Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Newark Avenue Pedestrian Plaza -- Reopening?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
It is quite apparent that some of you have never lived in Jersey City, you may live dtjc but never lived within the city. I have lived all over the city, and if you do not live near the PATH or Rail YOU NEED A CAR!

Transportation in this town is poor, and unreliable, Services in certain parts of this town is non existent. I am not going to go grocery shopping by using the Rail, I have a car for that. When I take the pets to be groomed, I use the car for that. When I need to make a Home Deopot run I use the car for that.

I am very fortunate to live near the lightrail but realistically the rail only takes me to Hoboken and DTJC and sometimes I don't want to go there. CARS ARE NOT GOING AWAY, more people are coming and they are bringing their cars.

When every neighborhood is serviced with Dry Cleaners, Supermarkets, Pet Stores, Pharmacies, Coffee Shops, Cafes, Banks, and Gyms you might see a little less driving and more people walking.

+100

I live in DTJC and I can walk to HD but I am not going to walk there and carry home 2 gallons of paint, brushes and other items.
The car is not going away since the auto industry and all the supporting businesses are a big part of our national economy.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
It is quite apparent that some of you have never lived in Jersey City, you may live dtjc but never lived within the city. I have lived all over the city, and if you do not live near the PATH or Rail YOU NEED A CAR!

Transportation in this town is poor, and unreliable, Services in certain parts of this town is non existent. I am not going to go grocery shopping by using the Rail, I have a car for that. When I take the pets to be groomed, I use the car for that. When I need to make a Home Deopot run I use the car for that.

I am very fortunate to live near the lightrail but realistically the rail only takes me to Hoboken and DTJC and sometimes I don't want to go there. CARS ARE NOT GOING AWAY, more people are coming and they are bringing their cars.

When every neighborhood is serviced with Dry Cleaners, Supermarkets, Pet Stores, Pharmacies, Coffee Shops, Cafes, Banks, and Gyms you might see a little less driving and more people walking.

That's fine. You still don't need a car no Newark Ave, though.

And yes, cars are going away.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Case in point how every building has a massive parking deck, which you just don't really see in developments across the river. Because Jersey City is in "New Jersey" and people need cars in New Jersey.

The mindset is holding Jersey City back, and it's sad.

You are being sarcastic but this is correct. Most people need cars in NJ and do not in NYC. What's so hard to understand?

Manhattan has a great public transportation system. JC does not. If you work anywhere in NJ that's not on a PATH line, you'll need a car to get to work.

I wish I could just snap my fingers and the whole state would have great public transport and no one would need their cars. But I don't live in this fantasy world, I am in reality where JC is a car centric place for a reason. Because people need cars here.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/15 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
As much as I love Jersey City it's really not a very progressive place, especially when compared to our neighbor across the river, and there are many inhabitants particularly the ones who have been here for a long time, who are very much attached to a car lifestyle.

The perfect exemplification of this is how this TINY pedestrian plaza on Newark Ave is creating an uproar, yet the City is likely going to be installing a vehicle bridge connecting Jersey Ave to Liberty State Park, which is absolutely nuts and will really take a lot from the Van Vorst Park neighborhood, for only a very small gain for people who drive.

While urban cities across the world are steadily moving away from car culture, Jersey City at times seems to be moving towards it, or at least not away from it at all.

Jersey City is a very dense urban city that exists within an overwhelmingly suburban state in terms of landscape and mindset - and this really is starting to show. Case in point how every building has a massive parking deck, which you just don't really see in developments across the river. Because Jersey City is in "New Jersey" and people need cars in New Jersey.

The mindset is holding Jersey City back, and it's sad.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Humans, by nature, are creatures of habit. We like routines and resist change. This has only been compounded for the worse with modern day conveniences.

There are still cities across the world where motor vehicle traffic is forbidden within the city center. FORBIDDEN! COMPLETE CITIES!

It's one block, it's seasonal. If business can't find creative ways to embrace this as an opportunity than they are only destined to be attacked by those who do.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I_heart_JC wrote: Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Fulop: Jersey City pedestrian plaza to return

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal 
June 15, 2015 at  3:01 AM

Some businesses and residents objected to losing the parking spaces on that stretch of Newark Avenue ? and the mayor lost his piano in the process ? but the plaza was popular with pedestrians and cyclists.

missing the point of "pedestrian" plaza
What's with the guy they quoted as being opposed to the plaza because of liability issues?? It's a TINY city block being cordoned off. Emergency personnel responding to a situation would only need to walk a half block to get anywhere, and, if necessary, the closure can be "undone" in no time, just like they do every night and afternoon, when it goes into effect. Some people just love the drama and can't help being Chicken Littles.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Some businesses and residents objected to losing the parking spaces on that stretch of Newark Avenue ? and the mayor lost his piano in the process ? but the plaza was popular with pedestrians and cyclists.

missing the point of "pedestrian" plaza

Posted on: 2015/6/15 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Rejoice, pedestrians, a portion of Newark Avenue will soon be yours. The one-block pedestrian plaza, located just west of the Grove Street PATH station, is returning, possibly in the next two weeks, Mayor Steve Fulop confirmed on Twitter on Saturday morning.

The city shut down that block of Newark Avenue, from Erie to Grove streets, on weekday afternoon and evenings and all weekend for about two months last August as a trial run, with an eye on creating a plaza to replicate those found in midtown Manhattan.

Some businesses and residents objected to losing the parking spaces on that stretch of Newark Avenue — and the mayor lost his piano in the process — but the plaza was popular with pedestrians and cyclists.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ey_city_pedestrian_p.html

Posted on: 2015/6/15 8:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

denised wrote:
I agree bike_lane! And we're now also dealing with that at Union republic. You can now only fit one person walking on that sidewalk. It's ridiculous! Talk about bad neighbors! I appreciate being able to eat outside but at the same time we all have to share these sidewalks and now if someone with a stroller / walker / wheelchair / etc, is trying to get through I'm afraid for them.
maybe union republic should get new windows - the ones that open all the way (almost like a garage door or something)

Posted on: 2015/6/12 22:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
I agree bike_lane! And we're now also dealing with that at Union republic. You can now only fit one person walking on that sidewalk. It's ridiculous! Talk about bad neighbors! I appreciate being able to eat outside but at the same time we all have to share these sidewalks and now if someone with a stroller / walker / wheelchair / etc, is trying to get through I'm afraid for them.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

I suppose that's their prerogative, but if patrons want to enjoy outdoor seating they won't get the business. Simple as that. If patrons want to eat inside (and don't ban them "on principal") they will be ok.

Skinner's has rooftop alfresco dining already, maybe they don't need more outdoor space.

I wonder how all of their older customers - the ones who need to be dropped off - make it up those 2 flights of stairs?

Posted on: 2015/6/12 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
the manager (or owner?) at Skinners came to a Harsimus Cove meeting to express her views. as I recall, she felt that outdoor seating, sidewalk, curb, plus a pass-through for pedestrians would create a cluster*ck for their servers. so even if the plaza is a go, Skinners probably won't join the rest of the block in providing sidewalk seating for their patrons.

it seemed like a weird reason, but it was clear they'd given the issue a lot of thought.

While I disagree with her opposition to the pedestrian plaza, but the clusterf*** point isn't too far off, in general. Without Newark Ave closed to traffic, the sidewalk IS a clusterf*** with most restaurants taking up 60% of the sidewalk for seating and then all the litter of benches, bike racks, and ugly concrete planters with dead shrubs in them, the "walking space" of the sidewalk is only a couple of feet wide in a few places, which is absurd for one of the busiest walking streets in the city. I want to see Newark Ave made a pedestrian plaza so that there's more room to walk swiftly up and down the street.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

I suppose that's their prerogative, but if patrons want to enjoy outdoor seating they won't get the business. Simple as that. If patrons want to eat inside (and don't ban them "on principal") they will be ok.

Skinner's has rooftop alfresco dining already, maybe they don't need more outdoor space.

This is the likely answer, not that they don't need it, but that all the other restaurants now have more outdoor space and can compete with them.

Bingo! This sounds like a much more plausible explanation. Rather than compete with other places, they rather suppress the competition. People criticize the food trucks, but I think this is much douchier... they oppose a plaza that is a HUGE improvement for the entire citizenship, and which is also a boon for local businesses. Awesome neighbors!

Just like Two Boots. I will not eat at either place going forward.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

This is the likely answer, not that they don't need it, but that all the other restaurants now have more outdoor space and can compete with them.

Bingo! This sounds like a much more plausible explanation. Rather than compete with other places, they rather suppress the competition. People criticize the food trucks, but I think this is much douchier... they oppose a plaza that is a HUGE improvement for the entire citizenship, and which is also a boon for local businesses. Awesome neighbors!

Many people are upset with those who lobbied to have the food trucks banned from Grove Plaza (and effectively most of downtown), surpressing their competition. But I think both actions make for terrible neighbors.

I don't eat at Two Boots because he spearheaded the effort to kick the food trucks out (and that's not getting into the mediocre yelp reviews) and I now won't eat at Skinners for their efforts in opposing a plaza that is a huge boon for the community.

A shame we see this but unfortunately naked self interest without regard for others is part of life.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

Posted on: 2015/6/12 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

Posted on: 2015/6/12 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

Maybe they don't need the outdoor space. This means they should advocate that no one else can enjoy the pedestrian plaza?

Posted on: 2015/6/12 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2015/6/12 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Utterly hilarious that Skinners opposes. What in the world are they thinking?

Not sure if hilarious, but definitely mind boggling. The vast majority of their clientele wanders in from the surrounding neighborhood streets. It's not like they are a "destination" restaurant or bar to which people come flocking from all corners of the region. A pedestrian plaza is a godsend for any and all restaurants and bars around there. I can't imagine why any of them would oppose this.

I asked Maggie last year - she said that she has a number of older customers who get dropped off. Did she tell you guys something different?

I really, really have to question what is the number of "older customers who get dropped off" and how it compares to all the other customers that walk in. A quick scan of Skinner's Loft and the people sitting at tables and the bar, I would say that the ratio of non-older customers to older customers is heavily tilted towards the former. But, hey, it's their bar to run it as they see fit.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Not sure if hilarious, but definitely mind boggling. The vast majority of their clientele wanders in from the surrounding neighborhood streets. It's not like they are a "destination" restaurant or bar to which people come flocking from all corners of the region. A pedestrian plaza is a godsend for any and all restaurants and bars around there. I can't imagine why any of them would oppose this.

the manager (or owner?) at Skinners came to a Harsimus Cove meeting to express her views. as I recall, she felt that outdoor seating, sidewalk, curb, plus a pass-through for pedestrians would create a cluster*ck for their servers. so even if the plaza is a go, Skinners probably won't join the rest of the block in providing sidewalk seating for their patrons.

it seemed like a weird reason, but it was clear they'd given the issue a lot of thought.

So they chose to oppose the pedestrian plaza because they have no intention of availing themselves of the extra business? That's an even weirder reason to oppose this. If you do not intend to make use of the additional space, why even bother opposing the plaza, then?

Posted on: 2015/6/12 16:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
That makes no sense for Fussy Friends, while people and pets are walking along the plaza, owners get dragged in to buy a toy or treat for their pet. I have seen dogs drag their owners into the toy store.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
It's nice to keep older customers in mind, but making important business decisions to cater to them, to the point of trying to avoid change, is the downfall of a lot of companies and especially restaurants that need to try and keep up with changing demographics and the environment.

They could stand to freshen up their menu too. It's very old school, and needs a few new options.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/12 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I asked Maggie last year - she said that she has a number of older customers who get dropped off. Did she tell you guys something different?

Posted on: 2015/6/12 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Why not have a few cafe style tables and cocktail and bar food service only outside? It really is silly to leave money on the table. People like dining outside, and they will like it more once the plaza is permanent and the street is dressed up more nicely with pavers and nice benches.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/12 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/12 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
FYI, the mayor just tweeted this like an hour ago:

"It's happening - I believe next week or following"

Posted on: 2015/6/12 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
The layers of incompetence in this city remind me of a Cretan Croissant.

Indeed, but I hope you do not find this surprising. The only thing that happens quickly in Jersey City is the granting of abatements to apartment developers. Maybe we'll see a decision made on this by 2018. Maybe the new Hard Grove will open soon thereafter.

Posted on: 2015/6/12 4:06

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017