Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Political Insider: Does the Jersey City Recreation Department discriminate in its hiring?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Kevin Williamson is a great hire. This is fabulous for JC Recreation.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 0:35

Re: Political Insider: Does the Jersey City Recreation Department discriminate in its hiring?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

10 weeks after Strother termination, Jersey City names new rec director

About 10 weeks after Ryan Strother was terminated as Jersey City’s recreation director for allegedly hiring a sex offender then refusing to fire him, the city has named Kevin Williamson as his replacement.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

Williamson, a 26-year resident of Jersey City, has spent more than 13 years involved in educational and recreation programs in Jersey City.

Some of his previous titles include the president of the board of trustees at the Learning Community Charter School, board member of the Jersey City Youth Soccer Association, member of the Roberto Clemente Little League Board and Hans Solis Soccer Academy. He is also certified soccer coach and referee.

Mayor Steven Fulop praised the hiring of Williamson in a prepared statement.

Read more:  http://hudsoncountyview.com/10-weeks- ... y-names-new-rec-director/

Kevin is a good guy and a good choice for this position. I hope he does well and doesn't get frustrated with the politics.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

10 weeks after Strother termination, Jersey City names new rec director

About 10 weeks after Ryan Strother was terminated as Jersey City’s recreation director for allegedly hiring a sex offender then refusing to fire him, the city has named Kevin Williamson as his replacement.

By John Heinis/Hudson County View

Williamson, a 26-year resident of Jersey City, has spent more than 13 years involved in educational and recreation programs in Jersey City.

Some of his previous titles include the president of the board of trustees at the Learning Community Charter School, board member of the Jersey City Youth Soccer Association, member of the Roberto Clemente Little League Board and Hans Solis Soccer Academy. He is also certified soccer coach and referee.

Mayor Steven Fulop praised the hiring of Williamson in a prepared statement.

Read more:  http://hudsoncountyview.com/10-weeks- ... y-names-new-rec-director/

Posted on: 2015/11/17 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Rec director accused of hiring sex offender is being fired, Jersey City says

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
August 31, 2015 at  5:51 PM

JERSEY CITY — City officials say they have begun the process to terminate Ryan Strother, the city's recreation director, who is accused of hiring a registered sex offender and not firing him when he found out about his past.

City spokesman Ryan Jacobs told The Jersey Journal this afternoon that Mayor Steve Fulop sent Strother a letter at 4:30 p.m. today informing him that he is "effectively no longer part of this administration," Jacobs said.

The Rev. Reginald McRae, of Jersey City's Mt. Pisgah A.M.E. Church, will be acting recreation director until a permanent replacement is found, Jacobs said.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _sex_offender_has_be.html

Posted on: 2015/9/1 5:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:

Given all the other accusations, still seems where there's smoke, there's fire. And there just seems to be too much smoke in the Recreations Department.

What Joshua Parkhurst originally wrote has the ring of truth, in my opinion.
"A lot of patronage employees are upset that they are now required to go out into the field and actually do work."

Posted on: 2015/2/16 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Interview with Diane Coleman regarding summer hiring program (see link below). Wonder if data on the number of applicants will be made available which would help shed light on the topic.
Given all the other accusations, still seems where there's smoke, there's fire. And there just seems to be too much smoke in the Recreations Department.

http://hudsoncountyview.com/councilwo ... ec-dept-fulop-leadership/

http://hudsoncountyview.com/court-cas ... ty-recreation-department/

http://hudsoncountyview.com/jc-recrea ... ice-disciplinary-reports/

Posted on: 2015/2/16 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Thinkabout wrote:
If there are 500 jobs to go around, and there are 5 wards, then 100 from each ward should be hired and that hiring should coincide with the demographics from each ward. It isn't rocket science, it is actually quite simple.

Actually, no. It isn?t that simple. You are presuming that there are an equivalent amount of applicants from each ward. You are also presuming that there are an equivalent amount of individuals in need in each ward.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Are you making a point about me or you? I have always said all children come first. I never said I come first.

Bluntly put, he?s saying that you?re too freaking dense in the head to realize you have no idea what your argument is.

Can you accurately state that each ward submitted the same number of applications for the jobs? If you do not know the exact number of applicants and do not know the exact number of applicants from each ward, how can you possibly determine whether there were children in other wards that were prevented from working?

Thank you Pebble. Another thing to factor is the time factor. When were these apps supposed to be in by. If first come, first serve then it's you snooze, you loose.

Posted on: 2015/2/16 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Thinkabout wrote:
If there are 500 jobs to go around, and there are 5 wards, then 100 from each ward should be hired and that hiring should coincide with the demographics from each ward. It isn't rocket science, it is actually quite simple.

Actually, no. It isn?t that simple. You are presuming that there are an equivalent amount of applicants from each ward. You are also presuming that there are an equivalent amount of individuals in need in each ward.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Are you making a point about me or you? I have always said all children come first. I never said I come first.

Bluntly put, he?s saying that you?re too freaking dense in the head to realize you have no idea what your argument is.

Can you accurately state that each ward submitted the same number of applications for the jobs? If you do not know the exact number of applicants and do not know the exact number of applicants from each ward, how can you possibly determine whether there were children in other wards that were prevented from working?

Posted on: 2015/2/16 13:53
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Maybe the disparity is in how many actually turned in the application. Look, maybe each councilperson got the same amount of applications & maybe each councilperson distributed those applications. Instead of bickering & posting YouTube videos & articles that have no special relevance to this, let's just find out how many apps were given to/handed out by each councilmember vs. how many were turned in from each ward. If councilperson "X's" ward turned in only 10 apps & councilperson "Y's" ward handed in 75 it can mean, simply, that "Y's" ward may statistically have a higher percentage of applicants hired.

According to our government, the administration hires people not the council but in the past different administration allowed councilpeople to submit names for specific jobs. So I strongly doubt Fulop allowed each councilperson hired kids. In the beginning of his administration Fulop complained when residents called their councilman to complain about potholes. He said that is the job of the Mayor Action Bureau which he renamed RRC. Yet I will give him credit, he took care of those details when he was Ward E councilman which makes Healy very liberal by comparison.

Yvonne, in your never ending quest to always be right, you sometimes read things into posts that simply aren't there. I never said who did the hiring but only offered a simple, logical way to start researching why there is the alleged disparately.

Rorschach, I more or less agree on the political patronage hiring part that may have been played in this but you cannot start that part of the investigation until how many completed applications from each ward is determined. Then you can further research the who's who.

I hope you realize we are talking about children not the political people in the RRC department. I am stating there are poor children who are in need in all wards, not one ward. I want those children get an opportunity at those jobs, too.

And once again, Yvonne, you are the only one right about every & anything. We are talking the same thing BUT you cannot determine the whys & wherefores until the very basic of questions, which lay the foundation of a fair assessment, are answered. Is this too hard to comprehend or is your distaste for every & anything connected with this administration blinding you to what needs to happen first before you can make your assertions of impropriety?

Posted on: 2015/2/16 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:
It's funny watching y'all argue whether these hires are justified. It's called political patronage, a long time Jersey City tradition. It doesn't matter whether you are qualified for a position just that you have a political friend who will hire you.

This is really more sad than funny. I'm pretty much done with this thread. It gets boring after awhile dealing with the obtuse.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Maybe the disparity is in how many actually turned in the application. Look, maybe each councilperson got the same amount of applications & maybe each councilperson distributed those applications. Instead of bickering & posting YouTube videos & articles that have no special relevance to this, let's just find out how many apps were given to/handed out by each councilmember vs. how many were turned in from each ward. If councilperson "X's" ward turned in only 10 apps & councilperson "Y's" ward handed in 75 it can mean, simply, that "Y's" ward may statistically have a higher percentage of applicants hired.

According to our government, the administration hires people not the council but in the past different administration allowed councilpeople to submit names for specific jobs. So I strongly doubt Fulop allowed each councilperson hired kids. In the beginning of his administration Fulop complained when residents called their councilman to complain about potholes. He said that is the job of the Mayor Action Bureau which he renamed RRC. Yet I will give him credit, he took care of those details when he was Ward E councilman which makes Healy very liberal by comparison.

Yvonne, in your never ending quest to always be right, you sometimes read things into posts that simply aren't there. I never said who did the hiring but only offered a simple, logical way to start researching why there is the alleged disparately.

Rorschach, I more or less agree on the political patronage hiring part that may have been played in this but you cannot start that part of the investigation until how many completed applications from each ward is determined. Then you can further research the who's who.

I hope you realize we are talking about children not the political people in the RRC department. I am stating there are poor children who are in need in all wards, not one ward. I want those children get an opportunity at those jobs, too.

And once again, Yvonne, you are the only one right about every & anything. We are talking the same thing BUT you cannot determine the whys & wherefores until the very basic of questions, which lay the foundation of a fair assessment, are answered. Is this too hard to comprehend or is your distaste for every & anything connected with this administration blinding you to what needs to happen first before you can make your assertions of impropriety?

Posted on: 2015/2/15 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/15 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/15 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
It's funny watching y'all argue whether these hires are justified. It's called political patronage, a long time Jersey City tradition. It doesn't matter whether you are qualified for a position just that you have a political friend who will hire you.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/15 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/15 4:00

Edited by HeightsBrat on 2015/2/15 4:18:06
Reason: Rewording

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Thinkabout wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quotas are stupid. Simply give the jobs to the kids that need it most - can't be that tough to figure a formula.

You cannot tell who is the neediest by where they live. A kid live in an upscale area could have parents that were downsized. My suggestion - let the 6 councilpersons from each ward pick the kids to work the jobs.

Actually, you can generally tell who are the neediest based on the areas they live in. Generally, people live in areas with people of similar economic level. There are certainly outliers, but you aren't catching someone on welfare renting from The Trump building.

I don't know about the Trump building, but I know people who did receive food stamps after a loss of a job in Newport.

I don't believe this since I know people that actually work in the welfare office. If someone actually did receive welfare while living in Newport, it wasn't within the last decade.

Since you posit that welfare is your requirement, I guess it makes perfect sense that we equally distribute across the wards since there is one person in Newport that collected welfare while temporarily out of work years ago and the majority of those collecting welfare in Jersey City now are located in Ward F. Your genius never ceases to astound!

Actually there are six wards, but I agree with the context.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 2:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/17 10:44
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quotas are stupid. Simply give the jobs to the kids that need it most - can't be that tough to figure a formula.

You cannot tell who is the neediest by where they live. A kid live in an upscale area could have parents that were downsized. My suggestion - let the 6 councilpersons from each ward pick the kids to work the jobs.

Actually, you can generally tell who are the neediest based on the areas they live in. Generally, people live in areas with people of similar economic level. There are certainly outliers, but you aren't catching someone on welfare renting from The Trump building.

I don't know about the Trump building, but I know people who did receive food stamps after a loss of a job in Newport.

I don't believe this since I know people that actually work in the welfare office. If someone actually did receive welfare while living in Newport, it wasn't within the last decade.

Since you posit that welfare is your requirement, I guess it makes perfect sense that we equally distribute across the wards since there is one person in Newport that collected welfare while temporarily out of work years ago and the majority of those collecting welfare in Jersey City now are located in Ward F. Your genius never ceases to astound!

Posted on: 2015/2/15 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/14 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This article is how the recession has affected North New Jersey. These people never thought they had to apply for public assistance.
http://www.northjersey.com/news/hards ... oss-north-jersey-1.517190

I ask for specifics and you provide an article containing a few parables about outliers that are overstretched financially as if that is some evidence. Thank you for proving my point.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 18:02
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Political patronage? Couldn't think of a worse way to allocate the jobs.

You don't think political patronage is not happening now in city hall? I will give the council the benefit of the doubt that they know their own community better than the Recreational Director. After all, they do attend local community meetings.

The Rec Director doesn't need to buy votes.

What is so tough about a simple process - the jobs are posted publicly with a given closing date - priority is given to kids on welfare, otherwise it's first-come first served. Age and JC residency being the only prerequisites.

Problem solved.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

You don't think political patronage is not happening now in city hall? I will give the council the benefit of the doubt that they know their own community better than the Recreational Director. After all, they do attend local community meetings.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/13 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This article is how the recession has affected North New Jersey. These people never thought they had to apply for public assistance.
http://www.northjersey.com/news/hards ... oss-north-jersey-1.517190

Posted on: 2015/2/13 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Here is the criteria for food stamps, it says low income households, if you lose your job and receiving unemployment, you qualify. Even the people in the wealthier suburbs received foods stamps. So I repeat my statement, there are people in Newport who lost their jobs and are receiving food stamps.
http://www.nj.gov/njhealthlink/programdetails/foodstamp.html

And you also repeat your ignorance... Get me a list of those on welfare presently living in Newport. You claim that there are people in Newport on welfare and that the portion of those on welfare are equal to those in every other part of the city, get the numbers. You want to claim that "your friend" at the Hudson County Welfare office is willing to give you insight into their information, then get it.

In the meantime, why don't you sit down with "your friend" at Hudson County Welfare and have them detail out for you the areas which have the highest percentage of recipients. Maybe then you'll have even the remotest sense of a clue.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 16:53
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the criteria for food stamps, it says low income households, if you lose your job and receiving unemployment, you qualify. Even the people in the wealthier suburbs received foods stamps. So I repeat my statement, there are people in Newport who lost their jobs and are receiving food stamps.
http://www.nj.gov/njhealthlink/programdetails/foodstamp.html

Posted on: 2015/2/13 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I also know people who work in Hudson County Welfare and while I cannot use names on this forum, I have know these people for more than 30 years.

Then the likelihood is that I know them. You can sometimes see me drinking with some of them. This is how I know you're full of it...

Posted on: 2015/2/13 16:39
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

I also know people who work in Hudson County Welfare and while I cannot use names on this forum, I have know these people for more than 30 years.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/13 16:24
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/13 16:04

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017