Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Re: Lions of Judah being removed from church/synagogue/mosque on Grove?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
They are being removed in one piece?

Posted on: 2015/2/19 14:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 14:13
Group:
Registered Users
The lions are being removed and stored in the basement of the mosque. They were some conditions with the approval.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 0:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 14:13
Group:
Registered Users
An FYI to all those interested in voicing their opinions either pro or con on this topic. The project will be heard at the Historic Preservation Commission meeting tonite 6:30pm Council Chambers City Hall. Now is the time to speak up---whatever your opinion is.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
Rather than reply to BorisP's glue huffing stream of semi-conscious prose, I'd like to point out that I am against discrimination against anyone on the basis of race or religion and as such I am opposed to the apartheid state of Israel.

I made few simple statements If you can't figure out what any of them means you should just ask.

Next, yeah, sure you are not an antisemite, you're "opposed to apartheid". You should also throw in the most popular "I'm not an antisemite, some of my friends are Jews".

Let's see how it works, shall we? You look at Israel that has the same laws for everyone, where Arabs are elected members of Knesset, and where the rights of Arabs are protected more than in any Arab country, and you decide it's an "apartheid". Then you look at the other side, and the other side says that "owning a house in Palestine while being a Jew" is a crime, punishable by death. And that idea doesn't seem wrong to you at all? Have you ever uttered something about how you are "against fascist state of Palestine", no?

And you are not an antisemite?

Riiiiiiight.

Posted on: 2014/12/4 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
One more reason to send in the bulldozers.

I have to say, you are an important contributor here. You're a reminder that despite the advancement of this city in attracting worthwhile people from NYC, we continue to have plenty of aggressively stupid people that do things like write something demonstrating overwhelming ignorance such as that Orthodox Jews generally oppose Israel and then make a response like the one above when called out on being wrong.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
Rather than reply to BorisP's glue huffing stream of semi-conscious prose, I'd like to point out that I am against discrimination against anyone on the basis of race or religion and as such I am opposed to the apartheid state of Israel.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on all the Muslim countries that consider atheism a criminal offense or where converting out of Islam is a crime (one that commonly carries the death penalty, no less)?

Also, please let me know how "race" is implicated in any of the issues in the Middle East in any way, shape or form, whether on the Muslim or Jewish side. Hint: There are black Jews, Asian Jews, Arab Jews, etc. There are also white Muslims, black Muslims, etc.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:

Ah, the irony in someone who calls others racist at every opportunity being revealed to be a huge anti-Semite.

Or maybe that's not so ironic.

Anyway, seeing as how confused you seem to be about life in general given your schtick, I wouldn't be surprised if you were Jewish.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/12/3 6:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
EXhibit Two -

Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Your first post in this thread clearly suggests you're an idiot and your follow-up clearly suggests you're a bigot.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=354267

I'm not sure what you are trying to exhibit, but I looked over the thread, and unless I am missing something, you stated here: "Also i believe the synagogue was Orthodox. Orthodox jews oppose Zionism."

Then, after immigrationlawyer educated you on the subject and explained that only few small groups of the Orthodox jews oppose Zionism, you came up with this pearl: "One more reason to send in the bulldozers."

Now, THAT is 100% pure antisemitism.

So if you can't figure out why you are being called bigot, that should help.

P.S. Also, here you stated: "The conflict in Israeli/Palestinian conflict is about land." Well, it is not. The conflict is about some Palestinians wanting to exterminate the Jews.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 6:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/2 18:42
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
My understanding of the historic districts is that they are specific to the preservation of historic Greek/Italianette row houses and brownstones. I have the guidlines somewhere, and it says in the preamble something like "the historic notability lies in the collective impact of the rows of housing."

So buildings in the districts are either contributing - they form part of this histroric character, or non-contributing, they are a building that does not form part of this.

Does this synagogue from part of this historic character the districts were defined to preserved? It does not sound like it does, is it even contemporary with the row-houses the historic guidlines reference?

Robin.

Not an architect but I believe the mosque/synagogue/church is a mixed style building (just like City Hall and most of the brownstones downtown) reflecting the various styles that were popular during the period of construction (late 1800s, consistent with the rest of van vorst park historic area that it is located in).

As for the use of concrete/terracotta, most of the doorways of the brownstone on grove street have non-natural stone ornaments which are typical of the style(s) (and which you are correct to point out are often the first piece of the building to visibly deteriorate as they are very exposed to the elements). If the lions are original, removing them instead of restoring them would go against the fundamental goals of preserving historic buildings.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
EXhibit Two -

Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Your first post in this thread clearly suggests you're an idiot and your follow-up clearly suggests you're a bigot.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=354267

Posted on: 2014/12/2 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I have never used the word bigot on this board.
You do not need to inform me that there is a difference between that word and the word racist. A racist is a bigot.
You do need to polish up on your English skills.
I'd love to watch you in court one day - can this be arranged?

Anyway... Exhibit One.

Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:

Way to go, you're a bigot..

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... _id=340283&keywords=bigot

Posted on: 2014/12/2 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
Lectured on expectations from a racist immigration lawyer.

A large majority of your idiotic statements are either false statements or telling someone that their either a racist or a bigot (btw, there's a difference). You sound like an angry, resentful child who can't form coherent thoughts.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Lectured on expectations from a racist immigration lawyer.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:

I think that's the response everyone expects from you. Good work.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/12/2 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
Also i believe the synagogue was Orthodox. Orthodox jews oppose Zionism.

That's incorrect. There's a strain of Ultra Orthodox Jews (Satmar Hasidim and Neturei Karta) that oppose Zionism. The vast majority of Orthodox Jews who do not fall within these strains do not oppose Zionism.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
My understanding of the historic districts is that they are specific to the preservation of historic Greek/Italianette row houses and brownstones. I have the guidlines somewhere, and it says in the preamble something like "the historic notability lies in the collective impact of the rows of housing."

So buildings in the districts are either contributing - they form part of this histroric character, or non-contributing, they are a building that does not form part of this.

Does this synagogue from part of this historic character the districts were defined to preserved? It does not sound like it does, is it even contemporary with the row-houses the historic guidlines reference?

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Also i believe the synagogue was Orthodox. Orthodox jews oppose Zionism.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
The conflict in Israeli/Palestinian conflict is about land.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i don't see why the facade of that building should be changed just to suit a religious whim....the lions were there before it became a mosque!

It's not a religious whim.
Some take religion 'deadly' serious with every icon or symbol having meaning.
Do you recall the radicals that flew into the world trade center? ... they weren't lost pilots that made a mistake!

To settle the discussion I hope a religious lightening strikes it !!!

it is a religious whme, because the current occupants worshiped in that place with the lions for how many years (14?) and now they want to get rid of them...they should have thought of this before

IMO the lions are of no artistic significance; they are cast concrete in appearance and will weather in time.

What I do find puzzling, is that the mosque community that worship there aren't complaining about the prominently displayed Star of Davids on the facade? (above the arch windows, either side of the entrance)

Resized Image
the question is not whether the lions have artistic significance, the issue is historical preservation.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I was walking on Grove Street yesterday afternoon and saw two Hasidic guys trying to get into the mosque. The front gate was chained shut. I wondered if they were there to talk to them about the lions and the building. Would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation!

Posted on: 2014/12/2 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
fat-ass-bike wrote:
IMO the lions are of no artistic significance; they are cast concrete in appearance and will weather in time.

Same applies to the window frames of any house in the "historic" districts and to the paint and to everything else, yet the owners are prohibited from changing the looks.

Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Quote:
borisp wrote:
Quote:
fat-ass-bike wrote:
And then we wonder how a war got started !
Resized Image

Well, I grew up in the USSR, the country where atheists ruled for 70 years and they slaughtered tens of millions of people and attacked few neighboring countries. Oh, and they made a pact with Nazis and together started a WWII.
Now, if we add to that what atheists did in China, Korea, Cambodia, and other places do you really think that you can find a religious war that can hold a candle to that?

Yes.
The number one cause for war is land.

The number one cause for war is an attempt to take away other people's rights.

Quote:
The second is religion. Atheists aren't going to war to broaden their lack of religion.

Yes, they were. That was in the Soviet Communist Party documents, their official program called for the spread of the Marxism and communism over the whole world. Don't tell me it wasn't since I had to study those programs throughout school and college. Oh, and "Scientific Atheism" class was also mandatory.

Quote:
Mao's slaughter wasn't to "spread the gospel." It was a power grab.

Same applies to about any religious war. Yes, the leaders may be more cynical than the true believers they use.

Quote:
Whenever a gun is fired between Palestine and Israel, it is because of their religion.

Just the same as with Mao, for some it's about following the faith that tells them to kill all Jews, for others like Abbas it's about using that faith for personal gain.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Why would they? Islam is an Abrahamic religion as well.

Modern issues between Muslims and Jews in the ME is political, not religious.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 8:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i don't see why the facade of that building should be changed just to suit a religious whim....the lions were there before it became a mosque!

Do you recall the radicals that flew into the world trade center? ... they weren't lost pilots that made a mistake!

it is a religious whme, because the current occupants worshiped in that place with the lions for how many years (14?) and now they want to get rid of them...they should have thought of this before

What I do find puzzling, is that the mosque community that worship there aren't complaining about the prominently displayed Star of Davids on the facade? (above the arch windows, either side of the entrance)

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/12/2 3:36
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/2 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/2 3:04
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
this should not be an argument about god/allah or satan for that matter...if there are hsitorical guidelines, they should be followed imo. i don't see why the facade of that building should be changed just to suit a religious whim....the lions were there before it became a mosque!

Posted on: 2014/12/1 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
And then we wonder how a war got started !

Resized Image

Well, I grew up in the USSR, the country where atheists ruled for 70 years and they slaughtered tens of millions of people and attacked few neighboring countries. Oh, and they made a pact with Nazis and together started a WWII.

Now, if we add to that what atheists did in China, Korea, Cambodia, and other places do you really think that you can find a religious war that can hold a candle to that?

Yes.

The number one cause for war is land. The second is religion. Atheists aren't going to war to broaden their lack of religion. Mao's slaughter wasn't to "spread the gospel." It was a power grab. Whenever a gun is fired between Palestine and Israel, it is because of their religion. Whenever Pol Pot lopped a head off it wasn't.

This doesn't negate the fact that there were a lot of very good things done in the name of religion. However, ignoring the fact that it has brought about more pain and suffering shouldn't be ignored.

85 to 100 million people died under goverments that believed in no God.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_killings_under_Communist_regimes

Posted on: 2014/12/1 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
if the historic preservation guidelines stipulate that the exterior of the temple/mosque must be maintained, then what is the argument about. if the owners of the mosque do not want to adhere to the guidelines, they should sell the building or never should have bought it in the first place. also, they should be forced to remove that tacky plexiglass over the windows.

now, if this same building was in a non-historic area, i wouldn't care.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 19:43

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017