Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: TALDE JERSEY CITY
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
I just need to add my 2 cents, so please do not feel this is a personal attack against communal table lovers...please don't attack me, BUT.....Communal tables suck! Many people such as I have no interest in meeting new people while out for dinner and would rather not bang knees and elbows with fellow diners...odd this is popular with the hipster community seeing that most of the hipsters want nothing to do with dried up old yuppies such as I.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
And as for proximity among patrons, you're much tighter in a space like Madame Claude, which, I get, is a different experience. But for us, it wasn't that uncomfortable sitting at the communal table because we eat at MC all the time, and are accustomed to being close to neighboring customers.

This. Who is complaining about space when we live next to NYC where most restaurants are truly an elbow to elbow setup??? The communal table concept has been a thing for at least 7 or 10 years, with many places doing it out of necessity, but then evolving into a cool way to encourage patrons to interact among themselves. I have found myself many times engaging total strangers in some friendly banter when seated at a communal table. I actually like the concept.

As for table height: it is not an issue of the table being too high, it is the chairs being too low. They COULD fix that by using higher chairs (two inches would make a huge improvement) but I didn't think it detracted from the experience too much.

I can't wait to go back and enjoy another BBQ negroni. I am still thinking of it!

It can't be fixed with taller chairs. The communal table is very thick concrete, so taller chairs will not fit under it. If it was a standard thickness surface, there would be room. The raw, dusty concrete undersurface also tears and dirties pants and skirts.

As for the noise, music volume and hard surfaces cause a lot of reverberations that take away from the ambiance, and force patrons next to you a the communal tables to raise their voices even more. If they want louder music, they should think about their shitty acoustics.

In the meantime, we went to Bouley in NY for a belated Valentines Day dinner, and had much more comfortable seating, with proper height chairs and tables that accommodated everyone from people shorter than use to some really tall Scandinavians next to us. Restaurant seating should be about comfort first, and then the "cool" or "hip" given the need to squeeze people in. Madame Clause's tables are at a proper height, and even when the band is playing, we rarely need to raise our voices, since they use draped and fabric to cut down on echos.

A big difference between NYC tight dining and that communal table is also the sheer width of the table. At City Winery you're elbow-to-elbow with strangers, but also nose-to-nose with your dining companion, so you don't have to shout to be heard.

Might be better to seat dinner partners at Talde side-by-side, instead of across the table from each-other.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
And as for proximity among patrons, you're much tighter in a space like Madame Claude, which, I get, is a different experience. But for us, it wasn't that uncomfortable sitting at the communal table because we eat at MC all the time, and are accustomed to being close to neighboring customers.

This. Who is complaining about space when we live next to NYC where most restaurants are truly an elbow to elbow setup??? The communal table concept has been a thing for at least 7 or 10 years, with many places doing it out of necessity, but then evolving into a cool way to encourage patrons to interact among themselves. I have found myself many times engaging total strangers in some friendly banter when seated at a communal table. I actually like the concept.

As for table height: it is not an issue of the table being too high, it is the chairs being too low. They COULD fix that by using higher chairs (two inches would make a huge improvement) but I didn't think it detracted from the experience too much.

I can't wait to go back and enjoy another BBQ negroni. I am still thinking of it!

It can't be fixed with taller chairs. The communal table is very thick concrete, so taller chairs will not fit under it. If it was a standard thickness surface, there would be room. The raw, dusty concrete undersurface also tears and dirties pants and skirts.

As for the noise, music volume and hard surfaces cause a lot of reverberations that take away from the ambiance, and force patrons next to you a the communal tables to raise their voices even more. If they want louder music, they should think about their shitty acoustics.

In the meantime, we went to Bouley in NY for a belated Valentines Day dinner, and had much more comfortable seating, with proper height chairs and tables that accommodated everyone from people shorter than use to some really tall Scandinavians next to us. Restaurant seating should be about comfort first, and then the "cool" or "hip" given the need to squeeze people in. Madame Clause's tables are at a proper height, and even when the band is playing, we rarely need to raise our voices, since they use draped and fabric to cut down on echos.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Had a weird table height thing at Osteria next door on Saturday. We went downstairs to sit -=- but came back up to the main room as the table was mid-high chest height for this short person.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/23 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
We went and really enjoyed everything. I keep thinking about the lobster tom ka, shrimp salad and crunchy salted chocolate cookies, and we went 2 weeks ago.

If you're prepared for a wait and can enjoy the bar, it's a good experience. I can sorta see what ppl are saying about it being noisy, but my husband and I had no real issue hearing each other.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
And it can't be rectified with taller chairs since the concrete is too thick for a patron's legs to fit under the table.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
I'll agree with the above. I went with my girlfriend on Thursday. There was no wait, and we were seated at the long communal table, which is very awkward for shorter folk like us. I felt like a 5 year old at a grown ups table. It was loud, and we had to keep repeating ourselves.

We ordered the Vietnamese salad, the spring roll, the lobster, wings, and the soup dumplings. Everything was tasty, though the wings were a but dry and over sauced with the sticky sweetness. The plum margarita was tasty.

But, the crowding at the communal table and the noise made it awkward for us to actually enjoy it, and the raw concrete lower\ surface of the communal table left a stain on my girlfriend's office pants that was quite visible. It really should have been scrubbed and washed with acid to remove the concrete dust, or even better, finished smooth, like the tabletop.

We'll go again, but will not sit at that table again. If regular tables or the bar are not open, we'll go elsewhere.

Glad someone else noticed this. I'm avg height and thought that table was about 2-3 inches too high (or chairs too short) as well.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I'll agree with the above. I went with my girlfriend on Thursday. There was no wait, and we were seated at the long communal table, which is very awkward for shorter folk like us. I felt like a 5 year old at a grown ups table. It was loud, and we had to keep repeating ourselves.

We ordered the Vietnamese salad, the spring roll, the lobster, wings, and the soup dumplings. Everything was tasty, though the wings were a but dry and over sauced with the sticky sweetness. The plum margarita was tasty.

But, the crowding at the communal table and the noise made it awkward for us to actually enjoy it, and the raw concrete lower\ surface of the communal table left a stain on my girlfriend's office pants that was quite visible. It really should have been scrubbed and washed with acid to remove the concrete dust, or even better, finished smooth, like the tabletop.

We'll go again, but will not sit at that table again. If regular tables or the bar are not open, we'll go elsewhere.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I went earlier this week and sat at the bar. The food off of the dim sum menu was good, but not mind-blowing (though the plum margarita was SO good).

Blonde ponytailed waitress was indifferent, and kept us waiting awhile before taking our order.

But what struck me most about the place was the noise. Even sitting inches away from my dining companion at the bar, we could barely hear each-other over the din of the crowd and the music (were they playing Billy Joel on repeat ironically?)

So, beautiful place, good drinks, but not a destination I'd plan on again if I want to converse with my dinner partners.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 23:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I went this Wednesday and the food was fantastic.

I made reservations using Open Table, for 2 people at 9PM. We arrived at nine and were seated promptly, at a table, not the row seating.

Service was excellent, nice and prompt.

We ordered the lobster robata - delicious butter basil sauce. The branzino, perfectlt cooked, very yummy. And then the blu crab fried rise - OMG, super delicious. Wish they delivered so I could order that over and over again.

The ambiance was nice, rustic modern decor, 90s music. I didn't think the place was tooloud, but I was seated at a table to that probably helped.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I can't say that I know anything about their reservations, but the place was packed when I went the other night.

My biggest disappointment was with the seating arrangement. While the dining area has a ton of space, I was seated along a row opposite the person I was with. Seated to my left and right, barely elbow room apart, were people I didn't know.

I felt bad for the couple next to me as they were clearly on a first or second date. They spent the night talking loud, just so they could hear each other, across the table on topics that should have been reserved for a more private setting. I found myself often asking for statements to be repeated due to the noise level of the building caused by the crowding. Porta does a similar shared seating setup with their benches, but they at least allow for more room between groups, it seems.

Ultimately, the biggest disappointment was the food. The soup dumplings were doughy, which took away from the soup and meat inside. The Pretzel Pork dumplings were salty and then you dip them in mustard, which is more salt. I didn't understand. I liked the shrimp salad well enough, but it's not enough to bring me back. The wings, while tasty, were rather similar to Bon Chon. I thought the edameme dumplings were a bold attempt and they weren't bad, but they weren't great.

Ultimately, I have no real desire to return. The food wasn't close to being good enough and the seating was terrible.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 14:47
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
What's the deal with reservations at Talde? We didn't think they took them and then friends were there on Wed and they asked if they had them.

When you look on OpenTable, they have nothing available 6:30-9 for a month out (any night), and their voicemail message says reservations for 6+?

Anyone know?

Posted on: 2015/2/15 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I went last night, the service was awesome, I only had an appetizer (cheese & meat platter) with a bottle of wine due to my late lunch with clients. Everything was great, our waiter happened to be a neighbor of ours and he was really on top of it.

The wine he suggested was a bit pricey $80 but so phuken yummy. I would be suggesting this spot to everyone I know. Good food, good times!!

I did stop by the market place, but it was blah IMO not enough products and the products that were there I can get here, so no biggie and I did notice the few pieces of fish. Maybe just get rid of the market and make a larger dining room.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
the soup dumplings are better at Grand Sichuan.

Posted on: 2015/2/14 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Duplicating this here because of all the Carrino seafood posts:

Woohoo! They've added seafood... Sole, shrimp, oysters, salmon, mackerel...

Posted on: 2015/2/14 18:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users
anybody know if they do takeout? probably a silly question but i live half a block away from the place and like eating at home. :/

Posted on: 2015/2/9 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
Just have to add my two cents:
Totally Fantastic place. Drinks, food, bartender, ambiance, just loved everything.

Oh, yeah. In my zeal to talk about the food, I forgot to provide some thoughts on the service, wait staff, and ambiance. Agreed with the statement above: really fantastic all the way around. The waiter was excellent: friendly, talkative, enthusiastic about the food and his job, without being intrusive or obnoxious. Just right. Ambiance was good, but having conversations is a bit hard. The music IS loud. It wasn't rap on Friday (as someone else had remarked of their visit) but more like "cool" pop (not the Top 40 variety of pop) along the lines of remixes and such. My bartender was a young lady who was good at her craft. First time I have been to a restaurant during opening week and not experienced the usual "growing pains". Keep it up, Talde.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 18:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Just have to add my two cents:
Totally Fantastic place. Drinks, food, bartender, ambiance, just loved everything.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Tried this place Thursday. It was busy but a few tables open at around 7 PM, got seated right away. I'm not a fan of communal tables generally (always get seated next to someone with a Fran Drescher voice somehow) but I get that it's a "thing." Also giggling at this place being the 3rd or 4th this year to do the exposed lightbulbs thing (grove kitchen and porta being the others). Artisanal lightbulbs anyone?

Anyhow the food was very, very good. It's like upscale americanized dim sum comfort food. Had the Mc Bao which was clever and delicious. Loved the steamed "bun" texture with the crunchy acid of the pickle and the fatty savory pork. Probably my fav. (also tried the pork dumplings and spring rolls).

Service was very good esp. for a newly opened place - they clearly hired people who know food service.

Price point is about $8-15 for dim sum dishes, $20-35 for entrees - if you prefer traditional dim sum you will think it's overpriced. If you realize they've created an alternate reality version of dim sum that's intended to be more "upscale," you'll think the price is pretty fair.

Another up vote for Talde Jersey City!

Went this past Friday. By the time I arrived (around 8 PM) it was a 90 minute wait for a table. I would never normally wait that long for food but, since I wasn't particularly hungry, I grabbed a spot at the bar, ordered a BBQ negroni and decided to settle in for the night. My negroni was INCREDIBLE. Very well executed. It has an awesome, strong smoky quality that was both unexpected yet pleasantly surprising. After that first negroni, a few appetizers were ordered (pretzel pork dumplings and kung pao wings) and a second round of drinks. The wings, as others have mentioned, were very, very good. Excellent, really. Very crisp, yet moist. Most wings around town are either too crisp and dried out, or fleshy and moist. These were perfection. The pretzel pork dumplings were good, but not great. In all fairness, I am sure that, when perfectly executed, those dumplings would be excellent. The ones I ordered came out a bit overly greasy/oily. I think that it is a VERY popular dish and they are probably making these non stop in the kitchen. The problem, of course, is that it is hard to maintain and ensure perfect results when producing in such quantity and frequency. I would definitely order both dishes again, without hesitation. Flavors and textures were great. Once a table became available (right around 90 minutes, which speaks highly of the hosting staff's ability to provide timely, accurate estimates) we ordered the tuna tartare spring rolls, hot and sour soup dumplings, and kare kare noodles. The spring rolls were really good, but it is a small portion, with three little rolls on a dish. I think they should include a fourth roll. The hot and sour soup dumplings were incredible. Perfect outside (slightly thick, right level of chewiness) and stuffed with soup (squirters!) and the flavors were rich and perfectly balanced. Definitely will order these again. The kare kare was excellent, as well. Slightly spicy, lots of short rib meat, and the noodles were cooked to the point of slight chewiness, just the way I like my Chinese noodles.

I hope to visit again soon, as the first impression was really good. I cannot recommend enough that negroni, which could easily keep me coming back on a semi regular basis even if just to have a drink at the bar.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Tried this place Thursday. It was busy but a few tables open at around 7 PM, got seated right away. I'm not a fan of communal tables generally (always get seated next to someone with a Fran Drescher voice somehow) but I get that it's a "thing." Also giggling at this place being the 3rd or 4th this year to do the exposed lightbulbs thing (grove kitchen and porta being the others). Artisanal lightbulbs anyone?

Anyhow the food was very, very good. It's like upscale americanized dim sum comfort food. Had the Mc Bao which was clever and delicious. Loved the steamed "bun" texture with the crunchy acid of the pickle and the fatty savory pork. Probably my fav. (also tried the pork dumplings and spring rolls).

Service was very good esp. for a newly opened place - they clearly hired people who know food service.

Price point is about $8-15 for dim sum dishes, $20-35 for entrees - if you prefer traditional dim sum you will think it's overpriced. If you realize they've created an alternate reality version of dim sum that's intended to be more "upscale," you'll think the price is pretty fair.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I got there at 7:30 and it took me about 2 minutes to get a single seat at the bar...my husband arrived a few minutes later and it took us about 5-10 more minute to get 2 seats at the bar

people were turning over quickly but you had to really keep an eye out and be ready to move once someone got up

Posted on: 2015/2/6 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We were there on Wednesday night and got seated right away. We ordered four from the Dim SUm section and one entree - the Korean fried chicken.

The Kung Po wings were stellar. Hot, spicy, bold flavor -- they were so good that the other chicken dishes we ordered, the Chicken Bo and the fried chicken paled by comparison. I would not order those dishes again.

We also liked the tuna tartare roll and the pork pretzel dumplings.

Service was fine. Nice beer list. VERY noisy with an annoying rap music overlay.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 15:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info silly.

What time did you go? Did you have to wait to get a seat at the bar?

I was thinking about stopping in for a cocktail and an app this evening to check it out.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
this is the menu (at least for now) http://static1.squarespace.com/static ... 97644397/TALDE-DINNER.pdf

I wouldn't say that it is particularly veg friendly but there are things that could be

we went last night and had a great meal - since it was a wait for a table we got some dim sum at the bar (pretzel pork dumplings and tuna spring rolls) and a few drinks
at our table we got the chicken wings, bacon and oyster pad thai and short ribs entree

loved all the dim sum we tried - it would be hard to say which was best but for me the tuna spring roll was most interesting bc it was served cold with a crisp fried spring roll skin - totally perfect!
We also really liked the short rib entree w the pumpkin curry
personally, I would probably pass on the pad thai next time - it was just too much for me but it was still very well done

I was VERY impressed with the service - probably the best I have ever had in JC especially at a place only open for 3 days! there was a small issue and it was corrected immediately and both the waitress, asst waiter and manager made sure we were happy in the end

I would be prepared for a bit of a wait- they were absolutely PACKED last night until 9:30 pm or so (when finally a few open seats at the bar opened up) - we were told about 45-60 min and probably were seated in about 35-45 (lost track of time after 2 drinks and 2 apps) but I really liked that they were willing to transfer your check to your table so it wasn't the annoying scramble to get the bartender to get you a check while the hostess is staring you down situation I have encountered in other spots

Posted on: 2015/2/6 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vrug wrote:
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
So they had a soft opening tonight. Anyone check it out?

I assume they have a liqour license?

I would say that the menu has something for everyone.

Do they have a vegetarian option?

Posted on: 2015/2/6 14:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/27 18:34
From Historic Downtown, JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:

In an odd collection of circumstances, I've been there twice in the past three days. Tried a wide selection of things now and every single dish ordered was very carefully thought out and executed exceptionally well.

Get down there and order whatever suits your palate. I would say that the menu has something for everyone.

A very good selection of cocktails as well, which is something that the area has been crying out for.

If I had one tip, it would be to leave a bit of room for the Fried Mango Pie dessert. It will hark you back to childhood memories of McDonalds Apple Pie.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/4 18:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/4 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donnajc65 wrote:
We get it, they don't sell fish!! They are not a fish market! Get over it, already! If they sold fish, this tread would complain about the smell of fish when they are getting their cappuccinos. The place is a great addition to DT. They did a great job. I happy to have them in the neighborhood.

+1

Posted on: 2015/2/4 1:30

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017