Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Carrino Provisions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
If you walk by right now, you would never know it had been a grocery. Front room is filled with tables and chairs. Maybe they will expand the menus. I don't think they are tweaking the grocery project - refrigeration is gone.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is there a chance they are just tweaking their vision of what the place will be? The market, to me, always seemed a bit sparse and experimental. Like they were dipping their toe in the water. Maybe it truly was just an experiment of sorts, and they are revamping what the space will be.

I did like the concept; I think it would work better if each station was a place that sold ready to eat food, like an extremely mini version of Chelsea Market or Reading Terminal Market, where each counter/station had a specialty or type of cuisine, and you have tables there where people could casually eat.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely a shame they are closing (if that is indeed the final disposition of the concept) but not entirely surprising. While I did enjoy the few things I had from there, their prices were very high and the counter people were not trained properly on consistency when serving things like the prepared salads.

Hopefully, Osteria will expand into the space. It would be nice. Last Friday's meal was really good and the waitress super friendly and attentive.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i found carrion overpriced

That wasn't carrion, that was prosciutto.

+++1

Posted on: 2015/9/17 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Dale's food is good and I'm happy it came to JC. CP - I always felt they under funded the concept...

Less under-funded and more that they hired the wrong staff. I love Talde, and I've loved the little bit I've had from CP, Pork Slope, etc. The guy obviously is making good food, and clearly has a "voice" that's fun and enjoyable. The problem is, that while I'm fine dealing with a too-cool-for-this hipster waiter bringing me drinks at his restaurants, I want my butcher to actually, you know, be a butcher.

His counter employees at CP were more style than substance like his waiters - it just doesn't really work in that context. Now that they realized that the Osteria is going to do better business and are hopefully, expanding it throughout the space, maybe they'll expand the menu a bit and get more creative/aggressive like the rest of his places.

And, even more hopefully, we'll get an actual butcher and a good cheese shop somewhere downtown to go with the fishmonger opening.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i found carrion overpriced

That wasn't carrion, that was prosciutto.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i found carrion overpriced with a limited selection and I don't recall the staff being very friendly or knowledgeable about the stuff they were selling

They had jack shit and fuck all, so they fucked off.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
That outlook is on the sunset. If the past 10 years (and really the past 5) are any indication of where downtown JC is going on value for money... there will be very little left.

Want value for money and cheap restaurants... head on up to the heights, JSQ, or Greenville. JC still offers plenty of what you are looking for... downtown is different and changing - so what?

Dale's food is good and I'm happy it came to JC. CP - I always felt they under funded the concept...

Value is a relative term. In DTJC's case, "value" is relative to Manhattan.

Given the exorbitant prices in Manhattan, I think DTJC will remain a value for years to come. Assuming the PATH trains don't become so overcrowded that you won't be able to get on, of course.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
That outlook is on the sunset. If the past 10 years (and really the past 5) are any indication of where downtown JC is going on value for money... there will be very little left.

Want value for money and cheap restaurants... head on up to the heights, JSQ, or Greenville. JC still offers plenty of what you are looking for... downtown is different and changing - so what?

Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The portions were small and overpriced and that will never fly in Jersey City, most of us are here because we want a real value for our $. No one moves to Jersey City to pay NYC prices unless you are an idiot

This is very typical here in JC, these over priced places pop up to cater to all these people living in "luxury" apts but most of those people don't even shop in JC, they are shopping and eating in restaurants across the river.

I wish them well.

Perhaps, User, but I also got the sense that a lot of their customers were from the higher the hair the closer to Jesus suburbs (HHCJS). As a Covey, living on Erie Street, I'd be quite happy to see both Carrino and Talde replaced by less hip and or yup establishments. How about a great Cantonese place or a real Italian market like the one that used to be at Monmouth and Newark? Or a real butcher - Maloney's East.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Love the food at Osteria in the back. Hope they expand to fit the space.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i found carrion overpriced with a limited selection and I don't recall the staff being very friendly or knowledgeable about the stuff they were selling

Posted on: 2015/9/17 13:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I for one like Talde so I hope they don't go anywhere.

Do we think the Carrino restaurant will expand to fill the rest of the space?

Posted on: 2015/9/17 11:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The portions were small and overpriced and that will never fly in Jersey City, most of us are here because we want a real value for our $. No one moves to Jersey City to pay NYC prices unless you are an idiot

This is very typical here in JC, these over priced places pop up to cater to all these people living in "luxury" apts but most of those people don't even shop in JC, they are shopping and eating in restaurants across the river.

I wish them well.

Perhaps, User, but I also got the sense that a lot of their customers were from the higher the hair the closer to Jesus suburbs (HHCJS). As a Covey, living on Erie Street, I'd be quite happy to see both Carrino and Talde replaced by less hip and or yup establishments. How about a great Cantonese place or a real Italian market like the one that used to be at Monmouth and Newark? Or a real butcher - Maloney's East.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 11:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
thats too bad since there isn't any other place in the area to get La Quercia Proscuitto or Buratta but after my last two experiences there (ridiculously slow service - like standing there with no one making eye contact with me for 20 min and then a terrible job slicing the meats - all little chunks instead of nice consistent thin slices) I was really turned off from buying there anyways and swore I wouldn't go back anyway

Posted on: 2015/9/17 11:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

I wish them well.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 11:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
i'm assuming lack of sales. Prices were kinda high, even with decent enough quality. Hard to run a market that sells like, 15 prepackaged items, and half a dozen each of meat, cheese, bread and appetizers. Seeing as how you could get nearly all of those items at either shoprite or m.williams down in newport (or amazon) for less, I'm not surprised it went under. The fresh stuff was nice enough, and I bought occasional seafood/sausages from them, but their bakery has loads of competition (Prato, Choc'o'Pain, Carmen Rosa), their pasta has competition (Cuore) and their prepackaged foods were almost all widely available elsewhere for less.

Especially considering the market was taking up like 1300 sq ft worth of ground floor real estate in a high money neighborhood. You can't make that kind of money with such low turnover on ten or twenty dollar sales. Even with the margins they were probably getting by having higher prices.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
That's not a good sign. I thought it was a good concept. Anybody know what happened?

Posted on: 2015/9/17 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I walked by tonight. There is no market.

I mean, unless they just like, sent the stuff out to the cleaners...

Whole lot of empty tables in their place though.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 4:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BeatrixKiddo wrote:
Heard a rumor they closed down the market part of this, anyone know if this is correct?

Hmmm. I just had dinner there this past Friday and the market was still there and doing well. Unless something has changed in the five days since then, this is likely a false rumor.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Another total joke and Yuppie play.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Heard a rumor they closed down the market part of this, anyone know if this is correct?

Posted on: 2015/9/16 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Walked by here the other night. Those poor bastards who live above and across the street and who have to put up with the din coming from this place. They should never allow that BS in residential areas. Here's to business owners who don't live here but have no problem boning residents out of their quality of life.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
A follow-up in the interest of fairness: I stopped by yesterday to get a couple of items from the meat counter. They didn't charge sales tax this time around, so it's good to see that this issue has been fixed.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Eataly does a much better job of that. They don't charge sales tax on unprepared food items. I don't believe the law makes a distinction on the "trendiness" of a retailer in determining whether or not sales tax should be applied.

I was being a smart ass about the tax, and of course Eataly is also selling an image, but it follows through with a uniquely high level of care and effort that goes well beyond the appeal of trendiness.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:

The pasta from Pasta Dal Cuore on Jersey Ave is excellent. We've bought there at least a dozen times and haven't had a fail yet.
http://www.pastadalcuorejc.com/

Yes! Pasta dal Cuore is now my local go-to spot for fresh pasta. The owner is almost always there and very engaging. Has very good suggestions on sauces.

Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

They?re selling a trendy image of Italian food culture as much as the products in the cases, so perhaps that makes everything taxable.

Eataly does a much better job of that. They don't charge sales tax on unprepared food items. I don't believe the law makes a distinction on the "trendiness" of a retailer in determining whether or not sales tax should be applied.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
The final straw for me was today when I went in to buy a hunk of parmigiano reggiano - and they charged me sales tax on it. I asked the cashier why she charged sales tax on a grocery item that's not supposed to be taxed. She just shrugged and said they charge tax on all their items.

They?re selling a trendy image of Italian food culture as much as the products in the cases, so perhaps that makes everything taxable.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Mine turned pasty almost immediately. It was inedible.

I thought it was just me! I've bought pasta there a couple of times and even though I plunged it in boiling water for barely 90 seconds, I couldn't get it al dente. It was too mushy.

The pasta from Pasta Dal Cuore on Jersey Ave is excellent. We've bought there at least a dozen times and haven't had a fail yet.
http://www.pastadalcuorejc.com/

Posted on: 2015/5/11 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:

But you must go back for two reasons:
1. Play the caper caper - see how many people you have to ask before you find someone who knows what capers are. My personal best is 3.

2. Play the Is that a Giant Provalone Game: get a seat in the Osteria where you can see the Men's room door - how long until you see a guy taking a whiz because the place is designed so poorly (see thread on apartment layouts) the urinal is in plain sight. Given that the latest suburban trend is luxury sweatpants replacing jeans, its just a matter of time before someone gets mooned.

1. Omg. How can you claim to be a purveyor of Italian foodstuffs and not know what capers are?

2. Hah! Maybe they're going for the French vibe? Saw that quite frequently in France - poorly placed urinals, that is, not sweatpants. Never sweatpants.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, Europa....sigh.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
They could use some accoustical work, but the kitchen is consistently fine.

You're right about the acoustics. It's been a while since I stopped in but I remember the downstairs area has sound bouncing everywhere. I think it was wood floors and wood ceiling? Bad choice for acoustics.

Upstairs is cool but I agree the selection could be better. The bacon was decently priced but can't hold a candle to what Europa used to have. Meats and shellfish look pretty decent. Some of it's wildly overpriced though, I think Salmon was something like $12/pound when I went last.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 22:53

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017