Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Christie & Cuomo Support Eliminating Weekend Overnight PATH Service
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I think he means the Pulaski Skyway. In any case, yes, the Port Authority screws over the public on a daily basis, because they can.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
At what point was the GWB shut down? Are you confused with the Ft Lee local access lanes being coned off for a couple of days??

Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
I tried calling the Port Authority and asking about this, all I get is "we don't know anything". No response to emails either.

The PATH manages to recover 41% of its costs from fares. Not great, but FAR higher than the 7% that the stupid RiverLine that goes from Trenton to Camden recovers, and Christie has nothing to say about that. The PATH train transports over 240,000 people a day, the RiverLine maybe 10,000 on a good day. Am I missing something here?

Maybe youre missing that Christie is a shitty politician that happens to not care about most of the citizens that live here. Only making big waves before a presidential run.

As for Port Authority, lets review what that garbage of an agency has done just this year.
1. Shut down one of the busiest bridges in the country, made no official apology of letting such corruption take place
2. Cut PATH service for about a year to WTC at night
3. Then continued to raise fares for bridges, tunnels and the PATH.
4. Now they want to Cut more service altogether at night to save chump change when they are dumping money into other things that are wasting much more than $10 million.

All PA does is #OOPS# over the public who need it. And no one is to blame and no one can stop it. This is basically criminal activity.

Posted on: 2015/1/5 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
At what point was the GWB shut down? Are you confused with the Ft Lee local access lanes being coned off for a couple of days??

Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
I tried calling the Port Authority and asking about this, all I get is "we don't know anything". No response to emails either.

The PATH manages to recover 41% of its costs from fares. Not great, but FAR higher than the 7% that the stupid RiverLine that goes from Trenton to Camden recovers, and Christie has nothing to say about that. The PATH train transports over 240,000 people a day, the RiverLine maybe 10,000 on a good day. Am I missing something here?

Maybe youre missing that Christie is a shitty politician that happens to not care about most of the citizens that live here. Only making big waves before a presidential run.

As for Port Authority, lets review what that garbage of an agency has done just this year.
1. Shut down one of the busiest bridges in the country, made no official apology of letting such corruption take place
4. Now they want to Cut more service altogether at night to save chump change when they are dumping money into other things that are wasting much more than $10 million.

All PA does is #OOPS# over the public who need it. And no one is to blame and no one can stop it. This is basically criminal activity.

Posted on: 2015/1/5 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/5 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users

EDIT: Oh, silly me. If they cut service on the RiverLine that hardly anyone rides, it all gets blamed on Christie. If they cut service on the PATH, he can say "Cuomo made me do it!". Yes, I'm sure most of the population is that ignorant.

Posted on: 2015/1/5 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Officials to call on Port Authority to do away with proposal to cancel overnight PATH service

By Julie Kayzerman | The Jersey Journal
January 04, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Several Hudson County officials will join forces with other officials tomorrow to call on the Port Authority to to cancel its proposal to eliminate the overnight PATH service.

The press conference, which will include federal, state, and local elected officials, is scheduled for 2 p.m. at the Grove Street PATH Station in Jersey City.

A slew of officials are scheduled to attend, including Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop, U.S. Rep. Albio Sires, Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer, Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto, Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, North Bergen Mayor and state Sen. Nick Sacco, Union City Mayor and state Sen. Brian Stack, and state Sen. Sandra Cunningham.

In a report released over the holidays -- and signed off on by Govs. Chris Christie of New Jersey and Andrew Cuomo of New York -- the Port Authority proposes to eliminate PATH service 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. weeknights as a cost-savings measure.

Read more:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _path_reduction_plan.html

Posted on: 2015/1/5 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/3 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Can we stop the baiter and trolls and get back to the core of the issues? Oh, I'm sorry, it's JClist. My bad!

What is there really to discuss? Seems like anyone who has a shred of intelligence is against this move. For it to even be on the table is politics at its worst.

I am guessing we will have to wait for more news to come out.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Can we stop the baiter and trolls and get back to the core of the issues? Oh, I'm sorry, it's JClist. My bad!

Posted on: 2015/1/1 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
this is what i get for feeding the troll.

i should know better.

Resized Image

I asked a legitimate question and you responded with name calling, hysterical rants and personal attacks on my intellectual abilities. If you aren't satisfied with how this conversation turned out it's not my fault.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
this is what i get for feeding the troll.

i should know better.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/1/1 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
First, a "strawman" is when someone invents a false position for their opponent, presumably because they have no idea how to attack the real position. I understand that you can't resist an urge to call your opponent names, but there is really no excuse for not knowing what them words mean.

Second, I see that you did answer my original question, and your answer is (A) PATH is pretty up-to-date, suffers from no outages and doesn't need any major improvements.

Interesting. Thank you.

Any other opinions?

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Boris. Sigh.

There are no "major improvements" to be done, aside from their change to the signal system that has to happen on all parts of the line aside from EXP and WTC because they've done that already. That is a one-time thing. Your post is nothing but strawmans and idiocy. Their reasoning is bullshit.

here, let's answer your questions, just to show how goddamn stupid they are..

a) path just got new cars. because of obvious payola and corruption, they got the cheapest cars available and they're starting to malfunction already (this is a conversation i had with a conductor btw. person in charge of said purchase retired as soon as the deal was done. what a shock). path is putting in a new signal system. as far as US mass transit goes, yea it's actually fairly up to date. i think it could stand to gain about 2 or 3 new lines (south to bayonne, west to secaucus, north to meet the mythical 7-line in weehawken, so my version of major improvements are probably different from yours, but yea, i differ on pretty much everything you think it seems, so big surprise.

b) improvements are always done at night. grats on your stupid question. cancelling service for good has nothing to do with doing service work. ask me about the price of tea in china, it might have more relevance.

c) service delays and interruptions are not the same thing as cancelling service. again, grats on your stupid question. cancelling service for good has nothing to do with doing service work. ask me about the price of tea in china, it might have more relevance.

Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Interesting. I have a question to all those who so vehemently disapprove of the idea to interrupt service on weekend nights. Could you clarify which one is it?

(a) Do you think that PATH is pretty up-to-date, suffers from no outages and doesn't need any major improvements?

(b) Do you want those major improvements to be done at some other times?

(c) Do you want those major improvements to be done without service interruptions?

ah, we can always count on boris for his logical fallacies. thanks for never changing.

if you bothered to read the post, which obviously, you didn't, because that would take some slight amount of intelligence, you'd have noted that it isn't for repairs, it's for "operational and capital expense savings"

but thanks for playing, boris. it's truly nice to know that we can depend on you for an ignorant comment that has nothing to do with the topic.

Dear corybraiterman,

Right after the part that you quoted there is a phrase that actually explains what "caputal expense savings" means. Allow me to quote: "capital savings would result from allowing capital improvements to be conducted without train interruption".

In order to find this phrase, you need open the original post that started this discussion (yes, that same post that allowed you to brag how intelligent you are being able to read it), click on the second link, and read the text that the link leads to (not just the highlighted part, but all of it).

I leave the rest of the exercise to you.

Thanks.

P.S. In the future, if you don't understand something I write (and I'm going to rely on your claim it happens often), you should just ask politely.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Boris. Sigh.

There are no "major improvements" to be done, aside from their change to the signal system that has to happen on all parts of the line aside from EXP and WTC because they've done that already. That is a one-time thing. Your post is nothing but strawmans and idiocy. Their reasoning is bullshit.

here, let's answer your questions, just to show how goddamn stupid they are..

a) path just got new cars. because of obvious payola and corruption, they got the cheapest cars available and they're starting to malfunction already (this is a conversation i had with a conductor btw. person in charge of said purchase retired as soon as the deal was done. what a shock). path is putting in a new signal system. as far as US mass transit goes, yea it's actually fairly up to date. i think it could stand to gain about 2 or 3 new lines (south to bayonne, west to secaucus, north to meet the mythical 7-line in weehawken, so my version of major improvements are probably different from yours, but yea, i differ on pretty much everything you think it seems, so big surprise.

b) improvements are always done at night. grats on your stupid question. cancelling service for good has nothing to do with doing service work. ask me about the price of tea in china, it might have more relevance.

c) service delays and interruptions are not the same thing as cancelling service. again, grats on your stupid question. cancelling service for good has nothing to do with doing service work. ask me about the price of tea in china, it might have more relevance.

Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Interesting. I have a question to all those who so vehemently disapprove of the idea to interrupt service on weekend nights. Could you clarify which one is it?

(a) Do you think that PATH is pretty up-to-date, suffers from no outages and doesn't need any major improvements?

(c) Do you want those major improvements to be done without service interruptions?

ah, we can always count on boris for his logical fallacies. thanks for never changing.

if you bothered to read the post, which obviously, you didn't, because that would take some slight amount of intelligence, you'd have noted that it isn't for repairs, it's for "operational and capital expense savings"

but thanks for playing, boris. it's truly nice to know that we can depend on you for an ignorant comment that has nothing to do with the topic.

Dear corybraiterman,

Right after the part that you quoted there is a phrase that actually explains what "caputal expense savings" means. Allow me to quote: "capital savings would result from allowing capital improvements to be conducted without train interruption".

In order to find this phrase, you need open the original post that started this discussion (yes, that same post that allowed you to brag how intelligent you are being able to read it), click on the second link, and read the text that the link leads to (not just the highlighted part, but all of it).

Thanks.

P.S. In the future, if you don't understand something I write (and I'm going to rely on your claim it happens often), you should just ask politely.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 9:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:

Dear corybraiterman,

Thanks.

Boris - we all know this Frankenstein shouldn't exist.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:

Dear corybraiterman,

Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

score09 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

score09 wrote:
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:
As I've seen a few others point out, overnight PATH service is also a safety issue -- how many of the people you see on the late-night weekend trains would you be comfortable seeing get behind the wheel of a car?

What?!? As if some Path riders double as taxi drivers?

And What?!? As if a taxi driver poses a threat?

Completely befuddled.

seriously? you are befuddled by the notion that, with no mass transit options, more NYC-bound partiers might opt instead to drive? and then drive home to NJ drunk?

this, to me, is a legitimate downside to eliminating overnight PATH service.

sorry if you cannot see it.

Oh, so the idea is that it's better a fellow on the train than behind the wheel? Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Because, clear not at all, was the post I responded to. It read as if path riders were to transform as taxi drivers, lol. Sorry, you couldn't see that as the impetus of reply.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

score09 wrote:
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:
As I've seen a few others point out, overnight PATH service is also a safety issue -- how many of the people you see on the late-night weekend trains would you be comfortable seeing get behind the wheel of a car?

Completely befuddled.

seriously? you are befuddled by the notion that, with no mass transit options, more NYC-bound partiers might opt instead to drive? and then drive home to NJ drunk?

Oh, so the idea is that it's better a fellow on the train than behind the wheel? Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Because, clear not at all, was the post i responded to. It read as if path riders were to transform as taxi drivers, lol. Sorry, you couldn't see that as the impetus of reply.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

score09 wrote:
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:

Completely befuddled.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:

Completely befuddled.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 1:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Google.com also works.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
On a related note - http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/12 ... rld_trade_center_site.php
I don't have a subscription to the WSJ, so couldn't read the entire article, but concur with the individual who replied. Is this covered in the same report as eliminating overnight PATH service? Is there some broader, spreading malfunction at the PA?

Yes, it was in the same report. There are a lot of things covered; the report is some 100 pages long.

Also, if you go to http://news.google.com and paste the headline of the WSJ article in the search box, a link to the full article will show up.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/30 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
On a related note - http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/12 ... rld_trade_center_site.php
I don't have a subscription to the WSJ, so couldn't read the entire article, but concur with the individual who replied. Is this covered in the same report as eliminating overnight PATH service? Is there some broader, spreading malfunction at the PA?

Posted on: 2014/12/30 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Mightn't this put the kibosh on a casino?

I don't know much about casinos, but this raises a broader point:

One of the best ways for a train system to maximize efficiency is to add paying passengers to "reverse commutes" (e.g., people taking PATH westbound away from NYC in the morning rush, and eastbound in the evening).

The system is already running packed trains on peak rush-hour schedules one way, so it necessarily has lots of less-crowded trains coming back the other way. Riding them is relatively pleasant (I know, I do it daily to my job in Newark), and filling them is free money for the PA. The growth of our Wall Street West financial offices has helped to make this happen.

Well, the gradual rise of JC, especially Downtown JC, as a dining and nightlife destination should slowly do the same thing to our overnight PATH trains as well. As more people venture from Manhattan to eat at 30 Acres or (soon) hear a band at White Eagle Hall, they'll go home to Manhattan on the same late trains that are already dragging squished mobs of JCers home overnight, just in the other direction.

The added overnight revenue should make those trips more economical for the PA, and the availability of reverse trains should also help our restaurants, bars, and other night venues thrive.

You know, unless they're cut.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
JCMan8 nailed it indeed. Good posturing opportunity for the governors, diverting the attention from cost overruns/PA justification for the marble-plated WTC station and pulaski skyway (the latter if under nj/fed transportation funds would have forced christie to raise gas tax/registration fee earlier than 2015) and possibly getting Fulop to rethink his $400M lawsuit. Good diversion indeed, people are bitting the bate which will include a fare increase in 2015... Let's keep pushing on opening the PA books, 10M is peanuts compared to creative accounting there.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
The only time I used the damn Path is on the late hours of night on the weekends. Time to start calling the mayor and members of city council. If this really happens, the traffic at the Holland tunnel and downtown would be unbearable on the weekends. It would reduce property values, and it would affect our hotels. Downtowners better get their pitch forks ready, because if this happens we all get f*cked.

Fulop was one of the first ones yelling about this, as was the Downtown council rep, Candice Osborne.

Whatever else you think of him, I have to ask the obvious rhetorical question: would Gov. Fulop be trying to cut PATH service?
not to mention the city has no control over this. Just like when people were bitching at Fulop about the toll and fare hikes. It's not up to him!

Posted on: 2014/12/30 16:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/30 15:54
Group:
Registered Users
FYI, the PATH Riders Council which is basically composed of
folks who actually ride the PATH (As opposed to our
two governors) have issued a statement:
You can read it here

Not surprisingly, we also object -- PATH ridership is actually up, and as the mayors have said,
cutting out overnight service would be a devastating blow.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Lets assume for the sake of argument that homeland security detects a terrorist plot that is aimed at the PATH system. They do an assessment that predicts if the plot succcedes, PATH service would be crippled to the SAME EXTENT that it will be crippled if this no-more-evening-service plan is implemented. How much money and resources would they expend to insure this hypothetical terrorist plot could not be hatched? To what lengths would they go to ensure PATH service stayed the same? Yet two governors can connive to do exactly what the hypothetical terrorists would do and everyone is expected to accept it.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
[quote]
greenville wrote:

Whatever else you think of him, I have to ask the obvious rhetorical question: would Gov. Fulop be trying to cut PATH service?

No, but President Fulop would.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 14:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
I think JCMan8 nailed it:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Another possibility is Christie and Cuomo have no intention in letting this pass, but they condoned such an outrageous proposal so that there can be a big fight about it and they finally relent in the end. Leading to everyone cheering but the passage of no meaningful reform.

Remember, Christie and Cuomo have a history of this. It was revealed that they secretly asked the Port Authority to ask for completely outrageous toll hikes, so they could look like heroes by fighting and lowering the toll hikes. While nice theater, it screwed the average citizen, who now has to pay $14 to drive into the City.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Mightn't this put the kibosh on a casino?

The casino was proposed to be in GV which is no where near a PATH train, so most people would most likely drive there, if this should even happen.

user, I was assuming that some of the tourists that come to NYC would visit and would need the PATH to cross the river.

Gotcha! Maybe than can provide buses from Port Authority like Atlantic City does?

Posted on: 2014/12/30 13:39

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017