Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Re: Jersey City Mayor Seeks to Limit Chain Stores Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
I saw a sign at Trump Bay Street that says that a CVS Pharmacy is coming.

Trump Bay Street
65 Bay St
Jersey City, NJ 07302

FYI that block is outside the area where chain stores are restricted. It is one block outside the zone.
lol. That was a dumb ordinance imo

Posted on: 2017/9/14 5:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:

Trump Bay Street
65 Bay St
Jersey City, NJ 07302

FYI that block is outside the area where chain stores are restricted. It is one block outside the zone.

Posted on: 2017/9/14 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I hate CVS but I hate this ordinance even more.

Posted on: 2017/9/14 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

Trump Bay Street
65 Bay St
Jersey City, NJ 07302

Posted on: 2017/9/13 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
well, i think a cvs pharmacy would create more jobs than a local store. i have nothing against mom&pop's, but the chain stores have the economics and heft.

maybe cvs will open just 1 block outside the concerned area to show dumb this ban is.

Posted on: 2017/6/15 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City council rejects repeal of chain store limits

JERSEY CITY -- In a surprising move, the City Council voted decisively tonight against repealing the city's two-year old restrictions on where chain stores can open Downtown.

In a 1-8 vote, the council opted to keep the restrictions in place, rejecting the administration's request to repeal them and possibly setting up the city for a legal battle with CVS. The pharmacy giant wants to open up a location inside the zone where large chain stores are mostly barred. 

Tonight's move was an unusual one for the council, which is dominated by allies of Mayor Steve Fulop and rarely votes against measures his administration backs. Ward A Councilman Frank Gajewski was the lone vote in favor of repeal.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... epeal_of_chain_store.html

Posted on: 2017/6/15 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Councilwoman questions Jersey City chain store law repeal

Posted on: 2017/5/25 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Are chain stores on way to Downtown Jersey City?

Jersey City's law restricting chain stores is headed for the chopping block, with the City Council scheduled for an initial vote next week to repeal the two-year old ordinance.

The move comes three weeks after the city said it would block a CVS from opening at 70 Hudson St., a Waterfront office building where the pharmacy giant had signed a lease for a 20,000-square-foot location.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... es_coming_to_downtow.html

Posted on: 2017/5/20 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Of course it was a solution to a problem. Fulop needs to burnish his "progressive" credentials for that governor run. Bike lanes/Citibike are fine but not enough.

In case you didn't notice, he got plenty of press for this move. So this solution is working out very nicely for him so far.

Given the popularity of chain stores, I imagine that most people will perceive this as a cockamamie idea that might impact their lifestyle if he were governor. Now, if he instituted jousting on the Newark Avenue mall, that would be a vote getter, I think.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Of course it was a solution to a problem. Fulop needs to burnish his "progressive" credentials for that governor run. Bike lanes/Citibike are fine but not enough.

In case you didn't notice, he got plenty of press for this move. So this solution is working out very nicely for him so far.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Gross. Reading Mr. Scarinci?s opinion piece is like reading about something that should have stayed in Vegas.
lol. starbucks is already in dtjc

In at least four locations nonetheless, five if you count the one in Target. There's probably more of them, I just haven't looked because it never bothered me in the first place.

Four locations?
Exchange Place
Newport
Grove Pointe

Where is the other one? Just wondering. You did mention Target, but as a fifth location.

Could have sworn there were three by the waterfront - Exchange Place, Newport and Paulus Hook but maybe the Paulus Hook location closed. Anyway, there is one in the Newport Mall so that makes five:

Exchange Place
Newport
Grove Pointe
Newport Mall
Target

Enjoy your frappuccino ! I don't care if the chain exists in Jersey City or not, there will always be somebody selling coffee but I sure as hell don't need a local government agency deciding who sells it.

Hey. Easy... I wasn't picking a fight. It was an honest question. And, I had forgotten that Newport Mall has a Starbucks. I've only been there once this year, and it was a brief visit, in the middle of the day, thankfully.

I know you weren't picking a fight, I was just making a general point to the holier-than-thou crowd on this thread who do disagree with me and would rather see empty storefronts and those dingy antiquated store signs on Newark Avenue than any sort of corporate chain.

I can definitely understand the fear of a sterile downtown that only has boring storefronts of drugstores, banks and DDs. But, I don't think that is a rational fear in the case of DTJC. If anything, the free market has policed itself into a nice, eclectic mix of new restaurants all over Newark Ave, and new independent coffee and other shops in the surrounding blocks. None of these new places are chain businesses. This amendment was a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Gross. Reading Mr. Scarinci?s opinion piece is like reading about something that should have stayed in Vegas.

In at least four locations nonetheless, five if you count the one in Target. There's probably more of them, I just haven't looked because it never bothered me in the first place.

Four locations?
Exchange Place
Newport
Grove Pointe

Where is the other one? Just wondering. You did mention Target, but as a fifth location.

Could have sworn there were three by the waterfront - Exchange Place, Newport and Paulus Hook but maybe the Paulus Hook location closed. Anyway, there is one in the Newport Mall so that makes five:

Exchange Place
Newport
Grove Pointe
Newport Mall
Target

Enjoy your frappuccino ! I don't care if the chain exists in Jersey City or not, there will always be somebody selling coffee but I sure as hell don't need a local government agency deciding who sells it.

Hey. Easy... I wasn't picking a fight. It was an honest question. And, I had forgotten that Newport Mall has a Starbucks. I've only been there once this year, and it was a brief visit, in the middle of the day, thankfully.

I know you weren't picking a fight, I was just making a general point to the holier-than-thou crowd on this thread who do disagree with me and would rather see empty storefronts and those dingy antiquated store signs on Newark Avenue than any sort of corporate chain.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Fulop should be encouraging chain stores to move to places like Greenville.

How can you do this - I agree it should be done. Is there something like a rent subsidy program for stores in designated areas? Can health statistics be used to offer a govt. incentive to stores providing easier access to better quality/better selection foods? What about JC initiating a program - Bodega University - which helps existing small stores improve. I've read a lot about big surface stores starting smaller versions for dense inner city areas (no parking, for example), why not offer JC up as a laboratory for doing this in poorer nabes? Just ideas off the top of my head before a full cup of tea - what are your ideas? Oh, and yeah I want a Bodega U. tee shirt.

They can give the same type of tax breaks that are given to large companies to move to JC. Plus low or no interest loans.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

If you have been paying attention, this is the whole point of this campaign.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

How can you do this - I agree it should be done. Is there something like a rent subsidy program for stores in designated areas? Can health statistics be used to offer a govt. incentive to stores providing easier access to better quality/better selection foods? What about JC initiating a program - Bodega University - which helps existing small stores improve. I've read a lot about big surface stores starting smaller versions for dense inner city areas (no parking, for example), why not offer JC up as a laboratory for doing this in poorer nabes? Just ideas off the top of my head before a full cup of tea - what are your ideas? Oh, and yeah I want a Bodega U. tee shirt.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 11:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Four locations?
Exchange Place
Newport
Grove Pointe

Exchange Place
Newport
Grove Pointe
Newport Mall
Target

And, I totally agree with you!! I think this new ordinance is total and complete BS. Let the people decide with their wallets. If mom and pop shops need some help, then figure out a way to support them without shafting another group (landlords, in this case)

Posted on: 2015/8/22 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Four locations?
Exchange Place
Newport
Grove Pointe

Exchange Place
Newport
Grove Pointe
Newport Mall
Target

And, I totally agree with you!! I think this new ordinance is total and complete BS. Let the people decide with their wallets. If mom and pop shops need some help, then figure out a way to support them without shafting another group (landlords, in this case)

Posted on: 2015/8/22 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Four locations?
Exchange Place
Newport
Grove Pointe

Exchange Place
Newport
Grove Pointe
Newport Mall
Target

Posted on: 2015/8/21 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Four locations?
Exchange Place
Newport
Grove Pointe

Posted on: 2015/8/21 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/21 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I don't care how cheap it is, I can't stand WalMart and it's long lines and shitty customer service. Give it a generation or two.

Restaraunts like McDonalds, Taco Bell, Applebee's and TGI Fridays should rein supreme if your theory is correct. But instead we avoid those places and seek out new restaraunts and cafes that open up. Same will happen eventually with the big box store format.

Except that Jersey City has two McDonalds downtown. There are multiple Dunkin Donuts downtown. TGI Friday's exists downtown. If you really think that these businesses aren't making money, you're only fooling yourself.

I don't know who you place in the "we" category when you say "we avoid those places" but they exist and are not going anywhere.

Where is this elusive TGI Friday's you speak of in DTJC? I've lived here for 13 years and never saw it.

My apologies. I mixed up TGI Friday's with Chile's.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 15:10
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I don't care how cheap it is, I can't stand WalMart and it's long lines and shitty customer service. Give it a generation or two.

Restaraunts like McDonalds, Taco Bell, Applebee's and TGI Fridays should rein supreme if your theory is correct. But instead we avoid those places and seek out new restaraunts and cafes that open up. Same will happen eventually with the big box store format.

Except that Jersey City has two McDonalds downtown. There are multiple Dunkin Donuts downtown. TGI Friday's exists downtown. If you really think that these businesses aren't making money, you're only fooling yourself.

I don't know who you place in the "we" category when you say "we avoid those places" but they exist and are not going anywhere.

Where is this elusive TGI Friday's you speak of in DTJC? I've lived here for 13 years and never saw it.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/21 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/20 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City does it Again!

Mayor Steve Fulop and the Jersey City Council have taken an extraordinary step to preserve the distinctive neighborhood downtown that is making Jersey City one of the most livable cities in America.

Jersey City Corporation Counsel, Jeremy Farrell and his law department drafted the first franchise and formula business ordinance in New Jersey.  The new law favors mom-and-pop establishments over chain retailers.

The bold new ordinance will have the effect of keeping chains like Starbucks and 7-Eleven from infiltrating the city’s revitalized downtown.  The law specifically applies to businesses that are contractually obligated to maintain a facade, menu items, and merchandise or color scheme and have 10 other properties within 300 miles of Jersey City, limiting them to a maximum of 30 percent of ground floor commercial leasable space in the downtown area. Grocery stores over 15,000 square feet and a large segment of the waterfront area are expressly excluded from the restrictions.

Read more at Jersey City does it Again! | New Jersey News, Politics, Opinion, and Analysis Follow us: @politickernj on Twitter | PolitickerNJ on Facebook

Posted on: 2015/8/20 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
i wish they would shut down every last one of those run down "local" stores that offers nothing but crap on newark ave and replace them all with chain stores.

+1. Not to mention tear down all that antiquated, decaying signs above the "local" crap stores, some of which are among the first things you see when you leave the Grove St PATH and walk down Newark Ave.

While Newark Avenue has improved *somewhat* over the years with things like bookstore/caf? and the frozen yogurt shop, it is a textbook example of urban blight if I ever saw one. It is embarrassing that Jersey City is supposedly growing by leaps and bounds and doing so well, yet much of Newark Avenue looks so dumpy. Those stores (I'm not talking about all of them) either need to get brand new, cleaned up signage or somebody who will should move into their spaces, even if it's the "evil" corporate chain stores.

While the big bad evil chains may destroy the character of a neighborhood, those awful signs from the supposedly local businesses are hardly the kind of character I care to preserve.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
F it then. Let the large chain establishments compete with the mom & pop establishments (without any government intervention) and let the JC consumer decide the correct mix.

Agreed!

Posted on: 2015/8/6 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I don't doubt in the many Podunk towns across America that a big box retailer could destroy all of the small business in the area. I don't think that's sustainable for the long term (50+ years).

Walmart has been at it for well over 20 years now, and shows little sign of slowing down.

What typically happens is Walmart will kill smaller and less efficient competitors, like the aforementioned bodegas. Those storefronts are usually then occupied by non-competing businesses like restaurants, hair salons and so forth.

IMO making predictions 50 years out about purchasing habits is incredibly speculative. E.g. no one in 1980 could have predicted that people would buy shoes via computer communication in 2020.

I can accept that. Opening up a mom & pops grocer in a smaller community is likely a losing proposition due to the larger chains' competitive advantage. Only in a dense urban area, with a large volume of foot traffic of people with decent incomes, can a well-run bodega have a reasonable chance at being successful and thriving.

I also see no problem with places that people don't patronage going out of business and replaced with other uses such as restaurants or hair saloons that people will use. That's exactly what should happen. What's the problem? Personally, I'm still not shopping at Wal-Mart, nor am I buying my milk at the smelly bodega near my house. Wish the place would close and be renovated into a neighborhood bar instead. :)

Posted on: 2015/8/6 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I don't doubt in the many Podunk towns across America that a big box retailer could destroy all of the small business in the area. I don't think that's sustainable for the long term (50+ years).

Walmart has been at it for well over 20 years now, and shows little sign of slowing down.

What typically happens is Walmart will kill smaller and less efficient competitors, like the aforementioned bodegas. Those storefronts are usually then occupied by non-competing businesses like restaurants, hair salons and so forth.

IMO making predictions 50 years out about purchasing habits is incredibly speculative. E.g. no one in 1980 could have predicted that people would buy shoes via computer communication in 2020.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
F it then. Let the large chain establishments compete with the mom & pop establishments (without any government intervention) and let the JC consumer decide the correct mix.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 5:02

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017