Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: The Urban Neighborhood Wal-Mart: A Blessing Or A Curse?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Do people with no income get more in public assistance than someone, say, making $20,000/year at Wal-Mart? I'd assume so.

Duh. You stupid Republicans, are you so clueless about peoples' lives who don't have boo-tique health care plans?!

Hey, you got Obamacare-from Obama and his cabal. If you want to complain about his 'signature' accomplishment, ring him up!

Posted on: 2015/4/4 10:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Do people with no income get more in public assistance than someone, say, making $20,000/year at Wal-Mart? I'd assume so.

Duh. You stupid Republicans, are you so clueless about peoples' lives who don't have boo-tique health care plans?!

Posted on: 2015/4/4 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I missed the part where Wal-Mart put a gun to the sauce company owners head for this deal? Did Sam Walton leave a horse head in his bed to get the deal done?

Yes, clearly you did! Try reading it again and seeing why they went to Walmart...

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Nonsense. Just what would we be paying if Wal-Mart wasn't there employing those people-what if they didn't have any job whatsoever?

This line of thought is totally bogus and overused. Wal-Mart isn't being subsidized by a penny. We're a freaking free market. Don't want to buy Wal-Mart stuff? Don't. Don't want to buy products made in China? Don't. Don't want to support bodegas that sell $2/roll toilet paper and loose cigarettes that avoid taxes? Don't.

Wal-Mart keeps people off unemployment-is Wal-Mart underwriting the US government by employing tens of thousands who'd otherwise be on the dole?

Why are the only two options Walmart or no job at all? At best, the argument is lazy. At worst, it fails to recognize the realities of the market.

Lastly, the workers are still collecting welfare. That?s where you?re argument falls short. You can claim they are taking less from the government, but there is no evidence backing it up other than the idea that the people would be without jobs if it wasn?t for Walmart.

As I tried pointing out before... it isn?t that Walmart takes jobs from mom and pop shops. Walmart is actively decreasing employment at the location of its suppliers. They are the only business that has been able to dictate the terms and manufacturing of its clients. To that end, they aren?t creating employment. They are removing higher paying jobs and supplanting them with Walmart jobs. The former required no government assistance while the latter does.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 20:03
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/3 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Yes, in that sense. So Wal-Mart is saving the government money, because without those jobs they'd be taking even more public assistance.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
We are subsidizing the workers not the corporation. Everyone I know here in the metro area who works at the Walmart in Bayonne or in the South West is receiving either Section 8, Food Stamps, Medicaid, or all the above.

LMAO really?

Posted on: 2015/4/3 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, in that sense. So Wal-Mart is saving the government money, because without those jobs they'd be taking even more public assistance.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
We are subsidizing the workers not the corporation. Everyone I know here in the metro area who works at the Walmart in Bayonne or in the South West is receiving either Section 8, Food Stamps, Medicaid, or all the above.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/3 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nonsense. Just what would we be paying if Wal-Mart wasn't there employing those people-what if they didn't have any job whatsoever?

This line of thought is totally bogus and overused. Wal-Mart isn't being subsidized by a penny. We're a freaking free market. Don't want to buy Wal-Mart stuff? Don't. Don't want to buy products made in China? Don't. Don't want to support bodegas that sell $2/roll toilet paper and loose cigarettes that avoid taxes? Don't.

Wal-Mart keeps people off unemployment-is Wal-Mart underwriting the US government by employing tens of thousands who'd otherwise be on the dole?

Posted on: 2015/4/3 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Boycott WalMart all you want-I don't shop there often, but low and middle income consumers love the place. Yes, they'll put some bodegas out of business who charge $2 for a roll of toiler paper. And maybe something will put WalMart out of business-drone deliveries may doom big box stores in ten years. Retailing changes, then sometimes changes back. Blue Nile came about without having brick and mortar stores. Guess what? They're now opening exactly that!

You know who is paying for Walmart's low prices? You, me, and every other US taxpayer. Food stamps, medicaid, housing assistance programs, and emergency room medical care are just some of the direct ways taxpayers offset Walmart's low prices since they perpetually underpay employees and keep many as part time. On top of that, most Walmart stores end up getting indirect tax dollars when states and municipalities pay to upgrade highways, onramps and access roads.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I missed the part where Wal-Mart put a gun to the sauce company owners head for this deal? Did Sam Walton leave a horse head in his bed to get the deal done?

Posted on: 2015/4/3 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Do you shop at Amazon?

I?d be interested to hear why you think the two are equivalent.

Really?

Both are big retailers with an anti-union, low wage employee base with a business model is to undercut smaller businesses based on price. And by most measures, working for Amazon as an employee is much tougher than working for Wal-mart. I'd be curious to see how many people rail against Wal-mart but shop on Amazon.

I'm amused that you run to this considering your argument is all but tangentially related to my objections.

Amazon did not nearly run Johnson & Johnson out of business. Amazon does not enter its suppliers' warehouses and tell them how to trim the fat (ie reduce staff, use cheaper supples, etc.).

Amazon may undercut the mom and pops, but Amazon allows for those mom and pops to sell through them. Additionally, Amazon enables authors to publish independently.

One of the case studies I reviewed on Walmart dealt with a small company that made its own sauce. It had a regional market share inside of Georgia. It wasn't a ton of stores, but it was something. They wanted to grow and sought out Walmart. Walmart liked the product and pushed it forward.

The requirements (most of which haven't changed) were that they needed to use Walmart shipping. So, their product couldn't be sent directly to the store. It would be sent to a Walmart warehouse which would then fill its own trucks and supply its own stores. This was done as advertising (giant trucks with Walmart on the side), to reduce costs and to manage stock at each store.

At the same time, Walmart went to this sauce supplier and reviewed their production. They went over everything from the ingredients to the production line. They changed the recipe, downgrading the ingredients and laid off staff. It didn't take more than a year for the manufacturer to be in hot water with the FDA for unsanitary conditions. They simply didn't have the staff to maintain the level of cleanliness needed and the management to oversee that the work was being done. However, all the changes were necessary since Walmart wanted the price per jar dropped by 10%.

What was a nice business was ruined. In part, this was caused by ambition of the owners. However, it was ruined by the fact that Walmart was putting out of business the other companies that they supplied to. In essence, they didn't have much choice but to go to them.

On the plus for Walmart, they did oppose the bigoted law put forward in Arkansas. I give them a lot of credit for that.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 16:26
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
I'd be curious to see how many people rail against Wal-mart but shop on Amazon.

Since you're curious, no, I don't shop with Amazon. I certainly understand the appeal of paying the lowest possible price for something, but I try to avoid being an enabler to our country's race to the bottom.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
I'd be curious to see how many people rail against Wal-mart but shop on Amazon.

Amazon has been investing heavily in robotics to automate their warehouses. More and more product is being shipped with fewer and fewer man hours.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Do you shop at Amazon?

Really?

Both are big retailers with an anti-union, low wage employee base with a business model is to undercut smaller businesses based on price. And by most measures, working for Amazon as an employee is much tougher than working for Wal-mart. I'd be curious to see how many people rail against Wal-mart but shop on Amazon.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
The country does not benefit when its largest employers do so little to enable their employees?whose work literally helps drive our consumer economy?to actually participate in it. Wal-Mart and others can afford to do better as our largest employers, and we can afford to be better consumers by waking up to the reality that cheaply manufactured products that are appealing because of their low cost, often represent false economy.

Unfortunately, there's a sucker born every minute.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Boycott WalMart all you want-I don't shop there often, but low and middle income consumers love the place. Yes, they'll put some bodegas out of business who charge $2 for a roll of toiler paper. And maybe something will put WalMart out of business-drone deliveries may doom big box stores in ten years. Retailing changes, then sometimes changes back. Blue Nile came about without having brick and mortar stores. Guess what? They're now opening exactly that!

I don?t argue that small mom and pop shops disappear. I wane on the qualitative factor in that. On the positive, Walmart brought lower prices. On the negative, they?ve increased the need for an automobile and decreased entrepreneurship.

I honestly don?t fault others for choosing to shop where they shop. To each their own.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Do you shop at Amazon?

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
When Walmart comes to town, it's a given that the community will tremendously benefit in the form of lower prices. As their slogan goes, they help many Americans save money and live better.

As some of the articles posted demonstrate, they also somewhat help workers by creating jobs where there previously were none before (granted they are low paid).

The only ones who really lose are the business owners whose sole thing keeping them in business is selling items at a high markup. Once Walmart sells the exact same thing for half the price, they go under. Sucks for them but the public greatly benefits. Plus, people can still choose to pay the higher prices. The fact that they don't is simply capitalism in action.

Union shills tend to HATE Walmart for one simple reason: they will not allow unions. Good. As evidenced by Walmart's resounding success everywhere it goes, the union shills simply aren't very persuasive to the public.

For union shills, like Pebble, the expression "cutting off the nose to spite the face" is perfectly apt. They would rather see no job at all, than a job beneath what they deem acceptable.

People love to rag on Walmart. They may not be perfect, but they do generate a massive amount of jobs, particularly among demographics that traditionally have a hard time finding them, like seniors and veterans. And, for those living within tight, limited budgets, their prices and goods are accessible. I guess more jobs and lower prices are an evil menace to be eschewed blindly.

Odd that you think I?m a ?shill for the unions.? I?m not in one now and haven?t been in one since I worked a check-out job in a grocery store in high school.

Those that actually understand business at a higher level recognize the benefits of unionization and the living wages that they established. They were the reason for the rise of the middle class and their slow death is the reason for the decline of the middle class. They certainly had their faults and corruption. Like all organizations, there are good and bad members. I?ve no desire to teach a class on dynamics involved with the good and bad, but my dislike of Walmart has little to do with unionization.

In regards to jobs... the empirical data on Walmart job generation is not exactly on the level. There has been lots of evidence that they were biased against female employee promotion.

A cheaper product is actually relative. Is it truly cheaper when the manufacturing job left the country, causing a level of unemployment? The unemployed will require government assistance, your tax dollars, until they find new work. Is the product truly cheaper when you find that the employees require government assistance, your tax dollars, to pay rent, medical bills or a block of cheese? All costs even out in the end as you?ll either be paying for it up front at the register or on the back end with a rise in taxes. Personally, I prefer paying up front for a level of service and good. I am also not in a position where every penny counts.

Essentially, what I find to be the largest argument against them is simply their choice of politics. While they pay their employees menial wages, which requires these employees to seek government assistance, they donate a vast amount of profits to politicians that abhor social programs. It?s the kick in the ass doubled down with a kick in the teeth.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 13:30
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
When Walmart comes to town, it's a given that the community will tremendously benefit in the form of lower prices. As their slogan goes, they help many Americans save money and live better.

As some of the articles posted demonstrate, they also somewhat help workers by creating jobs where there previously were none before (granted they are low paid).

The only ones who really lose are the business owners whose sole thing keeping them in business is selling items at a high markup. Once Walmart sells the exact same thing for half the price, they go under. Sucks for them but the public greatly benefits. Plus, people can still choose to pay the higher prices. The fact that they don't is simply capitalism in action.

Union shills tend to HATE Walmart for one simple reason: they will not allow unions. Good. As evidenced by Walmart's resounding success everywhere it goes, the union shills simply aren't very persuasive to the public.

For union shills, like Pebble, the expression "cutting off the nose to spite the face" is perfectly apt. They would rather see no job at all, than a job beneath what they deem acceptable.

People love to rag on Walmart. They may not be perfect, but they do generate a massive amount of jobs, particularly among demographics that traditionally have a hard time finding them, like seniors and veterans. And, for those living within tight, limited budgets, their prices and goods are accessible. I guess more jobs and lower prices are an evil menace to be eschewed blindly.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 12:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/2 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is the second in a two-part story about Wal-Mart

One of the biggest objections critics often raise about Wal-Mart is how it treats its workers.

The company has long been hammered by critics for its low pay and erratic work schedules. And its worker policies have a major impact on economies: With more than 2 million people on the payroll ? 1.4 million of them in the U.S. ? it's the third-largest employer in the world, behind the U.S. Defense Department and the People's Liberation Army of China.

So when Wal-Mart sets its sights on an urban area, it brings controversy ? but it also brings jobs.

Take what happened in Washington, D.C. Wal-Mart opened its first locations in the nation's capital in late 2013 ? only after it defeated a city council bill that would have required big retailers, and only big retailers, to pay higher wages.

After that bill failed, the city raised minimum wages for all D.C. employers to $9.50 per hour, which enabled Wal-Mart's opponents to claim partial victory.

"I was never really against Wal-Mart ? I was against the wages that they were paying," says D.C. City Councilman Vincent Orange, who co-sponsored both wage bills. One point Orange made two years ago is that Wal-Mart's wages are so low, and D.C.'s cost of living so high, that workers end up on social services ? food assistance and the like. While that's still true, Orange now says that it's better, on balance, to have the jobs.

"Yes, there are people that work at Wal-Mart that utilize social services," he says. "But Wal-Mart has also helped. Wal-Mart has offered jobs."

For D.C. native Ernest Reed, any wage was better than no wage at all. He was one of about 23,000 people who applied for hundreds of job openings when Wal-Mart launched its first D.C. locations.
More

Posted on: 2015/4/2 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:
Back in college, I did several case studies on Walmart. The one thing you know about them is that they will not spend more than a single cent if they don't have to. They are merely raising their wages because the economy's improvement has left them with less talent to pull from.

You don't believe in companies being able to change (for the better) over time?

Walmart's great contribution to our society is in their effort to push the recession further. Their role in the termination of employees at companies they take supplies from is one of those reasons.

Changing a corporate culture takes more than just upping the minimum wage they are paying to new employees. It means choosing to not shut down the doors at a store where the employees decide to unionize. It takes not locking doors overnight to prevent staff from leaving or anyone noticing that it is full of illegals doing work for less than minimum wage.

No, if Walmart were to truly change, they wouldn't be bumping the minimum salary by as small amount as possible. They might donate to candidates that would assist in allowing those underpaid and struggling employees to get healthcare instead of to candidates that make it their mission to quash social programs.

User is right to point out their efforts to kill the mom and pop shops of Main Street. However, it's really more than that. I believe it was Johnson & Johnson, though I could be wrong on the chemical company, nearly went bankrupt due to Walmart. The requirements set upon the company in order to get their product's price to the target that Walmart wanted would have lead to massive layoffs and a cheapening of their quality.

Do you shop at Amazon?

Posted on: 2015/4/2 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/2 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:
Back in college, I did several case studies on Walmart. The one thing you know about them is that they will not spend more than a single cent if they don't have to. They are merely raising their wages because the economy's improvement has left them with less talent to pull from.

Walmart's great contribution to our society is in their effort to push the recession further. Their role in the termination of employees at companies they take supplies from is one of those reasons.

Changing a corporate culture takes more than just upping the minimum wage they are paying to new employees. It means choosing to not shut down the doors at a store where the employees decide to unionize. It takes not locking doors overnight to prevent staff from leaving or anyone noticing that it is full of illegals doing work for less than minimum wage.

No, if Walmart were to truly change, they wouldn't be bumping the minimum salary by as small amount as possible. They might donate to candidates that would assist in allowing those underpaid and struggling employees to get healthcare instead of to candidates that make it their mission to quash social programs.

User is right to point out their efforts to kill the mom and pop shops of Main Street. However, it's really more than that. I believe it was Johnson & Johnson, though I could be wrong on the chemical company, nearly went bankrupt due to Walmart. The requirements set upon the company in order to get their product's price to the target that Walmart wanted would have lead to massive layoffs and a cheapening of their quality.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 19:41
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
That fact that Walmart has nearly run several massive companies out of business,

I know what you mean, Broadway in Bayonne still can't recover due to Walmart. We were talking about having a Walmart on Ocean just the other day at a community meeting, and thank gd most of us rejected that idea.

I would say that Broadway in Bayonne hasn't recovered for a number of reasons. That Walmart is close by is just one drop in the bucket of issues preventing their recovery.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Posted on: 2015/4/2 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
That fact that Walmart has nearly run several massive companies out of business,

I know what you mean, Broadway in Bayonne still can't recover due to Walmart. We were talking about having a Walmart on Ocean just the other day at a community meeting, and thank gd most of us rejected that idea.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2015/4/2 16:30
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/2 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
That fact that Walmart has nearly run several massive companies out of business, companies that would supply to them, is testament to how awful they are. It really is a business like no other. They have fantastic technological advancements but their treatment of labor is deplorable and their business practices are suspect at best. I never shop there.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 16:08
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The closest to me is in Bayonne, I dislike it, I mean everything about it sucks. My last business trip to Honolulu I went to Walmart every other day. It was night and day from the customers to the staff. The one in Honolulu was in the downtown area, however I prefer them to stay in strip malls and not on Main street.

The one in Bayonne is the absolute worst I have ever encountered. The one in Secaucus is okay as is the one in North Bergen.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The closest to me is in Bayonne, I dislike it, I mean everything about it sucks. My last business trip to Honolulu I went to Walmart every other day. It was night and day from the customers to the staff. The one in Honolulu was in the downtown area, however I prefer them to stay in strip malls and not on Main street.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 22:02

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017