Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Newark Avenue Pedestrian Plaza -- Reopening?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
The intersection by Grove is a shit show anyway. Commuters and other pedestrians just walk across without looking, and the block is too short between Newark and Columbus to let more than a few cars turn. It's better to have people re-route along the several blocks before Grove and spread out the traffic, pushing it onto Columbus earlier, since it's a wider street with much less double parking.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is too bad members of jclist were not present at the caucus meeting on 6/22, members of the city council were confused because they were not consulted when Newark Avenue was closed on the 18th. Fulop used his "administrative authority" to close the street. There is a first reading ordinance on the 24th to close Newark Avenue but it doesn't become law until a second reading. So here is my question, if someone is injured is the city covered by this closing? The Faulkner Act requires council action to create laws, not administrative action.

How about you detail for us how someone could possibly be injured because a one block stretch of road that ends at a T forcing all cars onto a one way street is closed... I'm eagerly awaiting what will undoubtedly be something along the lines of people getting trampled by stampeding unicorns chased by lightning bolts.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 13:43
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
It is too bad members of jclist were not present at the caucus meeting on 6/22, members of the city council were confused because they were not consulted when Newark Avenue was closed on the 18th. Fulop used his "administrative authority" to close the street. There is a first reading ordinance on the 24th to close Newark Avenue but it doesn't become law until a second reading. So here is my question, if someone is injured is the city covered by this closing? The Faulkner Act requires council action to create laws, not administrative action.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
+1

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
Unless you work in the suburbs, why do you need a car?
Isn't that the point of moving to the city? Everything delivers, and you can get an uber for anything that doesn't. I wish JC would actually be bold and make some progressive moves.
I'll take a little inconvenience for less cars, less pollution, more trees and urban wildlife.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would hazard a guess that you don't have children; a business that is product/equipment intensive; a job outside the reach of mass transit; and/or care for a sickly/elderly parent or relative. Try any or a combination of all. Quite difficult around here without a car. And some folks simply cannot afford delivery/Uber.

Posted on: 2015/6/22 17:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/4 22:33
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
People, don't be silly. We all know traffic congestion is caused by bike lanes.

No, all that traffic congestion was caused by the off-leash dogs in morris canal park

Posted on: 2015/6/22 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
People, don't be silly. We all know traffic congestion is caused by bike lanes.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was on Newark Avenue near the Courthouse around 3:30 PM on Thursday. I couldn't figure out why the traffic was so congested...

Traffic on Newark was also severely congested on Wednesday evening, as in a full day before Newark was blocked off.

We should also note that they did this last year, and there was no Carmageddon. But you promised, Yvonne! You promised there'd be a total utter car disaster and lives lost and families wrecked!!!

:D

Posted on: 2015/6/19 13:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was on Newark Avenue near the Courthouse around 3:30 PM on Thursday. I couldn't figure out why the traffic was so congested, even a Hudson County Sheriff was outside trying to direct traffic. When they show the people downtown on the mall they should also show the congestion is causes at the other end.

Nothing unites this board more than a little comic relief from good ol 1.1 mile traffic backup Yvonne

Posted on: 2015/6/19 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was on Newark Avenue near the Courthouse around 3:30 PM on Thursday. I couldn't figure out why the traffic was so congested, even a Hudson County Sheriff was outside trying to direct traffic. When they show the people downtown on the mall they should also show the congestion is causes at the other end.

Traffic by the courthouse is always bad when they have a cop out there directing traffic. They do not know how to keep things moving. It's on my commute home every day and every time they've got a cop there, Newark moves sloooowly.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The traffic on Newark near Grove affecting the courthouse? Seriously? The traffic downtown doesn't even affect what goes on by Dickinson.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

There was no traffic by Newark and Erie Streets all day into the evening, according to the police officer assigned to patrol the street and direct cars if need be, so anything happening up the hill by the court house was utterly unrelated to this. But we all know it is futile to let the truth interfere with early dementia in some regulars here!

Posted on: 2015/6/19 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
are you kidding me! traffic around the courthouse on newark is almost always bad

Posted on: 2015/6/19 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/19 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City pedestrian plaza returns today

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
on June 18, 2015 at 12:39 PM

JERSEY CITY — The Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza returns today at 2 p.m.

Mayor Steve Fulop announced on Twitter this afternoon that the plaza, which runs from Erie to Grove streets, just west of the Grove Street PATH station, is returning after a two-month trial run last summer.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _plaza_returns_today.html

Posted on: 2015/6/18 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Progress happens slowly.

Nobody is going to straight up ban cars in any given area. That's silly.

You can take steps towards reducing their impact on your area though and it would be a great thing for America to get into.
Europe does a lot of things right that we really suck at. Public meeting places is one of those things. Ditching cars in certain blocks in Downtown would be great.
Before it happens, relax, you can still get to any business on the block by vehicle. The roads don't get ripped up, you just don't use them unless you have to. Word.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
Isn't that the point of moving to the city? Everything delivers, and you can get an uber for anything that doesn't. I wish JC would actually be bold and make some progressive moves.
I'll take a little inconvenience for less cars, less pollution, more trees and urban wildlife.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would hazard a guess that you don't have children; a business that is product/equipment intensive; a job outside the reach of mass transit; and/or care for a sickly/elderly parent or relative. Try any or a combination of all. Quite difficult around here without a car. And some folks simply cannot afford delivery/Uber.

Consider yourself "owned".

Posted on: 2015/6/16 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fomite wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/16 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
I'll give up the car AFTER: 1.) the PATH is fixed ? it's already crowded way over capacity before all those new apartment buildings open up along the line from Newark. And weekend and night service is beyond a joke. 2.) A couple of decent, reasonably priced markets like Traders Joe's open in the neighborhood. Until then your car-free utopia will have to wait...

Posted on: 2015/6/16 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
If you live downtown, have functioning legs, and work in the city there is zero need for a car.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Cars are going away in cities. At least car ownership is going away, and the notion of relying on cars is going away.

Jersey City instead of spending resources on improving infrastructure, improving service, and expanding public transit into underserved neighborhoods, is proposing an expensive project to expand a road into a PARK. A park.

This is problematic, and literally the opposite of progressive.

JCman8, I think you're missing my point. Jersey City is drastically different than the rest of New Jersey, in that there are many neighborhoods where people live carless. I know in NJ you need a car, but Jersey City is drastically different from the rest of NJ and that is my point; that Jersey City is trapped in a state that doesn't really "get" urban living.

The catering to the vehicle is what caused Newport to become a depressing place. I don't want the rest of Jersey City to feel like Newport. People gravitate to places that are pedestrian friendly. Pedestrian-friendly and car-centric cannot easily co-exist.

The uproar over the pedestrian-ization of Newark Ave is a microcosm of the problem.

I?ve been saying the same thing for a long time. People in Albany and Rochester and West Chester use cars. That doesn?t mean those in Manhattan need them too. The reality is that we, as a city, need to strive towards that.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Fomite wrote:

So you think everyone who lives in Jersey City has a 5-20 minute walk to the PATH train/Bus and then has a quick walk or transfer to where they work? You think every resident actually works in NYC? You think everyone works regular hours? Think about how naive some of you people are about other people's lives.

Looks like the person mentioned that "Unless you work in the suburbs"...

The reality is that "car culture" is not a good reasoning. There are plenty of people I know that don't own a car. Then, when they need to take a long drive, they'll rent one.

Saying that everyone in an urban center needs a car is just absurd.

Well your reading comprehension is off. I never mentioned endorsing "car culture" nor did I say I work in the suburbs. I work in a business, film production, where you have to report to locations all over the NYC area at very early hours. If I can take the train, I do but that isn't always an option. Brooklyn at 5:00am? F-That, I'm driving.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Cars are going away in cities. At least car ownership is going away, and the notion of relying on cars is going away.

Jersey City instead of spending resources on improving infrastructure, improving service, and expanding public transit into underserved neighborhoods, is proposing an expensive project to expand a road into a PARK. A park.

JCman8, I think you're missing my point. Jersey City is drastically different than the rest of New Jersey, in that there are many neighborhoods where people live carless. I know in NJ you need a car, but Jersey City is drastically different from the rest of NJ and that is my point; that Jersey City is trapped in a state that doesn't really "get" urban living.

The catering to the vehicle is what caused Newport to become a depressing place. I don't want the rest of Jersey City to feel like Newport. People gravitate to places that are pedestrian friendly. Pedestrian-friendly and car-centric cannot easily co-exist.

The uproar over the pedestrian-ization of Newark Ave is a microcosm of the problem.

I?ve been saying the same thing for a long time. People in Albany and Rochester and West Chester use cars. That doesn?t mean those in Manhattan need them too. The reality is that we, as a city, need to strive towards that.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Fomite wrote:

So you think everyone who lives in Jersey City has a 5-20 minute walk to the PATH train/Bus and then has a quick walk or transfer to where they work? You think every resident actually works in NYC? You think everyone works regular hours? Think about how naive some of you people are about other people's lives.

Looks like the person mentioned that "Unless you work in the suburbs"...

The reality is that "car culture" is not a good reasoning. There are plenty of people I know that don't own a car. Then, when they need to take a long drive, they'll rent one.

Saying that everyone in an urban center needs a car is just absurd.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 21:03
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Fomite wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/15 20:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/15 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
It's obvious that cars are not going away. In any case though, it would be nice if NJ, NYC and it's boroughs did more to promote the using of scooters. They obviously take less space and are easier to park etc.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Case in point how every building has a massive parking deck, which you just don't really see in developments across the river. Because Jersey City is in "New Jersey" and people need cars in New Jersey.

The mindset is holding Jersey City back, and it's sad.

You are being sarcastic but this is correct. Most people need cars in NJ and do not in NYC. What's so hard to understand?

Manhattan has a great public transportation system. JC does not. If you work anywhere in NJ that's not on a PATH line, you'll need a car to get to work.

I wish I could just snap my fingers and the whole state would have great public transport and no one would need their cars. But I don't live in this fantasy world, I am in reality where JC is a car centric place for a reason. Because people need cars here.

Manhattan has the best transportation options of any US city with subways, buses and taxis and good public transportation into the city. The streets are still full of private cars. With all these options many people drive into the city every day for work.
If the car is not going away there it won't go away here in jc.

Yes I certainly agree. Cars are here to stay because too many people need them.

Also I feel like it is easier for car culture and walkability to coexist than some think. I agree that massive parking garages with no retail at the ground level, combined with wide, trafficked streets makes an area pedestrian unfriendly. But that is due to bad development and city planning decisions, not cars.

Look at the new building being constructed across from City Hall. That place is supposed to have a lot of parking but also will incorporate retail at the ground level. That's what we need, plenty of parking but also plenty of retail. I think both are achievable.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Case in point how every building has a massive parking deck, which you just don't really see in developments across the river. Because Jersey City is in "New Jersey" and people need cars in New Jersey.

You are being sarcastic but this is correct. Most people need cars in NJ and do not in NYC. What's so hard to understand?

Manhattan has a great public transportation system. JC does not. If you work anywhere in NJ that's not on a PATH line, you'll need a car to get to work.

I wish I could just snap my fingers and the whole state would have great public transport and no one would need their cars. But I don't live in this fantasy world, I am in reality where JC is a car centric place for a reason. Because people need cars here.

Manhattan has the best transportation options of any US city with subways, buses and taxis and good public transportation into the city. The streets are still full of private cars. With all these options many people drive into the city every day for work.
If the car is not going away there it won't go away here in jc.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
It's one block. For several hours a day. For a few months.

Actually, it's not even a whole block, more like 3/4. You could throw a baseball from one end to the other.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/15 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Are you saying NYC with all its five boroughs are going carless?

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
As much as I love Jersey City it's really not a very progressive place, especially when compared to our neighbor across the river, and there are many inhabitants particularly the ones who have been here for a long time, who are very much attached to a car lifestyle.

The perfect exemplification of this is how this TINY pedestrian plaza on Newark Ave is creating an uproar, yet the City is likely going to be installing a vehicle bridge connecting Jersey Ave to Liberty State Park, which is absolutely nuts and will really take a lot from the Van Vorst Park neighborhood, for only a very small gain for people who drive.

While urban cities across the world are steadily moving away from car culture, Jersey City at times seems to be moving towards it, or at least not away from it at all.

Jersey City is a very dense urban city that exists within an overwhelmingly suburban state in terms of landscape and mindset - and this really is starting to show. Case in point how every building has a massive parking deck, which you just don't really see in developments across the river. Because Jersey City is in "New Jersey" and people need cars in New Jersey.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
+1

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
It is quite apparent that some of you have never lived in Jersey City, you may live dtjc but never lived within the city. I have lived all over the city, and if you do not live near the PATH or Rail YOU NEED A CAR!

Transportation in this town is poor, and unreliable, Services in certain parts of this town is non existent. I am not going to go grocery shopping by using the Rail, I have a car for that. When I take the pets to be groomed, I use the car for that. When I need to make a Home Deopot run I use the car for that.

I am very fortunate to live near the lightrail but realistically the rail only takes me to Hoboken and DTJC and sometimes I don't want to go there. CARS ARE NOT GOING AWAY, more people are coming and they are bringing their cars.

When every neighborhood is serviced with Dry Cleaners, Supermarkets, Pet Stores, Pharmacies, Coffee Shops, Cafes, Banks, and Gyms you might see a little less driving and more people walking.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 18:41

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017