Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Anti-gentrification activist
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Thank goodness Ms. Manibo can be dismissed as a hypocrite, because we all know that in order to recognize or address a phenomenon?which of course may only be categorized as strictly good or strictly bad?we have to be removed at great distance from it.

Now we can all rest assured that we?re not part of any complex socioeconomic problems, otherwise, who knows what our ego defenses might lead us to say.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 12:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
She's been my son's friend since pre-school. A sweet and funny person. The trash talk isn't so amusing when you know the object of it.

I'm sure people say the same thing about Leslie Van Houten......

Posted on: 2015/6/18 4:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
One thing that I find really obnoxious about modern culture is the ever increasing age at which we make people responsible for their actions. Alexander the Great conquered half the western world starting age 16 and died at all of 33, but now we can't hold people in their 20s responsible for publicly making jackasses of themselves and riling up criminal elements? And we have to accept that 35 is the new age that we start holding people responsible for things they say and do? Really? How about this - unless you're a legit child (and I mean 5 years old, not 16 or 18 or whatever), if you do incredibly stupid things in public you're going to face some sort of culpability. Maybe not physically tarred and feathered, as was done in the "good old days", but the online equivalence thereof, which includes people on forums like this one laughing at you. And years from now when people Google your name they will see your idiocy on display, so you may not want that. If you don't like then then mind your own business.

Gotta agree. Had to stop reading "Into the Wild" because the author kept referring to this 20 something man as a "boy". In his case Darwin took care of the problem, but people held up an obvious psychotic break as a "spiritual journey". At least this girl's mistake didn't end in capital punishment.

Difference is, the mistake was realized in the case you are discussing. Here, many toxic elements of society will egg her on, and I bet she feels fully justified in her hypocritical immaturity.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
One thing that I find really obnoxious about modern culture is the ever increasing age at which we make people responsible for their actions. Alexander the Great conquered half the western world starting age 16 and died at all of 33, but now we can't hold people in their 20s responsible for publicly making jackasses of themselves and riling up criminal elements? And we have to accept that 35 is the new age that we start holding people responsible for things they say and do? Really? How about this - unless you're a legit child (and I mean 5 years old, not 16 or 18 or whatever), if you do incredibly stupid things in public you're going to face some sort of culpability. Maybe not physically tarred and feathered, as was done in the "good old days", but the online equivalence thereof, which includes people on forums like this one laughing at you. And years from now when people Google your name they will see your idiocy on display, so you may not want that. If you don't like then then mind your own business.

Gotta agree. Had to stop reading "Into the Wild" because the author kept referring to this 20 something man as a "boy". In his case Darwin took care of the problem, but people held up an obvious psychotic break as a "spiritual journey". At least this girl's mistake didn't end in capital punishment.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
I'll chalk this all up to youthful indiscretion. Maturity is a slow process. I would argue you don't truly hit your stride until you're past the age of 35.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
She's been my son's friend since pre-school. A sweet and funny person. The trash talk isn't so amusing when you know the object of it.

She got her picture on nj.com and the Jersey Journal, she can show it to all her friends and relatives for years to come whether anything comes of her campaign or not.

I wouldn't like someone trash talking a friend of mine either, but it is bound to happen when you make yourself something of a public figure, as she did.

Also, what does she consider to be "yuppie scum" and if I fall into that category, where should I "go home" to, when I've lived in Jersey City for about 11 years and consider it my home now?

On the subject of telling us to "go eat brunch somewhere else", does she not want ANY restaurant in Jersey City (local or otherwise) to have customers that happen to be people who moved here since the gentrification? Restaurants have pretty low profit margins and they need every customer they can get. Would she rather all the restaurants have fewer customers and close down?

Seriously, I'm really confused about her campaign and she needs to think it through a little better, before there's more graffiti.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 21:41

Edited by caj11 on 2015/6/17 22:10:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/6/17 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

Can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

You don't get to make public ridiculous hypocritical, inflammatory, and infantile statements which directly incite criminal activity, and then hide behind a "sweet and funny personality" when people get upset.

Now if she took action to counter her previous immature actions, such as retracting everything, then that's a different matter.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I'll chalk this all up to youthful indiscretion. Maturity is a slow process. I would argue you don't truly hit your stride until you're past the age of 35.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
You know, I didn't read too much of her website but I did see that she is currently paying $4000 per month rent on her apartment that has tripled over the years. I don't like rent increases either, but does she understand the concept of supply and demand?

What if a residential landlord couldn't cover their debt service and other expenses with whatever the market would bear for the rents they were collecting? Should the people of Jersey City take up a collection for them? I didn't think so.

Before I get any flames, I am not a landlord, nor do I have any friends or relatives who are landlords, though I do have cousins out in Michigan who own a small rental property near their own home (but it's just one unit and does not represent their whole investment portfolio so even if it loses money, they'll be okay).

Posted on: 2015/6/17 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

Perhaps. But, you have to admit that she has invited much of the scorn and ridicule by her public actions and statements. She is 100% the epitome of what so many of us find irritating and annoying about this generation of "millennials": the self-centered, tone-deaf obliviousness that can only be espoused by a truly self-absorbed person that perceives himself as special and unique, and endowed with a gift that they must share with the rest of the world.

Well said.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

Perhaps. But, you have to admit that she has invited much of the scorn and ridicule by her public actions and statements. She is 100% the epitome of what so many of us find irritating and annoying about this generation of "millennials": the self-centered, tone-deaf obliviousness that can only be espoused by a truly self-absorbed person that perceives himself as special and unique, and endowed with a gift that they must share with the rest of the world.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
She's been my son's friend since pre-school. A sweet and funny person. The trash talk isn't so funny when you know the object of it.

She put herself out into the public sphere by publicly bashing a large portion of DTJC's population. Frankly, the discussion here is been pretty tame - few have gone after her appearance or taken other "low blows." Instead, she is being bashed pretty directly for her statements and the hypocrisy inherent in her comments, which appear to have directly inspired criminal acts. While you may find her "sweet and funny," that isn't the persona she has displayed by going after a large portion of DTJC.

If I were her, I would think this is a good time to print a retraction of her statements.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/17 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Caricature is the word. She is an almost flawless self-parody of what she's protesting. In fact, given the well-deserved scorn and ridicule she's attracted here, it wouldn't surprise me if for a second act she glibly insists that parody was her intention all along - and that we her tormentors have merely been participants in some sort of living interdisciplinary art installation or some other insufferably trite hipster pretentiousness.

I think you summed this up better than I did.

Yeah, I think we have a winner.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Caricature is the word. She is an almost flawless self-parody of what she's protesting. In fact, given the well-deserved scorn and ridicule she's attracted here, it wouldn't surprise me if for a second act she glibly insists that parody was her intention all along - and that we her tormentors have merely been participants in some sort of living interdisciplinary art installation or some other insufferably trite hipster pretentiousness.

I think you summed this up better than I did.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

justsomeperson wrote:
The "go have brunch somewhere else" person lists 'Brunch Parties' as an interest.

haha that's rich

Quote:

"Devyn Manibo is a full time diva and East Coast based interdisciplinary artist working primarily in multi-media installation with a basis in diasporic affect, kinship, queer narratives of home and trauma through a postcolonial/neocolonial lens. She creates and collaborates as a means of cultivating space for resistance, survival, and love for and by her communities. She believes in femme supremacy, and has a love for extravagance and the illusion of lavish. She can usually be found race raging, shade bending, and averting your settler colonialist gaze with a resting glare of displeasure.

Also, please read this Anti-oppression Link Round-up, especially if you're white. If you don't, you're gonna need to leave."
ohhhhhh my goodness. Hahahahaha. The irony. It's through the roof. It's unbelievable. I could work the wrinkles out of my clothes with that irony.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Quote:

justsomeperson wrote:

"Devyn Manibo is a full time diva and East Coast based interdisciplinary artist working primarily in multi-media installation with a basis in diasporic affect, kinship, queer narratives of home and trauma through a postcolonial/neocolonial lens. She creates and collaborates as a means of cultivating space for resistance, survival, and love for and by her communities. She believes in femme supremacy, and has a love for extravagance and the illusion of lavish. She can usually be found race raging, shade bending, and averting your settler colonialist gaze with a resting glare of displeasure.

Also, please read this Anti-oppression Link Round-up, especially if you're white. If you don't, you're gonna need to leave."

It's like she's a walking hipster liberal arts stereotype, nay, caricature. What a whole lot of crock of her own volition.

Her protesting gentrification is thus the ultimate irony. It's so ironic right now I'm turning rusty brown.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

justsomeperson wrote:

It's like she's a walking hipster liberal arts stereotype, nay, caricature. What a whole lot of crock of her own volition.

Her protesting gentrification is thus the ultimate irony. It's so ironic right now I'm turning rusty brown.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 14:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/12 19:52
From World Cup
Group:
Registered Users
This girl was born in 1993 or 94 so as others have pointed out she has lived half her life in a JC that's changing for the better.

It's funny that in the nj.com article ( http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... entrification_yellin.html ) she's at 9 Bar Cafe. I guess it's fine for her to hang out in such places but not 'yuppie scum'. I don't know the history of that place, was it there before the yuppies came?

Also, she's half pinay. A Filipina. When JC started getting a lot of Filipinos it displaced whomever was there before. Would she be OK if whatever (ethnic) group that was displaced started a "Go home Filipino scum" campaign?

If anything, this person would be ultra hipster scum. She goes to Hampshire College, an alternative education liberal arts college with no grades or GPAs.

https://hampedia.org/wiki/Devyn_Manibo

The "go have brunch somewhere else" person lists 'Brunch Parties' as an interest.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 14:31

Re: Grafitti at new building
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
30 days of solitary confinement would likely make the vandal see the error of his/her ways

There?s more wrong with what you typed than there is with tagging a building. Arson doesn?t even warrant your masochistic dream punishment.

No, I don't think he goes far enough, add tattooing "vandal" to the "taggers" forehead and we are getting there. Tagging is pure narcissism plus pure destruction of property. It's a message that says to the property owner "fuck you, you can't anything nice, I'll bring you down to my level of shit existence". FYI, spray paint soaks into raw stucco and can't be removed even by solvents and powerwashing.

Frankly, I like what Singapore planned to do with that spoiled brat who spray painted cars back in the 90s... Cane him until his ass falls off...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

My place got tagged twice recently. I really hate the vermin that do this.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
30 days of solitary confinement would likely make the vandal see the error of his/her ways

There?s more wrong with what you typed than there is with tagging a building. Arson doesn?t even warrant your masochistic dream punishment.

No, I don't think he goes far enough, add tattooing "vandal" to the "taggers" forehead and we are getting there. Tagging is pure narcissism plus pure destruction of property. It's a message that says to the property owner "fuck you, you can't anything nice, I'll bring you down to my level of shit existence". FYI, spray paint soaks into raw stucco and can't be removed even by solvents and powerwashing.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/16 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BobNesta wrote:
why the f*ck is anyone giving this idiot attention. she's a day late and a lot of dollars short. i wonder when her family colonized/settled JC... Does Terrence McDonald pull his writing topics directly from JClist?

Considering how much discussion the story started/continued, I think it's pretty silly to say this isn't worth attention.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BobNesta wrote:
why the f*ck is anyone giving this idiot attention. she's a day late and a lot of dollars short. i wonder when her family colonized/settled JC... Does Terrence McDonald pull his writing topics directly from JClist?

Her family gentrifiers? No, couldn't be! You might almost think she attended a pricey private liberal arts college or something like that!

Posted on: 2015/6/16 19:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/16 16:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/23 15:23
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
I saw her, Devin Manibo, being filmed this morning around 10AM with her back to the Silverman building. Probably some reaction about the graffiti. Didn't hear anything she was saying.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

ricky241 wrote:
Not sure which group is behind this or if its a bunch of irresponsible kids...but this is not a good way to deal with something one may not like.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... he_wall.html#incart_river

Already discussed in the 'Anti-gentrification activist' thread

Posted on: 2015/6/16 3:13

Grafitti at new building
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/18 4:10
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure which group is behind this or if its a bunch of irresponsible kids...but this is not a good way to deal with something one may not like.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... he_wall.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/6/15 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _downtown_jersey_cit.html

And came the graffiti to The Charles.

I am surprised no one has commented on the second line of the article linked above: "An unknown graffiti artist spray-painted "GO HOME YUPPIE SCUM!" on the front of the new residential building next door to City Hall in Downtown Jersey City."

Graffiti Artist

Wow... Apparently, a lowlife, law-breaking vandal is now considered an artist. Nice one, Terrence.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 10:14

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017