Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: TALDE JERSEY CITY
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Talde wasn't upscale in any real way though. It was gimmicky and the food was passable at best. The bar was OK. But as a restaurant it was at best, a flash in the pan.

Thirty Acres, for much of its life, was a much better restaurant. And if I want a small plate experience, which is all Talde was really good for, I'd rather be at 3rd and Vine, or Razza.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
It can support more expensive places, but only a few of them, and the menu, execution and service need to support it. Talde's food was never at that level. Why got there when Satis is better, and there are better bars in town now.

I agree it can sustain a couple of options, but only the best of them will survive. It just seems we've had a lot of upscale openings up lately and not a hell of a lot of casual family/dinner with friends, and IMO, that is a very big misreading of the actual market.

I love to eat out, and I eat out a lot, but I have a family and I'm not paying $30+ a head every time I go out (and much higher at some of the places).

Posted on: 2016/3/3 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
IMO, that is kind of the problem. DTJC just isn't that large of a place and has no theater or the like to support the nice dinner and a night out crowd from out of town.

When it comes down to it, if you want to have a very good, upscale restaurant scene you need something to do before or after the dinner to sustain that.

The JC market is people going out for a bite/drinks with friends and families and that market isn't going to sustain a lot of different upscale options.

Agree 100% with this. Dinner in JC is for those quiet weekend "stay-close-to-home" evenings. Target price for two tops out closer to $40 than $100.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
It can support more expensive places, but only a few of them, and the menu, execution and service need to support it. Talde's food was never at that level. Why got there when Satis is better, and there are better bars in town now.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
I blame those unfair food trucks! -_____________-

Posted on: 2016/3/3 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:

Carrina, B&G and Talde were upscale additions to the neighborhood and we're hoping that the rumors here are unfounded.

IMO, that is kind of the problem. DTJC just isn't that large of a place and has no theater or the like to support the nice dinner and a night out crowd from out of town.

When it comes down to it, if you want to have a very good, upscale restaurant scene you need something to do before or after the dinner to sustain that.

The JC market is people going out for a bite/drinks with friends and families and that market isn't going to sustain a lot of different upscale options.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
We try to support all the new restaurants coming in - the space was beautifully built out and I appreciated that. There were few veg options for us though and so while we studied the menu a few times there were far better entrees at other restaurants.

A substantial portion of the population here in JC is Indian and lots of folks are vegetarian - kinda makes sense to stick a few, simple dishes onto a menu.

We reached out to the new Miso Ramen noodle place before the opening to recommend the same thing - they said that they had plans to increase the offerings for veg-heads as others were asking for the same.

Carrina, B&G and Talde were upscale additions to the neighborhood and we're hoping that the rumors here are unfounded.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BobNesta wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I can't agree with you on the Marco Pepe comment. I was a big fan and patron of M&P for my first few years in town. However, about 4 years ago my experiences deteriorated dramatically. I still return once a year with some hope and invariably I'm disappointed.

Regardless. I do hope Talde survives. However, I think the formula may be to more of a restaurant and less of a night club with the loud music. Also, perhaps change the menu to high end Italian, not Italian American. Over all my suggestion is to appeal more to an adult market. Not the vomit set.
Quote:

Meanwhile, Marco & Pepe, Taqueria, Beechwood, Park & Sixth, Roman Nose, Orale, all well regarded and seem to be doing OK. I'm sure there are others.

FWIW, I don't need some "restaurant scene," I don't care about the opinions of snobby foodies. Good restaurants will do the trick.

Same experience with M&P. I used to feel like their brunch was genuinely good while being one of the few options in the beginning. Now there are so many other choices and they seem to have stopped giving a shit around four years ago. Sucks because I think there is room for M&P even with all the restaurants because they offered items/atmosphere no one else has but it's like they just got comfortable and decided to stop caring about the food and as a result I stopped tolerating the terrible service. I have no idea how people can continue to spend money there- I try to give them a chance like once a year and I always regret it.

Agreed. Stopped going years ago. Refuse to go back. Mediocre food at a high price point.

Same experience as these three other posters: stopped going 5 years ago. Not sure what happened, but it really went downhill. It was THE place to go to in JC, but they started changing the menu (for the worse) and the quality just wasn't there anymore. I have maybe tried it a handful of times since then, but it is always somewhat lackluster. With so many other good options in town, it's just not worth it.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WordsOfaHooker wrote:
it was really phenomenal. Yes, it was expensive, but the food was amazing

you must also consider chewing down tree bark dipped in a bottle of salt amazing.

the food there is absolutely the worst, even the 99 cents instant ramen taste better and preferred over the **** they serve in talde at $20 a plate.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 17:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/9 17:07
From The Village, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It's really sad to hear Talde might be closing. I've been there 7-8 times, once coming for my wedding anniversary, and up until this last time it was really phenomenal. Yes, it was expensive, but the food was amazing and the service was impeccable.

But this last time was a disaster. Our server went MIA for 45 minutes, we ordered white wine from the manager and they didn't have the bottle we ordered but instead brought over a different bottle, that same bottle they served us was completely warm and unchilled, then the food came out and it was ice cold...and this was a $200 dinner.

I figured it was just an off night, but if they're closing, then this makes sense. Really sad. I agree with the comments its a high-profile restaurant. A lot of people saw Talde as part of the growing renaissance in downtown JC. If it closes, it'll make them re-think this boom is really happening or not.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 16:25
WordsOfaHooker (I didn't get lucky in the last name department)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I can't agree with you on the Marco Pepe comment. I was a big fan and patron of M&P for my first few years in town. However, about 4 years ago my experiences deteriorated dramatically. I still return once a year with some hope and invariably I'm disappointed.

Regardless. I do hope Talde survives. However, I think the formula may be to more of a restaurant and less of a night club with the loud music. Also, perhaps change the menu to high end Italian, not Italian American. Over all my suggestion is to appeal more to an adult market. Not the vomit set.
Quote:

Meanwhile, Marco & Pepe, Taqueria, Beechwood, Park & Sixth, Roman Nose, Orale, all well regarded and seem to be doing OK. I'm sure there are others.

FWIW, I don't need some "restaurant scene," I don't care about the opinions of snobby foodies. Good restaurants will do the trick.

Same experience with M&P. I used to feel like their brunch was genuinely good while being one of the few options in the beginning. Now there are so many other choices and they seem to have stopped giving a shit around four years ago. Sucks because I think there is room for M&P even with all the restaurants because they offered items/atmosphere no one else has but it's like they just got comfortable and decided to stop caring about the food and as a result I stopped tolerating the terrible service. I have no idea how people can continue to spend money there- I try to give them a chance like once a year and I always regret it.

Agreed. Stopped going years ago. Refuse to go back. Mediocre food at a high price point.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2016/3/3 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I had high hopes for Talde's, but the bottom line is that the food really wasn't good, even if it was 30% less than what they charged.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
A bit more info.

The shuttering of the 2nd space formerly Carrino, most recently Bell & Gray has cost them an arm and a leg. Talde is getting a deal at a rather large boutiqu-ish hotel chain which will put Talde's in numerous locations. This one restaurant isn't worth the time to try and save. Finally there are some ongoing issues with the developers.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 12:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
After having an odd experience at the bar and once getting table it just goes from the first place you think of to dine, then your 2nd, 3rd and then just last. Especially if you are walking up from Grove Street area with other choices.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
High profile restaurants closing in JC is not good. Maybe some of you were rooting for Talde to close, but I view this as a bad thing.

I do agree that the closing of high profile restaurants is not a good thing. This would be the third high profile place to close (if indeed it is closing) all within a few months. Hopefully that is not the case.

As for the other stuff, I am not too worried. Plenty of good places still around, and enough options to try a different place or two every week and still have a fun, varied experience.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 12:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
High profile restaurants closing in JC is not good. Maybe some of you were rooting for Talde to close, but I view this as a bad thing.

I do agree that the closing of high profile restaurants is not a good thing. This would be the third high profile place to close (if indeed it is closing) all within a few months. Hopefully that is not the case.

As for the other stuff, I am not too worried. Plenty of good places still around, and enough options to try a different place or two every week and still have a fun, varied experience.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Also live right next to Talde and agree that the place is dead on weekdays. Sometimes it's maybe half full, but nobody is ever at the bar on a weekday. You'd think they could drag me in there, being I live next door, but there's never a beer or mixed special that I'm at all interested in. If you can't compete in some way with Barcade(craft and happy hour) or Rolon's(Rolon's), you're not getting my money.

Why pay $7 for craft at Talde when I'm getting it for $5 at Barcade at HH, and why pay $5 for a Yuengling at Talde when I'm getting it for $3 across the street at Keyhole?

Math, yo.

So.................

Whole Foods?
ditto. i was just about to ask why talde never had promos to drum up business on weekdays

Posted on: 2016/3/3 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

BobNesta wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
it's awful that restaurants are shuttering... they always seem busy whenever I walk by...perhaps the rent was too high? Might the landlords be asking for more than is reasonable in jersey city?

I agree. I heard the rumor a month or so ago. Seems like there has always been a general disconnect between where JC is at in the present moment and where business owners or restaurateurs think JC should be at or how fast it'll get there. Disconnect is probably occurring on many levels (landlords, business owners, etc.).
Strange that they would put so much time and money into these operations and bail, but you never know what's happening behind the scenes or who is paying for this stuff.

I agree with you on that disconnect. My belief is that landlords are putting the cart before the horse as far as rent goes and that restauranteurs are sometimes blindly ignoring that we are still very much a bedroom community.

But....don't the Talde guys own the building?

I believe the Carrino's bought the building. Talde is under Three Kings Restaurant group which is only loosely broffiliated as far as I can tell.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
We are too close to Manhattan for mediocre service and food at high prices. This place was great when it first opened. After returning back a few months later I was very disappointed but when I state things like that here, I am a hater. oh well.

Eating downtown can sometimes be a chore and a pain in the ass. for the last 4 months I just skip it and head into NYC where there are hundreds of options in all five boroughs oppose to 3 or 4 spots on Newark ave.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 2:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
So maybe the staff just got an email from the director of operations with their schedules next week and a note about "neighborhood rumors" saying there is "zero chance" they are closing. Maybe ... Hypothetically and such.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

BobNesta wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
it's awful that restaurants are shuttering... they always seem busy whenever I walk by...perhaps the rent was too high? Might the landlords be asking for more than is reasonable in jersey city?

I agree. I heard the rumor a month or so ago. Seems like there has always been a general disconnect between where JC is at in the present moment and where business owners or restaurateurs think JC should be at or how fast it'll get there. Disconnect is probably occurring on many levels (landlords, business owners, etc.).
Strange that they would put so much time and money into these operations and bail, but you never know what's happening behind the scenes or who is paying for this stuff.

I agree with you on that disconnect. My belief is that landlords are putting the cart before the horse as far as rent goes and that restauranteurs are sometimes blindly ignoring that we are still very much a bedroom community.

But....don't the Talde guys own the building?

Posted on: 2016/3/3 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Posted on: 2016/3/3 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
High profile restaurants closing in JC is not good.

It is, if their service sucks, it isn't managed well, and their menu makes no sense.

If they close (and that's not definite yet), I don't think you can blame it on the locals.

Quote:
I don't think JC is a place to have a restaurant in a physically massive, cavernous space.

I dunno, seems like South House and Porta are doing fine. Even that awful Hoboken-like thing at Grove Street, last I checked, does decent business on occasion.

Quote:
One can't feel too hopeful or positive about all those large spaces on Newark Ave that are either empty now or will be empty soon.

What are you talking about?

Quote:
This is a blow to JC's restaurant scene, which only a year ago was held in very high regard. I hope we're not destined for "Bar and Grill" hell, like Hoboken.

Uh huh

That "high regard" seemed to be for a slightly snooty restaurant run by well-meaning novices, a Brooklyn restaurant that wasn't run well, and.... what else, exactly?

Posted on: 2016/3/3 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

One can't feel too hopeful or positive about all those large spaces on Newark Ave that are either empty now or will be empty soon. The best bet to fill those is combine 2-3 of the spaces and build out a food hall type of situation, which is incredibly popular right now and understandably so. It's casual and fun. Even Staten Island is getting one.

Probably the best idea I've seen on this board all year. However, given the influence that certain restaurants have over the government in preventing competition, I doubt this ever happens here.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
High profile restaurants closing in JC is not good. Maybe some of you were rooting for Talde to close, but I view this as a bad thing. I never ate there due to lukewarm reviews, but this is not good news.

I don't think JC is a place to have a restaurant in a physically massive, cavernous space. Few places have the scale of potential customers to really make that work. Downtown JC probably has the scale IF we were the city center of the region. But as others have said, JC has the functionality of a bedroom community and is not the center of the region.

One can't feel too hopeful or positive about all those large spaces on Newark Ave that are either empty now or will be empty soon. The best bet to fill those is combine 2-3 of the spaces and build out a food hall type of situation, which is incredibly popular right now and understandably so. It's casual and fun. Even Staten Island is getting one.

This is a blow to JC's restaurant scene, which only a year ago was held in very high regard. I hope we're not destined for "Bar and Grill" hell, like Hoboken.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Also live right next to Talde and agree that the place is dead on weekdays. Sometimes it's maybe half full, but nobody is ever at the bar on a weekday. You'd think they could drag me in there, being I live next door, but there's never a beer or mixed special that I'm at all interested in. If you can't compete in some way with Barcade(craft and happy hour) or Rolon's(Rolon's), you're not getting my money.

Why pay $7 for craft at Talde when I'm getting it for $5 at Barcade at HH, and why pay $5 for a Yuengling at Talde when I'm getting it for $3 across the street at Keyhole?

Math, yo.

So.................

Whole Foods?

Posted on: 2016/3/3 0:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/1 1:16
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
What a joke....guessing those two spots will now be cursed with several restaurants coming and going..

Posted on: 2016/3/2 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
LOL my thought exactly, overpriced menu served with an attitude maybe to obvious?

Quote:

trambone wrote:
butterscotch scallops... thats all you need to know about it closing.
i have to agree the place was overpriced. i could see paying a mucho for a lot of food, but their portions woudn't even satisfy a 2 year old.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
LOL my thought exactly, overpriced menu served with an attitude maybe to obvious?

Quote:

trambone wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/2 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/2 22:52

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017