Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bayonne vs. The Heights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
I'll defer to others who know Bayonne much better than me. But, will just add that we moved to the lower west end of the Heights ("Sparrow Hill" section) several years ago and have found it to be safe and convenient for transportation, recreaton, and shopping. I bike down to Journal Square; but there are buses and jitneys that go to JS as well as to Port Authority. Some of the pluses are Pershing Field Pool and the Reservior (if you want to escape to nature). Some good neighborhood associations. Shop & Stop on Central Avenue is decent and has good prices. It's not nearly as congested as JS which we like (lot of private homes vs. large multi-family houses). Not a lot of night life, which again we like -- but Hoboken is not too far if you're looking to hang out on the weekends.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
If you are a fan of 1975 then you will love Bayonne! I do love going there for some local shopping, but I always feel I stepped into a time machine.

I agree, when I have been in Bayonne I feel as if I have stepped back into the 60's or 70's. Other towns that are like that are Savannah and Charleston.

Catch You On The Flip~side- Bayonne! Make it like it use to be.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/6/10 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
If you are a fan of 1975 then you will love Bayonne! I do love going there for some local shopping, but I always feel I stepped into a time machine.

I agree, when I have been in Bayonne I feel as if I have stepped back into the 60's or 70's. Other towns that are like that are Savannah and Charleston.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Looking at this thread without my glasses I thought it read:

Beyonce vs The Heights. Imagine my disappointed when I put on my specs.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 11:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Bayonne is a funny place. It seems to mostly have children & old people -- and very little in between. It feels like a shore town -- but without the shore. Really it needs to be used as a location for an Indy Film.

Posted on: 2015/6/9 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I thought the Bayonne PD were among the highest paid in NJ, so I figured they were older in age to get that kind of dough?

You would think but even I have seen more youngsters than oldsters. Of course you NEVER see them outside of their car so I wonder if they are real people or just a robotic upper body. Hmmmm.

Posted on: 2015/6/9 11:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/9 10:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I thought the Bayonne PD were among the highest paid in NJ, so I figured they were older in age to get that kind of dough?

Posted on: 2015/6/8 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:
How are the schools in bayonne? They are terrible in the Heights.

There are some fairly good grammar schools in Bayonne. Stick with Horace Mann if you want a good school with a fairly well behaved group of neighborhood kids. The principal has been there a while and is receptive to parent involvement.

Some of the schools have a tougher mix. School 14 has a gifted and talented program that you have to test into at grade 4. The program begins in grade 5 and it's competitive to enter. They've diluted the program a bit in the past few years - and School 14 has a tough mix of kids in their non-gifted upper classes. The G&T teachers are an excellent and dedicated mix of professionals.

Bayonne's afterschool theatre program is great as well - demanding and well run for the most part.

Based upon my experience, Bayonne is better than JC public schools (but it's still a public school education and not that rigorous in my opinion). I'd have to agree that the High School is not that great, although new programs are emerging.

The problem with Bayonne is that it is a very insular community. If you're not born and raised in Bayonne (and there are an astonishing number of people living there that are B&Rs), you may have trouble "fitting in," without great effort. There is a very established core of people running that town and it gets odd at times. I haven't lived there for a number of years, but their police department was horrendous, and I'm generally a positive supporter of first responders.

My brother lives in Bayonne. He said two things you ABSOLUTELY do not do under penalty of death is put your garbage out early & fail to cut your grass. About the police dept. he says to remember that former Mayor Smith was on the force & shot himself in the foot. Also most of the officers are so young that they need permission slips from their mommies & daddies to be out after dark. About the fire department - well they haven't lost a single foundation yet. They do have one of the worst Wal-Marts I have ever seen.

Posted on: 2015/6/8 22:59

Bayonne
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City's best kept secret.

Holla !

Posted on: 2015/6/8 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

As an alum of Horace Mann, I must say that it has consistently been one of the top schools in Bayonne. The others that i would include are Robinson, Midtown, Vroom(which used to be the gifted and talented school) and Lincoln.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

There are some fairly good grammar schools in Bayonne. Stick with Horace Mann if you want a good school with a fairly well behaved group of neighborhood kids. The principal has been there a while and is receptive to parent involvement.

Some of the schools have a tougher mix. School 14 has a gifted and talented program that you have to test into at grade 4. The program begins in grade 5 and it's competitive to enter. They've diluted the program a bit in the past few years - and School 14 has a tough mix of kids in their non-gifted upper classes. The G&T teachers are an excellent and dedicated mix of professionals.

Bayonne's afterschool theatre program is great as well - demanding and well run for the most part.

Based upon my experience, Bayonne is better than JC public schools (but it's still a public school education and not that rigorous in my opinion). I'd have to agree that the High School is not that great, although new programs are emerging.

The problem with Bayonne is that it is a very insular community. If you're not born and raised in Bayonne (and there are an astonishing number of people living there that are B&Rs), you may have trouble "fitting in," without great effort. There is a very established core of people running that town and it gets odd at times. I haven't lived there for a number of years, but their police department was horrendous, and I'm generally a positive supporter of first responders.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 4:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Bayonne certainly has it charms, but it might as well be near Maplewood for all it's accessibility. Yeah there's the rail, but from the west side of downtown it'll take you an hour+ to get to the 33rd st PATH.

If all you want to get and do once you come home from work is there in town, just like any suburb I guess that works, but it's not a "city" experience with the access and cultural richness some of us expect. I run up to the Heights from Downtown and down from there to Hoboken all the time, it's nothing. Heading down to True World Bait & Tackle on Bwy and 36th on the other hand is an expedition, either a slow drag down Grand-Garfield to Bwy or getting on the freakin turnpike to get there.

I can't imagine how long the bus ride is for Bayonne kids at Hi Tech high school...

Posted on: 2015/1/15 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Avenue B and Avenue A are nice streets to explore. Also check out the blocks off Avenue A the lead over to the Newark Bay.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 23:16
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Benanti's. 22nd St Meat Market. The Bayonne city miniature golf course. A short stretch of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway that is quite nice. A nice clean multiplex. Bayonne has a lot going for it. Parking is about as bad in the Heights, and probably equally territorial.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
The Shop Rite on Avenue C around 24th/25th street is great; terrific bakery. Lots of decent shops on Broadway. Al Richards Chocolatier is very good as is Judicke's Bakery. Lot of decently priced places to eat though not approaching the level of some of our downtown eateries. If you need a good gym, go to the Forum just west of Broadway on 24th(?); it's opposite the McDonald's (lol).

On the downside you have the most expensive (CarePoint) hospital in the lower 48 & a bunch of doctors with unpronounceable Polish names.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 22:34

Edited by HeightsBrat on 2015/1/14 22:57:20
Reason: Add to the post

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Id recommend driving around in Bayonne to get a feel of it. Lots of new development is coming in line. Id say 7 to 8 years its going to be very yuppie. There has been more new cafes an restaurants opening in Bayonne lately. A few art galleries have opened up, albeit small. If you take the bus or light-rail to commute you can be on the Path train in 25 minutes during rush hour.

The housing indeed around Stephan Gregg Park is great. I lived a block away from it.

The grammar schools are amazing in Bayonne. The high school was a gem in the late 90s and early 2000s. It was a blue ribbon school. Now its terrible and many of the teachers there don't care, Also its overcrowded.....Bayonne needs another high school but that's not going to happen. The only saving grace is if your kid gets into their honors program which recently spun off into its own school within a school.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kimmygo wrote:

Very good, this is why GV parents try to sneak their kids in. Bayonne just pass some law to ensure GV kids stay out.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 18:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/14 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I would think about what stores I can walk to.

I would also think about the doctors and hospitals in the area, in case of an emergency. Do they take your insurance? Are they in network?

Posted on: 2015/1/14 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Bayonne is cleaner, quieter, and more small town than the Heights. That is pretty much the good AND bad of it. The Heights has way more potential in terms of art, music and food culture evolving within the next 5-10 years. With Bayonne that's more like a 15-20 year potential. But this may not be important in your decision making.

My favorite areas of Bayonne are around Hudson County Park, and downtown near 4th St and Kennedy. Keep in mind that the quickest commute to NYC from Bayonne will be from uptown (40th+) which is not the prettiest area of the city IMHO.

P.S. I grew up in Bayonne but if I were looking to buy right now, I'd pick the Heights. I think it's a more diverse, interesting place to live and it's much easier to take advantage of downtown JC and NYC from there. Bayonne is awkward to get in/out of quickly by car or transit and I think that promotes a bit of a townie mentality.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I like the downtown area of Bayonne it's not developed like JC's downtown area but that's what I like about it. If you work in Manhattan then look for places near a light rail, Bayonne has about four stations. Bayonne is pricier than the heights but once you spend time in both you will understand why. Bayonne is my neighbor and I spend a lot time there shopping and eating, it's a step back into time. It has a small town feel with NYC views. The heights feels more urban and some parts are dirty.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 12:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/8 18:36
Group:
Registered Users
Right now Bayonne is a lot nicer than the Heights. There are a few bad spots in Bayonne such as around Avenue C in the low 20's and high teen's area. But if you are looking long term I think the Heights is a better bet. If you work in Manhattan the commute from Bayonne is horrible. It will take you over an hour when your only 5 miles away. The Heights has major potential, Downtown JC and Hoboken's high prices has forced people to look elsewhere and many business people are checking out the Heights, easy commute into Manhattan either from JSQ or Light Rail on Congress St. or commuter vans from Palisade Ave. or from the Blvd. I think in the next 5 years you will see a major upswing in the Heights that will surpass Bayonne.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
I'm looking at buying a place in either The Heights or Bayonne in the next few months. I'm more familiar with the nicer areas of the heights around Pershing Field. Can anyone point me in the right direction to look in Bayonne?

Take a look around the park on the Blvd.(Stephen Gregg?). There are lovely houses in that area on the western side of Avenue A.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 12:18

Bayonne vs. The Heights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking at buying a place in either The Heights or Bayonne in the next few months. I'm more familiar with the nicer areas of the heights around Pershing Field. Can anyone point me in the right direction to look in Bayonne?

Posted on: 2015/1/14 10:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017