Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: TNR for Feral Cats?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Mandalazy.

I am sending you a private message. Call me in the evening to discuss your needs.

And thank you to all who have made positive comments and recommendations about the Neighborhood Feral Cat Initiative. I have taken a sabbatical both in 2014 and now again in 2015, but will see how we can help Mandalazy get the colony under control.

Thanks.
Carol McNichol
Companion Animal Trust

Posted on: 2015/3/23 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
Just want to echo the other posters - thank you for helping the kitties! I've done it a few times, and it was tough but rewarding.

Posted on: 2015/3/21 3:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/18 18:53
From Near the water, but on the land
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you so much for wanting to do TNR. It is not easy, but so rewarding. I do it and every little bit helps. Think of all of the future generations of kittens that will be saved. If you dont mind telling, what part of downtown JC are you talking about?

Posted on: 2015/3/20 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mandalazy wrote:
Thanks, everyone!

You can also try to raise donation funds on your block to help with costs, but it will take effort to do community outreach and educate your neighbors on the pros of TNR, even if they don't like cats. TNR improves Quality of Life for everyone, including the animals. Carol has a great flyer to use to get neighbors on board. Ask her about it.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 22:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/29 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, everyone!

Posted on: 2015/3/19 21:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/18 1:19
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Reach out to Carol McNichol of Companion Animal Trust. She and the volunteers who work with her are fantastic.

http://www.neighborhoodferalcat.org/

Posted on: 2015/3/19 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

mandalazy wrote:
Hi all - We were hoping to help TNR feral cats in our neighborhood, but have run into some roadblocks. Animal Control won't pick up any stray animals for TNR, and a few of the non-profits we called say we need to drive the trapped cats to their facility, and keep them in our home to recover for a few days afterward -- we're not able to do either of those. We also have to pay ~$50 for each cat. We're all for contributing to the cost, but that's a bit unreasonable considering the # of cats we have in our 'hood.

Does anyone have any leads on groups that will pick up a trapped cat and TNR?

Thanks in advance!

No group will or can do it for you. That said, there are a few groups who will guide, help train and loan supplies. Sometimes they have grant money available to help offset the cost. Carol Macnichol who runs Companion Animal Trust and who's org has provided all the above help and resources in the past can be found most Sundays holding adoptions at Fussy Friends on Newark Ave in dtjc. I suggest stopping in and talking to her. If she cannot help, ask her for referrals to folks who may be able to help.

Also, talk specifically to Paul Bellan Boyer at Animal Control. I know he is trying to expand resources for this in JC to partner with groups willing to help with the work. Not sure where he's at in his efforts, but he's a very good resource.

Also, if you trap enough cats (like 8+) you can work with People for Animals in Hillside to send the Neuter Scooter, a van that will pick up and drop off the cats. Carol knows this process well and can either help or give guidance.

Just don't get discouraged and don't give up. The kitties will thank you as will all your neighbors as TNR is the best solution for those who both love and are not so fond of feral cats.

Another vote of confidence for People for Animals in Hillside. I learned about them through the now defunct Pet Clinics Day program and have been supporting them for the past three years and continue to take all of my pets to them for routine vaccinations. Great folks doing a great service.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Might try volunteering for an org like hcal.

http://hcalnj.org/index.html

Posted on: 2015/3/19 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mandalazy wrote:
Hi all - We were hoping to help TNR feral cats in our neighborhood, but have run into some roadblocks. Animal Control won't pick up any stray animals for TNR, and a few of the non-profits we called say we need to drive the trapped cats to their facility, and keep them in our home to recover for a few days afterward -- we're not able to do either of those. We also have to pay ~$50 for each cat. We're all for contributing to the cost, but that's a bit unreasonable considering the # of cats we have in our 'hood.

Thanks in advance!

No group will or can do it for you. That said, there are a few groups who will guide, help train and loan supplies. Sometimes they have grant money available to help offset the cost. Carol Macnichol who runs Companion Animal Trust and who's org has provided all the above help and resources in the past can be found most Sundays holding adoptions at Fussy Friends on Newark Ave in dtjc. I suggest stopping in and talking to her. If she cannot help, ask her for referrals to folks who may be able to help.

Also, talk specifically to Paul Bellan Boyer at Animal Control. I know he is trying to expand resources for this in JC to partner with groups willing to help with the work. Not sure where he's at in his efforts, but he's a very good resource.

Also, if you trap enough cats (like 8+) you can work with People for Animals in Hillside to send the Neuter Scooter, a van that will pick up and drop off the cats. Carol knows this process well and can either help or give guidance.

Just don't get discouraged and don't give up. The kitties will thank you as will all your neighbors as TNR is the best solution for those who both love and are not so fond of feral cats.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 19:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/3/19 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
What zip is your area?

Posted on: 2015/3/19 19:33

TNR for Feral Cats?

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2015/3/19 19:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017