Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Parc Harrison Condos Reviews (260 Harrison Ave) please
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

worm wrote:

and I just noticed that there's going to be a nice looking restaurant/bar opening up on Bergen between Fairview and Duncan.

Ooh, I wanna hear more about this! :)

Posted on: 2015/3/19 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Nice set of maps here:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/jersey-city/

I wonder how regularly these maps are maintained and what their criteria are for coming up with the calculations.

The site itself claims that the data is reasonably up-to-date, with a lag for example of 8-10 months on crime stats. Not perfect - but a useful guide. You can click on links under the various tabs to see how they compile the stats.

Quote:

. How current is your crime data?

A. NeighborhoodScout?s crime data are always the most recent 'Final, Non-Preliminary? data available as classified by the FBI. It is the most up-to-date and fully-vetted data with complete national coverage that is available.

We insist on using Final, Non-Preliminary data for our analyses and analytics, rather than basing our research on preliminary data that may need to be updated or have errors in it.

Currently, the latest Final, Non-Preliminary crime data with complete national coverage available is the 2013 year total data, released in final form in November, 2014. At this time, the 2014 year total crime data is not complete. Because the FBI has to work through data and reporting issues, there is always an 8-10 month lag after the close of a calendar year before the data for that year can be released as Final, Non-Preliminary.

For instance, last year?s final, raw crime data will be released in the fall and processed, modeled and built into what you see on NeighborhoodScout within 60 days after its release.

The 2014 data will be considered Final, Non-Preliminary sometime in the fall of 2015.

As soon as fresh data is released, we re-run our analytics and update the crime reports for every neighborhood in the U.S. Until then, what we are using is the most recent Final Data with complete national coverage as per the FBI database.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alee2 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
[quote]
dtjcview wrote:
I also have no idea where in the Heights your home exists, which makes your comparisons rather odd.

Your home in the Heights might be a faster walk to JSQ, but is every home in the Heights? No.

You made a blanket statement about the Heights, so I gave a specific real world example that debunked it. Nothing odd about it. There are numerous 2BR condos in my neighborhood in that range. I'm not the Heights cheerleader and have no interest in pumping it up (been here 10 years, love it, have no plans on leaving for at least another 10). I'm just mystified by the constant refrain that the Heights has no transportation. It's simply not true.

Many people view mass transit as "trains" instead of incorporating buses. Its not fair, but I think it has to do more with the reliability and speed of bus transport. There is also a thread here where a Heights resident is bemoaning the slowness of the buses and the lack of transportation options available

While I'm aware of the jitneys, I can honestly state that I have no idea where to even go for the information on when they run, what routes they take, how much they cost, etc. If you have that, it would be great.

You also compared your home, a location that I don't know, as an example which neither proves nor disproves anything. You live closer to the PATH and the Light Rail than the home in question. In order to make it an accurate comparison, your home would have to cost the same or less and it would have to fulfill the minimum bedroom requirement (I assume two based on the mention of a small child). I do believe it likely that your home is worth more money, for a variety of reasons. As such the comparison isn't really apples to apples.

In looking at the Heights on Zillow, I see some foreclosures listed for at or less than the price mentioned that I found (again, only looking at 2BR). However, those aren't exactly accurate rates given that foreclosures require bank approval which could lead to a whole host of issues, such as the bank not accepting the price. I'm sure there are condos that are available in your area for a similar price, but is it the same size for that price? If they exist, awesome! It might be a better buy.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 17:29
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Hi there,

I have lived in McGinley Square for nearly 16 years and have my arms full with three kids. There are two good charter schools in the area (LCCS and TECCS) as well as some decent private school options (Primary Prep, St. Dominics).
Over the past few years, there has been a noticeable influx of families who have either lived downtown and were priced out, or are looking for more space while still being fairly close to the Path train.
I have never had a problem living here and have neighbors that are more like family to me. Many of my neighbors are artists, writers, teachers, and designers.
The area could use a decent coffee shop, but we have Honey Bakery, Ed's Salvage Co, the Farmers Market in the Park, and I just noticed that there's going to be a nice looking restaurant/bar opening up on Bergen between Fairview and Duncan. The Fine Foods on West Side is moments from opening as well.
Lincoln Park is one of the best parks in the city, and I see lots of people utilizing the new bike/run lanes that were recently put in place.
Also, Boyd McGuiness Park is getting a new facelift and should be ready sometime this year, fingers crossed!
I work in the city everyday, and it is a 15-20 min walk from my street, and by bike it is 5 min. If the weather is bad, you can take the 99s or the 10.
Good Luck

Posted on: 2015/3/19 17:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/20 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
[quote]
dtjcview wrote:
I also have no idea where in the Heights your home exists, which makes your comparisons rather odd.

Your home in the Heights might be a faster walk to JSQ, but is every home in the Heights? No.

You made a blanket statement about the Heights, so I gave a specific real world example that debunked it. Nothing odd about it. There are numerous 2BR condos in my neighborhood in that range. I'm not the Heights cheerleader and have no interest in pumping it up (been here 10 years, love it, have no plans on leaving for at least another 10). I'm just mystified by the constant refrain that the Heights has no transportation. It's simply not true.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jcpaddy wrote:
Well done Alee 2.
Pepples once again chiming in on something she knows nothing aobut: the Heights.
Lack of public transportation? What?
Unbelievable.

And dtjcview view of the area being "edgy" is considerate.
Good luck at night. I know. I lived on Bentley for 4 years.

Calisunshine: you should look at the Heights.
The most underrated, underappreciated and safest part of the city.
You will get more bang for your buck than anyplace else in the city.

I know (tangentially) a couple that lives on Bentley and have visited their home on a couple of occasions. It is a great street, and fairly quiet during the day, but I definitely feel it is TOO isolated, with limited options within walking distance, unless Chinese Take-Out, Domino's Pizza and Cluck-U Wings are your thing. The walks to JSQ and the West Side HBLR station are VERY long. I wouldn't wish those on anyone, especially with kids and/or adverse weather.

The one saving grace of the area: Lincoln Park. Living close to a large park is INCREDIBLY enriching. Having it there year round, to run, walk, bike, exercise, picnic, hang out, whatever, is such a plus to people who actually do it. I lived across from LSP for 8 years and loved using the park almost daily (for runs) and a few times monthly to walk, grill, or hang out, during the Spring/Summer/Fall months.

In any case, I am not too familiar with Harrison Avenue itself (other than driving on it on a few occasions) but I can attest for Bentley being a nice street, with some drawbacks (isolation, far to transportation, neighborhood lacking on amenities.)

Posted on: 2015/3/19 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Nice set of maps here:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/jersey-city/

I wonder how regularly these maps are maintained and what their criteria are for coming up with the calculations.

Quote:

alee2 wrote:
Quote:

I don't see the Heights as a step up, particularly given its lack of public transportation within a reasonable range for the same cost.

Actual facts per Google maps: 260 Harrison to JSQ -- 32 minute walk. My house in Heights to JSQ -- 20 minute walk. 260 Harrison to West Side Light Rail -- 13 minute walk. My house in Heights to 2nd Street Light rail -- 10 minute walk (uphill on the way home). The Heights also has multiple buses and jitneys to JSQ, downtown, and NYC.
It's fine if you don't like the Heights (REALLY FINE, actually) but stop making stuff up.

I like the Heights. I have nothing against it at all. I also have no idea where in the Heights your home exists, which makes your comparisons rather odd.

Lastly, this condo building is selling units for about $230k, did you pay that for your home? My guess would be no. The closer you are to mass transit, the higher your costs are.

Quote:

Jcpaddy wrote:
Well done Alee 2.
Pepples once again chiming in on something she knows nothing aobut: the Heights.
Unbelievable.

Why are you so defensive? I said nothing negative about the Heights. I said ?I don't see the Heights as a step up, particularly given its lack of public transportation within a reasonable range for the same cost.? I didn?t say that the Heights doesn?t have public transit. I was talking about same cost. Context is really important. If you are going to try to call me out in a dickish manner for something, it might be nice if you could actually do it on what is actually written.

The Heights certainly is considered very safe. I have friends that have been living there for decades. I looked into the Heights as an option to buy. The cost was more there than where I live. There are lots of reasons for that. However, I found that my home would be a better investment and that has borne out to be true.

I think the inquiring person could certainly review the Heights. However, there is a reason that they asked about this location. Most likely, it is surrounded by price and access to one of the best parks in the city.

I don?t know when you lived on Bentley. If it was in the last year or two, then ?edgy? seems to be about right. If you think that is a generous description and are more afraid in that area, then your sensitivities are different than mine. I?ve walked the area regularly and just don?t really see anything that gives me pause.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 16:47
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jcpaddy wrote:

+1

Plus along Central Avenue you'll find a great selection of local stores and restaurants. For raising a family, there really aren't many better places in JC - and bang for the buck - it's easily the best.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 16:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/1 15:38
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Well done Alee 2.
Unbelievable.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/19 15:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/20 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I don't see the Heights as a step up, particularly given its lack of public transportation within a reasonable range for the same cost.

Actual facts per Google maps: 260 Harrison to JSQ -- 32 minute walk. My house in Heights to JSQ -- 20 minute walk. 260 Harrison to West Side Light Rail -- 13 minute walk. My house in Heights to 2nd Street Light rail -- 10 minute walk (uphill on the way home). The Heights also has multiple buses and jitneys to JSQ, downtown, and NYC.
It's fine if you don't like the Heights (REALLY FINE, actually) but stop making stuff up.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
The area is mostly just fine. I've never had a problem walking up this street in that area at all.

+1

The best part about this part of town, you rarely see homeless people. If you scare easily JC is not for you. I personally hate condo's but that's another thread. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2015/3/19 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
The area is mostly just fine. I've never had a problem walking up this street in that area at all.

If you need the PATH, the walk is about 15/20 minutes.

I think DTJC gave a solid opinion, but considering that I don't live far from this area and walk past it regularly in the warmer weather, I think some points are little over the top.

The Walgreens murder was awful, but it was a one-off that didn't involve civilians. Should nobody go downtown because there was a kid that got shot trying to break up a fight with some girl? That murder was far more dangerous to the Regular Joe than a guy that goes out with intent to murder policemen and commit suicide in the process.

Having Lincoln Park a block away would be a massive bonus for someone with small kids. The play areas are very close. There is also a very nice Farmers Market run in the park during the warmer months.

There is definitely a question of schools. I'd look at what you'd pay in taxes in those other locations and determine if private/charter/etc would be the cost differential. The sad fact is that the public schools in JC, regardless of area, just aren't the greatest.

Areas like this are changing rather quickly with a lot of people viewing the areas downtown as being unaffordable. The closer you are to Journal Square the shorter your commute (if that's your mode of transportation) will be. Your cost will also go up for the same square footage.

If you drive, it's not too hard to get out of the area. You could shoot over on Communipaw and you'll be at the Turnpike or 1&9 rather quickly. There has been some choking at the intersection of 440, but not too bad.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
An area that this needs parking. I believe people would be willing to buy and not worry about the crime if off-street parking or a garage was available.

I feel that it is necessary to smash my face against a brick wall until my brain dissolves to a level in which this post would be worth anything.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 12:45
Dos A Cero

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/19 16:47
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you! Very useful info

Posted on: 2015/3/19 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
An area that this needs parking. I believe people would be willing to buy and not worry about the crime if off-street parking or a garage was available.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The info on Trulia is reasonable. I'd say the area is pretty "edgy". Crime on that street is low, but is high a block over on Communipaw - JCPD Officer Santiago was recently murdered at the nearby Walgreens. Poor schools, good bus service. Light rail is within walking distance - but I'd avoid it nights. Not a great selection of local stores/restaurants. Lincoln Park is a big draw - but there are plenty of good parks in JC for smaller kids.

In that price range, my first choice would be the Heights, or somewhere closer to Journal Sq.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _later_ill_be_famous.html

Posted on: 2015/3/19 2:11

Parc Harrison Condos Reviews (260 Harrison Ave) please

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/19 16:47
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hello all,

Does anyone have any feedback on Parc Harrison condo building at 260 Harrison Ave (betw West Side Ave and JFK) please? Any information on the building as well as the area would be much appreciated. What are your thoughts on the commute? And schools? Is this a place worth considering with small children?

Thank you very much.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 1:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017