Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
+1 for Seniors in the city! My parents, in their 70s, moved here from the burbs and got rid of their car. They love walking! And it keeps them healthy and out of the house. No yard work, no snow shoveling, no car worries. In the summer when Newark is closed they enjoy strolling and frequenting local shops. City life is really ideal for older folk, as they have everything they need nearby or deliverable.

I couldn't agree with you more - Sommerman - 67 y.o.
My brother, 76, is even more enthusiastic about living here than I am.
I think DTJC is a great place for empty nesters and seniors in general. Just a guess, but were there more condos available, I think there would be more seniors. And seniors are good for a city, I think. Consumers of local services, no school age kids and time to volunteer and participate. 70 is the new 35, but with money.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 15:55

Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Absolutely not, I want what was available in the 1970s.

I hear in the 1970s, almost everything was available in Van Vorst Park: cocaine, heroin, marijuana...

Still is, somethings never change.

Open drug deals in Van Vorst Park during daylight? That is something that in fact has changed.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Yvonne,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you want a deck on at least every other block, so that no one has to walk in the snow.

Could you please lay out your plan for which businesses and homes you feel should be removed to allow for this?

At least you're honest about your distaste for change.

But of course, the 1970's aint ever coming back. Cities always have changed and always will. If you don't like change, don't live in a city.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
+1 for Seniors in the city! My parents, in their 70s, moved here from the burbs and got rid of their car. They love walking! And it keeps them healthy and out of the house. No yard work, no snow shoveling, no car worries. In the summer when Newark is closed they enjoy strolling and frequenting local shops. City life is really ideal for older folk, as they have everything they need nearby or deliverable.

I ran into one of these transplants from the 'burbs recently in the garage of my building (maybe they were your parents!). The guy was down there to run the engine of his car for several minutes because they hadn't driven it for a few weeks. He said living here as seniors was working out far better than he and his wife expected. They pretty much walk or use mass transit to go everywhere, and they were enjoying all sorts of cultural outings in the city by taking full advantage of senior discounts. They have driven so infrequently that "the price of gas can go to $10 a gallon for all I care!" he said. They're actually thinking of getting rid of the car and renting out the parking spot. The income from that plus savings from not having to pay for car maintenance and insurance will more than pay for the times they need to use Uber or a taxi.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Yvonne,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you want a deck on at least every other block, so that no one has to walk in the snow.

Could you please lay out your plan for which businesses and homes you feel should be removed to allow for this?

Absolutely not, I want what was available in the 1970s. There was various public and private lots on Newark Avenue. When JC placed buildings on them many businesses moved which partially contributed to junk stores. There was a great deal of garages along Bright and Barrow in which residents parked, those are gone. When you do not accommodate businesses with parking, they leave.

Um, some thing. Which blocks do you want to clear out to add in parking? You want parking where there are now buildings. So tell us which buildings get removed.

Clearly the business environment in JC was much better in the 70s & 80s than it is now. That was a golden time for cities in America. Things are clearly much harder for businesses now evidenced by clear downturn in business prospects downtown, the crumbling storefronts and plummeting commercial rents... Clearly the removal of parking has been a disaster.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

I hear in the 1970s, almost everything was available in Van Vorst Park: cocaine, heroin, marijuana...

Still is, somethings never change.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Well, according to the cops those things are still available on Wayne Street, a couple of blocks from the park. Returning to the subject McGinley Square was a vibrant business district. In 1960s, the parking lot was sold and is the site of Hudson Catholic High School. As a retired Catholic teacher I support Catholic education but the elimination the parking lot caused the decay that we see today. Many established businesses left and 'junk stores' took their place.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/5 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Yvonne,

Absolutely not, I want what was available in the 1970s. There was various public and private lots on Newark Avenue. When JC placed buildings on them many businesses moved which partially contributed to junk stores. There was a great deal of garages along Bright and Barrow in which residents parked, those are gone. When you do not accommodate businesses with parking, they leave. As an example, when McLaughlin Funeral Home opened in Journal Square, they had ample parking, slowly the downtown funeral homes disappeared. The lots that were available on Newark Ave now had buildings. A city must accommodate all groups of people. It is the reason, as president of the Van Vorst Park Association in the early 1970s, I and others pushed for cut sidewalks to accommodate the handicapped with wheelchairs and mothers with strollers. There are excellent restaurants in downtown but really none can accommodate a wedding party or a funeral repast. due to the lack of parking. Everyone is one accident away from being in a wheelchair and those individuals would need parking to live in downtown JC.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 15:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/5 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne,

Posted on: 2015/3/5 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
The nice Milburn couple can add $10 to their night out and use the freaking deck that is open to the public, right next to the main business district, and never ever full.

Why is this even a discussion. We have decks. They are open to the public and they are half used. So the solution is to build more decks? How does that make sense?

These decks you talk about are not close enough for people to use. It is difficult to get around in the snow/ice, plus slush. Now you expect people to walk blocks in this weather to go an event. Another night of snow is expected to come which will hide the ice and uneven sidewalk.

So your solution to a snowy/icy day is more people, especially seniors, driving cars and getting into accidents? Un-freaking-believable! My parents are getting up there in years, but they can still manage to walk several blocks. What they don't like as they get older is driving - too stressful, especially as their reflexes slow. Their auto insurance rates went up once they hit 75, because the elderly do get into more accidents. What I'm noticing in my building is more seniors moving in. The kids have moved out, they don't want to deal with maintaining a home, and they don't want to drive everywhere.

It would be nice if Jersey City would remove the ice and snow at the crosswalk. I don't buy the argument that 75 years old can manage the ice and snow. You cannot see the sidewalk. Many seniors drive safely, those in poor health should not. Years ago, a heart doctor in JC told me when the seniors fell on the ice and snow, the hospital ran all types of tests not related to the fall to earn more money. Well, the hospitals must be doing a booming business now. This is not NYC. Yes, I give Manhattan credit for removing snow and the sidewalks are shoveled. But to say, people can walk perhaps 10 blocks on ice and snow to get to a particular destination is a joke. They must also walk back.

There is a HUGE mass transit system under many streets generating a lot of heat keeping snow/ice accumulation down to a minimum.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
The nice Milburn couple can add $10 to their night out and use the freaking deck that is open to the public, right next to the main business district, and never ever full.

Why is this even a discussion. We have decks. They are open to the public and they are half used. So the solution is to build more decks? How does that make sense?

These decks you talk about are not close enough for people to use. It is difficult to get around in the snow/ice, plus slush. Now you expect people to walk blocks in this weather to go an event. Another night of snow is expected to come which will hide the ice and uneven sidewalk.

So your solution to a snowy/icy day is more people, especially seniors, driving cars and getting into accidents? Un-freaking-believable! My parents are getting up there in years, but they can still manage to walk several blocks. What they don't like as they get older is driving - too stressful, especially as their reflexes slow. Their auto insurance rates went up once they hit 75, because the elderly do get into more accidents. What I'm noticing in my building is more seniors moving in. The kids have moved out, they don't want to deal with maintaining a home, and they don't want to drive everywhere.

It would be nice if Jersey City would remove the ice and snow at the crosswalk. I don't buy the argument that 75 years old can manage the ice and snow. You cannot see the sidewalk. Many seniors drive safely, those in poor health should not. Years ago, a heart doctor in JC told me when the seniors fell on the ice and snow, the hospital ran all types of tests not related to the fall to earn more money. Well, the hospitals must be doing a booming business now. This is not NYC. Yes, I give Manhattan credit for removing snow and the sidewalks are shoveled. But to say, people can walk perhaps 10 blocks on ice and snow to get to a particular destination is a joke. They must also walk back.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 5:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/5 4:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

Can you specifically tell us were you would put a parking deck?

Posted on: 2015/3/5 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Wait, so now a few blocks is unacceptable? You need what, valet parking at every destination? You know, I was seeing your point in certain areas like the Heights that DON'T have parking decks or lots available as Downtown does, but if you're gonna bitch about having to walk a few blocks, you REALLY need to leave this city, the burbs are what you want in your heart. Stop trying to make JC the burbs.

Here's a way to test if what you're saying is ridiculous. Substitute Tribeca for Downtown JC. Both are a mix of high and low rise. "I don't want to have to walk 2 blocks from the parking lot when I go to Tribeca". Uh, nope.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/5 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/5 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I attended the late Anthony Cucci's funeral today, after he was laid to rest, it was announced the repast would be a Chandeliers in Bayonne because there is plenty of parking. Several years ago, Anthony Cucci has his sister's repast at Puccini, now that is closed. It is rather sad that a city our size cannot accommodate something like this due to parking.

So now we have gone from moaning & groaning about lack of PUBLIC parking to Pasquale cashing in big time by selling HIS property. Here we go again, change the subject when you're against a wall. Oy Vey.

BTW, Puccini's is no loss, they blew. I always ate before I had to attend a function there.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Millburn dropped a big parking garage right downtown on top of what was a municipal surface parking lot, so even the burbs believe in it. Summit has a couple of lots, for shoppers and commuters.

Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I'm not one to usually agree with Yvonne...but

I would say that Maxwell's left Hoboken because of parking.

Plenty of people in JC have visitors from the suburbs, and plenty of our businesses do and would like to.

A couple from Millburn or Chatham wants to blow $500 on a DTJC dinner, should they have no place to park?

I think we could use a municipal deck like Hoboken has. Not just a lot.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I attended the late Anthony Cucci's funeral today, after he was laid to rest, it was announced the repast would be a Chandeliers in Bayonne because there is plenty of parking. Several years ago, Anthony Cucci has his sister's repast at Puccini, now that is closed. It is rather sad that a city our size cannot accommodate something like this due to parking.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Parking garages also saves lives, many doctors tell 60 plus year old individuals, not to shovel snow. How many individuals must shovel their cars after a storm? Snow shoveling is a killer according to many doctors. Even if you move to a condo and are not responsible for sidewalks, you still must shovel your car.

You are hilarious. But until you show me some numbers to back this up, I'm just going to laugh at you. I'm pretty sure people are more likely to die in car accidents after shoveling, rather than the act of just shoveling their car out. Do you know if shoveling your walkway is less or more deadly than shoveling your car?? LOL

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_an ... 02/death_by_driveway.html
Just substitute driveway for cars parked on streets or speak to any physician on this subject.

This is just way too funny. First & foremost, the article is FIVE YEARS OLD!!!!!! It cites a study done in eastern Massachusetts from 1974-78 (or between 37 & 41 years ago).

??..The Lancet study, based on death certificates in eastern Massachusetts after six blizzards from 1974-78, demonstrated that ischemic heart disease deaths rose by 22 percent during the blizzard week and stayed elevated for the subsequent eight days, suggesting that the effect was related to storm-related activities, like shoveling, rather than the storm itself. Similarly, the AJC article, based on medical examiner records from three Michigan counties, found that there were more exertion-related sudden cardiac deaths in the weeks during and after blizzards, and that 36 of the 43 total exertion-related deaths occurred during or shortly after snow removal. It's possible that snow-shoveling is no more dangerous than any other physically draining activity?that the same individuals who die while clearing their driveways could just as well succumb to a vigorous jog. The post-blizzard spike could be attributed to the fact that sedentary people with potential heart problems have no choice but to engage in heart-pounding work with a shovel, whereas other aerobic activities (at other times of year) can be put off or skipped altogether???

This is just a small piece of the article which in no way, shape or form validates the assertion made. I am over 60, a neighbor is 71, another is 67 & has had a triple by-pass & double knee surgery & we are all out there shoveling. Of course we do something I am sure never crossed someone?s mind (because it does not fit into their need to always be right); we make a point of not over exerting ourselves, we shovel in stages ? like when the snow is 3 or 4 inches deep. Takes 15 minutes or so & no one breaks a sweat. But hey, that?s just us.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
A couple from Millburn or Chatham wants to blow $500 on a DTJC dinner, should they have no place to park?

What's the story on the huge parking deck at Grove & Columbus? I've been here all this time and have no idea, I guess I always assumed it was public. Is it just parking for the workers at 95 Columbus, and if so why don't they open for the public in the evenings?

While I sure don't agree with Yvonne that there should be free parking for all, I think the building boom of the last 15 years has taken a toll on the surface parking lots around town. Even all the single 25x100 lots now have ugly pink brick condos on them.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If the frail and disabled are struggling to find parking, why not write and request a disabled bay with signs in your street?

Posted on: 2015/3/4 22:50
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not one to usually agree with Yvonne...but

I would say that Maxwell's left Hoboken because of parking.

Plenty of people in JC have visitors from the suburbs, and plenty of our businesses do and would like to.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
A parking garage is not a misuse of land. Your car is your second most valuable piece of property a person's own after their home.

I don't own a car, but I'm pretty sure I would still consider my resume and college degrees my most valuable asset.

Parking garages also saves lives, many doctors tell 60 plus year old individuals, not to shovel snow. How many individuals must shovel their cars after a storm? Snow shoveling is a killer according to many doctors. Even if you move to a condo and are not responsible for sidewalks, you still must shovel your car.

Take a taxi/Uber if you need to then. Sure, sometimes car services are the best option, but owning/driving your own car in a city isn't necessarily the best one - unless you want to pay a premium.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

You are hilarious. But until you show me some numbers to back this up, I'm just going to laugh at you. I'm pretty sure people are more likely to die in car accidents after shoveling, rather than the act of just shoveling their car out. Do you know if shoveling your walkway is less or more deadly than shoveling your car?? LOL

Just substitute driveway for cars parked on streets or speak to any physician on this subject.

Where does it say that shoveling out my car is more dangerous than me driving it? So you're not answering my question.

So your crusade has evolved from street parking for all, to now include covered garages as well. What's next, valet parking?

Posted on: 2015/3/4 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/4 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/4 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Parking for residents should be subject to how much street frontage you have for your property - If the building has more cars then frontage, its the downside of downtown inner city living - one then needs to sell up and buy a modern apartment that caters to off street parking for their tenants.
Taxes should never be used to provide residential 'exclusive' parking for those that CHOSE to live in homes that pre-date the car.
We are talking about PUBLIC roads not private restricted parking areas for those that chose areas to live with limited PUBLIC parking ... why should my taxes pay for parking lots that are for residents whereby I can't even park at ?

Posted on: 2015/3/4 21:09
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017