Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Ticket for street cleaning, but NO signs on the block (Duncan Avenue)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
are cory, pooboy and monroe in the same bowling team?

Posted on: 2015/6/21 21:49
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I got a very bogus ticket in North Bergen maybe 6 years ago. It was for parking on a road I'd never driven on, the tags were for my summer car that was in winter storage, but the description was for my BMW sedan. And I'd never gotten a notice of a ticket, until I went to renew my license and found I was on the suspended list for an unpaid ticket!

I'm not sure how a meter maid or patrolman wrote that up, but it was an immediate dismissal-although I still had to pay the penalty to get my license suspension rescinded! And my g/f had two similar tickets in JC-never found a paper ticket on the car, nor did she get any mail notices until she got one from the state saying she was on the suspended list.

It's a total municipal revenue scam.

I think its inept, lacking in aptitude, lazy, poorly trained officers that are to blame - If an officer screws around for a while, they might get desperate and ticket anything just to cover their time wasting

Posted on: 2015/6/21 21:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I got a very bogus ticket in North Bergen maybe 6 years ago. It was for parking on a road I'd never driven on, the tags were for my summer car that was in winter storage, but the description was for my BMW sedan. And I'd never gotten a notice of a ticket, until I went to renew my license and found I was on the suspended list for an unpaid ticket!

I'm not sure how a meter maid or patrolman wrote that up, but it was an immediate dismissal-although I still had to pay the penalty to get my license suspension rescinded! And my g/f had two similar tickets in JC-never found a paper ticket on the car, nor did she get any mail notices until she got one from the state saying she was on the suspended list.

It's a total municipal revenue scam.

Posted on: 2015/6/20 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Over the past couple of weeks I've read several posts about allegedly bogus parking/traffic tickets. The link below is a report about bogus tickets in LA. I wonder if there is any possible way to conduct a similar investigation into tickets issued here? Perhaps Code for JC, that group looking at City data, could analyze the parking data to look for any odd trends.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/1 ... anding-out-bogus-tickets/

Posted on: 2015/6/20 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neanoora wrote:
This is an update!
Today, I had my court date. I had to ask for a different court date for a good reason, which was granted. I biked to the court house, I didn't want to risk getting a second ticket. There were ton of people for traffic or parking violations in the court room today. I was prepared by printing out many photos from that block and my car with the ticket on it. When my name was called, the judge said that the ticket didn't specify which side of the street I had parked, thus there was no way of determining if the ticket was correctly written, and case was dismissed. That was it ? I never showed any of my photos, just said thank you and left. Saved $50 by going to court. It was worth the few phone calls I made and the hour I spent in the court house.

Good job Nea! Welcome to the "I Survived Municipal Court" club!

Thanks for the update.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

Exactly! Or, as the other saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

Posted on: 2015/6/19 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I still don't understand why you can't ask for costs - Your costs for turning up, loss of day's pay and traveling cost. This would be the only way to make the traffic / parking department accountable when they waste everyone's time

You don't say too many smart things on this forum, but when you do, apparently you hit a gem. Imagine if every successfully contested ticket came with a $40 check from the parking authority or whatever branch wrote it?

Posted on: 2015/6/19 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I still don't understand why you can't ask for costs - Your costs for turning up, loss of day's pay and traveling cost. This would be the only way to make the traffic / parking department accountable when they waste everyone's time

Posted on: 2015/6/19 9:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And another plus-you came out to find your bike was still there!

Posted on: 2015/6/19 9:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/11 20:22
Group:
Registered Users
This is an update!
Today, I had my court date. I had to ask for a different court date for a good reason, which was granted. I biked to the court house, I didn't want to risk getting a second ticket. There were ton of people for traffic or parking violations in the court room today. I was prepared by printing out many photos from that block and my car with the ticket on it. When my name was called, the judge said that the ticket didn't specify which side of the street I had parked, thus there was no way of determining if the ticket was correctly written, and case was dismissed. That was it ? I never showed any of my photos, just said thank you and left. Saved $50 by going to court. It was worth the few phone calls I made and the hour I spent in the court house.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rajah wrote:
neanoora,

As previous posters have mentioned, take pictures of where your car was parked along with the closest parking sign or possibly the pole where a sign might've been removed, and fight the ticket.

I've gone to court three times with the same issue and the judge dismissed my ticket each time. Best of luck.

I hope you got a day's pay out of it. I know the courts would want court costs.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 23:32
Get on your bikes and ride !

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/19 13:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
neanoora,

As previous posters have mentioned, take pictures of where your car was parked along with the closest parking sign or possibly the pole where a sign might've been removed, and fight the ticket.

I've gone to court three times with the same issue and the judge dismissed my ticket each time. Best of luck.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 7:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
jerseymom, thanks for being so helpful! And I appreciate all the responses to this thread. I will be posting an update after my court date in late June, or July.

I did google earth on that block and I see no signs there, just like I didn't see any when I parked the car. I will visit the area again this week and take more photos.

I am appreciative of everyone's comments! Thank you!

Posted on: 2015/5/27 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone Google Mapped the area with street view to look for these signs?

Posted on: 2015/5/26 9:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nea - one quick addition; parking in that area can be a little hard to find so give yourself a bit of time, just in case. The metered spots closest to the courthouse run a quarter for 20 minutes, with a two hour maximum on the meter. Some of the meters closer to the nearby college (HCCC) take credit cards. There is a pay lot on the corner of Sip and Summit (across from Motor Vehicle) - it's about a two or three block walk from the courthouse. You can easily walk from the Journal PATH station if you want to go car-free.

Good luck and let us know what happens! Don't forget your evidence and your summons/notice of court date!

Posted on: 2015/5/25 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
The legal principle that "ignorance of the law is not an excuse" is predicated on the idea that the law(s) in question are "properly published and distributed". As such, a street with parking restrictions needs to be properly labeled as such, or a good-faith effort must be made to state and announce those restrictions. If the OP is correct in that no signs were posted, he/she should be able to plead her case successfully. I have gotten out of a parking ticket for the same reasons/justifications. It was a different jurisdiction (Washington, DC) and I was able to do so online (they have a very fair, and efficient, online court system that allows minor violations to be argued via electronic submissions) and the outcome was favorable (ticket was dismissed because signs were not posted on the block on which I was parked, specifying the hours of parking restrictions, which I was able to prove by submitting pictures of the block and my parked car).

Posted on: 2015/5/25 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
It doesn't matter if there are not signs on that block. You're still responsible for knowing. Ignorantia juris non excusat.

Posted on: 2015/5/25 3:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jerseymom, thanks for your great and helpful post. I managed to reach the Municipal Court in the morning time by phone. They actually picked up the phone! I was asked if I want to go to court, to which I replied that I do. She forwarded my paperwork (asked me ticket info) towards that. She told me that I will be mailed a court date in three to four weeks. The date on my ticket is not an actual date for court, it is just the pay by date. While I wait for the court date, it is possible that I receive a late fee. She told me to bring it to court, and the late fee will be forgiven as long as I show up to court. Now, I am just waiting to see what my court date will be.
Thanks again!!

Posted on: 2015/5/25 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Take photos at every entry point to the block in question and sent it with a letter explaining the situation.

If you are correct, cityhall can't expect new residents or visitors to an area to have a 'crystal ball'

Unfortunately, a letter isn't going to help in this situation. The OP has to go to court with photographic information to present to the judge.

Best bet is to stop by the Summit Ave courthouse (remember - not Newark Ave), plead not guilty, and get your court date (not sure if the 6/4 is your actual court date or the date where you can plead not guilty and then get a second court date to present your case).

The telephones are rarely answered. The clerks are a bit huffy at the municipal courthouse so be patient and kind (the kindness where you have to bite the inside of your cheek because you really want to say something snarky).

At the counter at the courthouse, in my experience, they won't dismiss or cancel a ticket - even though it was written incorrectly. They're banking on you paying the fee rather than missing a whole day of work to go to court.

When you're in court, it's really not a big deal (other than missing work and listening to your fellow citizens present their cases which can be interesting). You listen to the judge, present your case simply (no theatrics needed - the judges are very fair and listen carefully) and have your evidence all set to go (printed out if you can - not on your cell phone or tablet). Listen to the judge and just follow what he/she says to do.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Posted on: 2015/5/22 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Take photos at every entry point to the block in question and sent it with a letter explaining the situation.

If you are correct, cityhall can't expect new residents or visitors to an area to have a 'crystal ball'

Posted on: 2015/5/22 1:58

Ticket for street cleaning, but NO signs on the block (Duncan Avenue)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Looking for some smart ideas on how to approach this.
I got a ticket for street cleaning ($50) today on Duncan Avenue, on the block between Mallory and Plainfield Avenues. That block, or a few blocks before it or after, have ZERO signs relating to parking. When I left my car, I was not the only car on that block either.
What is my best approach? Just suck it up and pay? Or show up to court, and show photos that I took of the block?

Additionally, do you have any advice on my court date? The ticket says, "Pay by Date" 06/04/2015, and "Court Time" 1:00 pm. Does this mean that my court date is the pay by date at 1 pm?
I have been on hold for close to two hours with the JC Municipal Court. I have a suspicion that I might get advice from here sooner than from there...

Posted on: 2015/5/21 22:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017