Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 »

Re: Fulop wants to change the election from May to November
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Uhmmmm..., I did not get my paper ballot, so will vote first thing in the morning. I don't think it will be a wash for one side of the question but the idea of saving money is paramount in my mind, as well as getting a higher turnout..., at least in the first round. I don't expect much change in the runoff turnout whether in June or Dec and I wish the USA was joining advanced countries like O'Canada with their instant runoff ballot. That or mandatory participation would ensure better participation in our Plutoc.. I mean Democracy.

Oh I would vote for 3h parking downtown instead of 2h if it was ever on the ballot, it is important that people of a certain age have a chance to enjoy their lunch or doctor appointment without worrying in the waiting room. I truly support Candice recommendation on that one.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:

I'm also convinced that moving the election DOES NOT provide a fallback plan for our Mayor. Fulop would have to submit his petitions for the mayoral race prior to the gubernatorial primary, if that happened Sweeney and Murphy would have a field day and it could wreck Fulop's chances for the primary (while his gubernatorial run would hurt his chances in the mayoral).

No, nonpartisan municipal candidates do not have to file until late August in November races.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:

I'm also convinced that moving the election DOES NOT provide a fallback plan for our Mayor. Fulop would have to submit his petitions for the mayoral race prior to the gubernatorial primary, if that happened Sweeney and Murphy would have a field day and it could wreck Fulop's chances for the primary (while his gubernatorial run would hurt his chances in the mayoral).

No, sir. Petitions for November elections need to be filed 63 days before the election - which usually works out to the beginning of September or the very end of August. The gubernatorial primary is the first Tuesday of June. It 100% would be a fallback for Fulop and is the primary reason he is pushing for it.

Is this why he was pushing for it back in 2010 after the legislature changed the law? We've got a pretty clairvoyant mayor... :)

Nah, the fall back plan for him maybe wasn't his major reason for this support in 2010. But you better believe its a major factor for him now.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:

No, sir. Petitions for November elections need to be filed 63 days before the election - which usually works out to the beginning of September or the very end of August. The gubernatorial primary is the first Tuesday of June. It 100% would be a fallback for Fulop and is the primary reason he is pushing for it.

Is this why he was pushing for it back in 2010 after the legislature changed the law? We've got a pretty clairvoyant mayor... :)

Posted on: 2015/10/26 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop hoping voters opt to move Jersey City's election day

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
October 26, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Voters could make an historic decision next week that would lead to the biggest change to Jersey City's political scene since the city abandoned its commission form of government 54 years ago.

A question on next Tuesday's general election ballot, backed by Mayor Steve Fulop, asks voters whether the city's nonpartisan mayoral and City Council elections should move from May to November.

Though the question is a non-binding referendum, council members are expected to use the results to decide whether to make the change in time for the 2017 race. The switch would add an extra six months to each council members' term, and to Fulop's, and it would also push runoff elections to early December.

Read more;  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _moving_election_day.html

Posted on: 2015/10/26 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:

Yep, absolutely right.

Pebble: Yes, campaign fatigue. Think about it. Now 15-25+ offices running at once with multiple nominees will hit all of us with lit, phone calls, please for money, door knocking, etc. in the many months leading up to this.

Yay...not.

I am thinking about it. As it is now, I get litter on my property all throughout the year. At least with this option, I might get it all at once.

I also don't think it is hard to think about different positions at the same time.

Then we agree to disagree then.

For me, the cons far outweigh the pros.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:

Yep, absolutely right.

Pebble: Yes, campaign fatigue. Think about it. Now 15-25+ offices running at once with multiple nominees will hit all of us with lit, phone calls, please for money, door knocking, etc. in the many months leading up to this.

Yay...not.

I am thinking about it. As it is now, I get litter on my property all throughout the year. At least with this option, I might get it all at once.

I also don't think it is hard to think about different positions at the same time.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 19:49
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
OneSkirt, you probably wrote this for Fulop, the Judge struck the language of voter fatigue and the amount of money being saved. He thought those comments were not appropriate. He kept in the language of moving the election from May to November and stated there must be runoffs.

Huh?? I don't even know what you are talking about. I'm agreeing with you...

I'm talking about the actual ballot language, I'm talking about it in pro vs. con language (interpretive).

Posted on: 2015/10/26 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:

Yep, absolutely right.

Yay...not.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
OneSkirt, you probably wrote this for Fulop, the Judge struck the language of voter fatigue and the amount of money being saved. He thought those comments were not appropriate. He kept in the language of moving the election from May to November and stated there must be runoffs.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/26 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
My personal opinion:

Pros:
1. Might reduce voter fatigue

2. Might save money (though $400,000 I believe was quoted, which isn't all that much imho)

Saving taxpayer money and increasing voter turnout are massive positives. In my opinion, I don?t see your negatives as outweighing these positives?

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Cons (in no particular order):
1. Lets Fulop run for Mayor again with only 3 months to jump in the campaign if he loses nod for governor, using JC as a fall back plan and usurping other candidates who would have already invested much more time and money in their own campaigns. I'm not ok with any mayor using JC as a fall back plan!

Not exactly true. Fulop can run for governor but he would need to win the Democratic nominee. That is where it is a fallback. It is my understanding that if he?s running for Governor, he won?t be on the ballot for mayor. The idea here is that if he does not get the Dem nod, he can still run for mayor. This is a likelihood given Sweeney?s current position.

I don?t see it as a full-on fallback. It?s sort of like applying for a newer, higher paying job while still being employed. It doesn?t mean he doesn?t like his present job, it is that he?d really like the other job but would be happy where he is if he doesn?t get the other gig.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
2. Extends Council and Mayoral terms by 6 more months.

Yes, this would happen. Do you think those currently in office would somehow burn the city to the ground if given a relatively short extension?!

By leaving the election in May it is more likely that they would receive a full term extension over just 6 months. It is a small sacrifice for driving better competition at the polls.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
3. Creates a jammed ballot, potentially confusing voters and leaving them more apt to only partially complete their ballots.

This was covered previously:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
The voting machines and their graphic design do seriously suck. But that's a lame reason to continue the terrible practice of all these random elections with low turnout and voter fatigue. Hoboken did this and the sky did not fall. Traditionally the HCDO has loved the off elections, since a far higher proportion of the turnout is their paid faithful if turnout is low.

Maybe the money saved can be put towards a new voting system. One with paper trail, big touch screens and different screen pages for different elections on the same day. That way you can't miss a vote, it will ask "do you choose not to vote on this issue?" Properly designed, it would be easy to have a "whole slate" button, or pick and choose, and a summary page at the end before you finish to review and avoid the "Manzo v Manzo" type mistakes. Had FL had this last in 2000, we would not have have had GWB for 8 years.

You also need to put a little faith in your neighbors that they will be competent enough at the polls to do their due diligence.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
4. Creates voter fatigue during the months leading up to the elections ("campaign fatigue") with an even greater onslaught of simultaneous campaigning - national, state, and municipal which includes Mayor, full council, free holders, county exec, school board and committee persons.

Huh?!

It?s removing fatigue and creating it at the same time??

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
5. May draw more people to the polls, but doesn't guarantee more voter participation given the jammed/long ballot. There's no requirement to check every box on a ballot for any voter. I can see most people voting for President, US Senate & HR Reps, Governor, maybe state assembly, Mayor, and maybe county exec. Fatigue will set in and people will likely start to wane/fall off on checking any boxes for Council persons (4 people), Freeholder, Committee Persons, School Board(!), and the public questions.

Other places that have implemented this have seen local participation increase. That?s just the data. Whether or not they choose to vote in certain elections is their right.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
6. Creates run-off elections in December, where cold/bad weather will reduce voter turnout.

Too hot. Too cold. Vacation season? There are lots of reasons and excuses that people give for not voting. At least putting it at a time when there is a likelihood of increased participation we will have a more decisive winner. We?re also more likely to get more people returning if they participated the first time?

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
7. Cannot be changed back to May for 10 years if it passes - we're stuck if we don't like it in practice.

This is certainly interesting. However, it seems like a logical fail-safe given that we don?t want this changing so every election and causing problems amongst the electorate.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I think it's a terrible idea and will be voting NO for all of the above reasons. The cons far out-weigh the Pros here.

Your reasons are your own. I happen to disagree and don?t see the listed negatives as real.

I think it is absolutely true that the driving force behind this is Fulop?s desire to run for governor and still be given a chance to be mayor if he isn?t the Democratic candidate. Despite the selfish cause, the results will benefit the city and its residents.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 17:56
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
The NJ.com article posted in message #30 of this thread states:

"The move would also give Fulop a safety net if he decides to run for governor."

While some people may be able to "convince" themselves of anything, I will take the word of NJ.com until it is conclusively proven otherwise. Now it makes a lot more sense why Fulop hired an outside law firm to fight Yvonne's lawsuit.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
My personal opinion:

Pros:

2. Might save money (though $400,000 I believe was quoted, which isn't all that much imho)

1. Lets Fulop run for Mayor again with only 3 months to jump in the campaign if he loses nod for governor, using JC as a fall back plan and usurping other candidates who would have already invested much more time and money in their own campaigns. I'm not ok with any mayor using JC as a fall back plan!

3. Creates a jammed ballot, potentially confusing voters and leaving them more apt to only partially complete their ballots.

4. Creates voter fatigue during the months leading up to the elections ("campaign fatigue") with an even greater onslaught of simultaneous campaigning - national, state, and municipal which includes Mayor, full council, free holders, county exec, school board and committee persons.

5. May draw more people to the polls, but doesn't guarantee more voter participation given the jammed/long ballot. There's no requirement to check every box on a ballot for any voter. I can see most people voting for President, US Senate & HR Reps, Governor, maybe state assembly, Mayor, and maybe county exec. Fatigue will set in and people will likely start to wane/fall off on checking any boxes for Council persons (4 people), Freeholder, Committee Persons, School Board(!), and the public questions.

6. Creates run-off elections in December, where cold/bad weather will reduce voter turnout.

7. Cannot be changed back to May for 10 years if it passes - we're stuck if we don't like it in practice.

I think it's a terrible idea and will be voting NO for all of the above reasons. The cons far out-weigh the Pros here.

You missed a huge positive... greater participation reduces machine politics. The reason why Cunningham supports keeping elections in May is because she is dependent on low-turnout to win.

Regarding positive 1, it is proven by numerous studies that it will reduce voter fatigue.

As for your concerns, they are nearly all hypothetical without any research to back them up.

With regard to concern 4, you really want to have it both ways dont you...

As for concern 3, it seems you think pretty poorly of your neighbors in terms of their intelligence...

Posted on: 2015/10/26 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Thank God the judge said there must be runoffs, so voters are going to come out in December when there could be a snow storm to vote in a runoff? I doubt it.

Truth is, voters hardly go to the polls during the may election (which is why we should move it to november), but even fewer show up to the run-offs.

If anything actually adds confusion to the election process it is run-offs. I wish we got rid of them completely.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My personal opinion:

Pros:

Posted on: 2015/10/26 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank God the judge said there must be runoffs, so voters are going to come out in December when there could be a snow storm to vote in a runoff? I doubt it.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sen. Cunningham: "The right to vote is our most precious right in this country and must be taken seriously,"
"therefore we should keep it in May, when turnout is incredibly low, which tends to benefit the incumbent"

what a joke

Posted on: 2015/10/26 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Sen. Cunningham: Vote 'no' on moving Jersey City election day

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
October 25, 2015 at 6:25 PM

State Sen. Sandra B. Cunningham is joining the opposition to a referendum on November's ballot that could lead to Jersey City moving city elections from May to November.

Cunningham, D-Jersey City, said in a press release that November city races, added to statewide and school board races, would "create an overwhelming, confusing ballot."

"The right to vote is our most precious right in this country and must be taken seriously," she said. "To maintain the integrity of our elections, residents should vote no on changing Jersey City's Election Day. Let's keep it in May."

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ng_jersey_city_elect.html

Posted on: 2015/10/26 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I believe few understand the council is voting to extend their terms as well as the mayor's term six extra months. Can you imagine if Obama did that?

Posted on: 2015/1/16 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

not making it effective until the current mayor and council leave office - bad deal.

Dan -- Can they make it effective 2021 instead of 2017? I'm not so sure. This is language from the state law, and it reads to me like the council that makes the change is the one that has its term extended:

The term of any person in office on the date of the adoption of such an ordinance shall be extended until the beginning of the term of the person elected to that office on the day of the general election in November

Posted on: 2015/1/16 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the post Terrence, JC and Hoboken are under the Faulkner Act as municipalities. I was told by an insider there Zimmer wanted this done without this being on the ballot but was stopped. Interesting, Santora was correct, people were coping with Sandy and many did not vote. So that 75% approval rate in Hoboken is hard to swallow.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fulop had no choice to place this on the ballot. Zimmer wanted this done too but was told she had to place in on the ballot in Hoboken. It is not that Fulop is generous it is a requirement of law.

I do not believe that is the case, Yvonne. The way I read the law, municipalities make the change via ordinance. A councilman in Byram, the first town to move its election after the state law passed, said the town's council made the decision, not voters.

On the Tuesday after the first Monday in November, in each municipality that has passed an ordinance pursuant to section 1 of P.L. , c. (C. ) (now pending before the Legislature as this bill), there shall be elected at a regular municipal election held pursuant to the "Uniform Nonpartisan Elections Law," P.L.1981, c.379 (C.40:45-5 et seq.), the number of persons as hereinbefore provided as commissioners to serve for the term of 4 years and until their successors shall have been elected and duly qualified. The term of office of all succeeding commissioners shall commence at twelve o'clock noon on the Tuesday after the second Monday in November next ensuing their election.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Jersey City council approves measure to allow voters to decide date of elections

By Patrick McGovern | The Jersey Journal
January 15, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Two controversial issues dominated the conversation at Wednesday night?s Jersey City City Council meeting ? giving voters the choice of changing the date of municipal elections from May to November and the privatization of Liberty State Park.

By a 7-1-1 vote, the council adopted a resolution placing a referendum of the ballot of the next general election as to whether or not the city council should change the date of the municipal election from the second Tuesday in May to the day of the general election in November.

Read more:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... t_meeti.html#incart_river

I am sure the haters like Yvonne will follow Yun's logic and conclude it is a BAD IDEA to have voters DECIDE for themselves. Only in their bird brains can a democracy do wrong by letting voters decide on something as important as to when to hold elections.

Sorry to disappoint, Fulop had no choice to place this on the ballot. Zimmer wanted this done too but was told she had to place in on the ballot in Hoboken. It is not that Fulop is generous it is a requirement of law. But let's remember why this is being done, it is just a safety net for Fulop. So along with the general election, the public will notice a crowded ballot with questions, board of ed candidates, assembly people, state senators, governors and maybe thirty to sixty names from a municipal election. And let's not forget those third party candidates which takes up the whole screen at election time. Nothing but chaos.

Even if everything you said is true, it's still going to be up to the voters. I don't understand how anyone could have a problem with this action.

If people vote for this change, be mad at the voters, not Fulop.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Jersey City council approves measure to allow voters to decide date of elections

Two controversial issues dominated the conversation at Wednesday night?s Jersey City City Council meeting ? giving voters the choice of changing the date of municipal elections from May to November and the privatization of Liberty State Park.

By a 7-1-1 vote, the council adopted a resolution placing a referendum of the ballot of the next general election as to whether or not the city council should change the date of the municipal election from the second Tuesday in May to the day of the general election in November.

Read more:

I am sure the haters like Yvonne will follow Yun's logic and conclude it is a BAD IDEA to have voters DECIDE for themselves. Only in their bird brains can a democracy do wrong by letting voters decide on something as important as to when to hold elections.

Sorry to disappoint, Fulop had no choice to place this on the ballot. Zimmer wanted this done too but was told she had to place in on the ballot in Hoboken. It is not that Fulop is generous it is a requirement of law. But let's remember why this is being done, it is just a safety net for Fulop. So along with the general election, the public will notice a crowded ballot with questions, board of ed candidates, assembly people, state senators, governors and maybe thirty to sixty names from a municipal election. And let's not forget those third party candidates which takes up the whole screen at election time. Nothing but chaos.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
putting it to referendum - good

moving the election to November - good

not making it effective until the current mayor and council leave office - bad deal

now all this concern that this change somehow gives the current mayor some kind of fall back - there has been chatter for a while that governor Christie could leave office early to begin a presidential run, forcing a special election to complete his term, moving the wide open election for governor up in time, and resulting in our mayor also leaving office early. who knows.

i guess its all a chess game.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:

Read more:

Posted on: 2015/1/15 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Read more:

Posted on: 2015/1/15 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Ah, the good old electoral college system with its 270 vote minimum that's supposed to make our democracy so great. We are the only democracy in the world with such a system and it's dumb, antiquated and should have been disposed of a long time ago. Did you know there have been FOUR presidential elections (including 2000, in case you don't remember) where a candidate won with LESS popular vote than the loser?

The first three instances were more than 125 years ago, so not too much to talk about there (except for the peculiarity of the very first instance, in which a president [John Quincy Adams] was elected into office having won neither the popular vote nor the electoral college vote!) and so you could argue that this whole electoral college thing is a red herring. The most recent instance (the infamous 2000 election and the Florida fiasco) is the only case in recent times in which the electoral college vote result differed from that of the popular vote. Based on the facts to date, it seems like the Electoral College idea is working just fine.

Basically, Fulop's supporters are saying JC's one percent residents are eligible to win an election. You are throwing the baby out with the bath water. You are trashing democracy so Fulop can have a safety net.

Not really understanding how having the election in November favors the 1% but I'm sure you'll be spending plenty of time at the city council meetings to tell everyone how.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Ah, the good old electoral college system with its 270 vote minimum that's supposed to make our democracy so great. We are the only democracy in the world with such a system and it's dumb, antiquated and should have been disposed of a long time ago. Did you know there have been FOUR presidential elections (including 2000, in case you don't remember) where a candidate won with LESS popular vote than the loser?

The first three instances were more than 125 years ago, so not too much to talk about there (except for the peculiarity of the very first instance, in which a president [John Quincy Adams] was elected into office having won neither the popular vote nor the electoral college vote!) and so you could argue that this whole electoral college thing is a red herring. The most recent instance (the infamous 2000 election and the Florida fiasco) is the only case in recent times in which the electoral college vote result differed from that of the popular vote. Based on the facts to date, it seems like the Electoral College idea is working just fine.

Basically, Fulop's supporters are saying JC's one percent residents are eligible to win an election. You are throwing the baby out with the bath water. You are trashing democracy so Fulop can have a safety net.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 17:05

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017