Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Dullboy cocktail bar
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
The only bar in JC that should be on that list is on West Side Ave.

Why ? What is the name of this great place ?

He's probably referring to New Park Tavern, a cop bar. I've been, it's better than ok. Nice place to smoke outside in the back if you're into that thing, good bar pies and such, cheap beers.

Bar pies? I haven't been in since summer, they're serving pizza??

No, they're not, I made a mistake. I meant burgers, but bar pies came out instead. Cheeeese.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DtJcQdMf wrote:
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

He's probably referring to New Park Tavern, a cop bar. I've been, it's better than ok. Nice place to smoke outside in the back if you're into that thing, good bar pies and such, cheap beers.

Bar pies? I haven't been in since summer, they're serving pizza??

Posted on: 2016/10/7 19:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

Posted on: 2016/10/7 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

Posted on: 2016/6/4 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
oh, how we long for the good old days before the newark avenue became a pedestrian plaza and guys in the high water pants!

Posted on: 2016/6/4 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The vibe there is great. Great cocktails, and quite mouth watering food. Energetic while not being in your face. It is on my list of rotating options with friends. Never know what interesting conversation can start there.

Posted on: 2016/6/3 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/3 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Esquire names Jersey City bar one of the best in U.S.

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 31, 2016 at 11:13 AM, updated May 31, 2016 at 5:44 PM

JERSEY CITY — Dullboy, the cocktail bar that opened on Grove Street last year, has landed on Esquire's new list of America's best bars.

The magazine's David Wondrich praises Dullboy's literary theme and "witty atmosphere," though he does lapse into some predictable "shock" that Jersey City could be home to such a bar.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... one_of_the_best_in_u.html

Posted on: 2016/6/3 18:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Carmichael wrote:

Curious if you've ever tried Third & Vine? I give that place a slight edge.

Third & Vine has a fantastic wine and cheese selection and the other food is pretty good, but IMO the cocktails aim higher than they're capable of consistently executing. It's been a few months since I've gone so perhaps that has changed, but otherwise if cocktails is what you want I'd definitely give the edge to Dullboy.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 18:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
This place was fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be back. Its a great date spot. Not too loud and not too bright. Food was familiar and tasty. The vino was also good... Not douche like some of the other spots down there, just a very nice vibe. Good Job!!!

After 10+ visit, I find it to be the best cocktail bar in JC. Always good, friendly bartenders, good ambiance, and solid drinks. Some will balk at the prices, but if you are OK with that, you will enjoy the place. It can get a little stuffy when it gets crowded, but they do a good job of not allowing it to get overly crowded.

Curious if you've ever tried Third & Vine? I give that place a slight edge.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
This place was fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be back. Its a great date spot. Not too loud and not too bright. Food was familiar and tasty. The vino was also good... Not douche like some of the other spots down there, just a very nice vibe. Good Job!!!

After 10+ visit, I find it to be the best cocktail bar in JC. Always good, friendly bartenders, good ambiance, and solid drinks. Some will balk at the prices, but if you are OK with that, you will enjoy the place. It can get a little stuffy when it gets crowded, but they do a good job of not allowing it to get overly crowded.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I've been about three times and find the place to be quite a positive. The downside was that each visit was rather hit or miss. One night, the service was solid at the tables and our group left happy. Another time, I was alone grabbing dinner and a drink which resulted in hearing the bartender trying too hard to be the coolest guy in the room. It was a little pretentious. The third, it was a friend and I and the bartender was pretty cool to deal with and the service was great.

I think the vibe is solid and definitely recommend the place.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 14:01
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/8 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City Has an Intimate New Cocktail bar in Dullboy

It’s never all work and no play at Dullboy

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL - April 16, 2015 7:14 p.m. ET

You know what they say about all work and no play. But no one has to worry about that at Dullboy, an intimate new cocktail bar in Jersey City.

The bar has a laid-back vibe and a writerly theme, with signature cocktails named for female literary figures and books and vintage typewriters on the walls.

Dullboy is a different type of bar for the neighborhood, and brings a speakeasy feel to Grove Street.

“We wanted to keep the menu focused on classics and riffs on classics instead of going wild and crazy with drink ingredients,” said Adam Fulton, who owns the bar with Kyle O’Brien and Gavin Moseley of Den Hospitality (the Garret in the West Village).

Rread more:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/jersey-ci ... bar-in-dullboy-1429226096

Posted on: 2015/4/17 1:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/9 18:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Did they have any beer taps? I think they had said they were going to be putting a few in, but haven't seen them the two times I was there (last time about a month ago).

I think all they had was "canned bear" (someone next to me had a Genesee) but I wasn't looking, so didn't really notice if they had taps or not.

I was there last Friday and they said taps are being installed this week.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Did they have any beer taps? I think they had said they were going to be putting a few in, but haven't seen them the two times I was there (last time about a month ago).

I think all they had was "canned bear" (someone next to me had a Genesee) but I wasn't looking, so didn't really notice if they had taps or not.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've been there on three occasions, and really enjoyed myself each time. Twice I have had Nick mixing my drinks, and he is really, really good at his craft, painstakingly and carefully measuring and mixing ingredients to yield a perfect cocktail each time. My last visit included a martini, and it was probably the least inspired of all the drinks I have had there, and yet it was excellent.

Their negroni is really good, too. Highly recommended to anyone wanting to enjoy a true cocktail bar, as opposed to all the other stuff available downtown.

As for the space, it can definitely get pretty crowded in there, but the manager was on top of it the last time I visited, alerting the door staff to not allow any more people to come in as the bar was already at capacity. I thought it was a very responsible thing to do, putting safety and legal requirements ahead of potential profits, or the detriment of the user experience by those already there.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Various gimmicks appeal to certain people. The people that like the idea of a writer?s bar with good cocktails would probably like to be around others that share this same interest. There?s nothing wrong with that.

honestly, it's not even that deep a gimmick. it's a cocktail bar/lounge with typewriters and books on the wall, that's the extent of the "gimmick". Go for the cocktails, that's clearly what its all about. For what its worth I found the place comfortable and the service/vibe was great. Might be a bit awkward when packed, but of peak it was a good experience. That said, I did have some Naked Lunch flashbacks staring at this typewriters... creepy.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
Went last night for cocktails and $1 oysters (Monday special).

We were impressed with the drink menu and their unusual selection of liquors (we weren't familiar with quite a few of the labels up on their shelves). Our group tried The Lady Brett (lightly sweet and refreshing), The Old Pal (definitely heavy on the Campari), and The Mina (disappeared rather quickly so it must have been tasty). The bartender offered a taste of the Beaujolais, unprompted, before a glass was filled. All around the staff seemed professional, courteous, and skilled.

The oysters were nice and fresh. The reuben spring rolls were crispy, flavorful, and actually pretty addictive.

The soft lighting and ambiance was perfect for unwinding after a long day. There were several different seating arrangements depending on the size of your group. We found the space intimate but comfortable. I noticed the "vintage" smell upon entering but it wasn't very strong and I didn't notice it after a few minutes. The music selection was right up my alley: Stones and Talking Heads come to mind.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Pardon the cynicism, but it seems as if everyone's a sucker for a good gimmick. "I'm a writer's writer and i like the decor because it has literary references". Spare me. It's the same as people going to a sports bar because it has sports memorabilia, and sounds shallow.

Go if you like the cocktails/food and don't mind giving money to the folks who supported the removal of the food trucks. Don't go if the latter outweighs the former or if you just don't like the place.

Various gimmicks appeal to certain people. The people that like the idea of a writer?s bar with good cocktails would probably like to be around others that share this same interest. There?s nothing wrong with that.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 13:47
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Went last night for cocktails and $1 oysters (Monday special).

We were impressed with the drink menu and their unusual selection of liquors (we weren't familiar with quite a few of the labels up on their shelves). Our group tried The Lady Brett (lightly sweet and refreshing), The Old Pal (definitely heavy on the Campari), and The Mina (disappeared rather quickly so it must have been tasty). The bartender offered a taste of the Beaujolais, unprompted, before a glass was filled. All around the staff seemed professional, courteous, and skilled.

The oysters were nice and fresh. The reuben spring rolls were crispy, flavorful, and actually pretty addictive.

The soft lighting and ambiance was perfect for unwinding after a long day. There were several different seating arrangements depending on the size of your group. We found the space intimate but comfortable. I noticed the "vintage" smell upon entering but it wasn't very strong and I didn't notice it after a few minutes. The music selection was right up my alley: Stones and Talking Heads come to mind.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Pardon the cynicism, but it seems as if everyone's a sucker for a good gimmick. "I'm a writer's writer and i like the decor because it has literary references". Spare me. It's the same as people going to a sports bar because it has sports memorabilia, and sounds shallow.

Go if you like the cocktails/food and don't mind giving money to the folks who supported the removal of the food trucks. Don't go if the latter outweighs the former or if you just don't like the place.

Posted on: 2015/3/14 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey Journal writers check new literature-inspired bar in Jersey City

By Summer Dawn Hortillosa | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
on March 13, 2015 at  8:21 AM

When I heard the gang behind popular New York City cocktail bar the Garret was opening up a writer-themed spot in Jersey City, I knew I had to pay a visit.

Dullboy, which opened Feb. 13 at 364 Grove St., has vintage typewriters and books hanging off its walls and yellowed pages torn from novels wallpapering its bathroom. Any place with these, framed quotes from literature's greats and well, cocktails, is a place I want to be.

I'm a writer's writer. I'm obviously a journalist, but I also write plays and lose my head over typos on restaurant menus. And I might have a healthy dose of the wordsmith's infamous love for drink....

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... eck_new_literature-i.html

Posted on: 2015/3/13 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I had a fantastic negroni, and my girlfriend had a pompano last night. We liked the decor, and the bartender was friendly and had a good hand with the shaker. He was also nice enough to strain my second drink, a rye cocktail, into a rocks glass, since I hate drinking out of a coupe.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 15:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
I'm impressed with this place - as someone who is really into cocktails, I've been pretty disappointed with the offerings in Jersey City over the years, but these guys seem to get it so far. I went right when they opened last Thursday, had a long chat with one of the friendly bartenders and had 3 well-done drinks (one drink initially tasted a little off to me, he checked the grapefruit juice and agreed it had gone a little south and instantly made me a replacement that was much better). They're being smart by offering simple, recognizable classics - Manhattans, Negronis, Last Words, etc - until they get their feet under them, but from the looks of their liquor inventory they're clearly aiming higher in the near future. It seems like the weekends get packed but it'd be a nice spot to check out close to when they open during the week if anyone wants to stop in.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tino wrote:
Quote:

JC_Livin wrote:
I was really excited to try this place. Went by on Saturday and it was PACKED, which is a great thing, but there was no seating available so I ended up leaving. Very nice person greeted us at the front, explained there was no seating but said we were welcome to stand at the bar, gave us menus to peruse. One weird thing though, there was an overwhelming smell of mothballs in there. Did anyone else notice that? I'm hoping it was a patron who just took their entire wardrobe out of storage or something, and and not part of the intended ambiance. Granted, I have a pretty sensitive nose, but it was really strong.

In any event, I'm excited to go back at a less busy time. Hopefully the mothball smell won't be there.

We went on Friday and had a similar experience - great drinks (awesome Sazerac), cool ambiance, terrible moth ball smell followed by a very strong fried burger smell. Not sure if they're having issues with their ventilation system or something, but hopefully that will be worked out sooner rather than later.

My guess on the mothball smell is the entire wall of old paperbacks that were likely sourced on the cheap (ie garage/church sales whose inventory typically comes out of basements and attics).

Posted on: 2015/3/2 19:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, Tino! Always good to know it wasn't just me. Hopefully it will go away. Maybe the curtains were in storage...

Posted on: 2015/3/2 17:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Livin wrote:
I was really excited to try this place. Went by on Saturday and it was PACKED, which is a great thing, but there was no seating available so I ended up leaving. Very nice person greeted us at the front, explained there was no seating but said we were welcome to stand at the bar, gave us menus to peruse. One weird thing though, there was an overwhelming smell of mothballs in there. Did anyone else notice that? I'm hoping it was a patron who just took their entire wardrobe out of storage or something, and and not part of the intended ambiance. Granted, I have a pretty sensitive nose, but it was really strong.

In any event, I'm excited to go back at a less busy time. Hopefully the mothball smell won't be there.

We went on Friday and had a similar experience - great drinks (awesome Sazerac), cool ambiance, terrible moth ball smell followed by a very strong fried burger smell. Not sure if they're having issues with their ventilation system or something, but hopefully that will be worked out sooner rather than later.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 17:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/2 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed! Awesome little place. Went in for a drink, ended up having three. Very affable bartender took care of me, with great attention to detail in making each drink just right. Definitely going back.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 19:45

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017