Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Exclusive bus lane at Columbus and Marin?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
I saw a cop pull over and ticket four cars in a row making that left.

I think it takes a special type of idiot to see cars getting pulled over right in front of you and to just go ahead and do the same as the ones in front of you. Is the hope that the cop will somehow overlook you?

In any case, once that cop was processing those four cars, he probably flagged another four cars. I think that's awesome and I hope they keep it up. Sooner or later, people will learn to stop making that illegal left.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The intersection of Columbus and Marin turns into a disaster form about 5:30 until 6:30, EVERY night. Avoid it at all costs if you must get anywhere.

I find Google traffic pretty accurate as far as local snarl-ups go. Google takes real-time gps feeds from cellphone apps such as Waze.

You are wrong about how Google collects traffic data. While Google now owns Waze, it does NOT have access to the "real-time gps feeds from cellphone apps". That's simply not how it works. You can read about how Google aggregates its data (there are multiple sources, of course) from their many posts and explanations on this matter.

Quote:

PS: The intersection looks a total mess this morning.

Like I said earlier, the intersection is a mess every day at the heavy commute times. I am glad the cops are stepping up enforcement. But, at the same time, I think they need to make the road markings much clearer as to what is allowed. They should paint the bus only lane a different color to easily indicate a change in traffic flow.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone figure out the bus stop/taxi stand on the Columbus side of Pershing?

Posted on: 2014/11/30 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I saw a cop pull over and ticket four cars in a row making that left.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 5:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The intersection of Columbus and Marin turns into a disaster form about 5:30 until 6:30, EVERY night. Avoid it at all costs if you must get anywhere.

I find Google traffic pretty accurate as far as local snarl-ups go. Google takes real-time gps feeds from cellphone apps such as Waze. Click on "typical traffic" to see the patterns over the week. The intersection itself doesn't look too bad, but you can forget about going north on Marin around that time Thu and Fri evenings.

Goolge traffic Downtown JC

PS: The intersection looks a total mess this morning.

Posted on: 2014/11/29 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hornotostador wrote:
Besides the markings on pavement there is also a sign posted on the traffic light that says that the left turn is for buses only. This sign and lane have been this way for a few months now. I am surprised to see that this is the first posting about it.

EXACTLY. I am also surprised to see this as a new topic. The change was actually implemented when the Pulaski closure started. It was also then that cops were posted at all the intersections where commuters converge (e.g., along Pacific on Johnston and the road north of it, on Grand, on Marin at the intersection being discussed, etc.)

It took the city/cops many months to start enforcing the change, but they are doing it now. I hope it gets more attention. The intersection of Columbus and Marin turns into a disaster form about 5:30 until 6:30, EVERY night. Avoid it at all costs if you must get anywhere.

Posted on: 2014/11/29 4:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
According to a traffic cop working the intersection of Columbus and Marin, the left lane is now exclusively for buses, and car traffic that wants to make a left turn must use the middle lane. The problem I've seen is that cars don't seem to follow this rule and use/turn from the bus lane anyhow. So if you try to comply and turn left from the middle lane you now have two lanes turning left and needing to merge into the single lane of Marin Blvd, which is a ripe condition for accidents.

Does anyone know the actual laws on this? In Newark there is an exclusive bus lane near penn station that is marked with lit signs indicating when it is bus-only - a red X for bus only, and a green arrow for cars + busses during off peak hours. There are also cones marking the lane so it's impossible to miss that it's a "special" lane. There are none of these markers on Columbus - in fact it only says "Bus lane" painted on the street once you're already pretty close to the intersection.

Anyone else noticed problems with this implementation, or know who to contact for me to voice my concerns?

The cop that told you that is INCORRECT. How sad that our LEO are so often misinformed and pass on bad information to citizens. The signs at the intersection clearly indicate that:
1. Left lane FOR BUSES ONLY to turn left
2. Middle lane MUST continue STRAIGHT
3 Right lane is for turning right only

For those who do not think this is being enforced, I invite you to stop by during the week at around 6:30 PM. I see a LONG line of cars at least two or three times per week of people being pulled over by cops and ticketed. It has turned into a real shit show over there because of this. As the cops line up the cars for checking credentials and issuing tickets, the traffic gets REALLY crazy there. The enforcement seems to happen in the evenings, not in the mornings. It should be more consistent (a cop is already posted there daily during the morning and evening commuting hours, so this should be part of their duty station) but I have given up on seeing consistent enforcement of traffic laws in this city.

Posted on: 2014/11/29 4:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 23:06
Group:
Registered Users
Besides the markings on pavement there is also a sign posted on the traffic light that says that the left turn is for buses only. This sign and lane have been this way for a few months now. I am surprised to see that this is the first posting about it.

Posted on: 2014/11/29 4:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
more bus lanes, more car pool lanes, more bike lanes where appropriate and needed, more parking hubs off our turnpike and highways connected with rapid public transport to our city center and PATH stations and ferries.

increase tolls to make these options more of a consumer necessity

Posted on: 2014/11/29 0:45
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
It's odd to hear a cop say you could make a left from the middle lane, as there are no markings and two lanes turning left into one is just an awful idea. I was under the impression if you wanted to get onto Marin from CC you had to go down one block past the fitness club and make a left there, then another left on one of the next few blocks to get back to Marin.

Posted on: 2014/11/28 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:if you try to comply and turn left from the middle lane you now have two lanes turning left and needing to merge into the single lane of Marin Blvd, which is a ripe condition for accidents.

This can't be right. is there one of those left turn/straight arrows in the middle lane?

yep just drove past there today, there is a "straight only" arrow in the middle lane.

Posted on: 2014/11/28 19:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/17 20:47
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I was out of town for a couple of months over the summer for work and when I got back, I saw that left turn lane was now "bus only." I thought that meant no more left turns for cars at that intersection at all...like, as a way to curb traffic that cuts through the neighborhood off the turnpike to get to the tunnel. Then I think I heard it was only during rush hour...
Regardless, there is no info posted about it being only during certain hours, and looks to be just as labelled on the pavement - Bus Only.
I see a cop out there during rush hour, though - some enforce it and make cars get out of the bus lane, others just watch as car after car turns left from that lane.

I'm mostly a pedestrian here, but cross at that intersection often. When driving, I just avoid it - will go blocks out of my way to avoid it. I've never seen any accidents there, but I imagine it'll happen eventually and only then will the city do anything about making the rules for that intersection clear and/or consistently enforce both pedestrian and driver rules...

Would totally like some clarification, though, on whether you actually can turn left from the middle lane onto Marin legally...I'll look around next time I'm walking there, though...

Posted on: 2014/11/28 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:if you try to comply and turn left from the middle lane you now have two lanes turning left and needing to merge into the single lane of Marin Blvd, which is a ripe condition for accidents.

This can't be right. is there one of those left turn/straight arrows in the middle lane?

Posted on: 2014/11/28 17:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
According to a traffic cop working the intersection of Columbus and Marin, the left lane is now exclusively for buses, and car traffic that wants to make a left turn must use the middle lane. The problem I've seen is that cars don't seem to follow this rule and use/turn from the bus lane anyhow. So if you try to comply and turn left from the middle lane you now have two lanes turning left and needing to merge into the single lane of Marin Blvd, which is a ripe condition for accidents.

Does anyone know the actual laws on this? In Newark there is an exclusive bus lane near penn station that is marked with lit signs indicating when it is bus-only - a red X for bus only, and a green arrow for cars + busses during off peak hours. There are also cones marking the lane so it's impossible to miss that it's a "special" lane. There are none of these markers on Columbus - in fact it only says "Bus lane" painted on the street once you're already pretty close to the intersection.

Anyone else noticed problems with this implementation, or know who to contact for me to voice my concerns?

Interesting. Had no idea cars could turn from the left lane as there's no markings. That sounds like a horrible plan the city has come up with (big surprise). I, too, have noticed plenty of cars turning from the new bus lane, sometimes in front of police, and nothing happened. I just go one block east and make a left there, then loop around to Marin that way.

Posted on: 2014/11/28 16:56

Exclusive bus lane at Columbus and Marin?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/28 16:27

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017