Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Any Real insight on PS 16?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
I wanted to revive this thread since nobody has posted in a couple of years. Considering sending my kids there next year and curious about folks' experience with the school last couple of years. Thanks.

Posted on: 2017/1/25 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sranade wrote:
There are two new schools being built. One called the new PS20 in Lafayette and the other will be in the Heights. They are both scheduled to open by September 2016.

The District also bid to use the Old Golden Door School on 9th & Marin, but the JCRA and Mayor have not made a decision on its use.

Not sure how this is going to help alleviate the existing overcrowding and the influx of kids from all the new arrivals. A school in Lafayette and the Heights is great news for those neighborhoods, but let's be honest: while all of JC is growing, the vast majority of population growth is happening in DTJC. Perhaps as part of the approval of some of the new, bigger buildings, the city should demand that a new school be added. 18 Park did something similar by housing the Boys and Girls Club.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 14:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/16 20:18
Group:
Registered Users
There are two new schools being built. One called the new PS20 in Lafayette and the other will be in the Heights. They are both scheduled to open by September 2016.

The District also bid to use the Old Golden Door School on 9th & Marin, but the JCRA and Mayor have not made a decision on its use.

Posted on: 2014/11/21 21:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/21 21:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if there are plans for new Jersey City schools to be built in the near future ? With over 4,400 new apartments and overcrowding issues already, seems that it would be a necessity to have that plan in place. Thanks for all the insight.

Posted on: 2014/11/21 16:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi NYLUCY,

Of course private message me any knowledge you mihgt have on the school. I would love to hear any of your experiences, good or bad. Yes, we do live in Paulus Hook. I belonged to JCmoms a couple of years ago, but with two kids under 3 at the time and a full time job, it was hard to make most of the events. I will check back into their organization, thanks for the reminder. Both of our kids are in a private school now and I actually adore the school, as mentioned we are debating if we can keep up with the financial stress of continuing. Being in Pre-K and Kindergarten we have a long way to go :)

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/11/20 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
DO you know what schools most of the the kids are bussed to? Do they try to keep them downtown?

Quote:

LouBelle wrote:
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

nylucy wrote:
I believe the original post asked for "any real insight on PS 16". I think that if you do not have any personal experience with the school you should keep your own (uninformed) thoughts to yourself. I do have a child at this school and we have been very happy with our experience there. I love the diverse, neighborhood feel of it. The principal and CPA are wonderful and super-involved. I think this school will just keep getting better as parents continue to become more and more involved in the community.

Do you live in PH? Or does your child come from another zone/district? I'm curious: what % of the kids would you say live in the PH area?

In the lower grades of PreK, K, first grade and maybe even second 100% of the kids are from Paulus hook/ps16 zone. The majority of PreK kids from paulus hook are bussed to another school as ps16 only has 30 spots for 4 year olds.

Posted on: 2014/11/20 4:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/6 12:33
Group:
Registered Users
For JCminded, are you a member of the JC Mom's group? http://www.meetup.com/jerseycitymoms/
I find the cost of membership ($25/year) is worth it for access to the message boards alone, where a question like yours would get a lot of helpful, honest, warm responses. You could also probably find tons of questions like these in their archives. I find the tone on JCList to often-times be nasty and counter-productive, so I rarely check it. I would be happy to answer any of your questions about my experience with the school in another forum, I just don't want to get into it here! Also, I would suggest just dropping by the school and speaking to someone in the office. In the spring, I think they schedule a tour (often organized in conjunction with the mom's group) but you could set up and appointment on your own to meet the principal and have her give you a tour. I know several people who have done this.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 18:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 17:46
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I should probably drop this and just walk away. But I want to clarify that I posted my opinion about the school based on true & personal observation, NOT "(uninformed) thoughts". There's a big difference between the two.

I hope you'd respect me and my opinions (even thought it's not what you like to hear), even if just based on the fact that I took the time to effort to express it.

Quote:

nylucy wrote:
I believe the original post asked for "any real insight on PS 16". I think that if you do not have any personal experience with the school you should keep your own (uninformed) thoughts to yourself. I do have a child at this school and we have been very happy with our experience there. I love the diverse, neighborhood feel of it. The principal and CPA are wonderful and super-involved. I think this school will just keep getting better as parents continue to become more and more involved in the community.

Your personal experience and observations are from 5-6 years ago. I'm assuming you have also observed the changes in this neighborhood in the past 5-6 years which have in turn had a knock on effect on the school. Your observations would also tell you that the busses arriving at the school are taking our overflow to classes in different neighborhoods. Many of the kids are walking frOm grove pointe, 77 Hudson, liberty towers. Judging by the huge rents in these high rises I would observe that these kids are from a higher socio-economic grouping.

I can also tell you from my observations over the past five years that those at OLC aren't all sweetness and light either. The nannies/parents who gather on the sidewalk at dismissal refuse to step aside to let others past. Every school has its little group of bad apples whether their parents pay for their education or not.

Overall PS 16 is probably on par with OLC in terms of the children's behaviour. I can tell you that my child is learning at PS16, is safe and above all is happy. She knows about different cultures and celebrates them.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 18:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

nylucy wrote:

Do you live in PH? Or does your child come from another zone/district? I'm curious: what % of the kids would you say live in the PH area?

In the lower grades of PreK, K, first grade and maybe even second 100% of the kids are from Paulus hook/ps16 zone. The majority of PreK kids from paulus hook are bussed to another school as ps16 only has 30 spots for 4 year olds.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 18:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/9 21:39
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Link to the page on PS 16. Create an account (takes a few seconds) and you can see the high-level perspectives of four parents at the school (from Kindergarten through 4th grade).

http://www.parentheses.co/public-scho ... adford-elementary-school/

Any additional parents out there that want to provide their (anonymous) perspective, please reach out to me.

info@ParenTheses.CO

Posted on: 2014/11/19 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I should probably drop this and just walk away. But I want to clarify that I posted my opinion about the school based on true & personal observation, NOT "(uninformed) thoughts". There's a big difference between the two.

I hope you'd respect me and my opinions (even thought it's not what you like to hear), even if just based on the fact that I took the time to effort to express it.

Quote:

nylucy wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/19 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nylucy wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/19 17:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yes! thank you, I was looking for advice from parents who have children in the school. Are your children happy, social, and learning/engaged from being in larger classrooms? Also, how is the communication with the staff at this school ? As mentioned I've had a hard time getting a response from them and the Parent organization. This has been helpful. Thanks for your replies.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 16:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/6 12:33
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/19 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
@daisyduke: Ah, I'm glad you asked. This specific and special skill is called "observation". As I walked by every day to pick up my own kids from school, I see how these kids react with their peers, and hear the words they use to talk with their friends (or non-friends), and their tone, etc. If one pays any attention, you can learn a lot just by watching. Mind you, that was about 5-6 years ago, so things may be different today.

Also, let me clarify (since some people are not getting it) - I used the label "scary" because if these kids are behaving the way they are at 5th grade, I can't imagine how they'd be when they're in high school / college / as young adults in the work place. On my way home, I also see the kids from Ferris, and sometimes I had wondered if those "scary kids" from PS 16 would become Ferris-like kids in 5-10 years. That's why it's scary.

Now, I'm not saying all kids are scary. But there are enough of these "scary" kids that I decided to send my own kids to OLC - which by the way, is a great school for the tuition we pay. There is a great mix of kids from all over Jersey City, but I'm very happy to report that there are very very few (if any) "scary kids from the wrong side of the town".

And please don't act so alarmed - it's a well known fact that schools are lacking here - both due to the problems within the school system itself, and the attendees (yes, based and/or due to their background / home upbringing) - why do you think there are so many private schools / Montessoris in this area, and most of them are full with waitlists?

Quote:

daisyduke wrote:

Wow! And how could you tell so much from looking at these kids?! "Scary"? Where do your "Not scary" kids go to school? Hopefully not mixing with "people from other parts of town" heaven forbid!

+1.

You'll find that JC has a surprising number of folks who will profess to oppose so-called elitism (which you are implicitly being accused of), and then promptly move their own kids to the burbs in order to avoid "those people."

Posted on: 2014/11/19 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@daisyduke: Ah, I'm glad you asked. This specific and special skill is called "observation". As I walked by every day to pick up my own kids from school, I see how these kids react with their peers, and hear the words they use to talk with their friends (or non-friends), and their tone, etc. If one pays any attention, you can learn a lot just by watching. Mind you, that was about 5-6 years ago, so things may be different today.

Also, let me clarify (since some people are not getting it) - I used the label "scary" because if these kids are behaving the way they are at 5th grade, I can't imagine how they'd be when they're in high school / college / as young adults in the work place. On my way home, I also see the kids from Ferris, and sometimes I had wondered if those "scary kids" from PS 16 would become Ferris-like kids in 5-10 years. That's why it's scary.

Now, I'm not saying all kids are scary. But there are enough of these "scary" kids that I decided to send my own kids to OLC - which by the way, is a great school for the tuition we pay. There is a great mix of kids from all over Jersey City, but I'm very happy to report that there are very very few (if any) "scary kids from the wrong side of the town".

And please don't act so alarmed - it's a well known fact that schools are lacking here - both due to the problems within the school system itself, and the attendees (yes, based and/or due to their background / home upbringing) - why do you think there are so many private schools / Montessoris in this area, and most of them are full with waitlists?

Quote:

daisyduke wrote:

Wow! And how could you tell so much from looking at these kids?! "Scary"? Where do your "Not scary" kids go to school? Hopefully not mixing with "people from other parts of town" heaven forbid!

Posted on: 2014/11/19 1:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
That's my impression too - most of the lower grades in the JC area schools have great kids and families. however, the older grades still have people from other parts of town. I used to walk by PS 16 everyday when school gets out, and the older kids are not someone that I'd like my kids to associate with. Same thing with PS 3 I believe. I have a lot of friends who have their kids in Prek's and loved it there. But the older grades are "scary".

Posted on: 2014/11/18 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LouBelle wrote:
The school goes up to Grade 5 ...Not too sure how "scary" ten year olds are but I haven't witnessed any issues with these kids.

I'm glad most of the out of zone kids are gone. There was this one thick 5th grader who was close to 6 feet when i lived there. He was the one I often saw menacing the other children.

But a quick search of bad 5th graders came up with a few local links,

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/22073625 ... -for-central-park-robbery

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index ... ranklin_borough_home.html

http://www.nj.com/south/index.ssf/200 ... charged_with_armed_r.html

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/ ... ault_with_pellet_gun.html

Posted on: 2014/11/18 21:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
The school goes up to Grade 5 ...Not too sure how "scary" ten year olds are but I haven't witnessed any issues with these kids. Very few kids in the school now are out of zone kids because there's too many of our own kids in zone to accomadate. I believe in the mid 2000s the school was well under capacity so they offered open enrollment. I guess all those single people who moved into the new buildings had kids. I wonder what will happened when all these new high rise residents, that forecasts have predicted will have 1.4 children live there, start having children. The choices for private schools in the neighborhood are pretty much full to capacity too.

Recess is now held in the courtyard right next to the school which is a part of the Paulus Hook 4 corners park. There are plans to build a proper play space here.

My kid is in K. She also completed PreK 4 at 16. My son will go to PreK4 next year.

Check out the cpa blog http://ps16cpablog.wordpress.com/

Posted on: 2014/11/18 14:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/9 21:39
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
As somebody pointed out, www.ParenTheses.CO is a service that was just launched about a week or so ago with the goal of answering these types of questions. We talk to parents who have children in the schools, so you don't have to rely on hearsay, but can instead rely on the in-depth perspectives of parents who have children in the schools. We try to provide an accurate, comprehensive and balanced view of the schools based on parents who have different years of experience at the schools. If you create an account, you can see a high-level summary of what these parents have to say about the school. We also prepare ~30 page reports on the area schools based on the in-depth interviews we conduct with these parents.

Please follow this link for an example of a school report, so that you have an understanding of the depth of information that you would get from a report.

Please follow this link for updates.

Also, please reach out to info@ParenTheses.CO or the number on our site at any time with additional questions that you may have.

Thank you.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 6:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That's my impression too - most of the lower grades in the JC area schools have great kids and families. however, the older grades still have people from other parts of town. I used to walk by PS 16 everyday when school gets out, and the older kids are not someone that I'd like my kids to associate with. Same thing with PS 3 I believe. I have a lot of friends who have their kids in Prek's and loved it there. But the older grades are "scary".

Posted on: 2014/11/18 5:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
When I first moved to JC, I lived right next to this school. Based on my observations from the mid 2000's, the majority of the children did not look like they lived within walking distance of the school. the children's major recess activity was chasing each on the road (sussex was closed off with cones). It seemed, the security's primary role was to protect the children from cars, they did not seem as concerned with protecting them from adults (random people just walking on the street as they kids played) or each other.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 4:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Your PreK child should have sibling preference because you will also have a first grader at the school. Provided there are less than 30 siblings then your child will have a guaranteed spot for PreK4. This school year there are 3 kindergarten classes with 28 kids in each. Next year these kids will move to first grade and squished into 2 classrooms. And that is the problem with PS16....they have too many kids in the lower grades.

The school itself is old but they have a pool and a gym. The teachers are great. The staff seem helpful and friendly. The CPA are very active and organize great after school programs as well as events throughout the year. My child is learning and we are more than happy with her progress. In terms of security, they have cameras on the doors and in the hallways. There's a door buzzer system to get in and a s

Posted on: 2014/11/18 4:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Good Luck with getting in Pre-k, it's a lottery system and I think they have 30 something seats for the whole neighborhood. They will bus they extra kids to the shit parts of town.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 4:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I've never been inside, but I'd be delightfully surprised if it turned out "stunning". The outside is pretty rough.. the address: 96 Sussex St (cross st. Washington).

Posted on: 2014/11/17 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Is that the one that looks like a jail on the outside and is stunning on the inside?

Posted on: 2014/11/17 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/17 19:08

Any Real insight on PS 16?

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hello, We have 2 children and we are zoned for PS 16. in the 2014-2015 school year they will be in 1st grade and PK-4. How safe is this school ? Academically ? Are the children that attend - happy, healthy, and challenged ? I do not have any personal reference for the school and have done some preliminary research. I gather it's good, but has a bit of a cold environment. Any real insight would help. I worry about young forming minds and the safety of where they will spend most of their day. As of now our children attend a great private school that we adore, but the expense is too much of a strain on the family.
I'm also concerned because I've called the school twice with no replies. Thanks in advance !

Posted on: 2014/11/17 18:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017