicable:
1. She acknowledges her status as a gentrifier from an earlier period of time.
2. She engages in some actual analysis of the issue and engages in an intellectual conversation rather than just declaring that it is bad and trying to rile up people against the evil gentrifiers (even though see point 1).

None of that is the case and this wasn't an intellectual effort to engage in a conversation or tackle a "complex social issue."

Posted on: 2015/6/18 15:05

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017